Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I was a long time 1Password user and downloaded and paid for Bitwarden.
After almost a year of using it I only keep 1Password on my Mac just in case but it hasn't been needed so far.
Bitwarden is now my go to.
Same case for me but I'm 2+ years now with BW. I just keep 1PW around in case there's something I missed with the import.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
After almost a year of using it I only keep 1Password on my Mac just in case but it hasn't been needed so far.

For me it is the other way around. I migrated. all my data to Bitwarden but I prefer 1PW (I have a 1PW 7 perpetual license). The main reason ist ist ugly UI, especially when using notes or more than one password per item.

Reactions: Jordan Klein

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Looks like Bitwarden is going to have native apps soon. Can't come soon enough. Even though I'm really happy with BW their iOS app is so ugly and clunky.

demo:

story i spotted:

i thought the current one is native already? the desktop one is Electron I think.

Brilliant! I use them and they do work well but not best looking app, kinda basic and out of date really.

for some reason, all FOSS apps seem to be lacking in the UX and convenience department.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Not sure, but either way it's ugly as hell. I'd much rather have the version in that YouTube video I linked.

still ugly, but I chose free+functionality than pay 1password $3/month in their cloud service for a better looking password manager.

I may be wrong but UX design seems to be the easy part compared to programming software. IDK why foss developers don't care about this aspect all though they do the heavy work of complete apps. 1password looks so much appealing to the eyes and more intuitive.

overview.png

Reactions: kitKAC

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
still ugly, but I chose free+functionality than pay 1password $3/month in their cloud service for a better looking password manager.

I may be wrong but UX design seems to be the easy part compared to programming software. IDK why foss developers don't care about this aspect all though they do the heavy work of complete apps. 1password looks so much appealing to the eyes and more intuitive.

overview.png
I looked at my bitwarden app, and I guess I don't see the issues with the UX. It looks just fine to me, it isn't like I live there anyway.

Reactions: Wheel_D

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
Because power users don't care about beauty. They just want things to be fast and to work as intended. Both don't apply to 1Password.
The second reason I can think of: Either you want a consistent UI on all platforms or you don't. Translating a Mac UI to Windows won't work and vice versa. They never look the same. So I guess they keep their simplistic UI that works for all systems. And don't waste time and money and something everyone will be mad about. Mac people about their icons, Windows people about theirs.
I'm someone who comes from always using the nicest and most beautiful apps and then I stopped with it because it is distracting at best. Nowadays I use Mac apps and simple apps. I use Apple Notes, I use Bitwarden, Mailmate, Kitty, Keyboard Maestro... they all don't have those beautiful Mac designs and User Interfaces where you drag stuff across the screen to drop it somewhere else. But they work.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

No no no I disagree completely. Good design is hard as hell. I'm good at moving bits around but making them look pretty? Completely lost.

I looked at my bitwarden app, and I guess I don't see the issues with the UX. It looks just fine to me, it isn't like I live there anyway.
Exactly why I'm a happy (and paying) Bitwarden user. 95% of the time I'm just using autofill and never looking at the UI.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I may be wrong but UX design seems to be the easy part compared to programming software. IDK why foss developers don't care about this aspect all though they do the heavy work of complete apps.

Power users are just as diverse as others with respect to the effect UX design has on them, so I don't think the consumer is a factor in this.

Serious UX design is a different skillset than software development. Often, the professionals who are doing it are graphic designers. I suppose there are various reasons that they have a limited impact in the open source world. I can make some guesses. (Really, just guesses)

Companies often contribute their developers to open source projects because they use those projects in their own products. However, they have to differentiate their products in the eyes of their users and the users are most impacted by the UX. It seems less likely that companies would contribute their designers in the same way they would their developers.

Open source projects attract developers because they get to learn stuff and make provably beneficial contributions. A designer would have less to gain and great barriers to contribution. Some members of the project would like their contributions and others wouldn't. It would be a crapshoot whether their efforts would be wasted.

Scientists collaborate. Artists, not so much.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
No no no I disagree completely. Good design is hard as hell. I'm good at moving bits around but making them look pretty? Completely lost.

Exactly why I'm a happy (and paying) Bitwarden user. 95% of the time I'm just using autofill and never looking at the UI.
Same here. It's priced reasonably for what it does so I happily pay...

