Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Yes, 10.14.3 was released yesterday (not beta). I installed it.
Sorry, you are correct. It JUST now showed up in my updates.
Edit: But to expand, I have not had the issue since I shifted to a USBC/TB to DP cable. Doesn't mean that fixed it since it was an occasional occurrence for me when I was using HDMI to DVI cable.
I have not installed 10.14.3 on the mini yet.

Last edited:

wave-forms

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I am experiencing the same static/snow problem with my new 2018 Mac mini, but what triggers it seems to be just slightly different — for me it happens when the mini is asleep and the input on the (LG) monitor is changed over from a different input to the HDMI input the mini is on. Unfortunately for me, I switch between both HDMI inputs regularly.

I've also experienced a similar black screen for about 20 seconds also through the same HDMI cable — for me, my monitor says "No Signal" for those 20 seconds.

To be clear, I haven't experienced these problems from just simply the Mac mini going to sleep and then waking up. Although, I haven't had it for too long, so I'm testing this more thoroughly now, going to let the computer sleep for quite awhile and then come back and check.

Am I misunderstanding, or does the problem not persist even with a USB-C to DP cable, just with a black screen rather than the snow? Also, is it a USB-C to Displayport or specifically Thunderbolt 3 to DP? (or does it matter)?

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Try having just a single monitor connected via HDMI and see if it still happens. That would be a useful data point. Also try a different monitor completely to see if it's related specifically to how the Samsung is handling the HDMI signal from the Mac Mini.
I got my '18 mini yesterday and had a 1080p monitor connected to HDMI and experienced the same thing as the OP. When I connect the mini to the 4K tv via HDMI as well, I haven't experienced any 'snow, after waking from sleep.

RadHaz

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2002
I've had the same thing as OP on my 2012 mini, using an Asus VG248 1080 monitor on HDMI. Bought a 2018 mini, same thing.
Yes, I've tried different cables.

Last edited:

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
My impression after posting in this thread and reading all the responses is that HDMI seems to be the main culprit. I picked up a USBC/TB to DP cable from Amazon and have not had the issue recur. I would suggest that those folks that have had this issue using HDMI try using the USBC/TB ports with a new cable and see if the issue resolves itself.

Kungstu22

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2019
My impression after posting in this thread and reading all the responses is that HDMI seems to be the main culprit. I picked up a USBC/TB to DP cable from Amazon and have not had the issue recur. I would suggest that those folks that have had this issue using HDMI try using the USBC/TB ports with a new cable and see if the issue resolves itself.

Interesting: The static "blinks" on and off to a black screen, then back to static, about every 20 seconds or so. I let it do that for about 5 minutes and it finally resolved itself--back to the desktop. Crazy, right?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have a samsung 4k 40” monitor with built in switcher box for my other computers to share the monitor. I’ve not had any issues for 2 months. It is connected via amazon basics hdmi2 cable. I did turn off computer sleep but monitor sleeps is on.

flowave

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
I also have this issue on my Mini 2018 but it doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen when it wakes up from a sleep. I only have 1 monitor HDMI to HDMI. I also had to unplug the hdmi to get the screen back.

I did not have any issues with my previous late 2013 rMBP, so it is definitely the mac mini.
The monitor is Benq BL3200, so I think it is some signal issue between some monitor brands.

I use all four usb-c ports, so I hope Apple fix this issue with HDMI.

Last edited:

OldRedLion

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
I also have this issue with my Mac mini 2018 connected to a Dell P2715Q monitor. Various cables tried, now using USB-C >DP, issue still there: usually shows up after a few days, then can't wake without rebooting. Looking forward to the OP's next update on his continuing battle with Apple service. What's the best way to make sure Apple realise this is a fairly widespread issue?

vincentsimpson

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2019
New York
I'm having the static/snow screen display issue after awakening from sleep on my 2018 Mac mini. By static/snow, I mean the monitor display looks like the pattern an old TV using an antenna would display if it lost its signal. I returned my first 2018 mac mini because of this issue and the replacement 2018 Mac mini has the same issue. What I've learned about this issue is documented below. Apple tech support is not experienced with this issue, so, in the near term, it's up to the community of users to figure this out. Please add any knowledge or experience you have with this issue to this discussion.

My 2018 Mac mini set up:
OS version as of this post: Mojave 10.14.2. The mini is connected to two Samsung C24F390FHN monitors. One monitor is connected via an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the mini and the HDMI port on the monitor. The other monitor is connected to a USB-C port on the mini and the HDMI port on the monitor.
Issue Observations:
  1. The static/snow display issue ONLY occurs when the mini awakes from being in sleep mode for a longer period of time. Clicking the Apple icon in the upper left corner and choosing "Sleep" and then waiting 4 minutes is long enough to cause the issue to appear.
  2. The issue ONLY occurs on the monitor connected to the HDMI port on the mini.
  3. The monitor connected via the USB-C port on the mini does NOT exhibit the snow/static display issue upon awakening from sleep mode.
  4. I isolated the issue to the HDMI port by switching how the two monitors were connected to the mini; either via HDMI or USB-C. Since the issue followed the HDMI port and not a specific monitor, this means either monitor is NOT the source of the issue. This issue is directly tied to the HDMI port on the mini.
  5. The issue fixes itself after less than a minute. The screen switches multiple times between displaying snow/static and a black screen and then eventually fixes itself.
  6. Disconnecting the HDMI cable from the mini or monitor and then reconnecting the HDMI cable also fixes the snow/static issue.
  7. Apple's tech support recommends three standard resets (PRAM, SMC and another acronym I don't recall), which do nothing for this issue. Don't waste your time performing these resets.
  8. Apple's tech support escalation process is ineffective for this issue. The third contact on my support case for this issue resulted in a Genius appointment that was a waste of time. The Genius stated that unless they can replicate the issue, the issue is likely specific to my computing environment. Rather than leave the mini at the genius bar for a few days, I chose to return the mini (it was only a few days old) thinking the issue was likely an anomaly only associated to the particular unit I had. That's not the case since my replacement mini has the exact same issue. My Apple tech support experience gave me the impression that since the 2018 Mac Mini is so new, Apple just doesn't have enough experience with this issue yet. Don't waste your time with a Genius appointment. You may even want to consider holding off on buying a 2018 Mac mini until this issue is figured out.
My next steps to get around this issue include:
  1. Try connecting both monitors via a USB-C port. As in, don't even use the HDMI port on the mini. This requires buying a new cable.
  2. If step 1 above doesn't work, then try using the HDMI port or a USB-C port on the mini to connect to the monitor via the VGA port or whatever other connection is available on the monitor besides the HDMI port. This requires buying a new HDMI to VGA cable or similar cable.
Updates as of 01-16-2019.
Both of my monitors are now connected via USB-C cables. Doing this replaced the snow issue after wake up from sleep with pure black screens being displayed for 20 seconds after awakening from sleep. Yes, there's an annoying 20 second wait EVERY time I awaken the mini from sleep. I also tried using an HDMI to VGA connection for one monitor. This didn't work at all. Don't waste your money trying this. The monitor connected via the HDMI to VGA cable would just constantly blink.

