Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Sounds like you're the type of person that just wants stuff for free
That was not my impression. Rather, that goodwill repairs for known inherent defects would improve the brand's reputation and customer loyalty. I suspect the attitude and expectation of this is different in different countries.

Reactions: omglolbbq

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
That was not my impression. Rather, that goodwill repairs for known inherent defects would improve the brand's reputation and customer loyalty. I suspect the attitude and expectation of this is different in different countries.
I sensed an air of entitlement, but maybe you're right, different countries have different expectations

Reactions: wilberforce

Phonixx

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
I’m having a 2018 MBP and I use two LG ultrafine 4K thunderbolt 3 24 inch Monitors.
I have the Pink colour problem with big sur and hade the same issue older version of Mac in the last two and a half years.

LG Support here in Germany is really bad (in comparison, BMW’s excellent service is an example that LG could use as a raw model).

I have tested this with multiple windows 10 laptops, and it seems that the problem may be related to the Monitors.
Anyway, while I have opened already 7 tickets for the same issue, all have been closed without any resolution.
One time I have sent the one pink overlay monitor to LG (they have a contractor taking care of the repairs)
The package was sent back to me after two weeks, the package was UNOPENED!!!
now they ask me to send it again and pay 30€ for a package I need to buy on the net (they don’t supply any packing materials, even under warranty).

I’ll never buy LG again.

Attachments

• 86725385-AAB0-4284-8AD5-87875E1785FC.jpeg
    86725385-AAB0-4284-8AD5-87875E1785FC.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 446

lloyd83

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
I also have the pink edges around my home 27" late 2015 iMac. We also have it on two more 27" late 2015 iMacs in the studio at work. I've been trying for nearly a year to get Apple to repair mine under Australian Consumer Law to no avail. No reply or response from numerous emails and complaints. ACCC couldn't help.

I decided to involve NSW Fair Trading about a week ago who have me dropping the iMac to Apple tomorrow for repair or replacement at Apple's cost. NSW Fair Trading have been brilliant and got a response within a few days from Apple.

Hopefully the new screen holds out. We have multiple 2017-2020 iMacs in the studio that don't have any signs of this pink glow. However my work 2020 27" iMac did have a yellow glow around the edge that just got replaced under warranty. More subtle than the pink glow, but I'm very sensitive to it now after my experience/ordeal with my own iMac.

Last edited:

Phonixx

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
I have managed to test the screens and got to the conclusion:
The "pink" screen is always the same screen, even when connected as secondary or alone, I am now certain that the problem is the screen itself.
I have sent the monitor to LG for repair under warranty, I got the monitor from the "service partner" of LG.
The monitor now is having much less pink effect to see, but still I'm not happy with that.
After examining the monitor closely, I have noticed that it's not my monitor, different serial number!!!!
UNBELIVABLE...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
I have managed to test the screens and got to the conclusion:
The "pink" screen is always the same screen, even when connected as secondary or alone, I am now certain that the problem is the screen itself.
I have sent the monitor to LG for repair under warranty, I got the monitor from the "service partner" of LG.
The monitor now is having much less pink effect to see, but still I'm not happy with that.
After examining the monitor closely, I have noticed that it's not my monitor, different serial number!!!!
UNBELIVABLE...
Service partner of LG? Did you replace the original LCD?

jazzkid

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2021
Same problem here, only I bought a SECOND-HAND (IN CHILE, LATINOAMERICA) 2015 4k 21.5 imac, I saw it and everything during the day, but at night I noticed that it had pink edges and it was already too late ... personally they don't bother me since They are not aggressive (and with wallpapers is good option to better image,
and in any color other than white it is very very UNPERCEPTIBLE).

a little sad but not much sad.. i think im a little angry,
only my ass is praying that the problem does not get worse ): .......

