Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Weird... So back in Feb 2022, based on a discount code posted in this thread, I think, I bought a lifetime Premium license for Enpass.

Lately, I've been having issues using wifi sync. I finally got tired of it earlier today so I deleted and reinstalled my iPhone app (macOS desktop app was left intact, other than pausing wifi server so I could restart it upon iOS Enpass app reinstall.

I entered my registration email in iOS app, restarted wifi server on my desktop app, scanned the QR code to download/enable my vault on iOS app. I immediately noticed only 25 of my passcode items were showing on iOS app. I was also prompted, on my desktop app, to re-enter registration email, which I did.

After all this, my desktop app account no longer shows "Premium"; instead showing "Lite".

Anyway, sent an email inquiry to Enpass customer service about 6 or 7 hours ago, and thus far, nothing but an automated reply acknowledging my service request.

Scratching my head here. Just an opportunity to finally see if Enpass customer service is worth anything, I suppose.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Weird... So back in Feb 2022, based on a discount code posted in this thread, I think, I bought a lifetime Premium license for Enpass.

Lately, I've been having issues using wifi sync. I finally got tired of it earlier today so I deleted and reinstalled my iPhone app (macOS desktop app was left intact, other than pausing wifi server so I could restart it upon iOS Enpass app reinstall.

I entered my registration email in iOS app, restarted wifi server on my desktop app, scanned the QR code to download/enable my vault on iOS app. I immediately noticed only 25 of my passcode items were showing on iOS app. I was also prompted, on my desktop app, to re-enter registration email, which I did.

After all this, my desktop app account no longer shows "Premium"; instead showing "Lite".

Anyway, sent an email inquiry to Enpass customer service about 6 or 7 hours ago, and thus far, nothing but an automated reply acknowledging my service request.

Scratching my head here. Just an opportunity to finally see if Enpass customer service is worth anything, I suppose.

I faced this. It has to do with something about registering the app as lifetime license. Its confusing how they did it. Any way, I did email them and got a response on how to fix it.

Btw, WIFI sync is an issue that does not get resolved.

Enpass team is probably very small and they dont seem serious about growing the project. Probably just keep their current customer base. There is no way any one in his sane mind would choose the subscription for this product as 1password is waaaay better , unless you insist that data stays on your local storage that is.

License purchase is much better option.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
I have used customer service from Enpass before. They are slow but when they do reply they are helpful. No problems with customer service. Just slow.
I hope this is the case for me. More than 24 hours later, and still nothing except the automated response from Enpass customer service.

----

Yeah, I am far from a "power user" but one thing I have as a sort of deal-breaker is that I want my data to be stored only locally. As @Jay-Jacob notes, I likewise previously had no problems with wifi sync until relatively recently (not sure exactly when it started nor why).

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I am curious what wifi sync issue you having? I use wifi sync and never have problem with my mac to iPhone/iPad so far and hopefully stays that way!

it just doesn't sync. I open enpass+enpass ios app it just keep circling forever

are you using desktop app-to-ios app sync , or your sync to a cloud storage? that might work better.

even in 1password days I had this problem

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
it just doesn't sync. I open enpass+enpass ios app it just keep circling forever

are you using desktop app-to-ios app sync , or your sync to a cloud storage? that might work better.

I use Desktop app to iOS app wifi sync. I never tried iOS to iOS app. I didn't know it was possible. Must have missed that info. I don't use cloud sync for my Enpass.

Reactions: cubbie5150

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016

I still use 1Password 7 and use wifi sync. I've had to set it up many times because it will eventually just stop working. Never lost any data or anything but it's not perfect. Still will use it over any cloud sync though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I still use 1Password 7 and use wifi sync. I've had to set it up many times because it will eventually just stop working. Never lost any data or anything but it's not perfect. Still will use it over any cloud sync though.

That's interesting. I'm using both 1Password 6 with WiFi Sync and have for years without a problem. Coincidentally, I also use Enpass with WiFi sync between my Mac, PC, iPad and iPhone, and have reinstalled it on both my iPhone and PC, and was able to successfully sync everything back from my Mac, as well as even syncing after a restoring a full backup. Both methods gave me no problems. I also do not sync to any cloud service.

I did notice that they have put out a few updates recently, so perhaps an app update is needed?

BL.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
mine just get stuck like this spinning forever. I actually deleted everything on my ios App and setup as new and that was actually faster way to sync.

Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 2.58.54 PM.jpg

Enpass does not even care to change the wordpress logo on their email profile. This is what I mean when I say they just do not care to put in the effort. very unprofessional. Sad to see so much lost potential for 1password rival.

IMG_CE8E0BFF8307-1.jpeg
idk know,

Reactions: drumcat

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Welp...Enpass CS is not impressing me thus far. 72+ hours since I emailed them an inquiry about my lifetime license no longer working, and beyond the automated response, nothing.

I think with the discount it was only like $30 or something, so about 20 months of a fully functioning app at that price isn't exactly awful, but still....

Was hoping I could stick with Enpass long term; it provided the local wifi sync (until recently) that I preferred and no subscription (again, until recently, LOL) that I want, but alas, guess I need to consider other options. I'm not a power user so do not want subscription, though maybe I'm screwed in that regard.

Reactions: drumcat

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
... I need to consider other options. I'm not a power user so do not want subscription, though maybe I'm screwed in that regard.
Based on what you stated, I think you have at least the following options: Codebook, eWallet, Sticky Password, and Strongbox (sync via SFTP or WebDAV, instead of WiFi like the previous three choices). I use and recommend Codebook, although you might like one of the other options as well. It seems like several people on here are happy with Strongbox.

