Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
@BornAgainMac

To be fair, Secrets has their own website and is here; Outercorner's Secrets - I bought both the Mac application and the iOS version and I've lived here for quite some time - I want to say at least 2 years - it's been a good service to me. Secrets' Mac application has its quirks; sometimes the password or login 'COPY' button doesn't show until you're actively in the Secrets app (on the Mac)
Or if you hover over the COPY button twice let's say before you are presented with it. It's that minor of an issue, but when it's experienced long enough it becomes a thing in a comment on the internet.

This has been an ongoing issue and I have yet to report it to the developer of Secrets and I have had no interaction with the developer to my knowledge. I sync to iCloud and that's all fine and dandy.

No other immediate issues and Secrets looks very much like 1Password or any other password manager that's even something. AuthPass / MacPass / EnPass / KeePass - I've tried them all. Of course, I've been championing 1Password before, using it before their subscription-model and a a year or so after they AgileBits introduced their 1Password subscription-model.
I never was happy with subscription-models, but I thought that 1Password at least had the reputation over LastPass, and as such I sought out my options and Secrets offered everything a total of $20 for the Mac application and the iOS app (initially I wrote $30 because I was certain that I had paid for the iOS app separately at the time of my purchase)

I can import from 1Password files using Secrets as an example . I haven't got any PIF files anymore to try with, so this comment is to be taken for what it is.

AuthPass is free the last time I checked, I've tried it and it's nothing to write home about on iOS - on the Mac it's barely useful compared to current offerings of what is mentioned in this thread. I would only recommend AuthPass if you're one of those people (meaning those that get a hard on for all things open-source)

Reactions: grahamwright1

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I plan to stick with 1Password because of the family plan. Haven’t seen anything that works as well for my wife & I to share password vaults. I don’t understand the animosity towards subscription plans. It was the standard on mainframes and minis before the personal computer was a thing. I guess these same people do t have Netflix or similar subscriptions and buy all their entertainment instead of subscribing.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Tried updating Reddit password with Bitwarden. Process was alright, and while it was very similar to Enpass and I did not see the password updated in Bitwarden, I then discovered that Bitwarden prompted me about updating it, on the Reddit page along the width of the browser window. So that was a bonus.

As of right now, I like 1Password's clearer implementations better. There is no fuss and no confusion about missing anything.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I guess these same people do t have Netflix or similar subscriptions and buy all their entertainment instead of subscribing.
I don't think it's correct to compare software subscriptions to a movie / tv-series subscription. If that were the case then there would only be one movie / tv-series available to watch on Netflix / whatever movie/tv-series streaming platform of choice and one song on iTunes/Music and Spotify - might be different songs on each subscription, but there's only one song and it's "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on iTunes/Music and for Spotify it's "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.

It's getting to be a little too much with software subscriptions, but that's a topic for another time. BusyCal has also opted for a subscription model and they do it somewhat different than 1Password, meaning if you stop paying for 1Password you don't have 1Password anymore. The company behind BusyCal allows you to keep using your current latest BusyCal software after the subscription ends for that year.

There's a name for it - which I'm not going to get in trouble for trying to remember. BohemianCoding has done the same with their Sketch application.

Bear in mind that my view of what you said about subscriptions in the past and how people operate with streaming services today is based on an individual having not gone to college or university and has hit his head hard more than 4 times, I think. Who knows. I certainly can't remember anymore.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I don't think it's correct to compare software subscriptions to a movie / tv-series subscription. If that were the case then there would only be one movie / tv-series available to watch on Netflix / whatever movie/tv-series streaming platform of choice and one song on iTunes/Music and Spotify - might be different songs on each subscription, but there's only one song and it's "Barbie Girl" by Aqua on iTunes/Music and for Spotify it's "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.

It's getting to be a little too much with software subscriptions, but that's a topic for another time. BusyCal has also opted for a subscription model and they do it somewhat different than 1Password, meaning if you stop paying for 1Password you don't have 1Password anymore. The company behind BusyCal allows you to keep using your current latest BusyCal software after the subscription ends for that year.

There's a name for it - which I'm not going to get in trouble for trying to remember. BohemianCoding has done the same with their Sketch application.

Bear in mind that my view of what you said about subscriptions in the past and how people operate with streaming services today is based on an individual having not gone to college or university and has hit his head hard more than 4 times, I think. Who knows. I certainly can't remember anymore.

Agenda Notes has something similar as well. When you stop paying, you keep what you paid for until the time you stopped paying.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
So as you know 1Password is forcing you to the subscription model which is something I refuse to pay for a simple piece of software that is basically a glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser. I am fed up of subscription model and greedy companies that abuses it. I have already paid license which I believe was $60 twice for an upgrade making the total $120.

Please share your experiences with trustworthy password managers. I have already tried Bitwarden, its an option but the GUI is ugly that could use real work and the browser plugin is just too much imo. I also didn't had an issue where if you have multiple accounts it will only auto fill the top one meanwhile 1password gives you the option to choose which one to use. Another thing is I want to store my password locally and not in the cloud, not sure why everyone is forcing a cloud account.