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Because power users don't care about beauty. They just want things to be fast and to work as intended. Both don't apply to 1Password.
The second reason I can think of: Either you want a consistent UI on all platforms or you don't. Translating a Mac UI to Windows won't work and vice versa. They never look the same. So I guess they keep their simplistic UI that works for all systems. And don't waste time and money and something everyone will be mad about. Mac people about their icons, Windows people about theirs.
I'm someone who comes from always using the nicest and most beautiful apps and then I stopped with it because it is distracting at best. Nowadays I use Mac apps and simple apps. I use Apple Notes, I use Bitwarden, Mailmate, Kitty, Keyboard Maestro... they all don't have those beautiful Mac designs and User Interfaces where you drag stuff across the screen to drop it somewhere else. But they work.

Maybe because people who can read assembly code do not understand us simpletons need an intuitive and inviting UI to be able to use the software. Reminds me of linux users that use the terminal for everything.

I am no programming, but sounds to me the software in the background running Amazon.com is a much more complex task that deciding where to place the buttons and choosing the fonts and colors.

I used many beautiful looking and intuitive software like MacOS that maybe made me think its a simple(er) task to do.

Power users are just as diverse as others with respect to the effect UX design has on them, so I don't think the consumer is a factor in this.

Serious UX design is a different skillset than software development. Often, the professionals who are doing it are graphic designers. I suppose there are various reasons that they have a limited impact in the open source world. I can make some guesses. (Really, just guesses)

Companies often contribute their developers to open source projects because they use those projects in their own products. However, they have to differentiate their products in the eyes of their users and the users are most impacted by the UX. It seems less likely that companies would contribute their designers in the same way they would their developers.

Open source projects attract developers because they get to learn stuff and make provably beneficial contributions. A designer would have less to gain and great barriers to contribution. Some members of the project would like their contributions and others wouldn't. It would be a crapshoot whether their efforts would be wasted.

Thats actually a very good argument. If I was a foss developer I would rather go with any acceptable design than have my app look like this:

main_big.png

but beggars can't be choosers

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Maybe because people who can read assembly code do not understand us simpletons need an intuitive and inviting UI to be able to use the software. Reminds me of linux users that use the terminal for everything.

That's too much negative stereotyping. Having ability is not a recipe for inability.

catalystwork

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011

[…]

I am no programming, but sounds to me the software in the background running Amazon.com is a much more complex task that deciding where to place the buttons and choosing the fonts and colors.

My professional background is in design, but I have done both design and development. Your description of design is misleadingly reductive. If it was only placing buttons and choosing fonts, everyone would do it, and do it well. By that logic, programming is mostly just typing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that design is more difficult than development, but I will go so far as to say that the humanistic aspects of design and development are the most gruelling, and require far more effort than meets the eye. Storing and retrieving data correctly is comparatively easy to validate and troubleshoot compared to designing and developing interfacing in a way that will be understandable and useful to the largest number of people. None of it is easy. And all of it turns out better when designers and developers collaborate from the early phases of a project inception.

catalystwork

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011

I think most of what you wrote is spot-on, except this last bit. Design is not art, and designers are not artists. Professional UI & UX design is a near constant collaboration. I don't think a lack of desire to collaborate is a reason for lack of involvement in open source design. I'd guess that most of what you wrote is true, and I would also add that Designers tend to make much less money than Developers, which leads to them having much less time for speculative projects. Furthermore, Designers tend not to get as much respect as Developers, and these collaborations can often be too thankless. Lastly, bear in mind that the entire collaborative tool-chain often used in these ventures, is geared towards Development. I have yet to see a good version control / collaboration toolset for design.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I wouldn't go so far as to say that design is more difficult than development, but I will go so far as to say that the humanistic aspects of design and development are the most gruelling, and require far more effort than meets the eye.
100% agree. Both are skills that take a lot of time and effort to hone.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Having ability is not a recipe for inability.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

My professional background is in design, but I have done both design and development. Your description of design is misleadingly reductive. If it was only placing buttons and choosing fonts, everyone would do it, and do it well. By that logic, programming is mostly just typing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that design is more difficult than development, but I will go so far as to say that the humanistic aspects of design and development are the most gruelling, and require far more effort than meets the eye. Storing and retrieving data correctly is comparatively easy to validate and troubleshoot compared to designing and developing interfacing in a way that will be understandable and useful to the largest number of people. None of it is easy. And all of it turns out better when designers and developers collaborate from the early phases of a project inception.

