Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
China pays as companies start looking to get out. That’s the whole point of tariffs. To make it more difficult to stay or even consider China.

Good luck for these companies who can find supply chain in other country. Literally no other country can offer all the supply chain necessary for manufacturing, no other country offers infrastructures comparable to China.

Supply chains, infrastructures, talents pools aren’t built overnight. It is extremely complicated to relocate into other country to find all necessary supply chain, necessary infrastructures, capable labors that manufacturers things.

It is laughable for all of you think China is doomed and America will win.

Also, what is the point for this? Even if all companies can move out from China, they aren’t going back to United States of American. The very same people who yelling at punishing China will still be unemployed. Manufacturers and low skill jobs aren’t coming back.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Eh, Apple could handle a 50% tariff with the size of their margins.

No pity here, Apple. Eat up.

yes they also provide a lot of jobs in many countries with those tariffs. If they dont make enough money how are they suppose to pay all their employees

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
yes they also provide a lot of jobs in many countries with those tariffs. If they dont make enough money how are they suppose to pay all their employees
By swallowing their pride and paying the cost with their obnoxiously huge margins. Not to mention they support the unfair conditions in those countries by hiring people in those countries in the first place.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Amazing how so many people (liberals) in the comments here want China to keep ripping off the US. If it wasn't for past administrations letting China to continue taking advantage of the US, we wouldn't have to deal with this now. The US will have to suffer for a little bit while President Trump actually fixes it which other presidents did not even bother trying to do. Can't you people stop listening to the brainwashing media for once and actually think about this. Once this trade war gets resolved, the country and it's companies will be thriving more than they ever did since the 50s!

Amazing that conservatives want to raise taxes on hard-working Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Can’t wait for your job to be offshored to India or China or AI.

You want slave labor in China to make your overpriced 50% profit margin device instead of an American because you care about value. Lol
[doublepost=1567205679][/doublepost]

Let’s vote for someone who watches millions of manufacturing jobs go to China because it makes Wallstreet rich.

If not China, it will be elsewhereZ when China fails, you guys will point fingers to other country and this cycle repeats.

You guys have to short of memory. In 60s and 70s, Japan is the enemy. The Japanese products were inferior and they are killing American companies. Then it is China. Who will be the next.

You really think these manufacturing job will stay inside United States? The very same people who yelling at this moment is the very same people who believe maximize shareholders return. Well, all the manufacturing companies did exactly that. Now they are crying about losing their job.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
California is real America. Non-coastal states have to follow and obey the real Americans, or they will be erased from society.
[doublepost=1567211891][/doublepost]

Amazing that conservatives want to raise taxes on hard-working Americans.
Hahaha since when have conservatives wanted to raise taxes on your paycheck?? I think you got your politics a lil mixed up there

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
You are most welcome.
You can thank me again in 2020 ;)
[doublepost=1567212253][/doublepost]
KKKKKKAAAAAGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAASNDJDHRFJRHRJFRHR!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! IMAFRICKININSAMERACISTMANIACCUZIVOTEDFORTRUMP!!!!!!AIDHFHFFBFIFHFHDH AHHHHHHFJTJFJJFHF!!!!

Edit: just tryin to act the way that all the libz tell me I do.

PS: LONG LIVE RUSSIA!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!?!!!!37474$4$4$

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Do you really think Apple and other massive corporations are paying a fair amount in income taxes? They aren't. By any sane rationale, they're among the worst offenders in tax avoidance.

The argument that their stock will be negatively affected by this in the long term is a fallacious assumption. Long term, the market reacts to relative changes across the entire landscape. Apple stock would only suffer negative long term consequences if they were a singled-out victim of these tariffs. But they aren't. Anybody manufacturing overseas is going to find their products on the ledger in short order.
You didn't answer my question. Why should corporations be taxed?

Corporations should not pay any tax at all. Corporations create jobs and all the net profit that they make should be distributed to the shareholders as dividend. The employees, who get paid salaries by the corporations, and the shareholders, who get dividend, should pay the taxes.

Corporations are nothing other than wealth creating machines. You don't want to cripple the goose that lays golden eggs. Fortunately, anyone can become a shareholder of any corporation. As a shareholder, get paid your dividend and then be taxed on it.

I think the problem is that in the US, corporations are allowed to be publicly traded without paying out dividend. If we had a law stating that publicly traded corporations must pay dividend, the stock would be valued based on the percentage of the profit paid to shareholders as dividend. Therefore, the more dividend a corporation pays, the higher its shares would be valued. The corporations would then be incentivized to pay higher dividend instead of stashing the profits in the bank like what Apple is doing. The more dividend a corporation would pay out, the more shareholders would get paid, and the more the government would get via tax on the shareholders' dividend.

Last edited:
Reactions: markpalmer

Vasilioskn

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
New York
[doublepost=1567212253][/doublepost]
KKKKKKAAAAAGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAASNDJDHRFJRHRJFRHR!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! IMAFRICKININSAMERACISTMANIACCUZIVOTEDFORTRUMP!!!!!!AIDHFHFFBFIFHFHDH AHHHHHHFJTJFJJFHF!!!!

Edit: just tryin to act the way that all the libz tell me I do.

