Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Okay. I already have seen this on my Mac mini 2018, usbc to egpu, hdmi to hdmi. Sounds like I should pick up a usbc-mini display? Or does a minid to minid work?

also does usb-c to minid support HDR?
I don't know the USB-C specs but the monitor, a Dell U2311H is HD and looks just fine, running 1920 x 1080.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
It seems usbc and displayport have issues. My hdmi 4k doesn’t. I also have computer sleep turned off but do have monitor sleep turned on. No issues with my Samsung 40” 4k monitor.
Same issue here, I thought it was Catalina, perhaps not.

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Its gotten worse with my HP Pavillion 32" after installing 10.15.1
I've submitted feedback per links just above and am now awaiting a support agent via their chat support service. I encourage everyone to also open chats with support as that actually consumes resources when they need physical people to respond...apparently they don't give a crap about our "feedback" any more because their stock price continues to grow

11-12: Awaiting my 4th call from support. This is tedious.

Last edited:

funk_drum

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
New to this site, not new to Mac. I have the same problem. 2018 Mac Mini i7, Catalina 10.15.1. I've tried two different HP monitors and two different HDMI cables. I usually unplug it and plug it back in, I've never waited for it to clear itself.

Edit-
After my computer was sleeping for about an hour I woke it up. I had the pink screen for 10 seconds, then static for 20 seconds, then the display went back to sleep. When I touched the keyboard it woke up normal.

Last edited:

v.i.p.e.r

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2012
Hi,
had a similar issues the last week after the upgrade to Catalina.
My Setup: Dell U2718q connected with HDMI to a 2018 Mac Mini.

After boot, no matter a sleep or normal boot the Monitor kept black.
A Mac reset most of the time helped but nor always. The think I'm wondering about is, that the Mac mini wasn't pinagable via lan after the back screen. So it seems the issue prevented the Mac to boot ...

Now I've connected my USB-C Dock from Amazon (Onshida 7 Port USB-C Hub) and it worked directly ... Still with HDMI.

I even tried a fresh install of MacOS - didn't helped at all ...

best
Tim

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
I have the same issue and always had since I bought the mini in January. Find it completely unbelievable that Apple still did not solve this issue after several macOS updates. What a waste of my time!

Reactions: madrag

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I have the same issue and always had since I bought the mini in January. Find it completely unbelievable that Apple still did not solve this issue after several macOS updates. What a waste of my time!
Yeah, I'm about done, its a daily annoyance. Apple doesn't give a crap about software quality now that they have Apple TV/Music services cranked up. I'm seeing lots of annoying bugs in iOS Safari too: screen rotate hanging or not recognizing turn, webpages getting stuck, not display banners correctly. They had what, 4 releases of Catalina the first month? I'm in software, this tells me they are building "good enough" to ship then fix it later.

Well, I've had enough and am going to fix it later by taking a hard look at Windows 10. My work Dell laptop has been flawless for a year with all the same peripherals and is 1/3 to 1/2 the price. My wife has S10 and loves it, I'm starting to use Google calendar and email more and more.

Its me, not you Apple. You keep doing you.

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Now I'm getting video playback that doesn't work right, it plays at hyper speed, 10 minute video loops in 1 sec....across both Safari, Chrome, using Youtube, CNN, etc. I'm going to box this mini up and take it in, see if they'll give me a new one. Absolutely ridiculous Apple, what has happened to you?

Bill1720

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2020
Just got my refurbished Mac Mini. Snow/static has appeared already. Keep it and put up with it or send it back

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Just got my refurbished Mac Mini. Snow/static has appeared already. Keep it and put up with it or send it back
Send it back. I'm wondering if they've got a faulty part in some batches. They won't fix it until it costs them more than it does us.

nuci

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
Hi, I may have good news for you. I have experienced exactly same issues on my mac.
After some strugling I found that Intel has a "HDMI firware update" that solves this problem.

Only problem is that I didnt bought mac mini this time (although I considered it). I went with NUC device.
I'm quite shocked that not only I saved lot of money for top speced computer, I have actually better working device. Maybe if you load Windows, you can actually upgrade firmware for HDMI. Or at least verify your current version. For more infor see:

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Hi, I may have good news for you. I have experienced exactly same issues on my mac.
After some strugling I found that Intel has a "HDMI firware update" that solves this problem.

Only problem is that I didnt bought mac mini this time (although I considered it). I went with NUC device.
I'm quite shocked that not only I saved lot of money for top speced computer, I have actually better working device. Maybe if you load Windows, you can actually upgrade firmware for HDMI. Or at least verify your current version. For more infor see:
Thanks! Well if Intel has acknowledged it and fixed it via firmware, I'd have to think Apple would follow suit...maybe not. I will look at the NUC next upgrade. I'm looking at moving to the Google ecosystem which is hardware agnostic, I've got too much tied up in Apple software/services

Anakowi

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Australia
Like @aldofern, I've had the HDMI "snow" issue since late 2012 Mac Mini -- and learned to just live with it. The anomaly has no pattern, is intermittent, sometimes doesn't occur for hours. I used to think it was triggered by "display sleep" mode but since Mojave it happens any time and some days several times in the space of minutes. Turning the monitor off then on always fixes the issue until it reoccurs.

