Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
There is much more going on under the hood, so I can't entirely agree it's a glorified database.
I was an early adopter of 1Password when they first got started. I was pretty active on the forum back then, and I was even offered a position at one point. I didn't see it for about two weeks, and by then, they've already filled the slot. I'm not sure I would've even been interested, but still. I also joined the web-based app under the family plan. I've been on that for 4-5 years, or whenever it came out. I seldom use the website directly, but I'm sure I used it in the background.

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2021
Poland
I didn't mind the subscription, but it is disappointing to see them migrate to Electron. For now I'm moving my passwords to the keychain, competing third party apps don't look any better.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
And someone gets a hold of that spreadsheet? Then they have the keys to your kingdom, at least with password managers (reputable ones at least) your passwords are encrypted.
You can encrypt number files.
But it is still an impractical solution. Especially since it doesn’t support the auto fill feature which is essential for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I must think they were being sarcastic.
You would hope.

As for 1Password, I was resistant to embracing the subscription model, but in this (very narrow) case, I accepted it and in all honesty, its been more useful then I was expecting. YMMV but for me, I'm getting value.

Its cross platform, which is a huge plus (something that Numbers cannot provide ;) ) elegant integretion with browsers, and top notch security to protect my passswords. Consider LastPass, a number of times they were hacked, and just recently they were basically forcing people to the non-free tier. Bitwarden is nice but not as polished as 1Password and not as easy to use.

Granted, one size doesn't fit all, but for me, and my needs I'm content to stick with 1Password

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I suppose you can just keep your passwords in a numbers file as long as you only want to use them on one device otherwise you have to keep it in the cloud just the same.
Which is fine until someone steals your device or hacks it.
Where the information is stored is ultimately less important than how difficult it is to hack into.
And as long as you only use Apple.
And as long as you don't want to share them with the family
And as long as you are careful to keep a copy any time you've updated just to be sure. Like password managers do keeping track of every password you've ever used with the site
And as long as you like to copy and paste rather than having them automatically entered for you.
Same with your profile, just type it in rather than having the forms filled out for you.
And as long as you have some other sort of password generator to make sure you have unique and strong passwords for every site. Keychain will do a lot of this of course if you only want to use Safari.
And as long as you don't want breach monitoring which tells you if they've been compromised.
Or dark web monitoring.
Or Encrypted file sharing.
I've used Dashlane for a while now and it's been an odd year changing over to extension based but they are finally getting it back together again and worth every penny.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I used to use 1password. For more than a decade. Recommended it to friends, family, colleagues - boy do I feel stupid now.
Anyway, I have no relationship with any password management company other than as a paying customer. Over the last 12 months, from time to time, I have been looking at and trying, alternatives to 1 Password.

TL DR
My key criteria:
  • No need to keep my data on the developers honeypot server. (my data on a developers server at my risk - no thanks). I appreciate lots of people don't think this is a problem and that's OK - its your data to risk if you want.
  • Can sync via icloud, dropbox, webdav, etc if I choose. Yes, I know its a cloud service but at least its just my own Dropbox - not a honeypot commercial target full of millions of users data.
  • License purchase. Happy to buy new licences when warranted. No subscription payments - not happy to pay every month for fluff features that do nothing for me.
  • I dont want to have host my own server just to run a password manager app.

I ended up with Safeincloud. It meets all my criteria, provides all the basic password management features. And it happens to be cross platform too macOS, iOS and Windows so that's a bit of a bonus.

DETAIL

For what its worth these are note I made for myself to keep track. I hope it might help some folk in deciding what to, or what not to, use.

APPLE - Apple is going to upgrade Keychain to be a proper password manager. Maybe later this year will be a good alternative. I sure hope the develops.

