Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceForceYeah

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2022
They didn't say if it would keep progressing or not. Nope, I don't think it's been used excessively. I leave my PC on a lot, but either the screen saver comes up, or I power off the monitor manually when not in use. I found a review on Amazon where the guy had the same problem as me:

At any rate, Eizo was jacking me around and doing all they could to get out of a warranty claim. The support guy was clueless, telling me stupid crap like "disable windows night mode", which I don't even use. I could see I was getting nowhere, so I finally gave them a piece of my mind. Never buying Eizo again. They may make good equipment, but their customer service sucks big time. Hopefully, you all have better luck dealing with Apple or whoever else made your screen.

omglolbbq

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Others have said that it has something to do with aging of an adhesive tape that is used behind the screen. Seems plausible. It's a frustration but the display shouldn't fail on you. If it really is tape, it's not a matter of replacing hardware or performing resets, it's just a matter of replacing the adhesive (although where that involves replacing more parts of the screen, I'm not entirely certain).
The screen is likely delaminating. And the pink is caused by oxidation of the LOCA. See an example of how the screen is laminated on an Apple Watch at 8:19 here:

Sadly, unless you want to invest in a lot of clean room gear and equipment to get a good result on such a large display the only option is to replace the display. It seems from my research that any models AFTER late 2015 should be fine.

Mr Abbas

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2022
I've read this whole thread from page 1.

It looks like only 1 person has had their iMac successfully repaired.

I am going to call Apple tomorrow and threaten them with the UK Consumer Law Rights 2015.

***Claim Period - England and Wales: 6 years from date of delivery***

I may be in luck — but I'll update this thread to let everyone know what happens.

(2015 iMac 27" Symptoms: RED hue around all edges when turned on/off; noticeably visible on a white screen).

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California

I am going to call Apple tomorrow and threaten them with the UK Consumer Law Rights 2015.

I may be in luck — but I'll update this thread to let everyone know what happens.

(2015 iMac 27" Symptoms: RED hue around all edges when turned on/off; noticeably visible on a white screen).
Good luck. The hard drive on mine crashed and I had already vowed not to spend another dime repairing it. I threw it out the window. Ok, just kidding. I pulled out the RAM I installed and sent it to Apple for recycling. Then I bought a new one.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022

I had Apple care and mine was replaced twice with it, we had a 21" once that was a few years out of warranty and screen died, I was ringing about something else and mentioned it, they replaced it for free.

lloyd83

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Did you get the display fixed? I'm also in Australia, so wondering how to go about it. (Also a late 2015 iMac.)
I did get it fixed by Apple at their cost. We also had 2 repaired at my work that were the same year, same issue. Every late 2015 27" iMac screen I've seen to date has this exact same problem. Threatened Apple with NSW Fair Trading again using my personal case to reference and they then replaced those screens free of charge too. The screens come with a 2 year warranty I think, so covered if they start to go again. But that's 3 that have been replaced by Apple at their cost, so there's precedence for anyone else in Australia that have this issue.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I did get it fixed by Apple at their cost. We also had 2 repaired at my work that were the same year, same issue. Every late 2015 27" iMac screen I've seen to date has this exact same problem. Threatened Apple with NSW Fair Trading again using my personal case to reference and they then replaced those screens free of charge too. The screens come with a 2 year warranty I think, so covered if they start to go again. But that's 3 that have been replaced by Apple at their cost, so there's precedence for anyone else in Australia that have this issue.
I had mine replaced twice before I sold it last year, 1 year apart, Apple tech came to my house, drove from Newcastle to Coffs.
Had apple care.
Was told they wouldn’t replace it again.

Tonion

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2023
Im also just signing up to add my disappointed +1 to this.

I just bought a late 2015 21.5" 4K iMac second hand.

Whats strange is, he showed me it before i bought it and i didnt notice any pink edges, Im pretty sure I would have as he had it in light mode and showed me the intial log in and main screens and i think i would have seen it.

I then took the screen off myself, to install an SSD, and removed the adhesives and applied new ones as part of the process, and on starting it up with a fresh Mojave install, have found the pink screen issue from very first use, not at all happy, its particularly bad in the top right corner even with dark mode on, quite noticeable.

Wonder if anyone ever found any evidence for the adhesive based theory, what might have caused the pinkness in the first place, is it a reaction to solvents in the adhesive? And whether the only remedy really is getting a new one fitted at cost (only to have it return?!)

