Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
LP160WT1-SJA3 here, nothing unusual to report...
Oh boy!!! A3 now. That's great! First sighting of the 3rd revision of this panel. This is looking good.

Can you please tell us what the manufacturer date of this mac is? CoconutBattery provides this information.

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
Sure, here it is, attached.
In terms of the perception vs problem I would expect I would be bothered by it; I was all set to be bothered by it; I definitely tend to read while scrolling instead of discrete chunk-scroll. And all in all it really doesn't bother me very much at all, so far. It's maybe like I bought a new Porsche and it had a scratch on the door. Damn, that sucks, but -- a Porsche! And for me it's more like a scratch on the door than a bent rim or misfiring engine or something. I really do wonder if there is some variability. This is a relatively recent model with a late November build date. I'll check at my semi-local reseller when I get a chance, to see if their models are the same, but I won't have a chance for quite a while.
[automerge]1576164842[/automerge]
I also do a bit of coding, though far less than I used to. I just opened up Sublime Text and started working on some code, and the screen looks crisp and brilliant. Moving through the page of code -- no problem. My Porsche analogy -- in this case very tiny scratch on the door, car sure is nice.
Thanks for the ICC profile. Confirming that it doesnt fix any ghosting for me (panel version in my sig).

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Excuse my ignorance.....would this ghosting, if it is as bad as these posts suggest...be noticeable to a layman when watching movies/streaming content? Coming from a 2015 MacBook Pro 15.

Most of the posts here concentrate on scrolling. I'd be happy with horrific scrolling but ghosting during a fast-action sequence in media would be unnacceptable.
There's no ghosting in video as far as I can tell, and the scrolling is far from "horrific." Honestly, I feel like way too much is being made of this. I can put my 2009, 2014 and 2016 MBPs side by side with the 16" and not see a noticeable difference in how the screens perform, so I really don't get why people are treating this as a huge issue with the 16". Now, you can certain make the argument that the 16" should have a better screen with a higher refresh rate for what it costs, but I don't buy the idea that it's suddenly so much worse that what came before it.

Reactions: paddylaz

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Great to hear ghosting isn’t as much of (or not) a problem. Can u post your manufacturer date and the LCD panel model? (Please see previous posts for how)

No ghosting for me. At least, the screen does not annoy me while scrolling up and down. Wouldn't notice anything if I didn't read Macrumors :)

Is my display one of the earliest ones to be produced ? Manufacture date also looks early.

Color LCD

LP160WT1-SJA1

DCN942200J1LP0J8G

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 21.52.38.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 21.52.38.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: G5isAlive and sat24

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Oh boy!!! A3 now. That's great! First sighting of the 3rd revision of this panel. This is looking good.

Can you please tell us what the manufacturer date of this mac is? CoconutBattery provides this information.

12/02 manufacture date. 4th unit after I discovered the hinge on the 3rd one would make noises occasionally o_O this one’s a keeper though.

Reactions: sat24

protean6

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2019
Experiencing fairly severe ghosting on a default config i9 (manufactured: 2019-09-23, display: LP160WT1-SJA2).
As others have noted, the problem seems to be worse when the display is 'cold' (first use of the day, etc.), or ambient temps are low.
As someone who spends a lot of time coding in dark mode, this flaw is an unfortunate dealbreaker for an otherwise great machine, and I'll be returning it this weekend.

In my case, it is certainly a noticeable degradation in response rate from the 2015 15" MBP I've used for the last 4 years.

I think there is some validity to the idea that some people will be more sensitive than others to variations in response rate. The other monitor I use regularly is 240hz/1ms, so I'm probably more likely to notice and be bothered by such differences.

That said, with the 2015 15", it never once crossed my mind that I was using a lower refresh/response rate display.
With the 16", it was immediately apparent.

Last edited:

Eliezerrrrrrr

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
So the only reason I have yet to upgrade my 2015 MBP to the new 16" is due to the ghosting issue.
Has Apple released any info about getting this fixed? Is there a chance of a fixed model coming out in the next few months?

NeroAugustus

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
Just thought I'd had some info, I have the LP160WT1-SJA2 panel and like I said I also don't notice extreme ghosting at all, just a slower screen compared to my 144hz gaming monitor, obviously.

When scrolling in this thread, I can read the text assuming I don't go fast, it'll be slightly blurry but absolutely readable.

Manufacturing date 02/12.

Invisabit

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2019
I have the SJA2 panel with the manufacturing date of 11/11 and I notice a good amount of ghosting (seems to be most noticeable if you open the settings menu in dark mode and slowly drag around the screen).

The macbook has been left in a cold basement overnight (55 degrees), will this permanently worsen the ghosting or does the temperature change only temporarily affect the refresh rate? Wondering if I should return and get a new model.

stephanc

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
My laptop arrived half an hour ago.

LP160WT1-SJA4
2019-12-02
A4! Good. I am about to order. Please let us know how your machine works
(If you order directly from Apple.com it will be the very latest. Not stocked. Correct my if I am wrong)

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
(If you order directly from Apple.com it will be the very latest. Not stocked. Correct my if I am wrong)
In my case, it says my config can be delivered tomorrow (it’s the 32gb/2tb one they sell in stores) so not sure if that means latest (doesn’t sound like it)

Reactions: stephanc

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Well I have Waited to purchase, and just been to view the 16 MPB in our local uk electrical store Currys. even the windows bow and distort when dragging them around!!

I have a 2012 retina and I have to say the store model is 5 times worse and it’s sickening to look at, are they all like it? It reminded me of the old TN screens from years back!

so glad I held off I was pretty shocked at the low response time of the 16.

