Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
There is no need to upgrade your tech every year so everyone just chill out and enjoy what you have.

Don’t be in a rush to get the next greatest thing, it’s not gonna make you one of the cool kids.

True. Especially with Apple. I’m still rocking my iPhone X iPad Air 2 and Apple Watch SSSB series 2. All work perfectly.

Reactions: dazed and rjp1

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
That doesn’t hurt Apple... they will eventually pass it off to consumers. Thanks failure of a President
How do you figure that? If they pass it on to the customer and it's too high now and the customer says nope. Now they lose sales. So that does hurt Apple. Unless you think only 1%er's are buying Apple products where the tariffs and cost being passed to the consumer wouldn't affect them as much.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
I hope Apple passes on every cent of the Tariffs to consumers. Why should private companies pay for our President's stupidity? Americans need to pay higher prices and feel the pain caused by our sad excuse for a chief executive. Feel the pain folks...just like American farmers, who need China way more than China needs us.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Am I right to say that this all only affect the prices of Apple products in the US? prices elsewhere in the world will remain unchanged?

Reactions: not_anton

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
Can’t wait for your job to be offshored to India or China or AI.

You want slave labor in China to make your overpriced 50% profit margin device instead of an American because you care about value. Lol
[doublepost=1567205679][/doublepost]
Lets vote for someone who has 6 business bankruptcies in his background. What could happen?

Let’s vote for someone who watches millions of manufacturing jobs go to China because it makes Wallstreet rich.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No sarcasm. Why is China cheating us? They need to stop
The right rewards companies for outsourcing jobs. Where do they go? China. We use them because we need them.

Anyone else tired of all this winning?
[doublepost=1567205779][/doublepost]
Am I right to say that this all only affect the prices of Apple products in the US? prices elsewhere in the world will remain unchanged?
Products in the US will probably be level for a while, but yeah I don't believe this affects any other country.

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
I hope Apple passes on every cent of the Tariffs to consumers. Why should private companies pay for our President's stupidity? Americans need to pay higher prices and feel the pain caused by our sad excuse for a chief executive. Feel the pain folks...just like American farmers, who need China way more than China needs us.

I hope a product made in America takes market share from Apple whose products are made by people who commit suicide the working conditions are so horrible in a country run by a brutal regime that targets homosexuals, other races, other religions.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
You're welcome. Go live in China.

Really?

You want slave labor in China to make your overpriced 50% profit margin device instead of an American because you care about value. Lol

Let’s vote for someone who watches millions of manufacturing jobs go to China because it makes Wallstreet rich.

Your post makes no sense, you are lost in the past. Try getting to know the modern world. China's "slave labor" are hundreds of millions of people who have gone from being poor to reaching the middle class. Those people are the biggest market in the world for US goods. You'd wall off the USA from China, thereby ensuring Americans will lose access to the biggest market opportunity of the century. Whose costing the USA jobs? Attitudes like yours.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Perfect excuse for Apple to increase price spread between iPhones of different storage capacities to improve their already fat margins.

Apple's GPM at 38% with net margin at around 22% are hardly fat.

Apple will just add 15% to the price and everybody can have a nice moan-n-whine. Even better mid December with the higher 25% tariffs.

Reactions: Daekwan

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002
Really?

Your post makes no sense, you are lost in the past. Try getting to know the modern world. China's "slave labor" are hundreds of millions of people who have gone from being poor to reaching the middle class. Those people are the biggest market in the world for US goods. You'd wall of the USA from China, thereby ensuring Americans will lose access to the biggest market opportunity of the century. Whose costing the USA jobs? Attitudes like yours.

We have a $418 billion trade deficit with China. We lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000. The middle class has disappeared in the USA because of WTO bringing in China and NAFTA.

Last edited by a moderator:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
We have a $418 billion trade deficit with China. We lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000. The middle class has disappeared in the USA because of WTO bringing in China and NAFTA.

And those high-paying blue collar manufacturing jobs will never be coming back. Fact.

All the recent job growth has been low wage.

Last edited by a moderator:

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Really?

Your post makes no sense, you are lost in the past. Try getting to know the modern world. China's "slave labor" are hundreds of millions of people who have gone from being poor to reaching the middle class. Those people are the biggest market in the world for US goods. You'd wall off the USA from China, thereby ensuring Americans will lose access to the biggest market opportunity of the century. Whose costing the USA jobs? Attitudes like yours.
We don't make a lot of things in the US anymore. What are we going to be selling to China? Cars? In a year or two, they won't be buying our cars anymore. They ripped off our IP, and their cars are getting to be pretty decent now. They even have EVs now that will be competing with Tesla soon.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania

I do not disagree with the policy. I disagree in how he is executing it. Those jobs are not going to come back if we go into a recession.

Reactions: Sikh

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Tariffs, no tariffs, whatever the case may be, my problem with understanding this president is that he is all over the place.

I don't know how our allies manage to make any sort of agreements with him when he changes his mind and contradicts himself constantly, all while alternately praising and berating their leaders. I don't know how this administration is able to formulate foreign policy.

Domestically, it's been a mixed bag.

It must be hard for Tim Cook to go into these meetings and be told there might be some exemptions for Apple and then have to check Twitter to see where Trump's mind is at for any given moment. What a way to have to do business.

I would love to see China brought to reckoning for their horrible trade practices and their unfettered theft of IP, to name but a couple of areas of concern. So it's kind of gratifying seeing a president get tough on China. But I don't know about Trump's approach. It's been a wild ride with this one. I don't know what to think.

What you call allies are in reality competitors some of them want a weak USA in order to win and conquer. China on the other hand is definitely not an ally to the west. To avoid this situation Apple could choose production plants that are outside China.

The world stage is a chess game you need to be smart and unpredictable in order to win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.