Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I should also note that one of the first things I did was to calibrate the display with 1one. So the brightness is set at medium-high. In case brightness matters...

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
This new one is definitely blurrier when scrolling. I have been absolutely a read-while-scrolling guy, so I feared this 16" was going to suck. It is blurrier when scrolling for sure, but I don't notice the ghosting at any other times, and it snaps into clarity instantly as soon as I stop scrolling - it seems I am able to adapt without any problem. And the scrolling blurring, while hard to quantify, is not horrible. I am a photographer, and the improvement for most things in Lightroom and Photoshop are dramatic enough that the overall improvement is all around delightful
You have the issue we are describing.

Looks like it is just not as bothering to you aa it is to some of us. Good for you!

In short, the summary of the whole issue so far seems that, the 16” does have a slower pixel response rate (also scientifically measured by notebookcheck.com) compared to all previous generations of MacBooks (incl. 2016-2019 15.4” ones). It definitively is very visibly bad compared to my 2014 MBP. So it looks like it comes down to how we all perceive this slowness - for me personally, it just crossed the threshold of being acceptable [compared to my 2014 MBP].

Too bad for me (and others in that camp), I suppose. Maybe I should get one of them 2019 15" Macbooks of similar config... cheaper but I hate that keyboard when I tried it. So the wait begins again.
[automerge]1576163346[/automerge]
I should also note that one of the first things I did was to calibrate the display with 1one. So the brightness is set at medium-high. In case brightness matters...
Hi, would u be willing to share your ICC profile with me for testing purposes?
Thanks!

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Sure, here it is, attached.
In terms of the perception vs problem I would expect I would be bothered by it; I was all set to be bothered by it; I definitely tend to read while scrolling instead of discrete chunk-scroll. And all in all it really doesn't bother me very much at all, so far. It's maybe like I bought a new Porsche and it had a scratch on the door. Damn, that sucks, but -- a Porsche! And for me it's more like a scratch on the door than a bent rim or misfiring engine or something. I really do wonder if there is some variability. This is a relatively recent model with a late November build date. I'll check at my semi-local reseller when I get a chance, to see if their models are the same, but I won't have a chance for quite a while.
[automerge]1576164842[/automerge]
I also do a bit of coding, though far less than I used to. I just opened up Sublime Text and started working on some code, and the screen looks crisp and brilliant. Moving through the page of code -- no problem. My Porsche analogy -- in this case very tiny scratch on the door, car sure is nice.

Attachments

• Color LCD_20191211.icc.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Reactions: sat24

-Shock-

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Will you please share your panel model so that others will know your calibration file lines up with the same model number?

Here's the terminal string again to get that info:
ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Mine was:
Color LCD

LP160WT1-SJA1

DCN9372015QLP0J7L
In terms of the perception vs problem I would expect I would be bothered by it; I was all set to be bothered by it; I definitely tend to read while scrolling instead of discrete chunk-scroll. And all in all it really doesn't bother me very much at all, so far. It's maybe like I bought a new Porsche and it had a scratch on the door. Damn, that sucks, but -- a Porsche! And for me it's more like a scratch on the door than a bent rim or misfiring engine or something. I really do wonder if there is some variability. This is a relatively recent model with a late November build date. I'll check at my semi-local reseller when I get a chance, to see if their models are the same, but I won't have a chance for quite a while.
I also do a bit of coding, though far less than I used to. I just opened up Sublime Text and started working on some code, and the screen looks crisp and brilliant. Moving through the page of code -- no problem. My Porsche analogy -- in this case very tiny scratch on the door, car sure is nice.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks much, I do appreciate it. Will try the ICC profile later tonight.

As to your analogy (good one), for me its like there's a huge scratch on my windshield (note: driver's side) and I am having a hard time unseeing it. Sure enough, I don't see it when I am driving at 100mph (or 140Kmph :)) on the highway/tracks [focused on the road], but it bothers me when I driving it in the in-streets.

PS:
Driving in the streets - reading forums, mainly in dark mode
Highway/Tracks - doing professional activities [that involve less scrolling] like coding in XCode, VSCode; image/video processing (C1, FCPX), or graphics (Unity, Blender).

PS2: You may have convinced me to do one last replace (would be Unit#3) before I return.

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

-Shock-

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Also, the Notebookcheck calibration ICC file is located in the display review section. Unclear which panel they have on test unit, but here is the link.

For anyone who is new to installing custom profiles, they go in the directory:
HD>Library>Colorsync You can just search for ColorSync in finder to locate this folder quickly.

Then the option to choose that profile will appear under system prefs, display, color.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...5500M-powered-multimedia-laptop.445902.0.html

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 10.44.46 AM.png

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Also, the Notebookcheck calibration ICC file is located in the display review section. Unclear which panel they have on test unit, but here is the link.

For anyone who is new to installing custom profiles, they go in the directory:
HD>Library>Colorsync You can just search for ColorSync in finder to locate this folder quickly.

Then the option to choose that profile will appear under system prefs, display, color.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...5500M-powered-multimedia-laptop.445902.0.html

View attachment 882340
Already tried the notebookcheck ICC profile last night (good idea!). Sadly, no differences from ghosting standpoint.

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I'm actually finding the keyboard to be much harder to get used to than the screen, in terms of adjustment. My old late 2013 r 15 inch (and I think the 2014s had the same) was peak keyboard for the macbook pro. Loving the screen, not loving the keyboard yet.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Do you notice the "streaking" of the text on which your eye is focused on? Like as if the white text is wet paint.

I notice it a little bit, but I hardily feel it is an issue since I don't really read moving text. I would have never noticed if it were not talked about.

