Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
So as you know 1Password is forcing you to the subscription model which is something I refuse to pay for a simple piece of software that is basically a glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser. I am fed up of subscription model and greedy companies that abuses it. I have already paid license which I believe was $60 twice for an upgrade making the total $120.

Please share your experiences with trustworthy password managers. I have already tried Bitwarden, its an option but the GUI is ugly that could use real work and the browser plugin is just too much imo. I also didn't had an issue where if you have multiple accounts it will only auto fill the top one meanwhile 1password gives you the option to choose which one to use. Another thing is I want to store my password locally and not in the cloud, not sure why everyone is forcing a cloud account.

I could be wrong but LastPass seems untrust worthy, I heard a lot of shady issues with them.

---TL;DR---

After much research, these are the better options out there.
AgileBits is officially evil for me with dark pattern business behaviour.

The following are suggestions but not recommendations

--Multiplatform--

EnPass: near 1:1 replica of 1password, has license but I am scared they abandon it and turn evil in the future. But they just reintroduced it. ($40 on StackSocial over the regular $80)

Codebook: Autofills only in the Safari browser (LINK)

StickyPassword: looks promising but never tried it and don't know much about it.

SafeInCloud : Developed by 1 guy but seems popular

--FOSS--

ّ-Bitwarden : best FOSS imo but uses their cloud storage. You can use your own storage but complicated to setup.
( Bitwarden Mini Review )

---

All apps based on KeePass use same database file format (KDBX) and can sync with each other. Extensions, desktop, and smartphone apps:

-KeePass: Windows only (KDBX)

-KeePassXC Uglist and most unintuitive password manager I saw but works, desktop only (KDBX)

-Keeweb.info desktop only (KDBX)

-MacPass: mac desktop only (KDBX)

-Keepassium: Apple only (KDBX)

-KeePassDX : Android only (KDBX)

--If you don't mind subscription but don't want to deal with 1PW/Agilebits any more---

ProtonPass
:- Free

Roboform:- $23/year (has local storage option, no Cloud sync needed)

Dashlane:- $60/year

PasswordBoss: $30/year

EnPass:- has subscription option for $24/year

Keeper:- $35/year

--If you are on Apple only devices---

-Strongbox (KDBX)
-Minimalist
-
Secrets

all made by smaller teams nearly only 1 developer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I use Enpass. Unfortunately, they went rogue a while ago as well, and just like 1Password it is only available via subscription. Which is why I can no longer recommend Enpass to anyone. So basically what I'm saying is that I have a recommendation that works great but that I can no longer recommend. Sorry :(

Edit: looks like I was wrong. Enpass seems to have reintroduced the one-time license again. Maybe their subscription model didn't work as well as expected, who knows? Either way, since you can once again purchase a standalone perpetual lifetime license I can safely recommend Enpass.

Last edited:

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Enpass offers extensive support for importing from other password managers, among others 1Password via either 1PIF or CSV.

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 11.56.37 AM.png

I can't comment on how well it works though as I have only imported from KeepassX in the past.

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
any easy way to transfer my 420 items from 1 password to enpass?

Out of curiosity I tried Enpass. Subscription “issue” aside, it’s quite similar to 1Password. I successfully and easily imported the whole vault.

Its GUI is just a little less polished to my eyes in comparison with 1Password with some graphical glitches here and there (nothing really serious, though).

The subscription is cheaper – the syncing storage isn’t included, though. It works with self hosted servers (WebDAV/Nextcloud) and iCloud, which is nice.

I’m still on the fence, trying to figure out which one to choose when 1Password 8 will roll out.

Reactions: ad2san

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Offical link for enpass?

thx found it:

wait? is this an electron app? if so. will pass.

