Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I think it is important to point out what 1Password’s Secret Key in meant to do. From 1Password’s website:

“Your Secret Key protects your data off your devices. Someone who attempts a brute-force attack on our servers won’t be able to decrypt your data without your Secret Key, which we never have.”

Note that the Secret Key wouldn’t help protect your data if your device is stolen.

I think the Secret Key feature is a great idea, but I also believe this is far more important for those who choose to put their vaults on servers rather keeping them local.

Yeah, if a device is unlocked then the thief would only need to use the master password. However, I'm not sure how they would launch a brute-force attack against that master password using that device. I suspect they would move the vault to another platform for that and then the secret key would be in their way.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
yes it is. A password manager is a gloried spreadsheet"+ encryption+autofill. Even when you export your data it’s exported in CSV file.
it’s far from a glorified spreadsheet, and Excel isn’t a database.
I am not sure how difficult the encryption part is or the autofill. Is it worth $36 a year amid all the other subscriptions like video+email+vpn+other apps (office+adobe+and the rest) ?
This is why it’s far from a glorified spreadsheet. Is it worth the price? That is an option. IMO it’s definitely worth it considering it secures my life. They also haven’t raised the price since they launched it, not many companies can say that. People will spend way more on stuff that gives them less.
The reasons for leaving 1password is evil business tactics:

• Forced subscription (could have kept license option like Enpass with 3-4 years of security updates)
  • Forced their cloud storage
  • disabled local storage and local sync
  • lying to customers saying cloud storage and subscription model is the better option for their customers
  • I don't want to do business with a company that want to suck their customers dry for bigger profits
This is where I have an issue with this whole treat… this word. You’re comparing a password manager to something that is evil… like Hitler. Use unethical, wrong, bad, or whatever. Either way, it’s YOUR opinion….and you should to stop saying evil.

Quick summary (imo):

• 1password remains the best overall experience
Why I keep going back to them.… hence worth the price.
  • Bitwarden has better autofill capabilities (afaik)
  • Bitwarden does what 1password does for free
sure…. Ok. If you say so.
  • I tried enpass and Bitwarden. Both sufficient but enpass needs polishing and better autofill capabilities
  • Mini-assistant , Killer feature for me, is only offered by 2 password managers: Enpass and 1password.

Password managers that others members here tried and decided to settle with:

• Enpass
  • Bitwarden
  • Codebook
  • Strongbox
  • Read a couple went with Minimalist and Secrets
Srongbox, I like a lot. If it was just me, or even just me and my wife, I might use it.
Popular password managers on the app store that no one tried in this thread (AFAIK):

• Keeper
  • Dashlane
  • Roboform
  • mSecure
People in Reddit are saying Dashlane went way up in price. Keeper is shady IMO, as they tried to sue a news reporter for pointing out a security flaw.
Although it doesn't give the full picture, 1password is the lowest rated password manager on the iOS app store with one of the lower number of reviews
Like anything else you buy online, you have to read the actual ratings. It’s like the morons who give a seller on eBay a low rating because UPS took too long to deliver a package. You also have the people complaining about the subscription 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
I'm a 1Password user who is considering moving away. I've skimmed some of the 96 pages of this thread but haven't really seen much reference to Apple Keychain as a potential replacement. Is the fact that the Apple solution is not cross-platform the reason why it doesn't seem to be considered a viable option?

Reactions: MacBH928

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I'm a 1Password user who is considering moving away. I've skimmed some of the 96 pages of this thread but haven't really seen much reference to Apple Keychain as a potential replacement. Is the fact that the Apple solution is not cross-platform the reason why it doesn't seem to be considered a viable option?
For me keychain doesn’t have extras I need like able add secure notes, or password that is not for website like wifi, NAS, etc and also password manager is easier to sort in groups/tagging and easier to search and find. I like things neat, I like things organised and keychain isn’t that.

If keychain more like password manager I would use it more. I do use it for websites and it save password automatically but if open it and it looks messy, sometimes it doesn’t give website name you expect it and I am wonder what on earth that website is??? Like one example DisneyWorld website on keychain named as Go.com instead of Disney.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
A lot of people think it's a good option. 96 pages is a lot to skim, but there are many posts in that with people saying they use Apple Keychain.

