Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I watched the race again. Yes, I do that.

Vettel squeezes LeClerc on start (Turn 2?).

Vettel does not squeeze Verstappen when he passes along the outside. (He did get better traction out of the corner and had the benefit of DRS.) We've all seen situations where drivers were more aggressive in that kind of scenario in thelast few years.

Pretty sure reputation had something to do with the latter.

I also wonder if there's been any Red Bull/Toro Rosso conversations about unlucky Pierre.

Dude, when I was a Mr.Mom(14 years running), Monday morning was tape day for me. I'd tape, and then rewatch, every race. That was starting back in 1994. The 1st GP I saw in it's entirety was Imola '94. :(

Reactions: BenTrovato

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Dude, when I was a Mr.Mom(14 years running), Monday morning was tape day for me. I'd tape, and then rewatch, every race. That was starting back in 1994. The 1st GP I saw in it's entirety was Imola '94. :(

I’m surprised you weren’t put off F1 if that was your first race. A dreadful introduction to F1 and easily the lowest point in modern times.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Aus GP wasn't the best race, but it often isn't anyway. I wouldn't discount the whole season based on that.

Bottas firmly outperforming Lewis was a surprise. Yes, Lewis lost a little bit of aero from the floor in front of the wheel, but normally he'd have had a big enough lead to hold it over Bottas. If Bottas turns into another Rosberg, then Merc might have an issue.

Also, Truth in 24 turns 10 years old today. Anyone who hasn't seen it should watch it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’m surprised you weren’t put off F1 if that was your first race. A dreadful introduction to F1 and easily the lowest point in modern times.

I remember watching the golden boys like Mansell and my favourite, the great Senna, even watched his fatal crash.
Remember the Williams car with self adjusting suspension and that six wheeled F1 car. I’m old... but not that old.

Ferrari is now looking very quick, hopefully they’ve fixed their issue so we have a good race tomorrow :)

I still think should have put money on LeClerk, I keep misspelling his name.

And Red Bull will be a show of strength possibly, that engine looks strong and reliable..

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I remember watching the golden boys like Mansell and my favourite, the great Senna, even watched his fatal crash.
Remember the Williams car with self adjusting suspension and that six wheeled F1 car. I’m old... but not that old.

Ferrari is now looking very quick, hopefully they’ve fixed their issue so we have a good race tomorrow :)

I still think should have put money on LeClerk, I keep misspelling his name.

And Red Bull will be a show of strength possibly, that engine looks strong and reliable..

Haha I’ll be shocked if it’s a good race. Looking at the qualy times, it should be a dominant Ferrari 1-2 followed by a dominant Merc 3-4. Max takes home 5th and then behind that there could be some good racing. McLaren are showing some promising midfield pace.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Haha I’ll be shocked if it’s a good race. Looking at the qualy times, it should be a dominant Ferrari 1-2 followed by a dominant Merc 3-4. Max takes home 5th and then behind that there could be some good racing. McLaren are showing some promising midfield pace.

Don’t know the results of quali but I do know to never go by them to tell you who will be 2,3,4 etc.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Don’t know the results of quali but I do know to never go by them to tell you who will be 2,3,4 etc.

Absolutely agree. Who knows what can happen by turn one, anyone can easily be taken out. If no accidents happen though, Bahrain is going to be a predictable result. There’s too much of a gap between all the teams this weekend.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Absolutely agree. Who knows what can happen by turn one, anyone can easily be taken out. If no accidents happen though, Bahrain is going to be a predictable result. There’s too much of a gap between all the teams this weekend.

And don’t forget guys like Max the nails the start and jumps from 4th or 5th to 2nd or 3rd! I do hope we get a race today and that Leclerk is actually allowed to race Vettel.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
LeClerc has grip again and back to second. Bottas from 2nd to 4th as he loses grip. I am guessing there is sand on the track and screwing with the tires.
[doublepost=1554045748][/doublepost]Ferrari on Ferrari? What year is this?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
LeClerc has grip again and back to second. Bottas from 2nd to 4th as he loses grip. I am guessing there is sand on the track and screwing with the tires.
[doublepost=1554045748][/doublepost]Ferrari on Ferrari? What year is this?

It’s only lap 10 but so far it’s Ferrari 1-2, Mercedes 3-4 and no chance of that changing without accidents or failures.

However, it was a great start with Charles blowing the getaway and fighting his way back to 1st. Really happy to see Ferrari letting their drivers race!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well at least the double Renault DNF put the field under a Safety Car to allow LeClerc to finish third.

I can't help shake the feeling that Mercedes and Lewis will lock up the CC and WDC this year, now. Mercedes just is too good at in-season development and correcting deficiencies. Ferrari and their drivers needed to win these early races to build a cushion to help them weather the second half of the season, but instead it's Mercedes and their drivers in the lead and I don't see them giving that up.

