Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Not sure what the update was--but I hate it.

On my usb--the boot.efi file was about 313kb (which was same size/date as another copy I have saved on another/newer Mac).

But--following your suggestion/video above--I copy/pasted boot.efi from my original install (saved on different computer) into my boot usb in 2 locations:

a) System/Library/Core Services

b) usr/standalone/i386

Then, ejected usb, plugged it into Mac Pro 2,1.

Boot--white apple on black screen--"progress bar" frozen ~1 inch x 20 minutes.

Other suggestions?
Oh, dear. You might have put the "wrong" version of Pike's boot.efi onto your USB.
Pike's version 2.x releases were targeted at Yosemite.
Pike's version 3.x releases were targeted at El Capitan.

I'm not sure, v3.1 might be compatible with Yosemite, I've never tried it....
[doublepost=1502995074][/doublepost]
Power--bong--alt--2 disks (one main hard drive, one recovery 10.10)--no usb icon anywhere.

Click recovery 10.10--gray screen.......that never ends

Thoughts?

Do I have to remake the USB installer by following complete instructions?
Okay, you mention another machine....
I'm assuming that is a Mac as well.
Do you have a FireWire cable, and ports on your other Mac? If you do you can put the MacPro into target disk mode.

Connect the two machines together with FireWire, reboot MacPro, bong, hold Apple and T.
In target disk mode your other machine should see the MacPro disks as attached disks.
Copy the boot.efi files using your other Mac
[doublepost=1502995210][/doublepost]
Oh, dear. You might have put the "wrong" version of Pike's boot.efi onto your USB.

Do you have a FireWire cable, and ports on your other Mac? If you do you can put the MacPro into target disk mode.

Connect the two machines together with FireWire, reboot MacPro, bong, hold Apple and T.
In target disk mode your other machine should see the MacPro disks as attached disks.
Do you have an external HDD caddie? If so pull the MacPro HDD and attach it to the other machine...
[doublepost=1502995332][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1502995210][/doublepost]
Do you have an external HDD caddie? If so pull the MacPro HDD and attach it to the other machine...

OR

Yes, you could rebuild your USB stick. Before you do that, try connecting that to your other machine, and use the Terminal to run the bless command. Bless the USB stick properly and it will probably then show up as bootable

tsmvp

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Ottawa,ON
Ladies/Gents,

Sort of a noob here. Mac Pro 1,1 with 32GB and an R9 280X video card. Downloaded the Yosemite Installer from Mega. Created a bootable USB drive.
When I power it on with the USB drive and hold option, I can indeed see three drives. The SSD, a recovery one and the USB. I select the USB one.
I can then see the progress bar and apple logo and the USB drive flashing so it is indeed reading off it.
Then the Apple logo and progress bar disappear. At that point, no more anything. No activity.
I tried with the drive (SSD) on bay 1 and 4. Same exact results.
Any ideas? Bad USB?

Thanks!

CR

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Ladies/Gents,

Sort of a noob here. Mac Pro 1,1 with 32GB and an R9 280X video card. Downloaded the Yosemite Installer from Mega. Created a bootable USB drive.
When I power it on with the USB drive and hold option, I can indeed see three drives. The SSD, a recovery one and the USB. I select the USB one.
I can then see the progress bar and apple logo and the USB drive flashing so it is indeed reading off it.
Then the Apple logo and progress bar disappear. At that point, no more anything. No activity.
I tried with the drive (SSD) on bay 1 and 4. Same exact results.
Any ideas? Bad USB?

Thanks!

CR
Your USB is probably good.

Classic MacPros (1,1 and 2,1) will not run any version of MacOSX after 10.7.x Lion (without some modification).
If you have downloaded a copy of Yosemite from Mega, it may not have been modified. Even the installer is a stripped down version of MacOSX at the same version of the installer.
You are probably trying to boot the Yosemite installer (Yosemite MacOSX) without the modifications.
It will not work.

You have a few choices:
  1. Learn how to make the modifications yourself
    • Start from post #1 of this thread and keep reading
    • There are all the commands and how-to entries you will require
  2. Install the highest version of Mac OS X that can run on Classic Mac Pros
    • This is Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
A lot of people have contributed to the knowledge and modifications to keep the Classic Mac Pros running. My own contribution was trying to make it easy.
If you want to try El Capitan, then look for my pikify script, or the new App.
You can find the "pikify" tool and supporting files on page-56 post #1390 of the "2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X El Capitan" thread.
Boot64 is found on page-56 at post #1391.
PRAM & SMC reset procedures #3240 - #3244

Reactions: jbarley

tsmvp

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Ottawa,ON
Your USB is probably good.

