Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I have the same issue on my iMac 5k (late 2015) .. contacted a local authorised repair shop and they asked for €700 because my machine was out of warranty. They said that this is a problem that is not so common thus no free repair program from Apple.
Not so common, huh! I don't think so. :(

I'm starting to get more and more frustrated with Apple lately.

And yeah.. I've switched to an Android phone, stupid Apple.

Ring Apple Care, show them evidence, i had a 21" iMac screen replaced once that was 2 years out of warranty. Be nice.

Isaia P

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Apple replied: "In the grand scheme of things, that is still a very small amount of users. Millions of these machines were sold and if it was a wide spread issue Apple would have addressed it with a service program. Sorry you are experiencing the issue, however as directed you should take it to your local AASP to be professionally diagnosed".
Have you managed to get it replaced? I have the same iMac

itsjustdibella

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2018
Rochester, NY
Yup count me in 2015 4k display. It's my dad's computer that has been passed to my mom after he just passed. Yet this crap is annoying AF!! I reset PRAM and not a thing....anyone have any resolution??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,404
Reactions: BluefinTuna

brianloveco

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
Same situation. Got it replaced under Apple care just before it expired and now I have the same problem, with the new screen, again. Now of course, Apple wants nothing to do with it without a hefty fee for another screen. Sad for a company that used to be reliable.

jan_berlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
27" 5K iMac (late 2015) - absolutely the same here:
Pronounced pink edges around the screen. 1,5 years out of Apple Care.
This is a nightmare.

So far, Apple telephone support has been absolutely (sorry) useless - made me reboot the iMac several times as if this was a software defect. Then they suggested I should take it to a local service provider, but we all know this will probably result in a $900 repair bill.

Any suggestions / ideas on how to proceed?

myLastMacDying

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2020
I am in the same boat as you all with my 27" 5K iMac (2015). A semi-romantic pink gradient edge around my screen, like a cheap Valentine-card-template. A few months ago I noticed a strong inrcrease of 'ghosting'; maybe that has a relation with this problem.
I registered here to follow this tread for starters. Maybe a solution will rise up here, but I have my doubts. fingers crossed.

(Mind you, I am starting to think Apple builds something inside that shortens the lifespan to about five years, and makes you want to buy new products. The whole motherboard of my first (1008) MacPro died in 2014 (beyond repair), my beautiful 2012 15" Macbook which I upgraded with a big SSD went black in 2017 (too costly to repair for what it was worth), and now I've got this. Well, I'm all in for Windows from now on)

jan_berlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
"Semi-romantic pink gradient edge" - sounds ever so much nicer than "my screen is slowly decomposing".
I'll probably make the trip to a local Apple Authorized Service Provider this week and see, whether (and for how much not-quite rose-tinted money) they can do any repair.
I'll keep y'all posted.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
HI all!i am the OP and I wanted to share how my issue was resolved very swiftly.

i contacted apple through twitter explaining the pink edges problem and my iMac was 8 months out of 3 year warranty . i explained that the product must last a reasonable amount of time by law and that 3.8 years was not reasonable. they suggested i take it into my local authorised apple service centre to start the process.i did this and the very nice guy ran tests on the screen. after 15 mins he said the panel was "bad"
whites and great show pink edges but no other clolurs. thats all i needed to go back to apple and claim that i had a bad panel from day one.
they didn't argue and said they can replace the screen free under 'consumer law' I am in UK btw.they worked really hard to get it booked in same day and then next day it had been replaced ...

very happy with the apple service and really happy with Be Valued apple service centre sussex! they were super fast at fixing it and getting it back to me.

all in all a very happy story :)
i would suggest anyone with this problem do the same as me and even if its out of warranty, use consumer law which i believe might be up to 6 years after purchase?

I've got the same issue with the pink edge on a 2015 iMac 27'' I've just send a tweet - thanks for the suggestion!

