Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have the same issue with a new 2020 Mini and an HP 32s monitor. Usually the colored snow is short lived, today it was there until I intervened. The behaviour of Apple and the Idiot Bar are typical i=of difficult problems. They went on for years not answering the Bluetooth keyboard issues on iMacs, not to mention the unforgivable unchargable mouse they now inflict on their customers.
I would love anew mouse and keyboard. My 20 year old BLACK Dell keyboard and mouse are still there because they are black and USB powered. I’d do bluetooth but I have a MacMini and it isn’t reliable.

fixandinstall

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
Just to chime in, I have the latest M1 Mac Mini, 1 display via the native HDMI port on the Mini and 1 display via USB-C->HDMI dock. The first, directly connected to the mini, has the static problem. Doesn't occur all the time, but about 70% of the time after sleep. Sometimes it fixes itself after a few seconds, but mostly I make it sleep again and immediately rewaking solves the problem 95% of the time (sometimes have to do 1 more cycle). What's extra annoying is that the static is accompanied by a noise over the built in speakers which sounds a lot like heavy wind in a mic, quite annoying actually. I came here looking for a solution and can't believe Apple has neither fixed nor acknowledged the issue.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
I'm on my 2nd M1 Mini and mine has done it a few times. (HDMI) My first one had the sound go out at random and while on phone with tech support it did the sound problem. Apple replaced the M1 mini. New one has not had the sound problem. But the video problem returned only once for the few months I've had it. I bought a new HDMI Cable last month due to just wanting a shorter cable to tidy up from that long,thick cable and have not seen the problem return.

My 2018 mini did the video problem just about everyday. I was so fed-up I traded up thru Apple for the M1 mini. I miss having the ports from the prior one. USB Hub fixed that. Working on the USB C hub next.

Reactions: Martyimac

axu2

macrumors member
May 17, 2021
I have this issue with an M2 Mac Mini and a DVI 1080p monitor connected via an HDMI-DVI cable. I tried two cables.

A temporary workaround is hitting the Esc key so the screen goes black. Then hit any other key to turn it back on.

The permanent solution was getting a USB-C to DVI cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.