I could be wrong but LastPass seems untrust worthy, I heard a lot of shady issues with them.

If you are fully within the Apple ecosystem, then the obvious solution is Keychain.
Forever free, secure, reliable and it will evolve with your Apple ecosystem.

Reactions: Iwavvns and jon9091

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
If you are fully within the Apple ecosystem, then the obvious solution is Keychain.

It is still far from becoming an obvious solution for the simple fact that you could lose your passwords and data if you disabled Keychain on all devices connected to same iCloud ID. It has happened to me once without knowing ... never will it happen again because I now use a password manager that I know will not delete data like this.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Changing a password is a pain. But that’s not the main disadvantage I see to iCloud Keychain... It is the fact that, if someone gets access to your Apple ID, they get access to all your passwords. Meanwhile, storing them on a third party service allows you to keep all your other services protected even if your Apple ID has been compromised.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I plan to stick with 1Password because of the family plan. Haven’t seen anything that works as well for my wife & I to share password vaults. I don’t understand the animosity towards subscription plans. It was the standard on mainframes and minis before the personal computer was a thing. I guess these same people do t have Netflix or similar subscriptions and buy all their entertainment instead of subscribing.

What many fail to convey and many fail to grasp while comparing to Netflix etc. is that the idea of subscribing does not involve ONLY subscribing. Magazines can be bought individually and subscribed to. Why software is not available as both? THAT is the issue people have. The choice - the option.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Tried updating Reddit password with Bitwarden. Process was alright, and while it was very similar to Enpass and I did not see the password updated in Bitwarden, I then discovered that Bitwarden prompted me about updating it, on the Reddit page along the width of the browser window. So that was a bonus.

As of right now, I like 1Password's clearer implementations better. There is no fuss and no confusion about missing anything.
The nice thing is if you used the password generator there is a history of passwords that you generated that will stay around for a while to handle scenarios like that. You could copy/paste that into the new entry.

In this video he demoes it at the 14 minute mark:

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Everything is going subscription, some are more important than others, personally, I have a lot of logins/passwords. I would rather pay a subscription to 1Password than many others given the importance and of course risk.

One thing you can be sure of is that the more popular the next one you use gets, the more likely it will be they do the same thing.

yes, thats why I am and others are fighting this movement. If 1password was the only subscription it wouldn't be much of an issue money wise but since everyone is turning subscription I would like to keep a free(FOSS) or license options alive.

I do not want to look at my monthly bill and I am paying:
$2 WebBrowser
$3 Email app
$10 Straming service
$5 VPN
$5 Adblock
$5 email service
$7 videogame
$10 router firmware subscription
$3 Wifi-driver upgrades
$10 smartphone OS
$5 PC OS
$1 clock in the PC OS
....etc

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
It is also available as a one-time perpetual license, albeit admittedly at a quite expensive $80.

Thats not bad, about 2.5 years of 1password subscription. Except 2.5 years it will continue to work and you will recieve updates and 1password will stop working.

Reactions: mj_

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
I used to use 1password. For more than a decade. Recommended it to friends, family, colleagues - boy do I feel stupid now.
Anyway, I have no relationship with any password management company other than as a paying customer. Over the last 12 months, from time to time, I have been looking at and trying, alternatives to 1 Password.

TL DR
My key criteria:
  • No need to keep my data on the developers honeypot server. (my data on a developers server at my risk - no thanks). I appreciate lots of people don't think this is a problem and that's OK - its your data to risk if you want.
  • Can sync via icloud, dropbox, webdav, etc if I choose. Yes, I know its a cloud service but at least its just my own Dropbox - not a honeypot commercial target full of millions of users data.
  • License purchase. Happy to buy new licences when warranted. No subscription payments - not happy to pay every month for fluff features that do nothing for me.
  • I dont want to have host my own server just to run a password manager app.

I ended up with Safeincloud. It meets all my criteria, provides all the basic password management features. And it happens to be cross platform too macOS, iOS and Windows so that's a bit of a bonus.

DETAIL

For what its worth these are note I made for myself to keep track. I hope it might help some folk in deciding what to, or what not to, use.

APPLE - Apple is going to upgrade Keychain to be a proper password manager. Maybe later this year will be a good alternative. I sure hope the develops.

ENPASS - I ruled out Enpass (had purchased) after Enpass chose screwing over lifetime pro users by having created a (pay for it again) premium version plus implementing subscription payment. I cannot be trust them. (there are lots of other comments in this thread by others about Enpass too)

1PASSWORD - 1password version 8 is subscription only and 'passwords only on developer servers' (this has been coming for a while). Plus its now a demonstrably worse performing Electron app with a bigger attack surface

DASHLANE - Dashlane has deleted the desktop app (that ain't good) plus its subscription only and 'passwords only on developer servers'

LASTPASS has been hacked more than once (they say nothing was stolen) plus its subscription only and passwords only on developer servers

SAFEINCLOUD looks to be good. On the upside it does all the basic password management stuff I need with none of the fluff features. One off licence (no subscription), no need for my data to live on the developers server at my risk, sync via icloud, or dropbox, or etc etc.

