Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
I don't see options for multiple vaults in Safe In cloud. slight bummer but I will just rely on labels.

multiple vaults to me was useful sometimes but the pain in the behind most of the time as I would never be on the right vault I needed to be on switching from personal to "business" vaults.
I need multiple vaults for my kid. He's only 10 and I want access to whatever he's up to so I set him up with his own separate vault that I also have access to. Switching between the two vaults in Enpass is easy and flawless... but having to store them on different services seems unnecessary.

I’m not sure why everyone is saying you need the subscription ? You can still buy the single license …
Not with the new version.

Buried in the usual 1Password doublespeak and coy nonsense is this:
"Those with a standalone license can trade in their license for a special discount on a new 1Password membership "

If you can find a working link to buy a standalone version, good luck.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
So as you know 1Password is forcing you to the subscription model which is something I refuse to pay for a simple piece of software that is basically a glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser. I am fed up of subscription model and greedy companies that abuses it. I have already paid license which I believe was $60 twice for an upgrade making the total $120.

Please share your experiences with trustworthy password managers. I have already tried Bitwarden, its an option but the GUI is ugly that could use real work and the browser plugin is just too much imo. I also didn't had an issue where if you have multiple accounts it will only auto fill the top one meanwhile 1password gives you the option to choose which one to use. Another thing is I want to store my password locally and not in the cloud, not sure why everyone is forcing a cloud account.

I could be wrong but LastPass seems untrust worthy, I heard a lot of shady issues with them.
Out of curiosity, when did you last pay for the upgrade, and when did you initially pay for the $60 fee?

I also paid for 1P on MacOs and iOS and was not happy moving to the sub model, and especially the major UX problems and total mess of browser extensions they had for about 9 months recently.

However, how long did you expect high security software to be continued to be supported and improved on your original license? What is a reasonable amount to pay, given this stuff has to be patched immediately if there is a new vulnerability?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
exactly this, with 1Password all I do is cmd+\ and it auto fills and alt+cmd+\ it launch 1password mini where I can edit and select stuff. Honestly 1password is one of the nicest most convenient pieces of software I ever used but I won't let them bully me into a subscription.
Bitwarden can do the same thing.

• Ctrl/CMD + Shift + Y → Activate extension
  • Ctrl/CMD + Shift + L → Autofill, press again to cycle through matching logins

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
Out of curiosity, when did you last pay for the upgrade, and when did you initially pay for the $60 fee?

I also paid for 1P on MacOs and iOS and was not happy moving to the sub model, and especially the major UX problems and total mess of browser extensions they had for about 9 months recently.

However, how long did you expect high security software to be continued to be supported and improved on your original license? What is a reasonable amount to pay, given this stuff has to be patched immediately if there is a new vulnerability?
Uh... I paid separately for every new major version of the standalone product. I just don't want to be forced to purchase yet another subscription. I didn't ask for it and it wasn't needed.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Great thread… I’ve been using 1PW since I was gifted a Thanksgiving license key 10 years ago… I knew the end was coming and was wondering if it would be LastPass or whatever for me.

Just downloaded SafeInCloud on the MacBook and synced the 1PW file… downloaded the app on my iPhone and synced the phone.

I remember when 1PW was created by a couple guys just north of Toronto… best $50 app ever.

Just went to the App Store and paid Mr. Andrey $5.50 for creating SafeInCloud.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Uh... I paid separately for every new major version of the standalone product. I just don't want to be forced to purchase yet another subscription. I didn't ask for it and it wasn't needed.

And it's quite a price increase. I paid $50 for a license for 1Password 7 in May 2018. If I would have been paying "only" $3 a month that would be ~$117 total.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
a simple piece of software that is basically a glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser
This feels like a pretty dramatic oversimplifiation. I think you just answered your own question: put all your stuff in a spreadsheet. Done.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Not with the new version.

Buried in the usual 1Password doublespeak and coy nonsense is this:
"Those with a standalone license can trade in their license for a special discount on a new 1Password membership "

If you can find a working link to buy a standalone version, good luck.

I have the link to the standalone version, which you can download, but when you start it for the first time, you no longer get the option to buy the license; you're only given the option to import an already-existing license. I went to grab this for my 2011 13" MBA in preparation to jump from that MBA to something Apple Silicon when new models come out this fall.

Pulled it down, installed it (it actually installed over 1Password 6), which then rendered 1P6 useless, left my local vault in read-only mode unless I purchased a subscription or membership (both monthly). And when reverting back to 1P6, when I opened the app on the Mac and entered the password for my vault, it accepted the password, but wouldn't open the vault... funnily enough, it did open it for the 1Password 6 mini plugin. Only a restore from Time Machine got me back to where I was.

So while you can download it, it's crippled; you can't do anything with it without purchasing a membership or a subscription.