ENPASS - I ruled out Enpass (had purchased) after Enpass chose screwing over lifetime pro users by having created a (pay for it again) premium version plus implementing subscription payment. I cannot be trust them. (there are lots of other comments in this thread by others about Enpass too)

1PASSWORD - 1password version 8 is subscription only and 'passwords only on developer servers' (this has been coming for a while). Plus its now a demonstrably worse performing Electron app with a bigger attack surface

DASHLANE - Dashlane has deleted the desktop app (that ain't good) plus its subscription only and 'passwords only on developer servers'

LASTPASS has been hacked more than once (they say nothing was stolen) plus its subscription only and passwords only on developer servers

SAFEINCLOUD looks to be good. On the upside it does all the basic password management stuff I need with none of the fluff features. One off licence (no subscription), no need for my data to live on the developers server at my risk, sync via icloud, or dropbox, or etc etc.

MSECURE is going to be subscription at v6 "new business model" Subscription only. Version five will just fade away unsupported...same business model that 1Password applies to v7. Dont know if we loose icloud sync then too. Tickets submitted....Ticket response says " version 6 is an update and not a whole new app, so it will have all of the features mSecure 5 does plus new features. We are not removing any sync features from the current mSecure app" so wait and see.

BITWARDEN ... I tested and really didn't like like browser interface. Also cannot update or modify anything unless your connected to the internet. Uses developers server for sync. (Or your own hosted server - I dont want to have to run my own server just to accomodate a password manager - no iCloud, dropbox, one drive etc)

I looked at KEEPASS which seems very good but its Windows only.
I looked at KEEPASSXC which is windows and Mac OS and at STRONBOX for iOS. These too look good (useful YouTube videos too) and is probably best bet after safeincloud. BUT KeepassXC has no integration with Safari - so it cannot enter data unless copy and paste.

I ended up deciding that safeincloud apps for Mac, iOS and windows make for an easier and more holistic experience. If you have a need for teams and other stuff this might not be for you. There are lots of other password managers too but this is what I looked at.

Wow...this is some beneficial info in here. Thanks for contributing.
So far I have slimmed it down to StrongBox, Safe-in-Cloud and EnPass.

StrongBox= Only Mac and iOS

Safe-in-Cloud= idk looks like a 1 man team, lifetime purchase of $4 compared to 1password monthly $3? I don't feel safe trusting something as critical as my passwords to something like this!?

EnPass= Looks like the closest thing to 1password replacement, whats wrong with them? I don't mind them charging again for a new release as long as they do not hinder the performance of the software I purchased. I like to have update for up to 5 years if not features at least security fixes and bugs. Fair deal.

I really wanted to like Bitwarden but the fact that your data is in the cloud and the GUI needs real help, the ever continuing problem of FOSS software. I do not know how these super amazing programmers that can build complex software like GIMP and LibreOffice that replace multi-billion dollar corps applications has some serious trouble with the GUI.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Wow...this is some beneficial info in here. Thanks for contributing.
So far I have slimmed it down to StrongBox, Safe-in-Cloud and EnPass.

StrongBox= Only Mac and iOS

Safe-in-Cloud= idk looks like a 1 man team, lifetime purchase of $4 compared to 1password monthly $3? I don't feel safe trusting something as critical as my passwords to something like this!?

EnPass= Looks like the closest thing to 1password replacement, whats wrong with them? I don't mind them charging again for a new release as long as they do not hinder the performance of the software I purchased. I like to have update for up to 5 years if not features at least security fixes and bugs. Fair deal.

I really wanted to like Bitwarden but the fact that your data is in the cloud and the GUI needs real help, the ever continuing problem of FOSS software. I do not know how these super amazing programmers that can build complex software like GIMP and LibreOffice that replace multi-billion dollar corps applications has some serious trouble with the GUI.
Bitwarden can be locally hosted.

Although there is no Windows or Linux app for Strongbox...

"Strongbox stores your private data in one of two industry leading and open source formats. This can be the well known and widely supported KeePass format (KDB and KDBX) or the long respected Password Safe format (PSAFE3). This means you can always open your database with the many available clients on pretty much every imaginable platform. It also means you can use your Strongbox database on Windows or send it to your FreeBSD friend. All safe in the knowledge that the database is completely compatible."

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You would hope.

As for 1Password, I was resistant to embracing the subscription model, but in this (very narrow) case, I accepted it and in all honesty, its been more useful then I was expecting. YMMV but for me, I'm getting value.