PS: LONG LIVE RUSSIA!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!?!!!!37474$4$4$
Was this a trump tweet , I seriously can’t tell anymore lol

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Not a political post.

Does anyone know if Apple is going to absorb?

Sorry if asked and answered I am running around the sideline of a football game.
They certainly have the margins to do so. I can tell ya that much. Guess we’ll see how much they care about their valued customers :D
[doublepost=1567212508][/doublepost]
Was this a trump tweet , I seriously can’t tell anymore lol
Yes. Isn’t that how all trump voters act??
[doublepost=1567213049][/doublepost]
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... By paying up for our nationalistic, protectionist bribe sucker....

"Actually, it benefits Americans to pay more for stuff. That gives us an opportunity to make that stuff here less efficiently, and still pay more for it, which you would know if you didn't hate America." - Sheep
If you wanna keep gettin bent over by China, then you keep thinkin that buddy.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Thank you to all Trump voters.
Welcome. You can thank me again in 2020
[doublepost=1567213269][/doublepost]
Don't worry, China is begging for a trade deal, right?

It'll happen sooner, or later, or maybe never. But in the meanwhile, hang on Americans!
Lol “hang on Americans” was the exact same thing Obama was telling us. The only difference is that Trump’s got the ballz to do somethin bout it

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I spend summers in Canada. I don't understand this argument. The CAD/USD exchange rate is just that - an exchange rate. Who says that one Canadian Dollar should be equal one US Dollar? The Australian Dollar to USD exchange rate is even more lopsided. It's not about the exchange rate; it's about how much people get paid. If an average US salary is USD $60,000 (just an example), and an average Canadian salary were CAD $80,000, the purchasing power would be very similar.

I found that the prices of most products in Canada are similar to the prices for similar products in the US when the exchange rate is applied. So, the problem is that the Canadian salaries are lower than US salaries based on the exchange rate. I recall that about 15 years or so, the Canadian dollar was at parity with the US dollar. Maybe NAFTA wasn't good for you guys either. Your prices should not climb when your dollar falls against the US dollar. You guys make a lot of things domestically: agricultural products, electricity, cars, airplanes, train cars, etc. There is no reason why groceries in your stores should not be tied to your salaries, especially because you are protecting your agriculture from US farmers pretty seriously. Meat, milk, cheeses, grains etc. are all produced by Canadian farmers. Therefore, if the Canadian farmers get paid less than US farmers (when converted to US dollars), the food should also cost less than it does in the US. However, food costs about the same in Canada when converted to US dollars. I see that you guys are left with much less money once you pay the prices and the taxes. However, you don't have to worry about medical bills, which is a huge plus.

Yes they are similar to you because you make and exchange US $'s and get more in Canadian dollars.

#1 Canadian average salaries approx. the same as Americans but in Canadian dollars:

"According to the website numbeo.com, the average income of an American and a Canadian are approximately the same amount. Canada's after-tax monthly income is about $3,000 which totals around $36,000 per year. The U.S. sits just below Canada at approximately $2,942 per month, or roughly $35,300 per year.
Food is much more costly in Canada. One kilogram of chicken breasts costs around $6.50 in the United States, while it averages almost $11 in Canada. A mid-range, three-course meal for two in Canada ends up costing $60. In the U.S. you are only paying about $44. Finally, clothing is more expensive in Canada than in the United States. A $40 pair of Levi's jeans in the States will run you about $55 in Canada."

Canadians pay more income tax than most American's. Pay more sales tax then every american I believe, lowest provincial sales tax is 12%. Exchange rate like +30% right now. So the purchasing power isn't similar.

There are also plenty of medical bills we have to pay for as well the only thing that is paid for is doctor visits and operations. Dental, physio, chiro, therapy etc you have to pay for or have benefits that pay for a portion of it through work. I'm not going to family doctor or getting an operation on the daily so it's not exactly a costs savings.

I'm not going to comment on Australia and other countries because I have no idea.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Just about everything is going up because of these tariffs. Was just talking my local bike shop, they are no longer selling kids bikes because they have gone up about $120 each. So, I a nice kids bike that would cost about $100, is $220 now.
[doublepost=1567202470][/doublepost]

I'm assuming you forgot the /s...
Lol the liberal media that you watch and all the dems are leading you astray. It is no where near as bad as what they’re saying. My uncle owns a furniture store and he said there has been zero affect. He said most of his suppliers just moved their businesses to Vietnam and costs didn’t go up a single penny. I work IT for a public school district and we have switched to suppliers in TEXAS that give us higher quality products for lower costs. Consumers are freaking out saying “end of world, death to trump” while businesses are saying “well, guess we’ll just go somewhere else. Done.”

MNJohn

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014
Just want to note -- we (USA) have to pay tariffs for products exported to China. In spite of the INSANE amount of products we buy from China, they still hold that over us. Trump said on the campaign trail that he, "believes in free trade, but fair trade." This is just the US holding China to the same standard they're holding us to.
[doublepost=1567210152][/doublepost]

Revenue: $655 million (2017)

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trump_Organization

Take a business class. Revenue does NOT equal profit.

Reactions: tzm41 and Mailia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.