I attach some photos of my IMAC here:

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0154edit.jpg

IMG_0156.JPG

PD:
Apple, I had a lot of respect in your products, now I prefer that they burn those damn things in hell(and apple company too)
PD2:
Dear Steve Jobs, you never got what you wanted ... on the contrary ... your legacy is stealing money from people, you bastard, You were never revolutionary enough contributing to humanity, making products for extreme consumers and not PEOPLE, you didn't even let someone honest in power.
Buying an imac in the third world is an almost impossible feat for us, your heart and blood boil how hard you work to buy something and this **** happens, disappointed.
I really encourage everyone with this problem and without a solution, the best option is to buy a second-hand external monitor and forget about 4k and 5k, because they are only headaches, hugs.

Cristopher//.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I have recorded the IMAC with flash of my cell phone and I am almost 90% sure that there is a fine red duct tape or something like red glue that causes the reflection of that margenta color, the rest of the screen no trace of this '' red glue '', I'll upload the video in a couple of hours so they can deduce with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjpom

Bligoblu

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
I just bought 4k 21"5 LG Ultrafine and : the same pink is bleeding around the screen :(

I'm from France

Attachments

• tempImageE7AYyR.png
    tempImageE7AYyR.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 289
Last edited:

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
After the hard drive on mine finally crashed, I sent the piece of garbage to Apple for recycling and bought a new one. I was going to hold out for an M1 model, but I needed a new machine to do my work and the 27" M1 never appeared.

TerrorTerror

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Called Apple today to see what is wrong with an iMac I bought used. There is a very distinct pink hue that borders all around the edges.

Bill the technician, has been there for 8 years, and says he has never heard of this problem and there was no issues in Apple's help database. He was extremely rude when I informed him that this has been a problem with many people and could easily be looked up.

Apple continues to disappoint. They used to be such a great company, but now they continue to sell defective products. They should be extremely ashamed that they are ripping off customers.

I then called back again and received instructions from another technician on:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac
How to use safe mode on your Mac

I'll post again if this was successful.

Last edited:

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
Called Apple today to see what is wrong with an iMac I bought used. There is a very distinct pink hue that borders all around the edges.

Bill the technician, has been there for 8 years, and says he has never heard of this problem and there was no issues in Apple's help database. He was extremely rude when I informed him that this has been a problem with many people and could easily be looked up.

Apple continues to disappoint. They used to be such a great company, but now they continue to sell defective products. They should be extremely ashamed that they are ripping off customers.

I then called back again and received instructions from another technician on:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac
How to use safe mode on your Mac

I'll post again if this was successful.
Don’t waste your time. Those won’t work. The screen needs to be replaced. Period. And there’s no use throwing money into an old iMac.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Others have said that it has something to do with aging of an adhesive tape that is used behind the screen. Seems plausible. It's a frustration but the display shouldn't fail on you. If it really is tape, it's not a matter of replacing hardware or performing resets, it's just a matter of replacing the adhesive (although where that involves replacing more parts of the screen, I'm not entirely certain).

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

streetsandtheatres

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2016
I also have the pink edges around my home 27" late 2015 iMac. We also have it on two more 27" late 2015 iMacs in the studio at work. I've been trying for nearly a year to get Apple to repair mine under Australian Consumer Law to no avail. No reply or response from numerous emails and complaints. ACCC couldn't help.

I decided to involve NSW Fair Trading about a week ago who have me dropping the iMac to Apple tomorrow for repair or replacement at Apple's cost. NSW Fair Trading have been brilliant and got a response within a few days from Apple.

Hopefully the new screen holds out. We have multiple 2017-2020 iMacs in the studio that don't have any signs of this pink glow. However my work 2020 27" iMac did have a yellow glow around the edge that just got replaced under warranty. More subtle than the pink glow, but I'm very sensitive to it now after my experience/ordeal with my own iMac.
Did you get the display fixed? I'm also in Australia, so wondering how to go about it. (Also a late 2015 iMac.)

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
This is hilarious. I saw this thread and said this is goofy and probably not real.