Reactions: johnhackworth

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I was curious and had look cos they usually have highest reviews (before subscription). I was expecting people complaining about they being subscription and rate it low but turns out it not after all. It seems very buggy based on reviews like open in random item instead of last opened, open in edit mode instead of read mode so people accidentally changed details, all password items disappeared for while, etc.

Interesting, it seem gone downhill since changed to subscription. Didn't expect that because they was most stable and reliable password manager back those days.

My opinion of 1password was from pre-subscription days. If it has gone downhill from there, i do not know. It used to work flawless iirc.

It's a much more complex product now. I've had almost no issues with it. I've seen a couple of bugs over the last couple of years, but they get addressed in their regular patches.

How is it more complex other than adding the cloud sync ?

I strongly disagree. I'm not sure how to argue the point though, except by listing all the features that password programs have. I guess a person is a glorified mass of cells + poop.

It has other features which is nice additions, but people looking for core functionality:

1. Store credentials
  2. Autofill credentials
  3. Security and Encryption of vault
My point is that its not a complex app that needs subscription funding. For $5.8/Month you can get MS Office which has:

-Word -Excel -Powerpoint -Outlook -ClipChamp video editor -Teams -OneNote -1TB of cloud storage

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For $5.8/Month you can get MS Office
Economies of scale. The customer base of Office is 1.2 billion people, vs. only 15 million for 1PW. Agilebits has to pay its employees and if you buy a license, and don't upgrade consistently they may have problems which is why they went with the subscription model

1713885865419.png

1713885954183.png

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Just because you can get a CSV export does not make it a spreadsheet. Its actually a database, I can easily export fields from an oracle database into a CSV file, and that doesn't mean that Oracle is a spreadsheet. The vaults (doesn't matter if its BW, 1PW, or another) has fields, attributes, abilities to add/remove data without disrupting other records.

Ok, so its a database. Does it require monthly subscription to be sustainable? 1password grew and flourished with license model only for 11 years.

I was just curious if your opinion and others had changed during these past few years.

No

Was the time invested in searching, and trying different apps worth it?

Yes.

I didn't search a lot really. I switched to Enpass and settled, then tried Bitwarden and found it great. I keep Enpass around for the mini-assistant. I do not have to pay monthly for any of this nor do I have to be worried being held hostage by 1password if I fail to make the monthly rent.

Its just an odd (to me) occurrence to keep talking about the the topic of moving off of 1PW over and over, i.e., I'm leaving 1PW but never really settling in on a replacement.

I think everyone moved and settled.

The continuous talk is about the current state of password managers and if there is new options that came into the scene like ProtonPass which has 4.7/5 rating on ios app store. There are also newcomers who decide to switch from 1password.

• Angry
Reactions: maflynn

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I think it is important to point out what 1Password’s Secret Key in meant to do. From 1Password’s website:

“Your Secret Key protects your data off your devices. Someone who attempts a brute-force attack on our servers won’t be able to decrypt your data without your Secret Key, which we never have.”

Note that the Secret Key wouldn’t help protect your data if your device is stolen.

I think the Secret Key feature is a great idea, but I also believe this is far more important for those who choose to put their vaults on servers rather keeping them local.

If this secret key feature is so great, why other cloud storage services do not use it? is it difficult to implement?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008

its extremely limited in capability compared to other password managers.
Do not read too much in this thread, first post sums up everything almost.

Asking will give you a much faster response

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Economies of scale. The customer base of Office is 1.2 billion people, vs. only 15 million for 1PW. Agilebits has to pay its employees and if you buy a license, and don't upgrade consistently they may have problems which is why they went with the subscription model

View attachment 2371113

View attachment 2371114

15 Million * $100 license = $ 1 billion and 500 Million . God I hope they have enough to eat.

I am not against subscription model as long as you can keep a license option and let the customer choose. Even when they hid the license option deep in their pages I stayed with 1password.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm curious as to the state of this thread and what participants think after so much discussion.