BL.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
So as you know 1Password is forcing you to the subscription model which is something I refuse to pay for a simple piece of software that is basically a glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser. I am fed up of subscription model and greedy companies that abuses it. I have already paid license which I believe was $60 twice for an upgrade making the total $120.

Please share your experiences with trustworthy password managers. I have already tried Bitwarden, its an option but the GUI is ugly that could use real work and the browser plugin is just too much imo. I also didn't had an issue where if you have multiple accounts it will only auto fill the top one meanwhile 1password gives you the option to choose which one to use. Another thing is I want to store my password locally and not in the cloud, not sure why everyone is forcing a cloud account.

I could be wrong but LastPass seems untrust worthy, I heard a lot of shady issues with them.
mSecure. It can even do LAN only syncing. One time purchase. Is it as pretty as 1password? No. Am I glad I don't have to have a subscription to use it? Yes.

Reactions: Apple OC

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

However, how long did you expect high security software to be continued to be supported and improved on your original license?

There's a couple of things with this, as I've been in an argument with someone else over this same issue in the other thread in the main news section.

Sometimes, being supported does not mean "is functional". I'm still on a mid-2011 MBA, running Sierra, using 1Password 6.8.9. I paid $36 for the license to 1P6 (it was on sale at the time). Sierra's last update was in September 2019. 1P6 had its last update in November 2020. I bought 1P5 when it came out, and through the upgrade process, landed on 1P6 6.8.9 which I have not had a single problem with it. The license for 1P6 and 1P5 have been in perpetuity for me. As long as I have that license, the program will continue to work. That last update for 1P6 was a security update, and since they stopped supporting 1P6 and focused on 1P7 and newer, that does not mean that 1P6 will not continue to work.

Why isn't that a problem? See below.

What is a reasonable amount to pay, given this stuff has to be patched immediately if there is a new vulnerability?

Seeing that 1P6 and older have affectively been dropped for support, that would then mean that the bulk of the users of 1Password are using 1P7 and newer, and will continue to do so until there are little to no users left using 1P6 and older. That actually is to the advantage of those 1P6 users, because if used properly, we would fall under the cloud (no pun intended) of Security by Obscurity. There would be so few of us using the program that no-one with any malicious intent would go after them because they wouldn't think that older versions would be used.

Case in point: I'm still on OS X 10.12.6, because 10.13.x (High Sierra) is incredibly unstable on my Mac, yet Sierra has been rock solid. There have not been any CVEs released for Sierra since 2019, as it is now falling under security by obscurity.

If kept locked down properly, everything kept local and secure locally, Sierra and 1P6 could work until this Mac dies, which it doesn't appear to be happening, as I'm now 10 years and 5 weeks into it.

My point: When it comes to a vulnerability, there is remediation, and there is mitigation. The patch is remediation, as it eliminates the vulnerability; working around the vulnerability and doing what can be done to secure the vulnerability from being exploited without being able to patch is mitigation.

We can do the latter without having to pay, which is how I'm still using Sierra, and 1P6 with all of its patches.

BL.

oakrrl

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
I've been using 1PW since it first came out, upgraded individual license each time....but it keeps getting clumsier and clumsier. Subscription model is last straw.

So yesterday I tried Keeper. Downloaded to MacBook Pro, generated 1PW csv per instructions, imported to Keeper...got a total mess. Tried contacting Keeper Support - no reply (24 hours). so much for Keeper....will try SafeInCloud

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I've been using 1PW since it first came out, upgraded individual license each time....but it keeps getting clumsier and clumsier. Subscription model is last straw.

So yesterday I tried Keeper. Downloaded to MacBook Pro, generated 1PW csv per instructions, imported to Keeper...got a total mess. Tried contacting Keeper Support - no reply (24 hours). so much for Keeper....will try SafeInCloud

I'm stuck between SafeInCloud and Secrets. Both seem to support what I am looking for, while SafeInCloud appears to have support for multiple operating systems.

SafeInCloud is slightly ahead on that aspect, as I'm debating on if I want to keep one local vault on my Mac or if the PC program can sync with the vault on my Mac. I don't see that in the FAQ on the pro features of the thick PC client, so that has me wondering.

Secrets, while isn't ported to the PC or Linux (which is okay for my needs), and does support syncing between devices.

The only thing I don't know is if the apps support Apple Silicon. I can't guarantee if they can, because what I see in the App Store on my end is that the minimum requirements are OS X 10.12 (Sierra). If they don't, then that may be a problem because of the architecture being different between Intel and M1.