Then I literally looked at the edges of my 2015 iMac (at work) AND IT HAS IT!!!!!! haha.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Recently purchased a 2nd hand iMac knowing it had the pink/mauve edge; seller said that repair agent said that it wasn't worth repairing and wouldn't be an issue. Having erased the OS the colourization on an otherwise blank screen goes beyond the edges and is at around an inch deep in the bottom corners; this is consistent with melted adhesive; I always use dark screen options and I recall that it was only visible in the menu bar. iMac is a handsome piece of furniture sitting in near darkness but look forward to getting an OS including the drama of seeing whether the pinkish colour spreads. Apple had a reputation for driving hard negotiations with suppliers and had one staffer just purchasing adhesives; maybe in 2015 they got what they paid for.

pjpom

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Thailand
I have just taken my iMac 21.5 inch late 2015 to have the hard drive replaced by an SSD as it was taking up to nine minutes to load and while the Tech was testing it I was amazed at how much the pink hue has spread.
This thread was started two and a half years ago and only one person in Australia has achieved any satisfaction, solely due to Australian consumer law.
My annoyance is that the screen was replaced along with the motherboard under AppleCare two years ago as part of an attempt to solve a problem which had absolutely nothing to do with the hardware, solved by the next update
Has anyone else pursued this problem further with a good result ?, Apple has seemingly lost the plot.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
I have just taken my iMac 21.5 inch late 2015 to have the hard drive replaced by an SSD as it was taking up to nine minutes to load and while the Tech was testing it I was amazed at how much the pink hue has spread.
This thread was started two and a half years ago and only one person in Australia has achieved any satisfaction, solely due to Australian consumer law.
My annoyance is that the screen was replaced along with the motherboard under AppleCare two years ago as part of an attempt to solve a problem which had absolutely nothing to do with the hardware, solved by the next update
Has anyone else pursued this problem further with a good result ?, Apple has seemingly lost the plot.
In two and a half years on this thread we haven't even had any confirmation as to whether it's just some dye or degradation of the hardware.

Reactions: pjpom

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
In two and a half years on this thread we haven't even had any confirmation as to whether it's just some dye or degradation of the hardware.
I am inclined to believe this is a defect of the LCD panel itself, and not the use of adhesive.

IMAC-M1

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
Same here in southern africa, this week I purchased a late 2015 27inch iMac for a very good price. The company i purchased it from sent me pictures of the iMac, and i didn't even notice the purple fringing on the screen. Only after installing OS Monterey did see the purple fringing. I thought it was part of the monterey seeing that purple is primary color theme of the new OS - I searched the net on how to remove it, as I'm a photography and color is important part of my editing - I then found this thread. Luckily the company has a 6 month guarantee on the I-Mac so now i need to find out if they would be willing to have it repaired for me or i must consider returning the product, but its price was good, even cheaper than some older models on the market - its a difficult choice as i love the 5k screen.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Same here in southern africa, this week I purchased a late 2015 27inch iMac for a very good price. The company i purchased it from sent me pictures of the iMac, and i didn't even notice the purple fringing on the screen. Only after installing OS Monterey did see the purple fringing. I thought it was part of the monterey seeing that purple is primary color theme of the new OS - I searched the net on how to remove it, as I'm a photography and color is important part of my editing - I then found this thread. Luckily the company has a 6 month guarantee on the I-Mac so now i need to find out if they would be willing to have it repaired for me or i must consider returning the product, but its price was good, even cheaper than some older models on the market - its a difficult choice as i love the 5k screen.
Fortunately with most photo-editing software the photo is near the middle of the screen.
If you are considering returning it, later 5k iMacs have better gamut (P3). This is generally not a very noticeable difference, but I have noticed the improvement for saturated reds.

SpaceForceYeah

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
Hey all, I'm not a Mac owner, but I had to chime in because I am experiencing the same thing with my Eizo CS2420 monitor. Pink edges all around, just like the photos on here. It has a 5-yr warranty, but of course, Eizo says that doesn't cover color uniformity. They want me to pay $600+ for a new panel, and say it's "normal deterioration" for an LCD. Funny how this has never happened to any other monitor I've owned, and they were all MUCH cheaper. Grrrrrrr!

So, I guess there is no solution to this issue, since the manufacturers don't seem to care?

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
"They want me to pay $600+ for a new panel..." did they indicate that the deterioration would rapidly proceed; do you have the screen on 24/7?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.