Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Enjoyable enough game, though my kids and wife lost interest. I'm sure the talking heads over at espn and other places will dissect the game ad nauseam.

Its funny, and maybe its me, but I definitely noticed a difference in Goodell's presentation with KC vs. when Patriots were on top. The latter was when a parent told a little kid to be nice, and he did so through gritted teeth. This time, he's full of energy and the presentation felt a bit more sincere.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Not only that, but the crowd was in such a good mood that when Goodell was introduced, they cheered. You don't see that very often.

BTW, even though the officials reviewed it and didn't call it, it sure looked to me like Damien Williams' toe was out of bounds on that catch near the end of the game.

I doubt it would've affected the outcome of the game much. Just sayin'.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Was this a retirement party?😁

I kid..I kid....

It was a decent game, I Was able to watch the last seven minutes when I got home from work, Both teams will be contenders for the 2020/2021 year.
There were about 25 Mahomes relatives there, great aunts & uncles, aunts, uncles, first and second cousins, nieces and nephews. Immediate family had flown to the game. My wife is a cousin related through marriage and we’ve never met Patrick Mahomes.

For myself, I only started playing attention in the playoffs and had been impressed with KCs playoff performance. Mahomes deserved MVP. I realize that it’s a team effort, but he contributed directly to the win multiple times. We had a vested interest, so we were happy with the outcome. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNut and 44267547

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Not only that, but the crowd was in such a good mood that when Goodell was introduced, they cheered. You don't see that very often.

BTW, even though the officials reviewed it and didn't call it, it sure looked to me like Damien Williams' toe was out of bounds on that catch near the end of the game.

The problem with that review was there wasn’t conclusive evidence of where the ball was when he stepped out of bounds.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Yes, that was questionable.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The problem with that review was there wasn’t conclusive evidence of where the ball was when he stepped out of bounds.
I don't know how they could not get a conclusive shot. They should have an abundance of cameras for the game.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
There were a couple of these bad calls, all in favour for the Chiefs. It wasn't until after the game when I noticed the whitehat was Vinovich, the same guy that didn't make the call for pass interference in last years (?) Saints game.

He laughed at Garoppolo when he threw the ball and a Chiefs player got his had on it for an incomplete pass. That sparked discussions on the web. Looks like he has a track record for making calls for the Chiefs and against the 49ers in regular season games.

Would that have changed the result? Maybe, maybe not, but they have to do something about it. They have a lot of people watching the game, let someone throw a flag from NYC within 20 or 30 seconds after the play. Or even check all the calls made on the field, not just challenges, touchdowns and turn-overs. And while they're at it, maybe revisit the overtime rules.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There were a couple of these bad calls, all in favour for the Chiefs. It wasn't until after the game when I noticed the whitehat was Vinovich, the same guy that didn't make the call for pass interference in last years (?) Saints game.

He laughed at Garoppolo when he threw the ball and a Chiefs player got his had on it for an incomplete pass. That sparked discussions on the web. Looks like he has a track record for making calls for the Chiefs and against the 49ers in regular season games.

Would that have changed the result? Maybe, maybe not, but they have to do something about it. They have a lot of people watching the game, let someone throw a flag from NYC within 20 or 30 seconds after the play. Or even check all the calls made on the field, not just challenges, touchdowns and turn-overs. And while they're at it, maybe revisit the overtime rules.
Defensive PI was the proper call. The TD was too close to call, had it been ruled out of bounds that would have stood as well. I thought it was good in real time but would be overturned, but it was inches either way.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The TD was too close to call, had it been ruled out of bounds that would have stood as well. I thought it was good in real time but would be overturned, but it was inches either way.

Agreed, there wasn't definitive evidence to overturn whatever call the officials made on that play.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
When a still frame can't give you a conclusive look, you have to take the call on the field even though the ref can't be looking at the foot, the ball, and the goal line all at once.

Reactions: MacNut

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When a still frame can't give you a conclusive look, you have to take the call on the field even though the ref can't be looking at the foot, the ball, and the goal line all at once.

The foot and goal line are mutually exclusive, that doesn’t really make sense what you’re saying here.

