Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0tsofcub3s

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
I have an xserve 1,1, and I have used pikify's installer for El Capitan , but I get the error that it has already been installed. I went into terminal and used the diskutil info for the disk I am installing on. Can anyone help me with this?
IMG_0835.JPG

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I have an xserve 1,1, and I have used pikify's installer for El Capitan , but I get the error that it has already been installed. I went into terminal and used the diskutil info for the disk I am installing on. Can anyone help me with this?
Try resetting the PRAM
Also check out the last few posts about certificates and date/time

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
You can download the Security update from here...
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1945?locale=en_US

then use Pacifist and these instructions...

* download the El Capitan 2017-005 update
* extract the 2017 kernel from it using Pacifist
* copy the 2017 kernel over the 2018 kernel on your El Capitan partition
* run 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' on the El Capitan partition
Hi, after getting the bootloop and trying to find a solution, I tried the above and stuck on the last part.
What is the procedure to - * run 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' on the El Capitan partition?

Cheers.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.

your screenshot seems to indicate that you’ve booted from the installer device or perhaps you don’t have the disk formatted with the GPT partition scheme.
It’s showing disk0 located in bay 2

BUT

it’s also showing “OS can be installed” = no

In my experience that usually means disk0 is not formatted correctly.

Try to launch the Disk Utility app and check the partition type. The OS typically needs the GUID partition type. If it’s not GPT, you’ll need to reformat the whole drive selecting GUID partition map for scheme and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the volume format.

From the size/used values it looks like there’s no existing data on the drive (if there is make sure you have a backup of the data before reformatting).

Then try again...

GPT partition disks tend to have 3 “slices”
disk0s1
disk0s2
disk0s3

Slice 1 is typically the small EFI partition
Slice 2 is typically the main volume
Slice 3 is typically the Recovery HD

Last edited:

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hi, after getting the bootloop and trying to find a solution, I tried the above and stuck on the last part.
What is the procedure to - * run 'touch /System/Library/Extensions' on the El Capitan partition?

Cheers.

'touch' is a command line tool.

If you are not yet booted from this disk/volume, then add /Volumes/<your-volume-name> to the front of the path. Let's assume you're referring to your El Capitan volume and that it mounts on the desktop as 'Macintosh HD'

Open a Terminal (from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, or if you're using the Recovery HD from the Utilities menu)

You might need to elevate your permissions/privileges, we'll use super-user-do, aka sudo

Type:
Code:
sudo touch "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"
(The quotation marks are important because there is a space in the volume name)

Depending on where/how you started the Terminal, it'll either just work, or you will be prompted for a password in which case enter the password you used to log in.

You're then probably at the step to reboot...

Reactions: cakey

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
'touch' is a command line tool.

If you are not yet booted from this disk/volume, then add /Volumes/<your-volume-name> to the front of the path. Let's assume you're referring to your El Capitan volume and that it mounts on the desktop as 'Macintosh HD'

Open a Terminal (from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, or if you're using the Recovery HD from the Utilities menu)

You might need to elevate your permissions/privileges, we'll use super-user-do, aka sudo

Type:
Code:
sudo touch "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"
(The quotation marks are important because there is a space in the volume name)

Depending on where/how you started the Terminal, it'll either just work, or you will be prompted for a password in which case enter the password you used to log in.

You're then probably at the step to reboot...

Many thanks. It worked.

One question. Would it be possible to clone El Capitan from my Mac Book Pro onto my Mac Pro now running this version of El Capitan?

Cheers.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Many thanks. It worked.

One question. Would it be possible to clone El Capitan from my Mac Book Pro onto my Mac Pro now running this version of El Capitan?

Cheers.

in theory yes. In practice you should think carefully. If the MBP is “up to date” with the Mac OS X updates and the Security Updates for El Capitan, then the kernel will likely be incompatible.

You can clone the MBP.

Then copy/overwrite the boot.efi files at /System/Library/CoreServices/ and /usr/standalone/i386, and copy/overwrite the kernel file at /System/Library/Kernels

(the last known good kernel for classic MacPros is found from the Security Update 2017-005)

Don’t forget to run the touch command after you replace the kernel. It rebuilds the kernel extension cache...

Why do you want to clone?