MSECURE is going to be subscription at v6 "new business model" Subscription only. Version five will just fade away unsupported...same business model that 1Password applies to v7. Dont know if we loose icloud sync then too. Tickets submitted....Ticket response says " version 6 is an update and not a whole new app, so it will have all of the features mSecure 5 does plus new features. We are not removing any sync features from the current mSecure app" so wait and see.

BITWARDEN ... I tested and really didn't like like browser interface. Also cannot update or modify anything unless your connected to the internet. Uses developers server for sync. (Or your own hosted server - I dont want to have to run my own server just to accomodate a password manager - no iCloud, dropbox, one drive etc)

I looked at KEEPASS which seems very good but its Windows only.
I looked at KEEPASSXC which is windows and Mac OS and at STRONBOX for iOS. These too look good (useful YouTube videos too) and is probably best bet after safeincloud. BUT KeepassXC has no integration with Safari - so it cannot enter data unless copy and paste.

I ended up deciding that safeincloud apps for Mac, iOS and windows make for an easier and more holistic experience. If you have a need for teams and other stuff this might not be for you. There are lots of other password managers too but this is what I looked at.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The nice thing is if you used the password generator there is a history of passwords that you generated that will stay around for a while to handle scenarios like that. You could copy/paste that into the new entry.

In this video he demoes it at the 14 minute mark:

Yes, let me go through that video. Thank you !

However, 1Password handles this situation better in the sense that it inspires confidence. New passwords are updated on-the-fly, and if for whatever reason something is not updated, it is available in the Passwords section, leaving me sure of not missing anything.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Wow.

SafeinCloud. just downloaded mac version.

Native = check
iClould sync = check
ios = check (have not downloaded yet)
beautfiul = double check
Pricing = double check
Notes = check
Grouping of passwords = check
special types = check
archived option = check
favs and recents = check

going to test it out over the next month. thank you misterSavage!

Hopefully no big issues then I can tell 1password and their bleeping POS electron framework to take a hike.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
More.

It looks like a single developer or small team and HE / THEY were able to ship a native app,

Meanwhile, 1password that has hundreds of employees has raised at least $300 million in venture capital said:

No native for you. You will eat electron and like it!

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
What I suggest is use icloud keychain & notes with passwords enabled for secure pws. Alternatively use Bitwarden which is very excellent or some combo of the two.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Bought ios ($7) version.

all works. sync over icloud. works.

saved first password on mac, synced fine to ios.

nice.

Turned off auto fill for 1password. turned on autofill for safe in cloud (on ios)
Turned off 1password extension on mac.

guess i am testing this for real now.

Reactions: Apple OC

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Hundreds of millions of people survive without a password manager. Some are foolish and get scammed and others are unlucky and get scammed but the vast majority do not. That is an option if your situation allows it.

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Nice local backup option.
Plenty of export formats.
Password and Credit card types.

Easy to find password gen. Lost track of how to use 1passwords version years ago. used to be easy.

Pierre535

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I’ve been using this for over 20 years and love it:

Its easy to use and also has no subscription unless:

Do I need to subscribe to sync or otherwise use pwSafe?​

No, the subscription is just for pwSafe Cloud. Although we think pwSafe Cloud adds great value to pwSafe, you don't need to subscribe to it to have a fully-functional password manager, including access to Apple's iCloud Drive for syncing. You'll be missing only Cloud Memory and Cloud Backups.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Changing a password is a pain. But that’s not the main disadvantage I see to iCloud Keychain... It is the fact that, if someone gets access to your Apple ID, they get access to all your passwords. Meanwhile, storing them on a third party service allows you to keep all your other services protected even if your Apple ID has been compromised.
Keychain is only accessible from your devices.
The scenario where someone gains access to one of your devices AND to your Apple ID password is rather unlikely.
Besides the same unlikely scenario is equally possible whatever password software/service you are using.
Anyway, I am aware that a lot of people don’t rate Apple keychain.
I love it.

Reactions: jon9091 and Populus

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Yes, let me go through that video. Thank you !

However, 1Password handles this situation better in the sense that it inspires confidence. New passwords are updated on-the-fly, and if for whatever reason something is not updated, it is available in the Passwords section, leaving me sure of not missing anything.

No problem. I do also like how 1Password is impossible to miss when it asks if you want to save/update your password. It doesn't happen on every website but with Bitwarden it definitely doesn't either.

Reactions: macintoshmac

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
Thanks to allan.nyholm for the information on Secrets - just installed it on my Mac's and iDevices. Imported all my 1Password content, and seems to integrate into Safari sufficiently well to replace 1Password for my usage. I've been a 1Password user since their first release, but no local Vault is a deal breaker for me...

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: allan.nyholm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.