The OP called password managers a "glorified password protected spreadsheet file browser" nearly 3 years ago and agile bits is an evil company. Is that still the assessment?

For me, I dipped my toe with Bit Warden for a bit of time, but went back to 1Password. My justification is agilebits offered a superior product, and experience then bitwarden - They have provided a safe, secure, well running application and service that allows me to use complex passwords.

After nearly 3 years and over 2,300 posts how content are people with their password managers? How many applications have you all tried and switched? If people are still trying to find a password manager after 3 years, then something isn't right, or have I misread the bulk of the conversations in this thread? I know there were a number of side bar conversations regarding the perceived superiority of open source vs. closed source, and vaults stored in the cloud vs on the device.

How many have people tried before finding one you're happy with? To me there seems to be a large amount of discontentedness - if people (mostly the same people) are still talking finding a replacement for 1password. What are these apps not doing that is causing people to keep looking, and investigating?
I used 1Password for years, from version 3 IIRC and paid the full price each version upgrade. I planned to do this when 1Password announced 1PW8 but removing basic features like storing your vault locally or in the cloud service of your choice, the option for a one time purchase, switching from a native Mac app to a generic cross platform Electron app, and AgileBit’s abysmal responses to customer concerns prompted me to switch.

Bitwarden was really being pushed at that time, and I switched to it. The basic functionality from 1Password is all there but the differences in UI isn’t just about aesthetics, Bitwarden is less intuitive and more clunky to use than 1Password. Still, I stuck with Bitwarden until 1Password announced they were offering passwordless login for your vault, and out of curiosity I switched back.

While I appreciated all the ways that 1PW was better than Bitwarden, I noticed that it was WAY more buggy than in the 1PW7 days, especially with regards to the browser extensions. I would say 85% of the time the Safari browser extension simply didn’t work. I could open the extension, I could manually copy and paste the credentials, but autofill just wouldn’t work most of the time. I would submit tickets to their support and post on their subreddit for help and it would be days or over a week to get responses. I knew this would not be sustainable long term.

This is what led me to seek out yet another alternative and how I ended up at Strongbox, which I wrote about earlier in the thread and is now the most fully featured password manager I’ve ever used, with support for Apple’s native autofill feature on Macs, and incredible support from the devs.

So that’s where I’ve landed. Strongbox is my stopping point unless the devs stop supporting it. It’s an exceptional app with tons of options in all areas and they will get my business from now on.

Reactions: MacBH928

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
My opinion of 1password was from pre-subscription days. If it has gone downhill from there, i do not know. It used to work flawless iirc.

How is it more complex other than adding the cloud sync ?

It has other features which is nice additions, but people looking for core functionality:

1. Store credentials
  2. Autofill credentials
My point is that its not a complex app that needs subscription funding. For $5.8/Month you can get MS Office which has:

-Word -Excel -Powerpoint -Outlook -ClipChamp video editor -Teams -OneNote -1TB of cloud storage
For a small price per month you sure can get a lot of terrible Microsoft software, that is true. I have to use office suite for work and god is it such a pain.

I have absolutely no problem paying a subscription for arguably the most important software in my entire digital life. A strong and well protected password manager is essential to keeping yourself from getting deeply screwed when hacks inevitably happen. That’s worth a few bucks per month, surely. I just want to be sure that what I’m getting for my subscription really is rock solid.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
This is why it’s far from a glorified spreadsheet. Is it worth the price? That is an option. IMO it’s definitely worth it considering it secures my life. They also haven’t raised the price since they launched it, not many companies can say that. People will spend way more on stuff that gives them less.

I would agree with you if they invented something no body has ever reached before, but password protection is not something new especially if stored locally. Keepass, veryacrypt, Cryptomator (in the cloud), are giving it away for free. Bitwarden and ProtonPass giving it away free too. Linux does full disk encryption free.

This is where I have an issue with this whole treat… this word. You’re comparing a password manager to something that is evil… like Hitler. Use unethical, wrong, bad, or whatever. Either way, it’s YOUR opinion….and you should to stop saying evil.

If its my opinion why should I stop saying evil? I truly do believe business can be evil ex1 ex2

People in Reddit are saying Dashlane went way up in price. Keeper is shady IMO, as they tried to sue a news reporter for pointing out a security flaw.