Classic MacPros (1,1 and 2,1) will not run any version of MacOSX after 10.7.x Lion (without some modification).
If you have downloaded a copy of Yosemite from Mega, it may not have been modified. Even the installer is a stripped down version of MacOSX at the same version of the installer.
You are probably trying to boot the Yosemite installer (Yosemite MacOSX) without the modifications.
It will not work.

You have a few choices:
  1. Learn how to make the modifications yourself
    • Start from post #1 of this thread and keep reading
    • There are all the commands and how-to entries you will require
  2. Install the highest version of Mac OS X that can run on Classic Mac Pros
    • This is Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
A lot of people have contributed to the knowledge and modifications to keep the Classic Mac Pros running. My own contribution was trying to make it easy.
If you want to try El Capitan, then look for my pikify script, or the new App.
You can find the "pikify" tool and supporting files on page-56 post #1390 of the "2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X El Capitan" thread.
Boot64 is found on page-56 at post #1391.
PRAM & SMC reset procedures #3240 - #3244
Thanks a lot for your reply. I got the image from Mega that was supposed to be patched already. I did not look at it to see if the boot.efi was replaced on it. After doing a bit of more research I got an El Capitan image ready to go. Replaced the two boot.efi files, rebooted and it worked first try!
Very happy to see my old Mac Pro, bought brand new in 2006, running 10.11.6. Now I have a great desktop, with one SSD for El Capitan, one for Windows 10 Pro Creators Update and another with Good Ol'Lion. Very flexible setup and allows me to run whatever I need with a simple reboot. And the R9 280X seems like a great card as it works perfectly on all the OSs I am booting.

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

CR

beaullucas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Hi

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and am looking to upgrade to either Yosemite or El Capitan. I thought I would give Yosemite a go first, have downloaded the installer from Mega and am in the process of creating an installation file on a USB drive following Hennessie's method posted in this forum. However I have hit a snag in that no matter what I do I cannot seem to replace the locked boot.efi file in the CoreServices directory, neither on the USB drive nor on my HD. I have followed his instructions and others found on line, but keep getting an error in terminal: either 'No such file or directory' or 'sudo: chflags: command not found'.

This is the command I have entered (as well as other variations such as '1TB_WDC') where 1TB WDC is the name of my HD and OSXBaseSystem the name of the USB drive: 'sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/1TB-WDC/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi' and 'sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/OSXBaseSystem/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi'.
Any help regarding where I am going wrong would be very much appreciated!

b

Ant3000

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2015
UK
Isn't the version on Mega already patched? That is, the boot efi files have already been swapped. Also, the version on Mega may not be the latest version so if you do install it any further updates could affect the boot.efi files unless you protect them with PikeYoseFix which is referred to lots of times on this thread.
Or go straight to El Capitan following the instructions on the El Capitan thread.

beaullucas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Isn't the version on Mega already patched? That is, the boot efi files have already been swapped. Also, the version on Mega may not be the latest version so if you do install it any further updates could affect the boot.efi files unless you protect them with PikeYoseFix which is referred to lots of times on this thread.
Or go straight to El Capitan following the instructions on the El Capitan thread.
Thanks for your reply. Not sure if the Mega version is patched, but the boot.efi file there is almost twice the size (586kb) of the original (336kb) in 10.6.8, so perhaps it is.
I'm aware of the PikeYoseFix.
I haven't gone straight to El Capitan as I had read somewhere in that thread that the ATI Radeon HD 5770 might not be compatible with that OS, and also thought that Yosemite might be more straightforward (!). Altho' I've been using macs for 25+ years, this is my first attempt at doing any under-the-hood tinkering. I'll give the El Capitan thread another, more thorough read.
Nevertheless, I still don't understand why the boot.efi file in the CoreServices directory wasn't apparently changed.
Cheers
b

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Thanks for your reply. Not sure if the Mega version is patched, but the boot.efi file there is almost twice the size (586kb) of the original (336kb) in 10.6.8, so perhaps it is.
I'm aware of the PikeYoseFix.
I haven't gone straight to El Capitan as I had read somewhere in that thread that the ATI Radeon HD 5770 might not be compatible with that OS, and also thought that Yosemite might be more straightforward (!). Altho' I've been using macs for 25+ years, this is my first attempt at doing any under-the-hood tinkering. I'll give the El Capitan thread another, more thorough read.
Nevertheless, I still don't understand why the boot.efi file in the CoreServices directory wasn't apparently changed.
Cheers
b
You need to be the super user (root).
Then you need to “unlock” the file with the chflags command
Finally you can copy/overwrite the boot.efi file

I have a 5770 and it’s perfectly happy with El Capitan.
Mine is a generic brand (XFX) and works fine unmodified once the OS is launched. Unmodified it will not show the EFI boot screens during start up.

