Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgrey.james

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
I guess we'll send this issue to  and the more people e=flooding their teams with this issue, the more chance that we''ll be responded and have it fixed cause the moment you see that pink hues, the more you can unsee it. It's just annoying as f.... when working in words or in white screen. It feels like im using a 2008 desktop with 2020 price.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Been having lots of slowdown issues (ethernet can't run at a 1g; beachballing and stalls, etc even after upgrading RAM to 32g) ever since I installed Catalina and just found this post to add that my late 2015 iMac pruchased in January 2016 also has the magenta ring.

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
I too noticed the pink edges (top, bottom, both sides) some months back. Nothing I can do as it is out of warranty. But as is the case with the silly delimitation of MacBook Pro displays, even if you get the screen replaced, the problem eventually returns. Interesting there's no step-by-step DIY fix. (Videos presented at the beginning of this thread pertain to something other than an iMac, therefore those steps are not specific to fixing an iMac and I personally would not follow them.)

The question now is, do the newest iMacs have the same problem? I only see folks with the late 2015 5K iMac talking about the problem in this thread, which implies newer iMacs may not have the problem. But is it true or not?

Reactions: BluefinTuna

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I have a late 2014 and it's happening to me.. funny, I only see the discoloration on the sides and bottom - not the top

UPDATE: it should be noted that my pink/purple edges issue can sometimes change to white

Last edited:

akers1010

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
I have the same issue with my iMac 2015 27". Contacted Apple and they made me go through a stupid routine that had nothing to do with the display. Then I insisted that the issue is with the panel and not the system he asked me to go to an Apple shop and to expect to pay for the repair. I am not sure if it is worth it because many people here said that the replacements are prone to have the same issue as well. I ended up reporting this to apple https://www.apple.com/feedback/imac.html
It seems it is a very common issue.

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
It seems it is a very common issue.

Apple contends it is "rare" of course, but is it? Are we in this thread the ONLY people who have the problem? Or does it occur on all 2014-2015 5K iMac models in time? AND, does it also happen on the newest iMacs released this year in 2020? It would seem logical it might since a 5K display is a 5K display. I read some suggest it is red glue around the frame that causes it, but is that glue still used on modern iMacs?

Why ask these questions? Because it's silly to buy a new iMac if it will have the same problem!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Yep, I think the issue is indeed with these 2015 5K panels. We have a bunch of these Dell UP2715K 5k monitors at work and they all now have pretty significant pink edges after a few years of use. Every single one of them.
Weird ... I have three of these monitors and no pink edges that I can see. But one of them has the Harmon Kardon labeling on it and is the one developing bubbles under the screen at the edges ... way worse. At least it’s only one of them.

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
Weird ... I have three of these monitors and no pink edges...

You are talking about a dedicated "monitor" not an iMac. It doesn't matter if the panel is the same. What matters is everything that goes around the panel. As such, we need to hear from more iMac 5K owners to determine if it happens on every 5K iMac over time, or as Apple contends, only on a rare select few.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
You are talking about a dedicated "monitor" not an iMac. It doesn't matter if the panel is the same. What matters is everything that goes around the panel. As such, we need to hear from more iMac 5K owners to determine if it happens on every 5K iMac over time, or as Apple contends, only on a rare select few.
It matters to me and the person who I replied to. Whether or not you care is irrelevant.

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
It matters to me and the person who I replied to. Whether or not you care is irrelevant.
I apologize if I sounded harsh in my previous post, but that was not my intention. I replied in accordance with the title of this thread. And since the title of the thread brings people to this thread, I try to post as closely as possible to the title of the thread. Therefore, what is perhaps most relevant to most people in this thread is how the iMac is constructed in that such information may shed light on the core problem.

Your post is very relevant though insofar as it offers further proof of the point I made previously. Your case seems to show that dedicated monitors do NOT have the problem, illustrating that it is the construction of the iMac that is the root problem, rather than the LCD itself.

The still unanswered question is whether this pink edge problem affects only 2014-2015 iMacs, or if it affects newer models too. I would suspect it affects new models to this very day.