Its cross platform, which is a huge plus (something that Numbers cannot provide ;) ) elegant integretion with browsers, and top notch security to protect my passswords. Consider LastPass, a number of times they were hacked, and just recently they were basically forcing people to the non-free tier. Bitwarden is nice but not as polished as 1Password and not as easy to use.

Granted, one size doesn't fit all, but for me, and my needs I'm content to stick with 1Password

Wouldn't you hope, too, for their own benefit, that they were sarcastic in suggesting Numbers as a password manager? :D

I agree with you and it is precisely why I picked 1Password as my first and only password manager when I did, years ago. I do not mind paying for this annually at all.

For me it is not even about Electron/ Proton/ Neutron whatever else non-Mac native platform they end up using in future to reduce their work towards cross-platform product development. All I care about is that with 1Password 8, they have broken the accepted flows that worked perfectly and did not need any tweaking, as people in the 1Password Community are also calling them out about, and that the app in its current form is not working as it must, in order for it to be called a successor to 1Password 7 on macOS. :)

Reactions: maflynn

Marie.D

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2020
I struggled to find something better, but just right now I found out and decided to move to Minimalist and it clicked instantly.

The design is better than most of the offering out there, and the 1Password import was seamless, automatically added all my 2FAs and it supports custom sections and fields.

Pricing is fair and also offers a one time purchase.

Reactions: Big Bad D

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
As someone who picked Bitwarden I almost didn't pick Bitwarden initially because of the GUI. :D I wonder how many personal account users they lose because of that.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I struggled to find something better, but just right now I found out and decided to move to Minimalist and it clicked instantly.

The design is better than most of the offering out there, and the 1Password import was seamless, automatically added all my 2FAs and it supports custom sections and fields.

Pricing is fair and also offers a one time purchase.

Product offering seems good, but this seems to be launched just now, some hours ago. So, no real-world reports of any major issues with it. Also, this is only for Apple ecosystem.

However, I do not appreciate bashing another competitor directly (1Password) for. benefit. This release seems timed such to capitalise on the fringe sentiment against 1Password (8) today and nobody knows if the people behind this password manager will be around for years. This direct bashing of 1Password is unfortunate. The creator's opening sentence on Product Hunt is, "As a long time user of 1Password, I had become increasingly dissatisfied...." and it does not look good on the developer.

Marie.D

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2020
Product offering seems good, but this seems to be launched just now, some hours ago. So, no real-world reports of any major issues with it. Also, this is only for Apple ecosystem.

However, I do not appreciate bashing another competitor directly (1Password) for. benefit. This release seems timed such to capitalise on the fringe sentiment against 1Password (8) today and nobody knows if the people behind this password manager will be around for years. This direct bashing of 1Password is unfortunate. The creator's opening sentence on Product Hunt is, "As a long time user of 1Password, I had become increasingly dissatisfied...." and it does not look good on the developer.
I disagree with your assessment. According to the App Store history, it’s been at least a year old. Since it’s stored encrypted with CloudKit, it’s not subject to the same attack surface as a lot of other PWM.

and there is nothing wrong with capitalising on your competitor’s **** up. 1Password did the same with LastPass back in the day. It’s part of the game I’m afraid.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wonder how many personal account users they lose because of that.
Maybe its changed or I was doing something wrong, but what turned me off of bitwarden was the lack of integration in the browsers. With 1Password, All I have to do is click on the userid/password field and it will get filled in. For Bitwarden, I had to actively select copy and then paste it into the webpage.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Maybe its changed or I was doing something wrong, but what turned me off of bitwarden was the lack of integration in the browsers. With 1Password, All I have to do is click on the userid/password field and it will get filled in. For Bitwarden, I had to actively select copy and then paste it into the webpage.