I wish (but do not know) if Keychain has 3rd party APIs enough where someone could just make a front end for that. allow grouping. nicer interface. etc.

would be my dream now that 1password took a ton of VC money and thinks a cross platform POS framework called Electron is where they should have spent the money on.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The subscription is cheaper – the syncing storage isn’t included, though. It works with self hosted servers (WebDAV/Nextcloud) and iCloud, which is nice.
I would phrase it differently than you. True, the cloud storage isn't included but unlike 1Password it doesn't force you to use its own in-house cloud service without giving you a choice but allows you to freely choose between a variety of trusted providers including iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, and even local folder sync using your own sync backend if that's floats your boat. To me, that alone is a no-brainer. Plus, cloud sync is completely optional and all vaults are always local. Again, unlike 1Password that will no longer support local vaults and local sync with v8.

It is also available as a one-time perpetual license, albeit admittedly at a quite expensive $80.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I use Enpass. Unfortunately, they went rogue a while ago as well, and just like 1Password it is only available via subscription. Which is why I can no longer recommend Enpass to anyone. So basically what I'm saying is that I have a recommendation that works great but that I can no longer recommend. Sorry :(

Edit: looks like I was wrong. Enpass seems to have reintroduced the one-time license again. Maybe their subscription model didn't work as well as expected, who knows? Either way, since you can once again purchase a standalone perpetual lifetime license I can safely recommend Enpass.

If you would be willing to, I want to know about one process from you - changing passwords on a website.

With 1Password 7
Suppose I want to change the password on a website, I go the change password screen, fill in my old password, generate a new password using 1Password and change it. 1Password updates the vault entry with the new password and shows a password history containing the old password.

With Enpass
I am new to Enpass - 1 day old to be precise. I tried changing a password on a website using Enpass.
- filled in my old password using Enpass
- generated a new password using Enpass (all manual since autofill is not supported yet).

But, the vault entry still contained the old password - new password was not updated here. I could not find it anywhere. Then I decided to go back to the page to change password, and then I realised (to my relief and surprise) there is a section of Enpass that is not available anywhere else (at least to me) where I could see the changed password. I promptly copied it over.

This left a bad taste in the mouth. I am sure this is not how it is done, otherwise there is no way they would remain in business.

So, would you kindly let me know what did I miss here? I am using Safari 15 on macOS 12 beta. Except this issue, I liked Enpass - solid performer, and autofill is under development as well, hopefully to come out soon. I got a year's worth of Premium for USD 1 yesterday, so took that versus the lifetime. Will get the lifetime license later if I can get help with this issue that I faced.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
any easy way to transfer my 420 items from 1 password to enpass?

Enpass offers extensive support for importing from other password managers, among others 1Password via either 1PIF or CSV.

View attachment 1818277

I can't comment on how well it works though as I have only imported from KeepassX in the past.

The import works beautifully and flawlessly. There are so many options available to use.

You would not know if the passwords were imported or created naively in Enpass. Everything is there, including timestamps from 1Password for when they were created and modified. That's a nice touch.

Except for that one issue relating to changing passwords on websites, I was dead set on Enpass.. I hope @mj_ might be able to shed some light on this. I do not want to use Bitwarden when I can pay less, sync with iCloud and have an equally nice experience. Another thing to note is that Bitwarden limits the item types in the vault to only 4. I could not have "just passwords" in the vault. Enpass, it allows nearly anything, and naively imported all passwords from 1Password under the type Password just fine with zero errors. It really is a fine piece of software. I, again, hope that someone here is able to help me with that lone issue ... that changed password not getting updated in the vault gave a momentary scare.

Reactions: ad2san

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
If you would be willing to, I want to know about one process from you - changing passwords on a website.
I've tried changing my password here on MacRumors, and it's actually quite simple. When I open the "change password" page in my profile and attempt to fill the existing password form Enpass it will ask me whether or not I would like to generate a new one and pre-fill it. Once I hit yes it fills all three password fields, the "current password" with my current password and the two "new password" with my newly generated password. As soon as I click submit it asks me whether or not I wand to save the new password and update my existing vault entry for MacRumors.