Reactions: cakey and hwojtek

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Why do you want to clone?
Do you simply want to move your user data and installed apps from your MBP to your MP? You can use the Migration Assistant for that. You will find it in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

If both machines are on the same network then it’s fairly simple to run the Migration Assistant on both machines. It transfers your data between the two....

Reactions: cakey

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
Do you simply want to move your user data and installed apps from your MBP to your MP? You can use the Migration Assistant for that. You will find it in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

If both machines are on the same network then it’s fairly simple to run the Migration Assistant on both machines. It transfers your data between the two....
Yes, move all my apps and user data.
I have never done that before so I was unsure about it.
I will take a look.
Cheers.

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
Damn, I was unable to use migration assistant as I got the message:
"The selected source cannot be used for migration
This source is using a Case Sensitive filesystem (my MBP), while your Mac is not."

Last edited:

ThibFleu

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
Bonjour,
Merci énormément pour ce que vous faites. J'ai besoin de votre aide car le programme d'installation de El Capitan sur le disque externe MacIntosh HD El Capitan ne va pas jusqu'au bout, s'arrête et le mac redémarre. J'ai changé la date dans préférence système/Date et heures, mais cela ne fonctionne pas... J'ai utilisé votre version V14, mon mac est un mac pro 2,1. Merci beaucoup de bien vouloir me donner un coup de main,
Bien cordialement,
Thibaud

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Bonjour,
Merci énormément pour ce que vous faites. J'ai besoin de votre aide car le programme d'installation de El Capitan sur le disque externe MacIntosh HD El Capitan ne va pas jusqu'au bout, s'arrête et le mac redémarre. J'ai changé la date dans préférence système/Date et heures, mais cela ne fonctionne pas... J'ai utilisé votre version V14, mon mac est un mac pro 2,1. Merci beaucoup de bien vouloir me donner un coup de main,
Bien cordialement,
Thibaud

hello, how much RAM do you have fitted to your MacPro? You MUST have a minimum of 12GB of RAM. Also, you should not have any 512Mb RAM modules fitted... If you can access the volume, take a look at the log file /var/log/install.log. Can you see a reference to unable to unpack the system essentials package?

bonjour, combien de RAM avez-vous installé sur votre MacPro? Vous DEVEZ avoir un minimum de 12 Go de RAM. De plus, aucun module RAM de 512 Mo ne devrait être installé ... Si vous pouvez accéder au volume, consultez le fichier journal /var/log/install.log. Pouvez-vous voir une référence à l'impossibilité de déballer le package des éléments essentiels du système?

Reactions: hwojtek

pveatx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
Netherlands
Hi guys, new topic. Happily running a MacPro 1,1 with El Capitan 10.11.6, 12GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Cinema Display and 5TB of disk. Normally works very well. However, most sites do not support the old Safari any more. Chrome does not like websites with invalid certificate chains. This old box obviously has very old root and intermediate certificates.

Has anyone found a solution to get these certificates updated, e.g. by copying them from a newer mac? I'm sure more people would be interested...

supagiant

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2020
The version I have of el cap is bootable. I used disk utility to restore it onto a ssd. When I start up from it, it launches right into el cap with Apple welcome screen. There is a progress bar every time I startup but everything else works fine. Is the easy install and progress bar normal?
Running on Mac Pro 1,1 converted to Mac Pro 2,1

Last edited:

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Hi folks,

I’ve been given a Mac Pro 2,1 by my Father in Law and I’m trying to use v14 no USB to put El Capitan on it.

At first I was getting the grey screen after Pikify was done, so I seen the post about changing the system time ... which I did, back to 20/01/2018.

However, when I use Terminal and try to use the sudo -s command to become root user it tells me the time stamp is too far in the future?

How do I become root user to get this to work now?

Thanks.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Hi folks,

I’ve been given a Mac Pro 2,1 by my Father in Law and I’m trying to use v14 no USB to put El Capitan on it.

At first I was getting the grey screen after Pikify was done, so I seen the post about changing the system time ... which I did, back to 20/01/2018.

However, when I use Terminal and try to use the sudo -s command to become root user it tells me the time stamp is too far in the future?

How do I become root user to get this to work now?

Thanks.