Patrick Alessi

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Hi. I have bought two used LG Ultrafine 5k displays from 2017 (Now is Fall 2020). The first was ok - very light clouding), but the second one has very clear pink edges.
6EDF937B-CD87-41CC-AEA3-8E2CDA5DB5B6.jpeg

Lucky for me, the seller accepted to take it back. Sadly it is about 8 months out of warranty, but I will encourage the seller to contact apple and get it fixed.

I think the panel used in LG ULTRAFINE 5k is identical to the one used in imac 5k.

I guess one should allways set a reminder to check and document any product 1-3 months BEFORE the warranty ends.

Attachments

• 9CE618BB-959B-4BFE-AC3D-C2D2E1C92223.jpeg
    9CE618BB-959B-4BFE-AC3D-C2D2E1C92223.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 335

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
I have bought two used LG Ultrafine 5k displays from 2017 (Now is Fall 2020). The first was ok - very light clouding), but the second one has very clear pink edges.

Well, well, well! That seems to indicate it could be the panel and not the design/implementation of the panel inside an iMac! Hmmm. Earlier in this thread, this post suggested that the pink around the edges could be the result of "red glue" being used. I therefore am led to wonder if the same silly red glue is used in the LG monitors too. If not, then such would indicate the pink to be a panel issue. But if the LG 5K displays also use the red glue, then such indicates that glue is probably the culprit.

pjpom

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Thailand
An update on my 21 inch 2015 4K iMac pink edges. I was cleaning my screen with the iMac turned off and used a small torch at an angle to find any spots I missed ,when I pointed it at the left edge I have a bright red vertical line approx 2mm wide from top to bottom . The line also runs horizontally for approx 55mm from the top left corner. no sign of line anywhere else. The pink hue is all around the screen though I can't see the red line, maybe the earlier answer concerning red glue might be possible ?. I will try and post photo later when I get a good one...

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
There should be a class action lawsuit for this issue. I literally spent 2+ months giving my iMac to Apple and having them return it to me claiming that there was nothing wrong with it. Eventually they replaced the screen several times, logic board a few times, and the metal back (plug area) of the iMac. Mine had the pink edges edges and ghosting. Apple will deny wrongdoing but keep at it! My unit finally got fixed under warranty but they don’t make it easy. Really hoping someone will sue Apple for this issue so that people don’t suffer like I did trying to get it repaired under warranty.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
There should be a class action lawsuit for this issue. I literally spent 2+ months giving my iMac to Apple and having them return it to me claiming that there was nothing wrong with it. Eventually they replaced the screen several times, logic board a few times, and the metal back (plug area) of the iMac. Mine had the pink edges edges and ghosting. Apple will deny wrongdoing but keep at it! My unit finally got fixed under warranty but they don’t make it easy. Really hoping someone will sue Apple for this issue so that people don’t suffer like I did trying to get it repaired under warranty.
How on earth is your 2015 iMac still under warranty?

BluefinTuna

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2019
How on earth is your 2015 iMac still under warranty?
This was in early 2019. It was originally purchased in the spring of 2016. So the warranty ended in the spring of 2019. I’m still angry about what I had to go through to get the warranty honored. Apple seems to deny that manufacturing defects exist and drag their feet on repairs as much as humanely possible.

They bet that you’ll be worn out from having to speak with multiple technicians and tired of driving to the Apple store. I was about to sue them in small claims court when they finally authorized any type of repair necessary just to get me to leave them alone. After that, no issues. It’s currently sitting on my desk humming along nicely.

Reactions: hoodafoo and petsk

brainkilla

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2013
I’ve just noticed this issue on my 2015 5K iMac... slight pinkish discoloration along the screen edges. My display also has dust buildup issues and slight image retention issues (which usually go away after screensaver kicks in). What drives me mad the most is the fact I’d had AppleCare that ended in summer 2019, but since dust buildup had occurred early in the iMac‘s life cycle, I was waiting to near the end of the warranty and replace the screen then... however I didn’t get around to taking it for service in time, so I’m now stuck with a screen with multiple defects. Of course, they are not severe and I can live with the display as it is, but it does leave much to be desired.