For this to work you will have to use the Safari extension though as it does all the heavy lifting in this case.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Just store the passwords in Numbers. It is free. I don't mind the subscription fee for 1Password. I trust it and I see that with that revenue, they are able to keep on improving it. It is one of the few subscriptions I have other than Apple One and SetApp that are mandatory for me. SetApp has something called "Secrets" that is one of the many applications they provide but I prefer 1Password. Maybe SetApp is something else to consider using the Secrets App.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I've tried changing my password here on MacRumors, and it's actually quite simple. When I open the "change password" page in my profile and attempt to fill the existing password form Enpass it will ask me whether or not I would like to generate a new one and pre-fill it. Once I hit yes it fills all three password fields, the "current password" with my current password and the two "new password" with my newly generated password. As soon as I click submit it asks me whether or not I wand to save the new password and update my existing vault entry for MacRumors.

For this to work you will have to use the Safari extension though as it does all the heavy lifting in this case.

Okay, I was indeed using Safari extension for this, but on a bank's website. Maybe that was why I did not get a single notification query as you said.. about filling old and new, about updating. Nothing. I had to do everything manually, tapping the extension on and on for various fields. let me try on MR here and see how that goes.

Thank you for your response!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I would refrain from using Enpass, they have showed to be very unproffesional not addressing some bug that causes you to have some Enpass files associated to your Apple ID FOREVER, even when you disable it, uninstall it, or delete your account.

I have the file on my mac iCloud files, and there is no way to remove it. On their forum there are post from years ago, all closed because they don’t know how to fix it. I opened another one months ago, and nothing, they say they are working on it, but I doubt they actually are. As I said, I found them pretty unprofesional.

You can find more info about this on several threads on their forum just like this:

Or this one:
https://discussion.enpass.io/index.php?/topic/27455-cannot-delete-icloud-file-xxxxinsinewwalletx/

By the way, let me suggest you to search for open source alternatives. There are a few pretty good ones.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I would refrain from using Enpass, they have showed to be very unproffesional not addressing some bug that causes you to have some Enpass files associated to your Apple ID FOREVER, even when you disable it, uninstall it, or delete your account.

I have the file on my mac iCloud files, and there is no way to remove it. On their forum there are post from years ago, all closed because they don’t know how to fix it. I opened another one months ago, and nothing, they say they are working on it, but I doubt they actually are. As I said, I found them pretty unprofesional.

You can find more info about this on several threads on their forum just like this:

Or this one: https://discussion.enpass.io/index.php?/topic/27455-cannot-delete-icloud-file-xxxxinsinewwalletx/

By the way, let me suggest you open source alternatives. There are a few pretty good ones.

Oh, good lord. Not good.

Since I am still trying things out, I did this:
- disconnect sync, delete data from iCloud check.

I do not see the files in my iCloud Settings.

Attaching proof that I do have Enpass data in iCloud in another screenshot, so you know I am not fooling with you by posting a screenshot without actually using the app. :p

As Pratyush was asking the other person in the thread, it is possible that people may not be checking the option to delete data in iCloud along with, so .. maybe that is causing the bug.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 12.29.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 12.29.26 AM.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 12.29.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 12.29.34 AM.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
So as you know 1Password is forcing you to the subscription model which is something I refuse to pay for a simple piece of software that is basically a glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser.

Everything is going subscription, some are more important than others, personally, I have a lot of logins/passwords. I would rather pay a subscription to 1Password than many others given the importance and of course risk.

One thing you can be sure of is that the more popular the next one you use gets, the more likely it will be they do the same thing.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Everything is going subscription, some are more important than others, personally, I have a lot of logins/passwords. I would rather pay a subscription to 1Password than many others given the importance and of course risk.

One thing you can be sure of is that the more popular the next one you use gets, the more likely it will be they do the same thing.

True that. My issue with 1Password 8 is not Electron or anything, that is secondary. My issues are around usability and functionality that are not working as well as they were for me with 1Password 7.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Okay, I was indeed using Safari extension for this, but on a bank's website. Maybe that was why I did not get a single notification query as you said.. about filling old and new, about updating. Nothing. I had to do everything manually, tapping the extension on and on for various fields. let me try on MR here and see how that goes.