Last edited:

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
That SkyF1 coverage was surprisingly bad. I'm actually shocked how terrible Crofty and Brundle were, and how badly Ted was missed. First race I've watched fully in a while and I've always been a fan of Croft and Brundle, but man.

Good race. Gutted for Leclerc. Vettel made an arse of it. Bottas was absolutely nowhere.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
That SkyF1 coverage was surprisingly bad. I'm actually shocked how terrible Crofty and Brundle were, and how badly Ted was missed. First race I've watched fully in a while and I've always been a fan of Croft and Brundle, but man.

Good race. Gutted for Leclerc. Vettel made an arse of it. Bottas was absolutely nowhere.

Brundle is an idiot.

Too bad for LeClerc. His day will come.

Great race, imho.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I stopped watching the Sky coverage a few years back due to how bad it was. I can’t stand Brundle as he’s a bit of an arse in real life and I struggle to see past his smugness on the tv.

I saw the race result on a BBC article and I’m pleasantly surprised. Undecided yet whether to watch the highlights and unless it’s an exciting race I probably won’t. It’s not the same knowing the results these days and trying to enjoy a summary show.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I stopped watching the Sky coverage a few years back due to how bad it was. I can’t stand Brundle as he’s a bit of an arse in real life and I struggle to see past his smugness on the tv.

I saw the race result on a BBC article and I’m pleasantly surprised. Undecided yet whether to watch the highlights and unless it’s an exciting race I probably won’t. It’s not the same knowing the results these days and trying to enjoy a summary show.

So many people say that about him in real life. When Brundle was doing the pre race pit walk he mistakenly called Guy Ritchie over but it was his bodyguard. Big blunder from Brundle!

The race ended up being more exciting with all the failures. Hamilton vs Vettel (for that one lap) was probably the highlight for me. Poor Charles!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Had to wait for the highlights.
Lots happening today.
Poor Charles didn’t put a wheel wrong, yet he didn’t get his first (deserved) win.
Lewis drove well and made the most of the luck that came his way.
All the talk is of Lewis v Vettel, but I think it could end up being Lewis v LeClerk.
Vettel has been too prone to mistakes in recent years. I think Ferrari need to back their youngster. At least the bizarre SC secured him a podium.
Two Renault’s give up on the track on the same lap. How weird was that?
And the Bottas of 2018 was back. After a good start, threw it all away 2 laps later.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So many people say that about him in real life. When Brundle was doing the pre race pit walk he mistakenly called Guy Ritchie over but it was his bodyguard. Big blunder from Brundle!

The race ended up being more exciting with all the failures. Hamilton vs Vettel (for that one lap) was probably the highlight for me. Poor Charles!

Did you miss the battle between LeClerc and Vettel?
I didn't think he'd, LeClerc, be allowed to race him yet he pushed him to the limit for 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenTrovato

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I've always been a bit skeptical about Vettel. If he doesn't have the absolute superior car and is pushed he seems to lose it and get desperate and make mistakes. Don't know a lot about LeClerc other than he is a highly regarded and sought after young driver. He showed a lot of maturity out there today but for a spot of bad luck he would have won. I hope that Ferrari lets these two guys race...within reason that is.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've always been a bit skeptical about Vettel. If he doesn't have the absolute superior car and is pushed he seems to lose it and get desperate and make mistakes. Don't know a lot about LeClerc other than he is a highly regarded and sought after young driver. He showed a lot of maturity out there today but for a spot of bad luck he would have won. I hope that Ferrari lets these two guys race...within reason that is.
Let’s say a few races in LeClerc is ahead of Vettel in the championship but Lewis is out in front.
Do you think Vettel would follow orders if told to pull over for his teammate?
I doubt it!
I think this could be Vettel’s last year at Ferrari. Too many mistakes that in reality have cost the team dear in recent years.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Let’s say a few races in LeClerc is ahead of Vettel in the championship but Lewis is out in front.
Do you think Vettel would follow orders if told to pull over for his teammate?
I doubt it!
I think this could be Vettel’s last year at Ferrari. Too many mistakes that in reality have cost the team dear in recent years.

I agree. LeClerc looks like the real deal - he drove a nearly faultless race [he got bogged down at the start but that was it] and was very unlucky not to win. Vettel managed to spin under pressure from Hamilton who managed to drag his car to a second on the track when it appeared they did not have the pace to race Ferrari.

McLaren also look racey. Sainz looked like he had the race pace to get Verstappen had it not been for the touch, and Norris got a great sixth place. They look genuinely 4th on the grid. Gasly was nowhere, and who knows what happened to Renault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.