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I definitely don't notice anything like that! I've been coding all morning, Sublime Text, dark background with bright if not white text, BBEdit white text over charcoal. Scrolling. It is fine. I won the panel lottery.
[automerge]1576168861[/automerge]
It's not like the text is wet paint, just a very slight blur as it moves.

intrepidcase

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2019
Here's mine - LP160WT1-SJA1.

Interesting yours says 2 at the end, while mine says 1. Perhaps yours is the 2nd version of the panel? What is your manufacturer date (mine is 2019-10-24)? And does the display show ghosting? Thanks in advance.

2019-11-13 [EDIT: that was battery date, the laptop was built on 2019-11-18]
Ghosting seems on par with my late 2013 MBP.

Last edited:

-Shock-

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
2019-11-13
Ghosting seems on par with my late 2013 MBP.

Mine is the version 1 panel, manufacture date 9/30/19 per coconutbattery
Interestingly, I got at Best Buy earlier this week, after several cycles of out-of-stocks at that location (I was price watching).

Ghosting worse than my Early 2015 13" mbpro. No measurements to compare.
Similar ghosting effect to my work laptop (Lenovo t460) which has notebookcheck measurements that are close to the 16 in.

Very noticeable for me, coming from 144hz monitors.
If you have gone from OLED to LCD iPhone or back, similar feeling. Scrolling with inertia really shows slow response/blurry text/trailing on LCD iPhones.

Not unusable, just something I wish was better.

Last edited:

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Date 11-25. Ghosting is not a problem. Noticeable slight scrolling blur compared to my late 2013 rmbp 15", but nothing to complain about. I've continued coding all morning with bright text against dark, scrolling through pages of code. No complaint.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
I notice it a little bit, but I hardily feel it is an issue since I don't really read moving text. I would have never noticed if it were not talked about.
The thing is my daily driver is a Surface Book 2 and it’s pixel response rate is very good (per me, and per notebookcheck site). So I get double whammied when I switch and leaves me feeling disappointed. I do read text as it scrolls by as I got used to it on the surface book 2.

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Just got the 16inch two hours ago from a nearby store.
Maxed out except 8TB and 64GB RAM. (Got 2TB and 32GB RAM).

Great machine.

-Haven't noticed any annoying ghosting. Also comparing it side by side with my 2017 15inch MBP.

-No popping sound. (I have tested with Youtube and Vimeo. Will test with FCPX in a few mins.)

-Unfortunately there is coil whine but I just notice it when I get my ears close to the keyboard. Will keep on testing it though. Hopefully won't be annoying.

-Oh and sometimes there is a stutter when moving the mouse.. I guess that's software related and hopefully will be solved.

Though I liked the feeling of the butterfly keyboard, this new one is also pretty nice. Reminds me of my 2008 15inch MBP...

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Just got the 16inch two hours ago from a nearby store.
Maxed out except 8TB and 64GB RAM. (Got 2TB and 32GB RAM).

Great machine.

-Haven't noticed any annoying ghosting. Also comparing it side by side with my 2017 15inch MBP.

-No popping sound. (I have tested with Youtube and Vimeo. Will test with FCPX in a few mins.)

-Unfortunately there is coil whine but I just notice it when I get my ears close to the keyboard. Will keep on testing it though. Hopefully won't be annoying.

-Oh and sometimes there is a stutter when moving the mouse.. I guess that's software related and hopefully will be solved.

Though I liked the feeling of the butterfly keyboard, this new one is also pretty nice. Reminds me of my 2008 15inch MBP...
Great to hear ghosting isn’t as much of (or not) a problem. Can u post your manufacturer date and the LCD panel model? (Please see previous posts for how)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Great to hear ghosting isn’t as much of (or not) a problem. Can u post your manufacturer date and the LCD panel model? (Please see previous posts for how)
to be honest with you, i never noticed the ghosting until this thread and when i look for it on the 16", my previous 2017 15", and my external displays i can see it only in a small number of circumstances (almost non-exsistent on the LG 5k)

if i hadn't come across this thread, i wouldn't have noticed anything so thanks everyone for that

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Excuse my ignorance.....would this ghosting, if it is as bad as these posts suggest...be noticeable to a layman when watching movies/streaming content? Coming from a 2015 MacBook Pro 15.

Most of the posts here concentrate on scrolling. I'd be happy with horrific scrolling but ghosting during a fast-action sequence in media would be unnacceptable.

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Definitely not seeing anything remotely like that. Media is fine, for me. Even the scrolling is very far from "horrific." I do think there must be a panel lottery -- and maybe the earlier panels were the bad ones? Or maybe better and worse ones will swap in and out with supply?

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Definitely not seeing anything remotely like that. Media is fine, for me. Even the scrolling is very far from "horrific." I do think there must be a panel lottery -- and maybe the earlier panels were the bad ones? Or maybe better and worse ones will swap in and out with supply?
It's probably just personal sensitivity to slow response times since some people have tested all units on demo and found them ghosting and others barely notice it. I'm def not seeing the ghosting people are talking about on demo units in store.

jlehet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Personal sensitivity is certainly a reasonable explanation, though in my post above it appears that my display is a different model number from one that had ghosting, if you read back a little bit today. I find it really hard to believe anyone would find this display on mine to be unacceptably bad. I spent a day scrolling code in light on black, no problem. I'm very picky, visually. I expected to be upset about the quality of this display, reading here before I got it. In fact my reaction is far from disappointment. Who knows. It will be interesting to see if the problem persists as later build date BTO models are shipped more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.