Ok, so I used sudo-k to allow me to become root and try Pikify 14 again ... same deal, grey screen on boot after Pikify does it thing.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Ok, so I used sudo-k to allow me to become root and try Pikify 14 again ... same deal, grey screen on boot after Pikify does it thing.
After Pikify has done its thing is a bit vague. Sorry to be blunt! Do you mean Pikify did it’s thing, rebooted, installer choices screen launched, started a terminal from the utilities menu, set the date and time backwards, exit the terminal back to the installer choices, launched the installer, ran to completion, rebooted, AND THEN get a grey screen?

let us know where in that chain of events you got to...
[automerge]1587661642[/automerge]
The version I have of el cap is bootable. I used disk utility to restore it onto a ssd. When I start up from it, it launches right into el cap with Apple welcome screen. There is a progress bar every time I startup but everything else works fine. Is the easy install and progress bar normal?
Running on Mac Pro 1,1 converted to Mac Pro 2,1

when you boot a working Mac (any variety), you usually hear a chime, then the screen shows a Apple logo in the centre (either a grey or black background). A progress bar then appears to give you an indication of how far and how fast it is booting. That’s perfectly “normal”. If you’re more used to the Windows world, then it’s the equivalent of the Windows circle of chasing dots as an indicator that the OS is loading...

Last edited:

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
After Pikify has done its thing is a bit vague. Sorry to be blunt! Do you mean Pikify did it’s thing, rebooted, installer choices screen launched, started a terminal from the utilities menu, set the date and time backwards, exit the terminal back to the installer choices, launched the installer, ran to completion, rebooted, AND THEN get a grey screen?

let us know where in that chain of events you got to...
[automerge]1587661642[/automerge]

when you boot a working Mac (any variety), you usually hear a chime, then the screen shows a Apple logo in the centre (either a grey or black background). A progress bar then appears to give you an indication of how far and how fast it is booting. That’s perfectly “normal”. If you’re more used to the Windows world, then it’s the equivalent of the Windows circle of chasing dots as an indicator that the OS is loading...

Sorry!

I do all the Terminal commands and Pikify copies over everything and I get to the press Y to reset and begin installation.

I hit Y and return and the Mac Pro resets, and it sits on a grey screen. No installer. I need to power off and hold the option key down to select my Lion install.

I tried changing the clock in Lion before blanking the El Capitan source drive and running Pikify again, but to no joy, same outcome. I only have the stock 7300 but my Father in Law did have El Capitan on this Mac Pro prior to giving it to me, I done the Pikify process for him but it was a good while ago now (he only gave me it with the Lion HD and kept the El Capitan one to blank and use elsewhere.)

I’m not investing in a new Video card until I get El Capitan installed; then I’ll start asking for recommendations!

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Sorry!

I do all the Terminal commands and Pikify copies over everything and I get to the press Y to reset and begin installation.

I hit Y and return and the Mac Pro resets, and it sits on a grey screen. No installer. I need to power off and hold the option key down to select my Lion install.

I tried changing the clock in Lion before blanking the El Capitan source drive and running Pikify again, but to no joy, same outcome. I only have the stock 7300 but my Father in Law did have El Capitan on this Mac Pro prior to giving it to me, I done the Pikify process for him but it was a good while ago now (he only gave me it with the Lion HD and kept the El Capitan one to blank and use elsewhere.)

I’m not investing in a new Video card until I get El Capitan installed; then I’ll start asking for recommendations!

has the 7300 got 2 DVI ports? I’m lazy and can’t be bothered to root around in my cupboard of bits to blow the dust off mine!

I think I remember it having 2 ports. Try the “simple” fix. Move the cable to the other port. I’ve encountered this issue once or twice myself. For some reason the OS sees both ports as connected and routes the video to the wrong port. You end up seeing the “second” screen which has nothing on it. Hence the grey screen. You can “test” the theory by scooting the mouse to the edge of the screen if it sticks on one edge but disappears off the other, then the OS does indeed “think” it has two screens attached.

You will need to buy a new gfx card. El Capitan uses accelerated graphics quite extensively. You “can” use the original 7300, but it will frustrate you. Don’t go mad and buy a current generation card, El Capitan won’t have drivers for it. Buy a card from the MacPro 3,1 or 4,1 era. I’ve used a Radeon 5770 and a GTX 670. I was able to flash the Radeon to support boot screens, but the not the GTX.