Thank you for your response!
I see. I have to admit that I never use this automatic feature anyway as I don't trust it to be reliable enough. Therefore, whenever I have to change my passwords I always choose the manual approach. Call me old-fashioned but I have yet to "lose" a password that way.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Oh, good lord. Not good.

Attaching proof that I do have Enpass data in iCloud in another screenshot, so you know I am not fooling with you by posting a screenshot without actually using the app. :p

As Pratyush was asking the other person in the thread, it is possible that people may not be checking the option to delete data in iCloud along with, so .. maybe that is causing the bug.
Nah, believe me, I signed up again on my old account, did what Pratyush described, and nothing. It remains, because apparently that file was made using a very old version and the new version is different or something. I don’t remember because I stopped researching months ago, but the file is there, perpetually. And I am going to discourage people from using enpass until they manage to solve my issue, something they aren’t willing to do because they don’t know, they can’t, or they just don’t care because I am no longer a customer. But if they don‘t help me to eventually solve it, they might lose some potential new customers... Hopefully they will read this, my App Store reviews, and the blog posts that I am willing to write about this. Damn, maybe even a YouTube video.

Anyways thank you for the screenshots and the explanation.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Please share your experiences with trustworthy password managers. I have already tried Bitwarden, its an option but the GUI is ugly that could use real work and the browser plugin is just too much imo. I also didn't had an issue where if you have multiple accounts it will only auto fill the top one meanwhile 1password gives you the option to choose which one to use. Another thing is I want to store my password locally and not in the cloud, not sure why everyone is forcing a cloud account.

I chose Bitwarden. I've already paid the $10 for the premium for a year and I love it. I agree the UI is a little clunky. The browser plugin is actually my favorite part. I'm using it constantly. Bitwarden gives you the option to self host your passwords if you don't want them in the cloud.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I see. I have to admit that I never use this automatic feature anyway as I don't trust it to be reliable enough. Therefore, whenever I have to change my passwords I always choose the manual approach. Call me old-fashioned but I have yet to "lose" a password that way.

I used to be that way, but the reliability of 1Password and simple, straightforward interface worked just fine until they decided to clobber it all with 1Password 8.

Kev_D

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
Oh, good lord. Not good.

Noticed that bug with Enpass too though. Saw it on my partner's device first and then tried it on my own to confirm.

When I go to "Settings -> Internet Accounts -> iCloud Drive -> Options -> Look me up by email" then it's empty.

But if you go via "Settings -> Apple ID -> iCloud -> Drive -> Options -> Look me up by email" then there's an entry left behind.

You can also see it via "www.icloud.com -> Account Settings -> Manage apps that can look you up"

So yeah something buggy going on here. But even though they leave that file behind, it doesn't look like it still contains any data after using the "Delete iCloud data" option in their settings. Tried deleting all my data and even though that file was still there in iCloud, no deleted data was put back in the app after doing an iCloud restore/sync.

You can see the file that's left behind when you do "ls -al ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/" in Terminal. The file is called: "7ADB8CC6TF~in~sinew~Walletx".

I still like Enpass nonetheless, but I agree that they should at least try to fix this as it's not clean.

EDIT: It seems like this might be an Apple issue and not really an Enpass issue. Apparently this app called "App in the Air" has the same thing going on: link1 - link2. Also the app "MarginNote XE": link

Attachments

• 1628889732384.png
    1628889732384.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 424
  • 1628889768756.png
    1628889768756.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 11.44.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 11.44.46 PM.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru

Or this one:
https://discussion.enpass.io/index.php?/topic/27455-cannot-delete-icloud-file-xxxxinsinewwalletx/

By the way, let me suggest you to search for open source alternatives. There are a few pretty good ones.

Whow thats Bad.

Any help with the open Source files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.