Was this with Premium or Free?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

It will actually do that. You have the option to click the buttons that are view, copy userid, copy password, and copy totp BUT if you click anything else it will auto-fill them in. If you hover the mouse in that area it will give a hint. There's also a keyboard shortcut to fill them in. I have it turned off, but there's also an option to auto-fill as soon as you go to a page.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 3.02.23 PM.png

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
MSECURE is going to be subscription at v6 "new business model" Subscription only. Version five will just fade away unsupported...same business model that 1Password applies to v7. Dont know if we loose icloud sync then too. Tickets submitted....Ticket response says " version 6 is an update and not a whole new app, so it will have all of the features mSecure 5 does plus new features. We are not removing any sync features from the current mSecure app" so wait and see.

The way I read it, it's going to more like the Fantastical subscription model: new functions will be subscription only while old customers who bought a license retain existing functions. Existing Pro license goes to v6 Gold level, which should include iCloud/Dropbox sync.

But as said, we'll see about that.

They are currently running a $19.99 special on the Pro subscription. Could be an option to get some runway. Can see the runway being fairly long as v5 was released like 2018 (2017?) and v6 is running late (announced mid-2020 for end of 2020).

(I've been a long time user of this and am happy, but I'm using it as a vault and with iOS integration, my needs are basic)

johnb1968

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
I dumped 1Password after Version 7 came out and they tried to hide the standalone download link. Their obvious hostility toward original standalone users was the final straw and the writing was on the wall as to what their long-term plans were anyway. I even asked via their tech support forums where I could access the standalone version and their obtuseness and ****** non-responses were insulting.

So I moved all my business to Enpass and honestly it's pretty good! The data transfer was far less painful than I expected and it seems to work well on both Mac and PC. The only issue is I can't seem to store multiple vaults on a single service (So I have my vault on iCloud, my kid is on Dropbox, etc..). It's a bit of a pain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: macsplusmacs

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Whoever is promoting MSecure their last blog post is from 2018, maybe its dead?!
Minimalist seems like a cash grab, I would like to know there is a substantial user base and a stable team behind the software I rely on.

exactly this, with 1Password all I do is cmd+\ and it auto fills and alt+cmd+\ it launch 1password mini where I can edit and select stuff. Honestly 1password is one of the nicest most convenient pieces of software I ever used but I won't let them bully me into a subscription.

Bitwarden can be locally hosted.

Although there is no Windows or Linux app for Strongbox...

"Strongbox stores your private data in one of two industry leading and open source formats. This can be the well known and widely supported KeePass format (KDB and KDBX) or the long respected Password Safe format (PSAFE3). This means you can always open your database with the many available clients on pretty much every imaginable platform. It also means you can use your Strongbox database on Windows or send it to your FreeBSD friend. All safe in the knowledge that the database is completely compatible."

you can export but you can't Sync, thats an issue if you have iOS phone and Linux desktop

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The only issue is I can't seem to store multiple vaults on a single service (So I have my vault on iCloud, my kid is on Dropbox, etc..). It's a bit of a pain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Yeah, that's rather annoying. Unfortunately, you're not doing anything wrong as this limitation is by design. The only thing you can do is to select folder sync and then set a folder inside your cloud service's synchronized directory. The limitation is that this will only work on system where that filesystem is accessible, i.e. macOS, Windows, Linux but not iOS or iPad OS.

Reactions: johnb1968

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I don't see options for multiple vaults in Safe In cloud. slight bummer but I will just rely on labels.

multiple vaults to me was useful sometimes but the pain in the behind most of the time as I would never be on the right vault I needed to be on switching from personal to "business" vaults.

Reactions: johnb1968

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
So far my take away from switching to SafeInCloud (and perhaps the others mentioned in this thread) from 1Password 7 is this:

What the hell was all that fluff that I never used and why was I paying so much for it each year?

I mean family sharing is nice. no doubt. but using Safe In Cloud I can not see anything other than that and multiple vaults that I miss (and I am on the fence about missing multiple vaults) from 1password. perhaps I will find more as I keep testing but that's my takeaway.

(preface, I love and do not mind spending money on software. for good software at least)

"What the hell was I paying for each year?"

Not a good look for the soon to be Electron POS 1password 8 to be in IMO.

This is what so often happens when good companies take VC money. VC jerks take the wheel and run things into a ditch.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.