Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes!!!!! New England is out. I was 1/2 in my prediction(s). (And I still made money.😁)

Thoughts on today’s games:

1.)The Buffalo Bills had every opportunity to win that game, and Allen made _way_ too many mistakes. He’s young, talented and has quick feet, but it wasn’t enough, which showed his lack of maturity in the playoffs.

2.) The Patriots played without enthusiasm the whole game. Tennessee seems like they wanted this win more than the Patriots did, but nonetheless, Tannehill pulled it off. Good for them.

Predictions for tomorrow:

1.) Saints advance over Minnesota.

2.) Eagles advance over Seahawks.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I had no favorite in the Buffalo-Houston game, but that was thrilling as all hell!

And the way the Titans handled the Pats in the last few minutes was nothing short of sweetness. We were expecting a 14-13 victory, but then that Titans interception/touchdown was icing on the cake.

Reactions: D.T.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Last night amid all the announcer talk about whether Brady would retire, return to the Pats or go to another team, my wife said she thought that if Brady retired, maybe Belicheck would also retire.

I told her I really doubt Belicheck would do that. He just doesn't seem that type. But it brought up an interesting notion.

Could you imagine if Brady retired or went to another team...Josh McDaniels took a coaching job somewhere else...and Belicheck retired? That would basically be the Patriots imploding.

We can always hope. ?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Last night amid all the announcer talk about whether Brady would retire, return to the Pats or go to another team, my wife said she thought that if Brady retired, maybe Belicheck would also retire.

I told her I really doubt Belicheck would do that. He just doesn't seem that type. But it brought up an interesting notion.

Could you imagine if Brady retired or went to another team...Josh McDaniels took a coaching job somewhere else...and Belicheck retired? That would basically be the Patriots imploding.

We can always hope. ?

I think if Belicheck retires McDaniels would take over.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Predictions for Saturday:

1.) Buffalo Bills advance over the Houston Texans. [I don’t care if JJ Watt is back or not, he won’t be the deciding factor like some are claiming for this game.]

2.) Tennessee Titans advance over New England Patriots. I think the Titans offense has proven to be undermined/underrated given their ferocity how they’ve played in the latter part of the season.

If the Patriots can play decent defense and Tom Brady is where he needs to be offensively, that would be the only deciding factor if the Titans are not playing on par against N.E.

TBC....Sunday’s predictions following Saturday’s games.

Looks like he was the catalysis for Houston and boy did he light a spark for them. However the game was super sloppy on both sides of the ball.

While I am no Patriot fan, I have to wonder if Tom Brady will be back. At his press conference he was mixing his words with present and past tenses which leads me to believe the thought of calling it a career is there.

Reactions: Thomas Veil

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
...While I am no Patriot fan, I have to wonder if Tom Brady will be back. At his press conference he was mixing his words with present and past tenses which leads me to believe the thought of calling it a career is there.
Did you notice he left the playing field and ducked into a stairwell well ahead of everyone else? Kind of rude considering this might have been his last game in front of Pats fans. But it might have been another indication of his mindset.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
McDaniels would take over.
He's leaving this year, and in all honesty, I don't know why he would want to inherent the Patriots if Belichek leaves. Do you really want to inherent a team that is starting the rebuilding process and you'll be in the shadow of a legend.

I think Brady should have retired last year after their SB win, now he's entering that phase of a superstar desperately trying to play one (or more) year. I ills that befell the patriots wasn't because of brady, time is not Brady's friend at this point

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
He's leaving this year, and in all honesty, I don't know why he would want to inherent the Patriots if Belichek leaves. Do you really want to inherent a team that is starting the rebuilding process and you'll be in the shadow of a legend.

I think Brady should have retired last year after their SB win, now he's entering that phase of a superstar desperately trying to play one (or more) year. I ills that befell the patriots wasn't because of brady, time is not Brady's friend at this point
Should have departed as a winner last year. He will possibly soon reek of desperation like Brett Favre did at the end of his career.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
There was rumor that Belichick wanted to keep Garopollo and trade Brady and Kraft overruled him. I don’t think Belichick is close to retirement, especially not because of Brady’s decision. But if he still wants to play I think they sign him, but won’t guarantee he’s the starter. Stidham has shown some positives, Rivers is a free agent, Mariota or Bridgewater through a trade maybe... or the draft. Or make Brady the offensive coordinator.. ?

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States

He must really like playing, because he certainly has enough money and it seems like even his wife wanted him to retire. Some people just don't know when to quit I guess ?‍♂️

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Quick side note:

I’m thinking it would be a brilliant and much needed move if the Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as a future head coach. I mean, someone needs to get that team back on track, I think he is a caliber coach to do just that.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He must really like playing,
Unlike nearly every other sports professional, he's eschewed large contracts. I guess maybe he chose not to think of a mega contract as respect, like so many other sports stars. This of course helped his team as it gave them cap space.

I do think he loves the game and he's still able to play at a high level, but at some point, you need to say enough

Reactions: compwiz1202

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Unlike nearly every other sports professional, he's eschewed large contracts. I guess maybe he chose not to think of a mega contract as respect, like so many other sports stars. This of course helped his team as it gave them cap space.

I do think he loves the game and he's still able to play at a high level, but at some point, you need to say enough
He feels burned that he never got a multiyear deal. I still think the Chargers will sign him. They need people in that new stadium.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still think the Chargers will sign him.
If any team could sign him, its the Chargers, they've been (on paper at least) so close to winning, and with Brady they could win now, which is something that they desperately need.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Color me purple...two major upsets this weekend, this wildcard round has proven to be very unpredictable.

I think the 49ers will have their way with the Vikings next week, however.

Vikings beat the Saints
Yeah, that "kind of" helps the Seahawks, for if the Hawks beat the Eagles, the Vikings are 11 and 6 (10 and 6 regular season), and the Hawks would be 13 and 4 (12 and 4 regular season). Thus, from what I understand the NFL playoffs, the team with the worst record out of the Wild Card round would play the #1 seed, which is SF, and the team with the better record would play the #2 seed, which is Green Bay. I myself would rather have the Hawks play the Packers than the 49ers again.
[automerge]1578260136[/automerge]
Color me purple...two major upsets this weekend, this wildcard round has proven to be very unpredictable.

I think the 49ers will have their way with the Vikings next week, however.
Yeah, I agree with you. A Seattle-Green Bay match up would be intriguing, with of course the weather playing a possible significant role.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.