I think most of what you wrote is spot-on, except this last bit. Design is not art, and designers are not artists. Professional UI & UX design is a near constant collaboration. I don't think a lack of desire to collaborate is a reason for lack of involvement in open source design. I'd guess that most of what you wrote is true, and I would also add that Designers tend to make much less money than Developers, which leads to them having much less time for speculative projects. Furthermore, Designers tend not to get as much respect as Developers, and these collaborations can often be too thankless. Lastly, bear in mind that the entire collaborative tool-chain often used in these ventures, is geared towards Development. I have yet to see a good version control / collaboration toolset for design.

I understanding trying to pick a pleasing looking design is "grueling" , but you say UX design is not art. It might not be but I believe its a talent just like some people are born with ability to draw better than others. I say this because I found out that developers that make good UX design seem to repeat it and those who do not, never release a good UX design. Ex. Christian Selig is just 1 developer who created a much better looking and much more intuitive Reddit app all on his own over the official Reddit app which is made by an organization estimated worth $6.4Billion at IPO.

I completely understand the developer who has graced us with his time, effort, and knowledge to give us free and open source apps not bothering with the "grueling" UX design task and I highly appreciate it. I just wished there was someone who can collaborate on the design part. Me as a non-programmer, can collaborate with money donations. Collaboration from everyone and win for everyone.

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
Are stolen Last Pass Encrypted vaults being cracked? In 2022 LastPass CEO Karim Toubba said that while the encrypted vaults were stolen, only customers knew the master password required to decrypt them. But here we are and Hackers have stolen $4.4 million in cryptocurrency on October 25th 2023, using private keys and passphrases stored in stolen LastPass databases. So it seems they cracked those databases I guess. Maybe the master password they used was weak. Maybe not.

I do hope all those people changed ALL their passwords stored in their encrypted vaults....Harvest Now, Decrypt Later attacks are underway I guess.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Ex. Christian Selig is just 1 developer who created a much better looking and much more intuitive Reddit app all on his own over the official Reddit app which is made by an organization estimated worth $6.4Billion at IPO.
Christian interned at Apple and devoted all of his time to making apps with great design *and* great internals. He's an absolute master of his crafts. Just because he did it solo doesn't mean what he did isn't extremely difficult.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

You wrote

I'll augment my comment, "Having ability is not a recipe for inability", to

"Having ability to read assembly code and use the terminal does not result in the inability to understand simpletons."

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Design is not art, and designers are not artists.

Good ones are. I weekly have to check in to an office using an application which was clearly designed with no artistic sense. Colors are clashing and unpleasant, fields are in the wrong places and are unbalanced on the page, icons are ugly. You can't just plop down elements on a page an expect it to look good. It requires an artistic sense to do it right.

Look at all of the controversy about Apple's skeuomorphism.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Are stolen Last Pass Encrypted vaults being cracked? In 2022 LastPass CEO Karim Toubba said that while the encrypted vaults were stolen, only customers knew the master password required to decrypt them. But here we are and Hackers have stolen $4.4 million in cryptocurrency on October 25th 2023, using private keys and passphrases stored in stolen LastPass databases. So it seems they cracked those databases I guess. Maybe the master password they used was weak. Maybe not.

I do hope all those people changed ALL their passwords stored in their encrypted vaults....Harvest Now, Decrypt Later attacks are underway I guess.

Cloud storage is very dangerous. I just imagine if some employee messed up something before uploading a new version with 0 day vulnerability. As a FOSS Bitwarden user I hope regorous testing is done to the software before uploading it as the new version.

In this case big version updates are probably favourable over incremental weekly ones.

Reactions: MacHeritage

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
You wrote

I'll augment my comment, "Having ability is not a recipe for inability", to

"Having ability to read assembly code and use the terminal does not result in the inability to understand simpletons."

ah I see. Actually I think they do. When you are expert at some field, you just do not realise how others incapable in that area. A master chef might ask me to chop onions as a simple task (he probably can do it while closing his eyes), but all I will give him is deformed pieces in different shapes and sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.