BL.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All,

Soooo I was not the only one that has gotten frustrated with 1Password. I was annoyed that I was getting pushed into subscription model but the more I investigated the more annoyed I got. 1Password8 not being native and from the general feedback is slow and buggy? It has seemed that 7 had gotten worse and now 8 even more so? AH, no thanks. I will give them that they have added features I could see being nice to have (multiple vaults), family packs etc. None apply to me.
I'll try safeincloud.

BUT here are the three features I use all the time

1. Password entry (if possible multiple accounts for same site)
2. Credit card fill in
3. DOCUMENT storage. I have thrown everything into 1password. Copies of passports, investment spreadsheets, photos of valuables, medical records. If it is important it is in 1Password.

So Document storage is more or less essential. Does safeincloud support it?

For Synology NAS users there MIGHT be an alternative. Synology has just released a password manager. BUT I have never tried it AND they have their own issues with newer (buggy) software. Personally I don't trust it. But I thought I would at least mention it as it might be an option for some.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Hi All,

Soooo I was not the only one that has gotten frustrated with 1Password. I was annoyed that I was getting pushed into subscription model but the more I investigated the more annoyed I got. 1Password8 not being native and from the general feedback is slow and buggy? It has seemed that 7 had gotten worse and now 8 even more so? AH, no thanks. I will give them that they have added features I could see being nice to have (multiple vaults), family packs etc. None apply to me.
I'll try safeincloud.

BUT here are the three features I use all the time

1. Password entry (if possible multiple accounts for same site)
2. Credit card fill in
3. DOCUMENT storage. I have thrown everything into 1password. Copies of passports, investment spreadsheets, photos of valuables, medical records. If it is important it is in 1Password.

So Document storage is more or less essential. Does safeincloud support it?

Good question there. I've just started to put bank account info into 1Password, but I hadn't thought about passports. i just may have to do that.

For Synology NAS users there MIGHT be an alternative. Synology has just released a password manager. BUT I have never tried it AND they have their own issues with newer (buggy) software. Personally I don't trust it. But I thought I would at least mention it as it might be an option for some.

Synology has a password manager as a native application? If so, I'll definitely look into that! What I do see is that you can use Bitwarden and self-host that on your NAS, but there is one big pro and con to it:

• Pro: you are hosting your own data on the NAS, meaning you are definitely in control of it; also that allows you to sync with it conveniently from any location, as it is effectively a server in the cloud.
  • Con: It's a server in the cloud, meaning that you would be exposing your NAS to the world, which may not be a good thing, depending on what else you store on it. If it is that sensitive enough of data (for example, I keep my business spreadsheets, tax info, vital records (birth/death certificates, family tree, etc.), potentially exposing that for the sake of self-hosting your own password manager may not be worth it.
I see both sides, but as a sysadmin and ISO, the cons could outweigh the pros here. However, as a sysadmin and ISO, it's my job to be paranoid.

EDIT: There is C2, but that is also a cloud service, so your data wouldn't be stored on a Synology NAS, but instead in the Synology C2 cloud.

BL.

chickenpiccata

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2021
California, USA
Thanks to all who have posted with helpful information. Here are my thoughts and experiences so far, in case they are useful.

The first thing I do when evaluating a possible software acquisition is to try to find out something about the company. Enpass lists two offices, US and India, and provides LinkedIn links for two people. I don't have a LinkedIn login, so the links are useless to me, but their entries there are not likely to tell me much about the company. Safe-in-cloud is worse; there's only one person's name and no indication where he (I'm assuming that's the right pronoun) is located. If not in the U.S., is there even a U.S. office?

So those two are out. Strongbox seemed much better as a company, so I installed it on my iMac. Unfortunately, it does not do very well in storing non-password information. I have over 60 non-password items in 1Password - credit cards, notes, software licenses, etc. - and I find it very convenient to have that information safely stored in one place. I can see how I can shoehorn those into Strongbox using custom fields, but even after doing a lot of copying-pasting, it would not be very elegant. So that's out.

Secrets looked promising. It states that it has support for those non-password items. No information about the company but it says where it is located (Lisbon, which I assume means Portugal [not mentioned] and not one of the 16 cities/towns in the US named Lisbon). The other thing I look for when evaluating software is the amount of support on the web site. This one is easy. Zero. Very bad sign in my book. Still, I downloaded the Mac app.

The good news is that there seems to be a reasonable amount of help in the app. The bad news is that there is zero information about importing from another app. Searching with the word 'import' in the app's help brings up nothing. Not encouraging. The Mac App Store description mentions importing from 1Password and other apps - apparently not important enough to mention on the web site.

Given the lack of a quick start, user guide, screenshots, or anything remotely helpful, I'm not enthusiastic. But I will go through the setup and see how it handles non-password items such as credit cards and also if and how well it imports from 1Password.

If anyone using Secrets can give me a little more information about these features, I would appreciate it.

