Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterChief2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
Hello everyone. I have problem with El Capiten running on Mac Pro 1,1 (2x2.66GHz Dual Core, 2x2GB, GeForce GT710 2GB). First of all, I flashed Firmware to 2,1 and also flash SMC. I installed El Capitan following some tutirial on YT and i succesfuly booted but after five to ten minutes Mac freezes and then restart and I can't figure what's the problem. A tried to boot El Capitan with stock GPU (recognized as 7300GT 7MB) and problem is same, I managed to install Nvidia WEB drivers and GT710 was recognized with full acceleration but problem is still the same. On natively supported MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5 I have not this problems. So does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hello everyone. I have problem with El Capiten running on Mac Pro 1,1 (2x2.66GHz Dual Core, 2x2GB, GeForce GT710 2GB). First of all, I flashed Firmware to 2,1 and also flash SMC. I installed El Capitan following some tutirial on YT and i succesfuly booted but after five to ten minutes Mac freezes and then restart and I can't figure what's the problem. A tried to boot El Capitan with stock GPU (recognized as 7300GT 7MB) and problem is same, I managed to install Nvidia WEB drivers and GT710 was recognized with full acceleration but problem is still the same. On natively supported MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5 I have not this problems. So does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
Do you have any 512MB RAM modules?
Use 2GB or 4GB RAM only.

MasterChief2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
Hello, thanks for answer. I attached three KernelPanics in zip down below.

EDIT: No, I have two modules of 2GB.

Attachments

• KernelPanic.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 71

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Your panic reports show various processes related to the crashes (Spotlights "metadata server", Push Notification service or even the good ol' software update daemon).
I'd suggest you removed all unnecessary hardware from the Mac (I think you have a Windows formatted disk or flash thumb drive there?), started the computer in safe mode and tried to cause the crash by running some apps.
Similar crashes years ago were caused by my Windows hard drive that had trouble spinning up. So I wouldn't rule out a pure hardware situation.
Do you think your memory may overheat?

MasterChief2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
No, I don't have HDD with Windows installed, and I don't have flash drive. Well, I was running Prime95 for about 20h on MAC OS X Lion, and there was no problem, so I don't think is hardware problem. Also, I disassembled Mac Pro, cleaned the dust, changed thermal grease on CPUs and both heatsinks on MB just in case to be sure problem wasn't related because of overheating (machine was for the first time in 14 years disassembled). After cleaning, Mac Pro will sit forever on desktop without restaring, but as soon as I open any app (Safari, Finder, Settings) mouse just freezes and Mac Pro restarts.

Today I installed Yosemite from scratch, updated to latest version, and to this moment I haven't experinced any freezes or kernel panics, everything works almost fine. So, before I find more RAM I will stick with Yosemite, it's still supported system by third-party apps (Chrome, Skype, Kodi etc) and I'm sure 99% when developers stop supporting Yosemite it will affect El Capitan also.

Rocketman83

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Skaneateles, NY
No, I don't have HDD with Windows installed, and I don't have flash drive. Well, I was running Prime95 for about 20h on MAC OS X Lion, and there was no problem, so I don't think is hardware problem. Also, I disassembled Mac Pro, cleaned the dust, changed thermal grease on CPUs and both heatsinks on MB just in case to be sure problem wasn't related because of overheating (machine was for the first time in 14 years disassembled). After cleaning, Mac Pro will sit forever on desktop without restaring, but as soon as I open any app (Safari, Finder, Settings) mouse just freezes and Mac Pro restarts.

Today I installed Yosemite from scratch, updated to latest version, and to this moment I haven't experinced any freezes or kernel panics, everything works almost fine. So, before I find more RAM I will stick with Yosemite, it's still supported system by third-party apps (Chrome, Skype, Kodi etc) and I'm sure 99% when developers stop supporting Yosemite it will affect El Capitan also.
Sounds like you don't have enough RAM installed to run El Capitan, let alone other apps.

MasterChief2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
I have 4GB of RAM. Official minimal requirements is 2GB, and I also have MacBook Pro with 4GB witch is running macOS Catalina without problems.. But maybe RAM is problem, when I get hands on some RAM I will try

Rocketman83

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Skaneateles, NY
I have 4GB of RAM. Official minimal requirements is 2GB, and I also have MacBook Pro with 4GB witch is running macOS Catalina without problems.. But maybe RAM is problem, when I get hands on some RAM I will try
Yes, definitely get more RAM. The more, the better. I have 32GB in my Mac Pro 2,1. Runs El Capitan extremely well.

igor_y

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
Hello, I have a 1.1. Mac Pro which I upgraded to 2.1.
Specs: 20 Gb of RAM (modules 2Gb and 4Gb); NVidia Quadro FX 4500 (512 Mb); Mac OS: 10.7.5

For the basis I downloaded 10.11.6 dmg.

I performed steps according to the instructions described in #1390. Pikifying seemed to go well. When the moment to reboot came, I performed the reboot, and now I just keep seeing a blank grey screen which is stuck forever, nothing happens. No idea what is going on. If I try to load from the boot menu (reboot and holding Option key), I see the new installation drive, but when I click on it - everything just freezes.
I tried to use same SSD drive (second partition) and also an independent USB drive.

It is only possible to boot back to my original 10.7.5 partition.

Any ideas? I spent several days doing experiments, and I am lost...

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
11.6 has a non-compatible kernel, so it won't boot. You need to use an older kernel from 11.5. Pikifying does not replace the kernel with a compatible one nor prevents replacing this kernel during updates.

Edit - my mistake, 11.6 is indeed compatible, it's the security update that asks for being installed later that contains the incompatible kernel.