Periodically I check to see if someone's found a solution. 7 years is a pretty good innings and I'm ready to get a new Mac Mini but not if the problem still exists - 'cause I'd love to run 3-monitors!

I need to run two monitors. The 2012 Mac Mini has only 2 display ports: Thunderbolt and HDMI. Like others I've tried different monitors and all the various cable connect options including new HDMI cables. My current setup is HDMI out to DVI adaptor into monitor (my favourite monitors do not have HDMI input).

Reading through the various responses here I see a repetition of failed solutions — hopefully someone can confirm if they've actually resolved the issue? For example, the suggestion to enable "power nap" is new to me, so I'm trying that now... and so far OK.

AFAIK the issue is only related to HDMI. I had read somewhere that the "snow" problem occurs because MacOS has some kind of incompatibility with HDMI refresh rates. The following link discusses this (I think — a bit above my tech knowledge though) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6500141

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Like @aldofern, I've had the HDMI "snow" issue since late 2012 Mac Mini -- and learned to just live with it. The anomaly has no pattern, is intermittent, sometimes doesn't occur for hours. I used to think it was triggered by "display sleep" mode but since Mojave it happens any time and some days several times in the space of minutes. Turning the monitor off then on always fixes the issue until it reoccurs.

Periodically I check to see if someone's found a solution. 7 years is a pretty good innings and I'm ready to get a new Mac Mini but not if the problem still exists - 'cause I'd love to run 3-monitors!

I need to run two monitors. The 2012 Mac Mini has only 2 display ports: Thunderbolt and HDMI. Like others I've tried different monitors and all the various cable connect options including new HDMI cables. My current setup is HDMI out to DVI adaptor into monitor (my favourite monitors do not have HDMI input).

Reading through the various responses here I see a repetition of failed solutions — hopefully someone can confirm if they've actually resolved the issue? For example, the suggestion to enable "power nap" is new to me, so I'm trying that now... and so far OK.

AFAIK the issue is only related to HDMI. I had read somewhere that the "snow" problem occurs because MacOS has some kind of incompatibility with HDMI refresh rates. The following link discusses this (I think — a bit above my tech knowledge though) https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6500141
As you have noted, and I posted about this shortly after the 2018 mini was released, it is an HDMI issue. Once I went to the thunderbolt output the issue went away, completely.

aldofern

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
As you have noted, and I posted about this shortly after the 2018 mini was released, it is an HDMI issue. Once I went to the thunderbolt output the issue went away, completely.

Yes I figured out that switching to the thunderbolt output on my 2018 Mac mini fixed the problem for good.

Reactions: Martyimac

Anakowi

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
Australia
It may be coincidental, however no snow since enabling power-nap. I'll leave it run another 24-hours then disable.

[UPDATE 24 May] after testing enable/disable power-nap settings over the past week I can say that enabled causes significantly less "snow". Also waking up the monitor via keyboard rather than mouse/trackpad also makes a difference. Maybe this is because the screen refresh doesn't need to reposition the cursor location — could this be what confuses HDMI?

Last edited:

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
I get snow occasionally - Monitor 1 HDMI from the mini to Display-Port. Monitor 2 is via the eGPU and always wakes okay.

I turn Monitor 1 off and back on and it 'magically' clears.

Power-Nap is always on.

n5yzv

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
Fyi, same thing here. Mac Mini 2018, dual monitor, second set, new cables, all up to date. I never let the system go to sleep. I disabled monitor sleep and turn the monitors off manually. Otherwise, it takes 2-3 minutes to get the HDMI monitor to "work". Now powering the monitors manually, it takes only a min or so. I rarely get snow, but I have gotten it. It can get bad enough, I have to force power off the mac and sometime reset the PRAM. I too contacted apple support. Absolute waste of time other than the fact they did recognize there was a problem. Lately, I turn on the HDMI monitor first, let it sync up, then the USB-C monitor. Seems to do a little better. I am a daily/all day user....so this is a pita.

n5yzv

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I only saw static once and a while, mostly my issue is the screens not sync'ing up in a reasonable amount of time.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
My multi-monitor setup via an eGPU is also slow to wake up the monitors. Not as extreme as minutes, but around 10 seconds until all three are showing a picture. That's noticeable because this action is close to instant in some computer setups (as long as the computer itself isn't sleeping).

PeterWooster

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2021
I have the same issue with a new 2020 Mini and an HP 32s monitor. Usually the colored snow is short lived, today it was there until I intervened. The behaviour of Apple and the Idiot Bar are typical i=of difficult problems. They went on for years not answering the Bluetooth keyboard issues on iMacs, not to mention the unforgivable unchargable mouse they now inflict on their customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.