I have flashed my card after working with user fl0r!an at the Netkas forums.
Flashing my card means it now shows the EFI boot screens.

Note, a good number of generic cards can be flashed to provide boot screens on the classic MacPros (but not all). There are more cards that can be flashed for MacPro 3,1 and higher.

beaullucas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
You need to be the super user (root).
Then you need to “unlock” the file with the chflags command
Finally you can copy/overwrite the boot.efi file

I have a 5770 and it’s perfectly happy with El Capitan.
Mine is a generic brand (XFX) and works fine unmodified once the OS is launched. Unmodified it will not show the EFI boot screens during start up.

I have flashed my card after working with user fl0r!an at the Netkas forums.
Flashing my card means it now shows the EFI boot screens.

Note, a good number of generic cards can be flashed to provide boot screens on the classic MacPros (but not all). There are more cards that can be flashed for MacPro 3,1 and higher.
Thanks for your reply regarding unlocking files. My problems make sense now!
Not too sure about flashing a graphics card. I'm assuming my Ati Radeon 5770 is unflashed, and that is something that can be done after moving to El Capitan?
But first things first. I think it'll be a big step just to get to El Capitan.
Cheers
b

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
That's good advice, if it weren't for the fact that I am unable to find a copy of the EL installer to install. The copy available from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 will only download to a non 1,1 Mac Pro that runs Snow Leopard.

If you have a way to run an install of SL/Lion/ML/Mav/Yose in a virtual machine (Parallels, vmWare, etc.), the App Store will let you d/l available versions.

Regards, splifingate

beaullucas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
If you have a way to run an install of SL/Lion/ML/Mav/Yose in a virtual machine (Parallels, vmWare, etc.), the App Store will let you d/l available versions.

Regards, splifingate
Do you mean run OS X on a virtual Windows machine inside a Mac Pro 1,1? Excuse my ignorance, but how does that work?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Do you mean run OS X on a virtual Windows machine inside a Mac Pro 1,1? Excuse my ignorance, but how does that work?

In the past (when we were beginning to upgrade our 1,1's to Mountain Lion/Mavericks), the only way to download an Official Installer.app from the App Store was to run a copy of OS X inside a virtual machine.

I had a vmWare license at the time, so that's what I used . . . never used Parallels, but I imagine the process is similar.

You can run virtually (no pun intended) any operating system inside a virtual machine with these softwares, and work with said 'installation' as if you had installed it directly onto a fixed-disk on your computer.

I have run installs of OS X Leopard through El Capitan inside virtual machines, and can attest that they function rather well, albeit much-more slowly (pursuant to the limitations of running an OS inside of another OS, that is (e.g., reduced access to cores, in-direct access to hardware, performance-reduction, etc.)).

You can also experience/inhabit installs of any Windows/Linux/BSD/etc. in a virtual environment as much and as often as you desire :)

Nevertheless, the verifications that Install OS X [insert-name-here].app >OS X InstallESD > Packages > OSInstall.mpkg > Distribution performs during initialisation to determine if you are running legitimate software on a legitimate hunk of hardware allows the "You're Good!" flag to be set.