Last edited:

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
has the 7300 got 2 DVI ports? I’m lazy and can’t be bothered to root around in my cupboard of bits to blow the dust off mine!

I think I remember it having 2 ports. Try the “simple” fix. Move the cable to the other port. I’ve encountered this issue once or twice myself. For some reason the OS sees both ports as connected and routes the video to the wrong port. You end up seeing the “second” screen which has nothing on it. Hence the grey screen. You can “test” the theory by scooting the mouse to the edge of the screen if it sticks on one edge but disappears off the other, then the OS does indeed “think” it has two screens attached.

You will need to buy a new gfx card. El Capitan uses accelerated graphics quite extensively. You “can” use the original 7300, but it will frustrate you. Don’t go mad and buy a current generation card, El Capitan won’t have drivers for it. Buy a card from the MacPro 3,1 or 4,1 era. I’ve used a Radeon 5770 and a GTX 670. I was able to flash the Radeon to support boot screens, but the not the GTX.

Hi and thanks again for replying. Yeah the card has two DVI ports, I tried changing them when on the grey screen ... no luck, screen was pitch black. I’m thinking I have giant metal paperweight at this point. I’m using the stock El Capitan installer from the Mac App Store, placed in the Applications folder.

I’m lost as to why it won’t install. The Mac Pro has 4 drives in it, so I formatted one and called it El Capitan, pointed Pikify to it, and grey screen after hitting Y and resetting to hopefully see the installer.

If the blank screen is indeed seen as a second screen, is there a way to “tab” onto the actual screen and see the installer? My iMac can’t go any higher than El Capitan either, and it’s so slow now, so I was really hoping I could get this Pro onto El Capitan and have a faster experience as all the apps I need for what I do work in El Capitan.

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
Hello @EpilepticGerbil

(Great handle by the way :cool:)

Take a closer look at the video. From the text that you have attached it is obvious that you are dragging/dropping the Install OS X El Capitan app when you should be dragging and dropping the disk icon that you want to use for the “built/slipstreamed” installer files.

(The pikify script or the App takes the Apple supplied installer, and builds a “new installer” with the Pike modifications. Once it’s done that, you reboot into that modified installer and proceed from there).

Your problem is that you’re drag/dropping the wrong item

Hello, thank firts of all for all this forum.

i reply to this post beacuse, it looks like have the same issue:

im folling this great video:
to install el capitan on macbook A1211 from 2006

the problem is:

i drag the iso of el capitan to Applications folder all so drag to desktop, first by draging and drop, then the secound time by copy option... all of them gives the same erro volume error

bash-3.2# ./createpikeinstallmedia /Users/luis/Desktop/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

when push enter gives this error:

Cannot find the volume /Users/luis/Desktop/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

all so to:

bash-3.2# ./createpikeinstallmedia /Applications/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

Cannot find the volume /Applications/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

all the copys to desktop, the icon look like paper with hard disk in the middle, instead solid icon hard drive, like it show of my hard drive, that one is solid hard drive on desktop...
it looks like, the problem is the way is create the copy from usb to hard drive of mac...i guess, please help with it...

Best wishes to you all, thank you for this forum!

Last edited:

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
So, some slight ... progress? lol

I hooked up to the second DVI port while on Lion.

I changed the date via Terminal (not just via Settings app).

I disabled WiFi while Pikify ran.

I selected a black boot screen.

System reset after Pikify finished ... I seen the Apple logo, but was prompted by the installer (it was El Capitan, recognised the window style, etc).

Connected to my WiFi ... boom, back to the grey screen with the cursor.

Tried going back to the other DVI port ... nothing at all on screen.

This is BEYOND frustrating!!!!

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Progress update 2 ...

I got the installer to start (I just restarted, hell option key and chose the drive Pikify copied its data onto) ... I then chose the drive to install on.

So far so good, but ...

I get the error message saying:

“No packages were eligible for install. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.”

Last edited:

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Progress update number 3!

I changed the date again, this time to 24/04/2018 (I was on 24/04/2015 before, just choose somewhere after Lion was released).

I used Terminal within the installer and used the date-u command to set the date to today in 2018 and when I reset, the installer started to work.

El Capitan is now installing.

What. A. Hassle. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.