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Welp...Enpass CS is not impressing me thus far. 72+ hours since I emailed them an inquiry about my lifetime license no longer working, and beyond the automated response, nothing.

I think with the discount it was only like $30 or something, so about 20 months of a fully functioning app at that price isn't exactly awful, but still....

Was hoping I could stick with Enpass long term; it provided the local wifi sync (until recently) that I preferred and no subscription (again, until recently, LOL) that I want, but alas, guess I need to consider other options. I'm not a power user so do not want subscription, though maybe I'm screwed in that regard.
I took the time to complain, so I'll also take the time to post that my issue has been resolved. This morning, I finally received an actual response. Not sure what Enpass CS did, but my lifetime license is now showing on my macOS app. I reinstalled my iOS app, unlocked/restored my vault and re-started wifi sync, which works again.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I took the time to complain, so I'll also take the time to post that my issue has been resolved. This morning, I finally received an actual response. Not sure what Enpass CS did, but my lifetime license is now showing on my macOS app. I reinstalled my iOS app, unlocked/restored my vault and re-started wifi sync, which works again.
Glad it sorted and working. They are slow but when reply they do fix/helpful.

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
Just holding out for the next macOS release to see if keychain access is updated and I'll be happy to use the inbuilt offering
That's what I'm doing for a while now. I realized that Apple keychain is enough for my usage. And Apple Notes can have password secured notes now. I don't need anymore. It works.

Reactions: TwoBytes

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
Krebs on Security has an interesting article about hacker groups oktapus, scattered spider. What is notable is how targeted the attacks on organisations are... in the context of this thread the recent attack on Last Pass. To me it again underlines why storing your data on a password managers developers server on the internet is dangerous. Its not the encryption algorithm of your data, its all the systems used by the developer and that a password manager site is a huge honeypot target.

There is a lot in his article... this excerpt illustrates the targeted effort hackers take:
In February 2023, LastPass disclosed that the intrusion involved a highly complex, targeted attack against a DevOps engineer who was one of only four LastPass employees with access to the corporate vault. In that incident, the attackers exploited a security vulnerability in a Plex media server that the employee was running on his home network, and succeeded in installing malicious software that stole passwords and other authentication credentials.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Krebs on Security has an interesting article about hacker groups oktapus, scattered spider. What is notable is how targeted the attacks on organisations are... in the context of this thread the recent attack on Last Pass. To me it again underlines why storing your data on a password managers developers server on the internet is dangerous. Its not the encryption algorithm of your data, its all the systems used by the developer and that a password manager site is a huge honeypot target.

There is a lot in his article... this excerpt illustrates the targeted effort hackers take:
In February 2023, LastPass disclosed that the intrusion involved a highly complex, targeted attack against a DevOps engineer who was one of only four LastPass employees with access to the corporate vault. In that incident, the attackers exploited a security vulnerability in a Plex media server that the employee was running on his home network, and succeeded in installing malicious software that stole passwords and other authentication credentials.

what makes me comfortable is that password cloud storage has been around for about 10 years now and so far I haven't heard of passwords being spewed on the internet, at least not the reputable ones.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

Good point. The danger is not really in the encryption of the vaults when it comes to 1Password. The danger is if the software gets compromised, something making its way into the development pipeline. Then a user updating to a compromised client is at risk. This danger is identical whether or not one uses a local vault or one based in the cloud.

A small company making a password manager the uses a local vault is at high risk of this kind of attack. Any company that doesn't go through security audits of its software, network, development practices, and infrastructure should be considered a significant risk. I bet most of the smaller companies cannot afford such things.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

If you use the double blind password method, storing your passwords on iCloud or anywhere else keeps one secure.

Reactions: gregmac19

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
A small company making a password manager the uses a local vault is at high risk of this kind of attack. Any company that doesn't go through security audits of its software, network, development practices, and infrastructure should be considered a significant risk. I bet most of the smaller companies cannot afford such things.

this is why I do not trust stuff like mSecure and Secrets

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Good point. The danger is not really in the encryption of the vaults when it comes to 1Password. The danger is if the software gets compromised, something making its way into the development pipeline. Then a user updating to a compromised client is at risk. This danger is identical whether or not one uses a local vault or one based in the cloud.

I bet that any reputable company, large or small, which makes a password manager has thought of this risk, and have taken proper steps to prevent it. They can’t afford not to. Furthermore, I think a smaller firm would be more likely to catch this issue, as there are fewer hands involved in their development process.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I bet that any reputable company, large or small, which makes a password manager has thought of this risk, and have taken proper steps to prevent it. They can’t afford not to. Furthermore, I think a smaller firm would be more likely to catch this issue, as there are fewer hands involved in their development process.
I definitely disagree, but you probably already knew that. :)

Whatever a company considers to be "proper steps" are often not enough; there are so many examples to back that claim up. That's where serious (and expensive) audits can help. Also, staff dedicated to intrusion monitoring and penetration testing is probably the norm for a large company. A small company would not have the resources for that.

Some might be happy with a small company with a handful of developers. I certainly have no proof that any particular company is going to make a mistake that gets exploited. But, if a small company is exploited, there's a greater chance that it will go unnoticed.

Every company will make mistakes. You need more hands to be proactively looking for those mistakes. But, I do agree that if the more hands are not competent or properly focused, then those hands are a liability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.