The following code is from "Distribution" in the Yosemite .app:

Code:
function isVirtualMachine(){

var cpuFeatures = system.sysctl( 'machdep.cpu.features' );
            cpuFeatures=cpuFeatures.split(" ");
            for( var i = 0; i < cpuFeatures.length; i++ ){
                 if( cpuFeatures[i] == "VMM" ){
                        return true;
                  }  
            }
            return false;          

}

function isSupportedPlatform(){

if( isVirtualMachine() ){
        return true;
    }

var platformSupportValues=["Mac-031B6874CF7F642A","Mac-F2268DC8","Mac-F22587C8","Mac-50619A408DB004DA","Mac-F2218EA9","Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3","Mac-F22C8AC8","Mac-AFD8A9D944EA4843","Mac-F227BEC8","Mac-F226BEC8","Mac-F305150B0C7DEEEF","Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF","Mac-77EB7D7DAF985301","Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C","Mac-7BA5B2794B2CDB12","Mac-BE0E8AC46FE800CC","Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86","Mac-F42D86A9","Mac-4B7AC7E43945597E","Mac-F22C89C8","Mac-F22587A1","Mac-937CB26E2E02BB01","Mac-942459F5819B171B","Mac-F42388C8","Mac-F223BEC8","Mac-F4238CC8","Mac-F222BEC8","Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E","Mac-F2208EC8","Mac-66F35F19FE2A0D05","Mac-F4238BC8","Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC","Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2","Mac-8ED6AF5B48C039E1","Mac-FA842E06C61E91C5","Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4","Mac-06F11FD93F0323C5","Mac-F42C86C8","Mac-06F11F11946D27C5","Mac-6F01561E16C75D06","Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6","Mac-81E3E92DD6088272","Mac-F2268EC8","Mac-F22589C8","Mac-3CBD00234E554E41","Mac-F22788AA","Mac-F22586C8","Mac-F221BEC8","Mac-942C5DF58193131B","Mac-F2238BAE","Mac-9F18E312C5C2BF0B","Mac-F2268CC8","Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F","Mac-F221DCC8","Mac-F2218FC8","Mac-94245A3940C91C80","Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61","Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED","Mac-F42D89C8","Mac-942B59F58194171B","Mac-F42D89A9","Mac-F2268AC8","Mac-F22C86C8","Mac-F2238AC8","Mac-942452F5819B1C1B","Mac-F2218FA9","Mac-F42D88C8","Mac-94245B3640C91C81","Mac-F42D86C8","Mac-42FD25EABCABB274","Mac-7DF2A3B5E5D671ED","Mac-F2268DAE","Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663","Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5","Mac-031AEE4D24BFF0B1","Mac-F42C88C8","Mac-35C5E08120C7EEAF","Mac-F42386C8","Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6","Mac-F42C89C8","Mac-942B5BF58194151B","Mac-F2218EC8"];
    var boardID = system.ioregistry.fromPath('IOService:/')['board-id'];

if( !boardID || platformSupportValues.length == 0 ) {
        return false
    }
    for( var i = 0; i < platformSupportValues.length; i++ ){
         if( boardID == platformSupportValues[i] ){
                return true;
          }  
    }

return false;
}

If you are using a hunk of hardware that uses Intel cpus that allow VT-x, you're Good-To-Go (Mac Pro 1,1 has this core functionality embedded in all CPU's).

Traditionally (from the days of Jabbawok (when those of us 'In Need' were searching for a way to install Mountain Lion (which was not "allowed" on our 1,1 Mac Pro's (see: https://web.archive.org/web/20130407172937/http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47, and http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=194)))), it was necessary to add our 1,1 BoardID to the 'var platformSupportValues' list, re-insert 'Distribution' into the Install OS X [etc.], update our Chameleon EFI-obfuscator (all of which was torn-down, and re-invented with the code Tiamo brought to the table) and go-forward from there.

Tedious; time-consuming; oft-frustrating; yet entirely-satisfying {to say the least} <smile>

If you have a license for vmWare/Parallels, install a copy of the Install OS X.app in a virtual environment, let the process come-to-a-head, allow your AppleID, let the soft do-its-thing, and you should be able to d/l a copy of the installer . . . make sure to copy it to an external device (thumb, drive, etc.), thus allowing you to install(!) it else/where/when onto to your desired machine.

Regards, splifingate

Reactions: humann

beaullucas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Dear splifingate
Thanks for your detailed reply. Much appreciated! And timely.
The phrase "albeit much-more slowly" is the killer for me, so I don't think I'll be going down that path.
I will be attempting a Yosemite install following Hennessie2000's guide, and that may have to do for the time-being.
Thanks again.
b

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Dear splifingate
Thanks for your detailed reply. Much appreciated! And timely.
The phrase "albeit much-more slowly" is the killer for me, so I don't think I'll be going down that path.
I will be attempting a Yosemite install following Hennessie2000's guide, and that may have to do for the time-being.
Thanks again.
b

You’re welcome.

TBC, the aforementioned steps are *merely* one way to get the Official .app . . . following H’s guide /after/ you get the .app is the really long part :)

Regards, splifingate

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Hi guys.