Very annoying!

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
Wonder if anyone ever found any evidence for the adhesive based theory, what might have caused the pinkness in the first place, is it a reaction to solvents in the adhesive? And whether the only remedy really is getting a new one fitted at cost (only to have it return?!)
Honestly unsure. I personally am not a believer that’s the issue and think it’s simply an issue within the LCD itself. It wouldn’t be the first time iMacs have had screen defects. Just look at image retention issues (on these same years), and on older models like the 2009-11 with line artifacts.

I have had the glass replaced on these 2015-2017 models with no success on reducing the pink edges.

Seems the only solution is a full LCD replacement

Tonion

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2023
Yeah I dont doubt thats the only fix. But I do think there may be something in the theory that the process of removing and replacing the display that might contribute to the problem, at least my display seems to have developed it imnmediately after being removed and replaced. I wonder whether there is a possible connection issue or simply exposing some components to something or other, the moisture in the air even, i dont know.

suppose ill have to learn to live with my new pink screen, a replacement would cost more than I paid for the machine! :(

• Sad
Reactions: TwoH

nullpointerninja

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2023
I have the same issue with my 2017 27" iMac, pink edges in both sides and also at the bottom.
Since you already opened up your iMac, you could try the method shown in this video which is mostly for the dust problem but might also take care of pink edges:

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
I have the same issue with my 2017 27" iMac, pink edges in both sides and also at the bottom.
Since you already opened up your iMac, you could try the method shown in this video which is mostly for the dust problem but might also take care of pink edges:
Sadly that cleaning method doesn't do anything for the pinking issue

• Sad
Reactions: nullpointerninja

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Sadly that cleaning method doesn't do anything for the pinking issue

That video is helpful for the first 30% of the job to repair the pinky edge.
The remaining 70% is to completely remove ther layers of the LCD panel, examine the cause of the discolored LED strip, replace it or fix it (cumbersome) and assemble all of them back to the LCD panel.
It's fixable, but not easy.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
That video is helpful for the first 30% of the job to repair the pinky edge.
The remaining 70% is to completely remove ther layers of the LCD panel, examine the cause of the discolored LED strip, replace it or fix it (cumbersome) and assemble all of them back to the LCD panel.
It's fixable, but not easy.
You’re implying it’s an issue that can be cleaned/having the backlight layers replaced?

That’s not true, it’s an LCD defect issue - the backlight plays no part in it

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

You may be aware, but others may not: UK consumer law applies to the SELLER, not the manufacturer. So if not purchased directly from Apple (at an Apple Store or online), your CL claim goes to the reseller where it was bought.

infinitegrid

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2020
My iMac has this red border thing now :(. It’s the 2020 iMac.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 92

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
hi I noticed my 2015 iMac has got pink edges all way round the screen. i didn't expect this after just over 3 years of use.

anyone else had an issue with pink screen ? any idea what may have caused it ? would it be a faulty panel over time ?

i did a search for pink screens but could find any threads.
thanks for any replies
My last workplace had tons of 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2020 27-inch iMacs with a handful of 2019 ones also in circulation. More than any of the others mentioned, we had THAT same issue with pretty much all of our 2015 iMacs. I suspect it's quite common with that particular model of machine and more so than either the 2014 or 2017 versions.

SammyJoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2023
Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 iMac

It does get worse over time. It wasn't this bad last year. My computer is always on dark mode, so I don't notice it much, but when I'm on white/bright pages or backgrounds you can really see it.

So it's not just 2015 iMacs, but 2017s as well. No more iMacs for me. Just bought myself a Macbook Pro M2 14" - I just hope this problem doesn't persist in their Macbook Pros.

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_132741.jpg
    IMG_20231021_132741.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
I want to revive this old thread since my 2015 retina iMac developed this problem probably due to heat?

This gave me headache and since I do not use dark mode I always looked into some pinkish gradient.
Then I stumbled upon a post on iFixit: https://de.ifixit.com/Antworten/Ans...+display?permalink=answer-800015#answer800015

I think that the actual tape around the display might have loosened over time and so I used duct tape to tape over the existing black tape. First I taped over the left and right edge and then the upper and lower.

Unfortunately I have no pictures but it really made a huge difference and the display is now bearable again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.