But yes, the ball crossing the plane is the most difficult part, which the new ’pylon cam’ made a huge impact this year for the NFL with these types of calls.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Fox should have had a better angle, it is the Superbowl after all.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Shanahan's poor play calling / clock management in crunch time — did he learn nothing from the debacle with the Falcons three years ago? — and Garoppolo's inability to make plays are what cost the 49ers the game more than some questionable officiating decisions. A lot of little things just snowballed over the last 7 minutes of the 4th quarter, and you can't give a team as good as the Chiefs any breathing room at all.

Reactions: TheIntruder

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
^ Jimmy had some questionable passes towards the end, but the pass-rush really put the pressure on him. It’s easy to ‘pick’ on the quarterback for XYZ decisions, but the amount of tension that he was under to try to have his team win the biggest game of his lifetime under 3 minutes is incredible. It Wasn’t his best game, but he Was clutch for the post season and performed strong.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I don't know how they could not get a conclusive shot. They should have an abundance of cameras for the game.

It looked like the ball was on the line at the same time his toe looked oob.

Personally it looked like the ball touched the line before his toe touched the other line.

But I agree.It wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Foot placement is such a tricky thing. There was another player, I don't remember who, who made a legal catch with what looked like part of his foot out of bounds.

When he caught the ball, his heel was out of bounds but his toe was in bounds. Thing is, he was tippy-toeing that catch right at the sideline with his heel actually off the ground. So by rule, he wasn't out of bounds.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'd say any season that ends with motor-mouth Richard Sherman getting burned twice is a good season. Andy Reid simply out-coached Shannahan, and Mahomes showed GQ Garappalo how it's supposed to be done. The 49ers choked big time. BTW, Mahomes is 5-0 when trailing by double-digits in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
SF didn't lose because of bad officiating, it lost because it didn't make the plays when it needed to, while KC did.

I'm old school -- defense wins championships.

SF's defense held Mahomes in check for most of the game, until the 4th quarter. That has been a tall order for everyone, even arguably the best D in the league. At the same time, KC's defense stopped the SF offense when it needed to. It's often hard to pin the outcome on one play, but that 3rd-and-15 the KC converted was a big play, and may have been a blown coverage, which they've done a good job avoiding all season.

Shanahan's clock management at the end of the 1st half was atrocious; indecisive and not making the best use of the time available, which is compounded against a team with such scoring potential.

His play calling in the 2nd half was also questionable. Instead of being accused of being gun shy like his last SB, he seemed to force the issue with Jimmy G, and not put the ball in the hands of his best playmakers like the TE, or the WR/RB, which worked in the first half. They got eight yards per carry eariler in the playoffs and six in this game, yet didn't try to lean on that further.

That said, SF is a young team, with a young coach, so they should get better. Maybe it was too much to expect Jimmy G to channel Brady in his first SB after his first full season as a starter, but he needs to cut down on the bad decisions (Favre got away with that, but he could compensate in other ways) and try to avoid happy feet. Shanahan is a master at drawing plays, but needs to do a better job of seeing the bigger picture of the game, which is an odd thing to say for a coach's son.

Mahomes is 24 and looks set to lead a new generation of dynamic QBs for years to come.

Success if often fleeting, but both teams can look forward to the future as contenders.

Love or hate New England, they always are, despite a rotating cast over the years, which is why GOAT is often mentioned in the same breath.

Forgot to mention, did anyone notice when they flashed to Paul McCartney in a suite, the dude next to him was Eddy Cue?

Last edited:
Reactions: D.T. and Silencio

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's often hard to pin the outcome on one play, but that 3rd-and-15 the KC converted was a big play, and may have been a blown coverage, which they've done a good job avoiding all .

I think that play was the turning point of the game. To have a team down to 3rd and 15 and give up 44 yards is just crushing.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The foot and goal line are mutually exclusive, that doesn’t really make sense what you’re saying here.

But yes, the ball crossing the plane is the most difficult part, which the new ’pylon cam’ made a huge impact this year for the NFL with these types of calls.

Foot in question touched the sideline
Ball is in the player's hand which is
+/-3 feet above the goal line

that's three places you can look at, one at a time, in a photo

you cannot look at all three live standing at the end of the goal line

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.