Last edited:

igor_y

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
11.6 has a non-compatible kernel, so it won't boot. You need to use an older kernel from 11.5. Pikifying does not replace the kernel with a compatible one nor prevents replacing this kernel during updates.
Hello, Thank you for your advice. I tried to download 11.5 (also tried 11.1) and repeat the pikifying, but unfortunately result is the same :( No progress.

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
That's odd. Does the computer start from USB if you detach all the drives?
If you have a spare disk (this SSD of yours) and create the installation media there, does it start if it's a single drive?

Go the usual route of NVRAM/SMC reset, try with a single drive attached and report back please.

igor_y

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
That's odd. Does the computer start from USB if you detach all the drives?
If you have a spare disk (this SSD of yours) and create the installation media there, does it start if it's a single drive?

Go the usual route of NVRAM/SMC reset, try with a single drive attached and report back please.
Actually what helped is a swap of a video card. As I suspected (but just had no way to check) - Quadro FX 4500 is incompatible. So once we inserted ATI Radeon HD 5870 everything went well. Thank you!

Reactions: hwojtek

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Actually what helped is a swap of a video card. As I suspected (but just had no way to check) - Quadro FX 4500 is incompatible. So once we inserted ATI Radeon HD 5870 everything went well. Thank you!
Does your video card have more than one output port? E.g. two DVI ports? If so disconnect the video cable from the card and reconnect to the other port...

I’ve encountered this myself. Sometimes the video routing goes to the other port, even though there is no cable connected.

Reactions: igor_y

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hey hwojtek,

can I gently correct this statement?!...

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 contains a fully compatible kernel file. It is perfectly okay to build your system with the Apple-supplied “Install OS X El Capitan” app that is released as 10.11.6.

Users should take care after installation. If you allow the System Preferences, Software Update tool to automatically install all available updates then you will probably allow your machine to install a “Security Update” whose version is 2018-001 or later. The “Security Update 2018-001” was the first update to introduce a new kernel file. It was this kernel file that is not compatible with the original Mac Pros.

My advice is to turn off automatic updates immediately, and then choose which updates you want to install. As far as I know all updates can be installed EXCEPT the “Security Update 2018-001” (or later revisions e.g. 002). Security Updates are cumulative, if one update causes an issue, all the Security updates that are released later will re-introduce the issue.

To get an Original Mac Pro to the latest upgrade levels WITHOUT installing SecUpd 2018-001 or later, you will probably need to visit the Apple Support web site, then scroll to the bottom of the page and find the link to the Downloads page. Search the downloads page for Security Update 2017-005. Download this file and install it. Security Update 2017-005 is the last “good” update before the 2018-001 introduced the new (incompatible) kernel file.

Once you have Sec Upd 2017-005 installed, you should be able to bring apps like Safari up to the latest release (for El Capitan).

If you do install Sec Upd 2018-001 or later, then your Mac Pro will not boot. The symptoms are: starts to boot, crashes almost immediately, automatically restarts, crashes, restarts, in a loop. Also known as a boot-loop.

If you get the boot-loop, you will need to recover. Try holding the Apple-R key combination at boot. You should be able to boot into the Recovery HD. You may be able to recover your Mac build by simply replacing the “bad” kernel file with the “last known good” kernel file extracted from the Security Update 2017-005... Search the forum for steps...

Reactions: igor_y and hwojtek

igor_y

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
Thanks guys! The idea was to get a second life for my 1.1, and to upgrade it so that it could run X Plane 11. Now it's with 24 Gb of RAM and with the GeForce GTX 980 Ti (web drivers for El Capitan). So far, so good. I am only thinking, may be to also upgrade CPUs.. : seems like the only left bottleneck. I've heard that Xeon 5365 should be a good replacement.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I run XPlane 11 on a dual monitor setup with a R9 280x and two 5355's - it's a bit laggy on replays in full graphical glory, but very usable otherwise. The Xeons are dirt cheap and a worthy upgrade.

igor_y

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2020
I run XPlane 11 on a dual monitor setup with a R9 280x and two 5355's - it's a bit laggy on replays in full graphical glory, but very usable otherwise. The Xeons are dirt cheap and a worthy upgrade.
Do you know what may cause the warning "Framerate is too low (19)..." (for example, on a JRD330-300 plane)? I suspect that this is due to native processors.. Tried to reduce textures quality etc. but it didn't help.

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
I tried installing El Capitan and it tells me it can not be installed - no pakages were eligable to install, after I got to the installer and waitied for it to install.
I followed the instructions from the Pikify Version 14 - no USB video.
I tried both on the SSD drive (I was running Yosimite (an earlier upgrade from Mavericks)) and a separate HD drive. Both gave the same results.
Any ideas?
Cheers.

Last edited:

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I tried installing El Capitan and it tells me it can not be installed - no pakages were eligable to install, after I got to the installer and waitied for it to install.
I followed the instructions from the Pikify Version 14 - no USB video.
I tried both on the SSD drive (I was running Yosimite (an earlier upgrade from Mavericks)) and a separate HD drive. Both gave the same results.
Any ideas?
Cheers.
Please read the first part of the post at #1390.
The Apple-supplied Install OS X El Capitan.app is now SO old that the security certificate has now expired. Post #1390 covers this, with an example of setting your clock backwards temporarily so that the certificate will then validate...

Alternatively:
Apple often refreshes the download of the 'Install OS X El Capitan' app. It might be that a fresh download of the Apple-supplied install app will have an up-to-date certificate.
Again, read post #1390, there is a link to an Apple knowledge base article. There is a link on that Apple web page to download El Capitan. Download this fresh copy and try that....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.