Reactions: simonmet

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015

So I have tried both dark mode and light mode. Scrolling text seems fine to me, a slight amount maybe of ghosting in dark mode but nothing that bothers me. It is more pronounced dragging windows around in dark mode in a circle. The thing is though I am sat next to a 2019 5K iMac and it is no different to that.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
So I have tried both dark mode and light mode. Scrolling text seems fine to me, a slight amount maybe of ghosting in dark mode but nothing that bothers me. It is more pronounced dragging windows around in dark mode in a circle. The thing is though I am sat next to a 2019 5K iMac and it is no different to that.
Thanks! Does the white text on black bgnd in this forum “bleed” like wet paint for instance as u smooth scroll at Med speed?

Glad u r finding it ok when comparing with a desktop Mac because the desktop macs did not have this problem at all to my eyes when I checked at the store.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks! Does the white text on black bgnd in this forum “bleed” like wet paint for instance as u smooth scroll at Med speed?

Glad u r finding it ok when comparing with a desktop Mac because the desktop macs did not have this problem at all to my eyes when I checked at the store.

No just checked again and mine isn't doing that.

• Love

Lukáš Ernst

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Hello from Czech, i have LP160WT1-SJA2 with little ghosting (before i have 13"2016 without ghosting and with better bright i think). I thinking about return my laptop and wait for next display revision too...

Can Badsimian make some test (ufotest atc...)a dn post screens/video for confrime the rev.4 of displeys is good and ghosting is gone.

Thx

Reactions: simonmet and sat24

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
Hello from Czech, i have LP160WT1-SJA2 with little ghosting (before i have 13"2016 without ghosting and with better bright i think). I thinking about return my laptop and wait for next display revision too...

Can Badsimian make some test (ufotest atc...)a dn post screens/video for confrime the rev.4 of displeys is good and ghosting is gone.

Thx
Any instructions on what I need to do?

Lukáš Ernst

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
see some post from first, second, atc. pages of this thread. You can use ufotest.com (select ghosting test) and make photo with phone, or you can record video (slowmo is best for capture ghosting level).

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
see some post from first, second, atc. pages of this thread. You can use ufotest.com (select ghosting test) and make photo with phone, or you can record video (slowmo is best for capture ghosting level).

UFO and drag tests

Both ufo and dragging test. The dragging test is a 240fps taken with an iPhone 11. I have seen models in shops and I would say they look worse than mine does and mine is comparable with the iMac 2019 I have here as well.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
UFO and drag tests

Both ufo and dragging test. The dragging test is a 240fps taken with an iPhone 11. I have seen models in shops and I would say they look worse than mine does and mine is comparable with the iMac 2019 I have here as well.

I posted this earlier and am going to post it again. That's going to occur with any camera when you take a photo like that. The camera is going to pick up blurred artifacts because the transition happens to fast for it to capture. I can do that with literally any screen and it will look the same. The level of blur is going to depend on the point at which you snapped the photo. If it was during the fastest part of the transition the blur will be more.

Here is my wife's MacBook Air. I guess it has ghosting too?

IMG_0804.jpg

And my iMac 5K is also Ghosting I guess:

IMG_0807.jpg

And our iPad Pro with ProMotion display also has ghosts:

IMG_0811.jpg

And I don't know why anyone cares what a screen looks like in slow motion. You don't look at your screen in slow motion and EVERY screen is going to show some blur when you watch it slowed down.

Someone posted that they see some ghosting when they quickly drag the settings screen around in dark mode? Ok, at what point are you doing that every day to a level that you are going to let it bother you?

This is very similar to the iPhone threads where someone swears up and down they have a yellowish oled screen. Return after return with pictures posted and then they finally get one with a different manufacturing date and are convinced that because it was manufactured later that its fixed. They have pictures to prove it, unfortunately the photos only show that their screen looks exactly like the 5 previous models they had before.

stephanc

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2019
Definitely not seeing anything remotely like that. Media is fine, for me. Even the scrolling is very far from "horrific." I do think there must be a panel lottery -- and maybe the earlier panels were the bad ones? Or maybe better and worse ones will swap in and out with supply?
Agree. I have checked 2 more MBP 16"s and they are not even close. I have scrolling and moving windows on MBP 16, my 2015 15" and my 2013 13". No big differens at all. In fact I found the 16" screen very responsive. When you really looking hard on white text on black you found it a bit more blurry. Or maybe not. Returning home, testing 15" and 13". I found it almost identical blurry-wise.

My conclusion, after several days interesting readings and testing, is that we are dealing with bad batches (software or hardware. Or a combination).

1. For those that have already bought bad MBPs: send them back to Apple ASAP.
2. For those that have already bought good MBPs: be happy.
3. For those that have not yet bought a MBP: wait 4-6 weeks.

For category 3 gays I would order a MBP via apple.com. When I ordered my latest MBP and ordered two for my office, they came directly from China with a tracking numbers. Very quick delivery. If I remember right 4-5 days. This minimize the risk of old stored MBPs.

Interesting note:
On the Apple site they say: delivery 17 Dec. Then, when you start to get closer to the checkout, delivery change to 9 Jan - 13 Jan. (I conducted this test 2 minutes ago)

17 dec is standard configuration
9 Jan - 13 Jan is when you change GPU memory from 4 to 8 GB. This MBP will be setup for you in China. i.e brand new.

Anecdote: If your brand new Electrolux refrigerator starts to make irritating noises you replace it with a new one. You don't buy an other brand because you know that Electrolux is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.