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Hi, i have late 2015 27”, it is 3 years old, i have barely used it on 100% cpu and fan spinning, so no overheating.
I see some small portion of pink tint on the edges when i use fullscreen with white or light colored windows.
I would like to ask, how fast this issue will extend and become worst?
My local authorized repair center quoted me for 700€ to replace the screen (dont know the vendor) and they are not sure how long official parts will be available....

Christopher David Jackson

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
Yep, same problem here, 2015 5k 27'. I've also seen an increase in the Ghosting.

This clearly seems to be a design defect, but Apple don't have to do anything to fix as they're all out of Apple Care. Any updates you guys get please let me know.

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
By the way I have a 27 inch and 22 inch LG ultrafine monitor and they both have the pink around the edges.

buothz

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
same problem on my 2015 Imac 27 :( i've noticed also that ALL the screen tends to magenta but I've fixed with accessibility > monitor changing the > color filters and i've added a custom filter

Problem on the edges can be fixed ONLY changing the screen :(

akbıyık

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2015
+1 with pink edges and ghosting on 27" 5k iMac (2015), bought on Jan 2016. I first realized the ghosting in March 2019, since then it's gotten worse.

There is no Apple Care program in my country and so I couldn't buy one. They will probably charge me tons of money to repair. My top-spec iMac is working great except this frustrating issue, but I won't pay for it to get repaired. It seems to be a common design flaw for the 2015 iMacs, hoping for a repair program in the future.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Wondering if the 2020 macs have same screen, so possible problem in 3 years after purchase as well?

Whendy Oktaviandy

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2020
Haalp! the nightmare begun just now... purlish pink magenta 2cm cloud around the edge of my imac 5k 27” late 2015 display...

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Yes! Same here - Late 2015 5K screen started showing this effect. But since I don’t run things full screen nor do I snap to the edges, I didn’t notice it till I changed my background. I just ended up selling the iMac. Pointed it out to the new owner, but he couldn‘t see it. ?

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
My late 2015 27" screen has been replaced twice now for pink edge under apple care warranty, 2nd time in February, going ok so far.

cristthian

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Same problem here, iMac 21.5 4k late 2015. No answer from Apple, leave the machine in authorised assistence.

Greetings from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro.

Any news or anyhelp keep us update.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
This happen with my Dell UP2715K 5k monitor as well.
And I have replace it with Dell warranty several time (3 times).
It comes perfectly but after 6 month of usage pink edge become.
So I think it is general panel problem.

my fix is to use red/orange based wall paper and it can reduce the intensity of bleed.

PS. I go to Apple store and found that their 2019 iMac and iMac Pro still have pink edge too.
Yep, I think the issue is indeed with these 2015 5K panels. We have a bunch of these Dell UP2715K 5k monitors at work and they all now have pretty significant pink edges after a few years of use. Every single one of them.

pjpom

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Thailand
Late 2015 21 inch 4K. Mid 2018 had a playback problem with iTunes movies, luckily had AppleCare so contacted Apple support and then started the problems. I live in Thailand and at the time had no Apple Store, only approved resellers or repairers. Apple asked me to take it into a local approved reseller who sent it to Bangkok. It was returned two weeks later with a new display, no charge as under warranty. Drove home, plugged it in exactly as sent, phoned Apple, told to take it back and very sorry for inconvenience. Another two weeks and went to collect it, this time plugged it in at the resellers, paperwork said new motherboard fitted, switch on and still the same problem. I had sent a letter, in Thai language telling them which movies were problems and they just ignored it. Another phone call, the Lady who was looking after the case said she was requesting a replacement but please allow them to check it for the third time , sent to Bangkok again but nothing done, then the email saying nothing else they can do but wait for next update. The update solved the problem and so I thought good, new display, new motherboard and now I have the pink edge screen !!!!!
I will be following this thread as I have very little hope of getting anything done here, maybe a trip to Bangkok will be necessary, we'll see.
Note, first Apple was a Mac 1986, lasted for ages, now have Mac Air, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, iPod, iPhone, I must be mad !.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.