Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
3 teams? Has F1 ever been more open than that? Not in the 35 years I’ve been watching.

The entire focus of the new Rules Packaging is to increase competition for the lower funded teams. I don’t see it. Liberty is going about it like it’s NASCAR. Formula E is far more competitive, it’s simply far to slow for me.

I expect to once again be finding most of my viewing being IMSA DPi, LMP2, GTLM, and GDT once again in 2019. :apple:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The entire focus of the new Rules Packaging is to increase competition for the lower funded teams. I don’t see it. Liberty is going about it like it’s NASCAR. Formula E is far more competitive, it’s simply far to slow for me.

I expect to once again be finding most of my viewing being IMSA DPi, LMP2, GTLM, and GDT once again in 2019. :apple:
I am definitely interested to see where formula e goes. While it is slower, it's far more competitive and some of the biggest carmakers are starting to support it.

Reactions: Glideslope

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Yeah I'd love it to be 3 teams dominating versus 1 team winning most every race and 2 also rans picking up the scraps.

Hopefully Red Bull's new Honda power units put them in the mix in 2019. They had the chassis, the aero, and team this year. Just need some help from the powerplant.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Hopefully Red Bull's new Honda power units put them in the mix in 2019. They had the chassis, the aero, and team this year. Just need some help from the powerplant.
By the end of last year, Honda had the better power plant. It sounds like Honda simply wasn't ready to be a provider when they joined with McLaren and they totally underestimated the challenge. Probably didn't help that McLaren just sucks now.

Reactions: pachyderm

edvj

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Fredensborg,Denmark
Haas reveals the new 2019 car.
ok-vf19-forfra

ok-vf19-fra-siden

REHF1_FRONT_TQ-679-1200x677.jpg

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Rokit also sponsors the Houston Rockets NBA team and the San Diego Chargers NFL team. I guess the puns (Rockit - Rockets / Phone - Chargers) is not lost on them.

Though as someone noted on Crash.net, it was a bit ironic that a sponsor named "Rokit" is sponsoring the slowest cars in the field.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
:rolleyes:
View attachment 821265

You know it’s a bad sign when you have to look up the title sponsor for a team. Rokit is another new phone setup, which frankly look like the cheapest smartphones ever. The livery is pretty dull.

https://www.cnet.com/news/rokit-android-phones-boast-3d-screens-free-health-care-for-under-300/

I haven’t posted the Torro Rosso as it’s pretty much exactly the same livery as last year.
I look forward to seeing very little of the Williams in the races. Hope I’m wrong though.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Rokit also sponsors the Houston Rockets NBA team and the San Diego Chargers NFL team. I guess the puns (Rockit - Rockets / Phone - Chargers) is not lost on them.

Though as someone noted on Crash.net, it was a bit ironic that a sponsor named "Rokit" is sponsoring the slowest cars in the field.

lol there's going to be a few jokes about calling it the rocket car this year. Might be better though since last season we barely even mentioned Williams unless it was to talk about Stroll leaving or the promise of Kubica returning.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
upload_2019-2-13_12-59-32.png

The Red Bull in camo form - I imagine the actual livery will be very similar to last year. Loses points for me for being Aston Martin Red Bull Honda which is ridiculous.

The Mercedes I’m happier with, as I prefer the more bold Petronas stripe than the gradients. I presume they’re running a camo livery in testing otherwise I’m not sure what the point of the tweet was.:confused:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
View attachment 821606

The Red Bull in camo form - I imagine the actual livery will be very similar to last year. Loses points for me for being Aston Martin Red Bull Honda which is ridiculous.

The Mercedes I’m happier with, as I prefer the more bold Petronas stripe than the gradients. I presume they’re running a camo livery in testing otherwise I’m not sure what the point of the tweet was.:confused:

I like the Mercedes too. I still don't get why Red Bull rolls out the cameo that they don't plan on using on car reveal day. I'd rather see the real livery they plan on racing with, and if they want to run cameo during testing that's cool.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
"Stealth Aero." ;)

I’m not sure that explains the Alfa/ Sauber, which while gorgeous (though not the actual livery I presume) is in a decidedly unstealthy blood red with crosses.

The McLaren, though, is a definite improvement on last year.

upload_2019-2-14_17-47-59.jpeg

And the Ferrari SF90H

upload_2019-2-15_11-17-52.jpeg

I like the more black detailing but the odd grey Marlboro “Mission Winnow” spoils it and is clearly an attempt to head off accusations they’re attempting to bypass smoking advertising regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I’m not sure that explains the Alfa/ Sauber, which while gorgeous (though not the actual livery I presume) is in a decidedly unstealthy blood red with crosses.

The McLaren, though, is a definite improvement on last year.

View attachment 821828

And the Ferrari SF90H

View attachment 821947

I like the more black detailing but the odd grey Marlboro “Mission Winnow” spoils it and is clearly an attempt to head off accusations they’re attempting to bypass smoking advertising regulations.

Agreed. The “Mission Winnow” is going to be an issue. Hard to tell from a render though. I’m more interested in an actual image in good light. I think we will see “50 Shades of Grey” on “Misson” as the season progresses if the FIA is asleep. ;)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
A better look at the Williams...

k1orWqX.png

d6sxYfU.png
Mdmy0I9.png

[doublepost=1550314019][/doublepost]

Gttg4NP.png
IiEdaNH.png

McClaren at first sight reminds of the mid 90's Renault ...

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
BTW folks if you haven’t already, I would recommend giving Formula E a go. I watched the Mexican E-Prix live on the BBC website and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cars sound a little like a jet fighter about to take off, but the electric nature of it adds some interesting elements. This year they’ve got rid of the car swaps so it’s a pure race now.

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
BTW folks if you haven’t already, I would recommend giving Formula E a go. I watched the Mexican E-Prix live on the BBC website and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cars sound a little like a jet fighter about to take off, but the electric nature of it adds some interesting elements. This year they’ve got rid of the car swaps so it’s a pure race now.
Where’s the petrol?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.