Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
I want to revive this old thread since my 2015 retina iMac developed this problem probably due to heat?

This gave me headache and since I do not use dark mode I always looked into some pinkish gradient.
Then I stumbled upon a post on iFixit: https://de.ifixit.com/Antworten/Ans...+display?permalink=answer-800015#answer800015

I think that the actual tape around the display might have loosened over time and so I used duct tape to tape over the existing black tape. First I taped over the left and right edge and then the upper and lower.

Unfortunately I have no pictures but it really made a huge difference and the display is now bearable again.
None were needed but it's yet another reason for using Dark Mode; why would anyone want to be looking at a light globe i.e. a white screen is the rough equivalent. That aside this is very useful info. I had recently become convinced that the dripping adhesive etc. theories were debunked so while I won't bother with tape etc. - it should help the re-sale value if I can confidently state that it's not an issue with the LCD.

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
Just in case that it becomes a complete distraction I might go forward with disassembling the whole LCD and cleaning the glass layer like it was shown in the video.

It's just that I completely dislike Dark Mode. I'm a Photoshop user since version 6 and in every programming IDE the first thing I look for is the light mode theme. :-D

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

breakfastdude

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
Just in case that it becomes a complete distraction I might go forward with disassembling the whole LCD and cleaning the glass layer like it was shown in the video.

It's just that I completely dislike Dark Mode. I'm a Photoshop user since version 6 and in every programming IDE the first thing I look for is the light mode theme. :-D
Any updates on your duct tape method? Is it holding up or has it gone worse again?

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
Any updates on your duct tape method? Is it holding up or has it gone worse again?
To be honest - at first I thought it had helped but after a while it seemed to have no effect whatsoever.
What a sham.

After some more research I think the reason for the pink gradient must be degrading glue.
I cannot stand it anymore and now I'm looking into a solution. The iMac is otherwise in great condition, fast and reliably running Sonoma.

Has anyone ever tried to open the screen and remove the glue residue?
I'm kind of hesitant because I'd use IPA - would it damage the layers of the LCD?
There are some videos of people opening the screens and removing the dust collecting between the layers. But as far as I recollect they're only using canned air and microfibre cloths.

As I have the 4 GHz 6700K iMac there must be a relation between prolonged exposure to heat and the pink gradient.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
To be honest - at first I thought it had helped but after a while it seemed to have no effect whatsoever.
What a sham.

After some more research I think the reason for the pink gradient must be degrading glue.
I cannot stand it anymore and now I'm looking into a solution. The iMac is otherwise in great condition, fast and reliably running Sonoma.

I'm kind of hesitant because I'd use IPA - would it damage the layers of the LCD?
There are some videos of people opening the screens and removing the dust collecting between the layers. But as far as I recollect they're only using canned air and microfibre cloths.

As I have the 4 GHz 6700K iMac there must be a relation between prolonged exposure to heat and the pink gradient.

Compare with a 210$ price tag (+90$ shipping) for a new OEM LCD panel, it's really depend on the labour cost where you live to justify the economy of repairing the LCD panel yourself.

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
Compare with a 210$ price tag (+90$ shipping) for a new OEM LCD panel, it's really depend on the labour cost where you live to justify the economy of repairing the LCD panel yourself.

A whole display assembly (used) is way more expensive around where I live. It's more likely to find a complete working iMac for the money.

I was just asking whether somebody had tried to remove the pink colour from the display - if it is even possible without destroying the screen.

breakfastdude

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2024
What a sham.

That's a bummer, was hoping I could do an easy fix for my mine when I open it up next week for swapping the HDD for an SSD. But yeah there was someone who mentioned that the pink hue is from the oxidation of the LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) layer of the LCD, which, if true, would be a lot of work to DIY fix, if at all possible. It also means that this problem will just get worse over time, as the oxidation makes its way towards the centre.

My iMac is the base model with the i5-6500, so should have run cooler than the 6700k version yet it's still plagued with this pink nightmare. Though I did buy it for super cheap, and god knows what the last owner subject this iMac to.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Adding to the choir here - my parents 2017 iMac has blue-purplish around the right edge of the screen. No problems with the computer, outside of it being nearly 6 years old.

I also noticed this on my previous 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro. Curious if this issue persists into the M1/M3 iMac era. Seems like the only real way to avoid this is to own a Mac mini/Studio/Pro and bring your own monitor. When the monitor goes bad, much easier to toss that rather than the whole system.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
A whole display assembly (used) is way more expensive around where I live. It's more likely to find a complete working iMac for the money.

I was just asking whether somebody had tried to remove the pink colour from the display - if it is even possible without destroying the screen.

Without professional tools and devices, it will take you like 6-8 hours to completely detach the LCD layer from the protective glass, and clean-up the adhesive.
Supposed you have done that, the next thing to think of, is what kind of new adhesive you will need to buy to attach them back, and how you are going to remove the tiny bubbles from the liquid adhesive.

300$ to get the new LCD + glass combo delivered to your door, just don't know how much import duty you would have to pay.

Even the professional repair shops would not consider about buying expensive tools and devices just to fix iMac LCD panel issues. They just advice their customers to replace with new OEM parts.

Last edited:

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
$200+ is somehow the amount of money I will not throw into a device that is close to 10 years of service.
I will keep my eye out for a broken device with a known good screen and do the switcheroo.

As much as I love tinkering the potential for further degradation is high.

One thing that crossed my mind is replacing the screen with a non-retina one from a 2012 model (also A1419) but they‘re incompatible it seems.

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
May 19, 2019
Yea , same here noticed on my old iMac , think is 2015. I watch stream do notice those pink hue around every corners. Middle part don't have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.