Reactions: Wheel_D

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks to all who have posted with helpful information. Here are my thoughts and experiences so far, in case they are useful.

The first thing I do when evaluating a possible software acquisition is to try to find out something about the company. Enpass lists two offices, US and India, and provides LinkedIn links for two people. I don't have a LinkedIn login, so the links are useless to me, but their entries there are not likely to tell me much about the company. Safe-in-cloud is worse; there's only one person's name and no indication where he (I'm assuming that's the right pronoun) is located. If not in the U.S., is there even a U.S. office?

From this:

There is a suggestion that he is a Russian national, as well as the fact that he's been at this for 9 years.

Secrets looked promising. It states that it has support for those non-password items. No information about the company but it says where it is located (Lisbon, which I assume means Portugal [not mentioned] and not one of the 16 cities/towns in the US named Lisbon). The other thing I look for when evaluating software is the amount of support on the web site. This one is easy. Zero. Very bad sign in my book. Still, I downloaded the Mac app.

The good news is that there seems to be a reasonable amount of help in the app. The bad news is that there is zero information about importing from another app. Searching with the word 'import' in the app's help brings up nothing. Not encouraging. The Mac App Store description mentions importing from 1Password and other apps - apparently not important enough to mention on the web site.

Given the lack of a quick start, user guide, screenshots, or anything remotely helpful, I'm not enthusiastic. But I will go through the setup and see how it handles non-password items such as credit cards and also if and how well it imports from 1Password.

If anyone using Secrets can give me a little more information about these features, I would appreciate it.

From the bottom of the Secrets website, there is this blurb:

We are Outer Corner, a small Lisbon-based software studio run by Paulo Andrade.
We make Secrets, a password manager for Mac and iOS.

That gets you to this:

Yes, he's in Lisbon, Portugal, but has worked for Apple. So he definitely knows what he's doing. But I wouldn't be too hard on him; if it is a small company, which it definitely sounds like, he may be a 1-man shop, trying to do everything, similar to SafeInCloud.

BL.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
Secrets, while isn't ported to the PC or Linux (which is okay for my needs), and does support syncing between devices.

The only thing I don't know is if the apps support Apple Silicon. I can't guarantee if they can, because what I see in the App Store on my end is that the minimum requirements are OS X 10.12 (Sierra). If they don't, then that may be a problem because of the architecture being different between Intel and M1.

BL.

Just checked and it's ARM64

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008

Importing my 1PW Pif file into Secrets worked rather well for me. Credit Cards show up in a 'Wallet' category, Software license show up in 'Software' and all the information I had was imported correctly.

Correction: Some of the 'Purchase Date' from 1PW Software Licenses entries are showing up as 4712-12-31 in Secrets but some show correct dates.....

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
So while you can download it, it's crippled; you can't do anything with it without purchasing a membership or a subscription.
It sounds like Agilebits is basically blackmailing it's longtime (formerly loyal) users. So glad I dumped these crooks.

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
You would prefer to run a secrets management tool without patches for years on an internet connected device?
Where did I say that?? There are non-sleazy alternatives that regularly maintain and update their product. I purchased Enpass which DOESN'T force me into a subscription model I don't want (after crippling my standalone version and blackmailing me into getting the sub)?

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
I emailed Agilebits multiple times. Told them that I might consider subscribing, but would not ever consider storing my vault on the net. They basically ignored my statement.

Everything is local for me. MacOS, IOS, iPadOS for both myself and wife.
I store passports, vaccine proof, all in 1P. Starting to look for another solution.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Good question there. I've just started to put bank account info into 1Password, but I hadn't thought about passports. i just may have to do that.

Synology has a password manager as a native application? If so, I'll definitely look into that! What I do see is that you can use Bitwarden and self-host that on your NAS, but there is one big pro and con to it:

• Pro: you are hosting your own data on the NAS, meaning you are definitely in control of it; also that allows you to sync with it conveniently from any location, as it is effectively a server in the cloud.
  • Con: It's a server in the cloud, meaning that you would be exposing your NAS to the world, which may not be a good thing, depending on what else you store on it. If it is that sensitive enough of data (for example, I keep my business spreadsheets, tax info, vital records (birth/death certificates, family tree, etc.), potentially exposing that for the sake of self-hosting your own password manager may not be worth it.
I see both sides, but as a sysadmin and ISO, the cons could outweigh the pros here. However, as a sysadmin and ISO, it's my job to be paranoid.

EDIT: There is C2, but that is also a cloud service, so your data wouldn't be stored on a Synology NAS, but instead in the Synology C2 cloud.

BL.
Hi Brad, thanks for the C2 clarification. This is what happens If I don't actually read the email but more or less the subject line. You are correct it is a cloud based solution and not what I thought it was. I appreciate you checking my info and correcting a mistake for the other users (and ME)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.