I too keep away from those "corporaty" products and aim for companies with more passion to a mission. As for Dashlane charging $5/Month , I have no idea why would anyone stay with them when you can have Roboform, Enpass, 1Password, for $3/M , Bitwarden $10/Year .

Like anything else you buy online, you have to read the actual ratings. It’s like the morons who give a seller on eBay a low rating because UPS took too long to deliver a package. You also have the people complaining about the subscription 🙄

I agree with you. In the case of 1password though, I will not call people morons for complaining about subscription because they bought this product and now its forced subscription to continue usage which is a disappointing experience. Its true though, its not criticism of the product itself.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I would agree with you if they invented something no body has ever reached before, but password protection is not something new especially if stored locally. Keepass, veryacrypt, Cryptomator (in the cloud), are giving it away for free. Bitwarden and ProtonPass giving it away free too. Linux does full disk encryption free.
If a person wants to make something and give it away, great. I own a company. I make things and I sell them… why should I give it away? I worked on the design, got the product made, and I sell it.

Keepass and Veryacrypt aren’t the most user friendly programs. Stongbox is good. When I was trying them, I was looking for other password managers that used Keepass and sadly a lot from downloads were either not updated for years or simply didn’t work. Free is great, but useless if you can’t get it to work for your needs.
To get one to work on my work computer was such a pain. I can’t download programs so I needed something like an extension. I found one, but it wasn’t user friendly at all. Again, 1Password works great in this situation for me by adding a guest account to my work computer.

Apple didn’t invent the computer or the phone either.

If it’s my opinion why should I stop saying evil? I truly do believe business can be evil ex1 ex2
So let’s me get this straight… you’re comparing a company who change they way they make money to ones that are the most “hated” company in the world (I use them) and one that was busted for laundering? Yup, all 3 are the same 🙄. The point of using the word evil for everything, it loses its meaning.

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
Found something interesting today. Lots of password managers do not allow you to export passkeys. (1password, bitwarden, others...) So your somewhat locked in unless you want to delete all your passkeys and create a bunch of new passkeys on a new password manager.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Found something interesting today. Lots of password managers do not allow you to export passkeys. (1password, bitwarden, others...) So your somewhat locked in unless you want to delete all your passkeys and create a bunch of new passkeys on a new password manager.
Yes they do. When I try other other password managers, I export all (including passkeys) without an issue.

Reactions: max2

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Found something interesting today. Lots of password managers do not allow you to export passkeys.
Is that more of the nature of passkeys then the password manager? I'm not really heavily invested/using passkeys yet, I'm rather ignorant of the comings and goings of passkeys.

Reactions: max2

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

1. Store credentials
  2. Autofill credentials

How on earth do you know what other people are looking for? Certainly I'm looking for more than that. 1Password's feature set is extensive. https://1password.com/product/features. If you don't care about features, then don't buy them.

You really should just use a spreadsheet. It's not too hard to copy from that into browser fields. You would save money.

Years ago (in the mid 90's) I handled my passwords in an encrypted file. I wrote a python program which would temporarily decrypt, parse, extract based on a keyword. It had all the security problems and limitations that you would have if you were to go with a spreadsheet. But solving those limitations is not something you want or are willing to pay for.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
So let’s me get this straight… you’re comparing a company who change they way they make money to ones that are the most “hated” company in the world (I use them) and one that was busted for laundering? Yup, all 3 are the same 🙄. The point of using the word evil for everything, it loses its meaning.

We're on the same page.

I do understand that 1Password abandoned some people. Some feel that they were dishonest in some way when that happened. I would need to study it quite a bit to draw a conclusion about that either way. But, a company has the right to change their business model.

If one were to spend time on their forums they would experience a first-class company that cares about its product and users. It does rile me up a bit that someone would call them evil.

And, yeah, companies have every right to charge for their work. I do.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
If this secret key feature is so great, why other cloud storage services do not use it? is it difficult to implement?

Apple does something like that. You need to have something associated with your device. The iCloud user id and password aren't enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.