Just a quick question. I came across osxhackers.net and I'd really like to install a newer version of Mac OS as I've a MacBook 4,1 running 10.7 Lion.

In your experience, which version should I go for? Meaning, with which version have the MacBooks 4,1 worked best? Or at least, have had the least issues with?

I wish I could go for Sierra but practically at this point I could use any newer version of Mac OS.

Thank you very much for your time.

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
Hi, a newbie here.
I have a Mac Pro 2.1 2x3GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 12GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 1025MB, running OX 10.9.
Would I be able to install 10.10 or the last update 10.10.5?

Thanks.

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
Most certainly. You can also install El Capitan using Pike's bootloader.
Cheers.
Now should I install 10.10.5 using this method
Or should I start with 10.10 and then follow the method in the OP in this thread?
The OP said 10.10.2. Has 10.10.5 been successfully installed following the OPs method?

Cheers.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Now should I install 10.10.5 using this method
Or should I start with 10.10 and then follow the method in the OP in this thread?
The OP said 10.10.2. Has 10.10.5 been successfully installed following the OPs method?
I may have contributed to the actual wording and specific instructions of the document you mention. I don't know if anyone has used it staring with 10.10.5 (I followed that procedure on 10.10 and 10.11 [as I had in previous versions starting with Mountain Lion]), but I don't foresee any problems in using any version of Yosemite or El Capitan. All should be equally valid.

cakey

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2018
I may have contributed to the actual wording and specific instructions of the document you mention. I don't know if anyone has used it staring with 10.10.5 (I followed that procedure on 10.10 and 10.11 [as I had in previous versions starting with Mountain Lion]), but I don't foresee any problems in using any version of Yosemite or El Capitan. All should be equally valid.

Seems I can not install 10.10.5. It tells me I need 10.10 installed first.
There do not seem to be many versions of that online strangely enough.

babooshka_ya_ya

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
WARNING - latest update of El Capitan appears to break Pike’s fix...just installed 10.11.6 which addresses the Meltdown vulnerability & bam, can’t boot anymore. Loaded another startup disk from which I put Pike’s boot.efi file back into place, but it still won’t boot.

Anyone found a way around this? I’m not terribly optimistic tbh...damn Intel

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
WARNING - latest update of El Capitan appears to break Pike’s fix...just installed 10.11.6 which addresses the Meltdown vulnerability & bam, can’t boot anymore. Loaded another startup disk from which I put Pike’s boot.efi file back into place, but it still won’t boot.

Anyone found a way around this? I’m not terribly optimistic tbh...damn Intel
You'll get more answers in the El-Capitan forum where this is being discussed ad nauseam.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1890435/page-152

rosah

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
I'm stuck

I guess the system installed an update, though I had installed the PikeYoseFix (sp?).

The computer won't boot. Shows the dreaded folder with question mark. I created a new bootable Yosemite installer USB using the instructions here: https://www.icloud.com/pages/000MYC...ite_on_a_Mac_Pro_1,1_or_2,1_-_Boot.efi_Method

I hold Option while starting and it gives me the selection screen. I select the USB and the computer starts to boot, shows the black screen with the apple logo (chose the black boot.efi), but then it starts blinking the apple logo and the folder with question mark. I've also tried selecting the "Recovery 10.10.3" and that gives me a blank grey screen and nothing happens.

I'm going to attempt creating the USB a second time, but in case that fails, any ideas?

Rocketman83

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Skaneateles, NY
I'm stuck

I guess the system installed an update, though I had installed the PikeYoseFix (sp?).

The computer won't boot. Shows the dreaded folder with question mark. I created a new bootable Yosemite installer USB using the instructions here: https://www.icloud.com/pages/000MYCYnKrh0JRg1EPDrG6wiQ#Yosemite_on_a_Mac_Pro_1,1_or_2,1_-_Boot.efi_Method

I hold Option while starting and it gives me the selection screen. I select the USB and the computer starts to boot, shows the black screen with the apple logo (chose the black boot.efi), but then it starts blinking the apple logo and the folder with question mark. I've also tried selecting the "Recovery 10.10.3" and that gives me a blank grey screen and nothing happens.

I'm going to attempt creating the USB a second time, but in case that fails, any ideas?
I would try using the grey boot.efi instead. It worked for my Mac Pro 2,1 when the black boot.efi didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.