Having been through the Apple tech support process, Apple thinks the issue is a Samsung monitor issue (of course it can't be an Apple product issue...;)). Apple suggested everything from rearranging cables (possible interference) to trying new cables, which I tried. I then contacted Samsung tech support and described the issue, and yes, you guessed it; Samsung says it's an Apple product issue. Getting nowhere slowly. Anyway, I borrowed an LG monitor and.....yes, the same issues exist with the LG brand of monitor. I think the Monitor, Cables and Cable Arrangement can be eliminated as possible causes of the issues. The comments from others left below reporting the same issue using different monitor brands (Acer, LG, HP) adds more data points suggesting that the monitor is NOT the issue. I've reported this information back to Apple tech support and they seem to have gone silent. Hmmm? What's left to check? Perhaps the mini itself? To be continued...dah-dah-daaaaah!

Update 1-23-2019:
Installed OS 10.14.3 with no change. Issue still exists and so does my Groundhog Day-like experience with Apple support. No communication back to me yet again. I guess I have to contact them and start all over again...interesting technique. Less than impressive experience.
[doublepost=1550353974][/doublepost]I'm having this same issue too ! HDMI cable from the Mac mini to my HP Pavilion 32 inch display. Had this issue right out of the box. Occurs after waking from a sleep as well.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
I'm occasionally having the same static issue with my LG 34UC98-W monitor when switching between monitor inputs and back to the Mini via HDMI. I have 3 computers sharing one 34" monitor so I switch often throughout the day. I have a limited amount of HDMI cables so I can't really test swapping out the cable. Unplugging and plugging back in fixes the static every time.

Edit: I was able to swap out with the HDMI cable that came with the monitor. I'll confirm if it makes a difference. I could run TB2 to USB-C but would rather not buy another $50 adapter.

Last edited:

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I definitely had this on my old monitor and didn't matter the HDMI cable. I replaced the monitor, because it was old and starting to flake out, and I haven't see this problem at all with a new monitor (only a few days, but many wakes from sleep).

this may be completely unrelated, but a week or so ago, I checked the Energy Saver setting to "enable power nap" and it seems like that fixed the issue on my old monitor too (but I am not sure about that).

Piribucz

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2019
Same here. I also returned my first 2018 Mac Mini because of the issue and this second one has the same phenomenon. So I kept it. I use Acer monitor with HDMI to DVI adapter. And of course it's not Apple's fault. It's ours, because we paid for it. :) I really hope that they'll fix it with an update in the near future.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
Yeah, the problem is still there for me but it only happens sporadically and isn't something I can reproduce to troubleshoot. It's been about 3 days since my monitor had the static issue.

RedGuest99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Is static screen a same issue as waking up from a sleep takes 20-30 seconds?
Yes, it's the same issue but with different displays on the monitor. The static displayed on the monitor would occur when using the HDMI port on the mini for connecting a monitor. Switching to connecting the monitor via a USB-C port shifted the monitor to displaying a black screen (rather than static/snow) for 20 seconds when awakening from sleep.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
I've connected my LG27UK600 via hdmi to hdmi, when i press any keyboard key after sleep, it turn on, then turn off back with "no signal" message, if i don't touch a keyboard again, display won't wake at all, i have to press the keyboard key again. Do you experience the same issue?

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
Just connected my display via HDMI to HDMI using windows notebook, it doesn't have such issues, omg. So it appears it's mac mini itself.

UPDATE

switched to USB-C > DP cable, issues are gone. It's HDMI software bug 100%, but when Apple would fix it? I think that would take some serious time for them.

Last edited:

herpo

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Just connected my display via HDMI to HDMI using windows notebook, it doesn't have such issues, omg. So it appears it's mac mini itself.

UPDATE

switched to USB-C > DP cable, issues are gone. It's HDMI software bug 100%, but when Apple would fix it? I think that would take some serious time for them.
Did you buy an expensive cable?
And how many seconds from hit spacebar/mouseclick to login/pasword window?
I have HDMI/HDMI on my mini 2018 to Samsung LU32J590 and it takes 7 to 8 seconds.
If USBC ->DP cable gives 3 or 4 seconds I may invest in this Moshi USB‑C-naar-DisplayPort-kabel

Huib

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.