Last edited:
Reactions: dor2201

pjpom

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Thailand
Photos showing red line with iMac turned off, see previous post

Attachments

• ACE76C61-C29D-4754-A5E7-22CFB2314370.jpeg
    ACE76C61-C29D-4754-A5E7-22CFB2314370.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 332
  • BE5FD20F-FCA2-4DB9-8FFA-3F0275928285.jpeg
    BE5FD20F-FCA2-4DB9-8FFA-3F0275928285.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: infinitegrid

KasperC

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
My iMac 27" 5K late 2015 has pink / magenta edges too. Last year I spent spent 675 Euros on having Apple Service provider change the logic Board because this 3500 Euro machine suddenly crashed several times a day.

I've had many Screens in my life, but I have never experienced this problem before. No have I ever seen this problem at any people I know, but I don't know anyone with an iMac, so I guess that's why.

Premium brands should help their customers with unacceptable quality problems regardless of official guarantees.

Miele once fixed my 6 year old washing machine because such a things should not happen on a Miele.

BMW once fixed my engine outside the guarantee period with the same argument. That should not break on a BMW.

Mercedes did it last year on my car seats with the very same argument.

I guess this is how the germans treats their customers and protect their brand reputation. I always buy Miele and never even consider another brand. I loved my iMac...before it turned pink.

IMG_4550.jpeg

Reactions: omglolbbq

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
BMW once fixed my engine outside the guarantee period with the same argument. That should not break on a BMW.
Although I commiserate with your experience with the iMac screen (as I had a similar experience: image retention at the edges), my experience with BMW is definitely not the same as yours. I too have a BMW (135i). My dealership would roar with laughter at the suggestion they fix something for free beyond the warranty period, unless it was a recall item.

BMWs are complex machines and are one of the least reliable cars: if you bought a BMW because it "should not break" you bought the wrong car. I bought a BMW for the performance, and knew going into it to expect expensive maintenance and repairs.

KasperC

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Although I commiserate with your experience with the iMac screen (as I had a similar experience: image retention at the edges), my experience with BMW is definitely not the same as yours. I too have a BMW (135i). My dealership would roar with laughter at the suggestion they fix something for free beyond the warranty period, unless it was a recall item.

BMWs are complex machines and are one of the least reliable cars: if you bought a BMW because it "should not break" you bought the wrong car. I bought a BMW for the performance, and knew going into it to expect expensive maintenance and repairs.
Sorry to hear that with your BMW. I live in Denmark and perhaps it's different here. But naturally, things can break and manufactures cannot fix everything for free, but my point is that there should be certain things a premium brand must accept and should help their customers with - also to serve their own interest protecting the brand from eroding.

This screen defect appears to be a problem many customers suffer from, but hardly so many that Apple will go bankrupt if they should fix it.

The official Service partner of Apple charges 1100 Euro for a new screen. Then the iMac would have cost me over 1700 euro in repair costs. That's grotesque for a stationary computer that has be placed on the same desk since it was purchased.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
My iMac 27" 5K late 2015 has pink / magenta edges too. Last year I spent spent 675 Euros on having Apple Service provider change the logic Board because this 3500 Euro machine suddenly crashed several times a day.

I've had many Screens in my life, but I have never experienced this problem before. No have I ever seen this problem at any people I know, but I don't know anyone with an iMac, so I guess that's why.

Premium brands should help their customers with unacceptable quality problems regardless of official guarantees.

Miele once fixed my 6 year old washing machine because such a things should not happen on a Miele.

Mercedes did it last year on my car seats with the very same argument.

I guess this is how the germans treats their customers and protect their brand reputation. I always buy Miele and never even consider another brand. I loved my iMac...before it turned pink.

View attachment 1737551
Sounds like you're the type of person that just wants stuff for free

KasperC

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
Sounds like you're the type of person that just wants stuff for free
I run my own business that way too. I have premium products with premium prices but know that it comes with a price. I must serve my customers like premium customers.

If I buy a cheap product and it does not last, then I only have myself to blame. If I buy an expensive premium product that does not last, then I have the privilege to blame the producer. I have paid more than enough for that right in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.