Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Right, sod everything else, especially brexit.... It's the new F1 season baby!

This year you'll be glad to know I have actually elected to save my 20 quid and have not put a bet on.. I mean it's not like Max is going to win!! LOL

My bets are on LecLerc or Max. Max because, well it's Red Bull, apparently they have power to spare they have not shown yet, and LecLerc because I think he will be very very very hungry for a win in that new bright re, we I mean orange Ferrari?

I've heard Mercedes have had some reliability issues.

If this season with the new are rules fails to produce some proper battles and overtaking, I don't know what will?
[doublepost=1552427934][/doublepost]
I’m not sure things have been right for a while. Everyone knew the aero package was wrong last year. Thats the one thing you’d have thought they’d have got right this year.
Not enough funding for wind tunnel testing maybe?

Apparently she want's to give it up, but the brother wants to keep the vintage side going. I can't see them lasting much longer surely? Their debt must be crazy? Such a shame for a team that used to run at the front once.

Red Bull have so far had no engine problems.. but that's not racing. We'll see.

Last edited:

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
It's hard not to be excited about the season beginning. Some random thoughts
  • Ferrari won pre-season testing. They do every year. It'll take three races to get an idea of the performance of the teams. My foggy memory recalls Kimi winning in a Lotus there. (Please no flames if I got this wrong.)
  • Australia tends to have unique results. It's not necessarily indicative of the season. I recall Alonso was 5th last year.
  • Very interested in Vettel vs. LeClerc. Vettel is the second most accomplished driver on the grid. LeClerc is universally identified as a special talent. I think it's a fair statement Vettel didn't emerge as a clear number 1 during the Vettel/Ricciardo year(and that's being generous.)
  • Stroll versus Perez. Is it possible the Canadian has more talent than the Williams would reveal? What happens if Perez bumps into him?
  • Honda, Max, and Pierre. I do wonder how long Red Bull will stay in the sport. I certainly want them to stay. it's just hard to imagine why a company wants to spend so much money on one source of marketing. I get it: Billionaires and their hobbies thing. At the same time, not winning can kill the verve of a hobby.
  • Bottas
  • And repeating myself from an earlier thread: Kubica.
Anyone purchased/will be purchasing the F1 Tv app?

Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Anyone purchased/will be purchasing the F1 Tv app?

I like how you mentioned Stroll vs Perez. It hasn't really been talked about a great deal but you would have to imagine Perez is going to want to destroy Lance every single round and there has to be at least one incident between them this season, hopefully more. Would be great to see Perez getting a talking to from Father Stroll :D

Not sure how I feel about the F1 app yet. Might see what others have to say about it first.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I like how you mentioned Stroll vs Perez. It hasn't really been talked about a great deal but you would have to imagine Perez is going to want to destroy Lance every single round and there has to be at least one incident between them this season, hopefully more. Would be great to see Perez getting a talking to from Father Stroll :D

Not sure how I feel about the F1 app yet. Might see what others have to say about it first.

Hmm I just looked at it on the App Store, the reviews aren’t good I must say.
Why would you pay for something that doesn’t actually stream the race to you? That’s all you want to watch..
[doublepost=1552510145][/doublepost]Also watch out for Sauber, expected to be a very dark horse this year... potential to upset the front runners.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hmm I just looked at it on the App Store, the reviews aren’t good I must say.
Why would you pay for something that doesn’t actually stream the race to you? That’s all you want to watch..
[doublepost=1552510145][/doublepost]Also watch out for Sauber, expected to be a very dark horse this year... potential to upset the front runners.
I'd love to see Kimi get a podium. But I think the odds are stacked against him.

Reactions: apolloa

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
If LeClerc does well start looking for Vettel to start taking chances and making mistakes and probably taking some folks out. I don't think he handles being pushed especially by a team mate.

Reactions: apolloa

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Charlie Whiting has died in Melbourne. He suffered a pulmonary embolism on Thursday morning. :(

RIP CW. A very important man in F1 history.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Charlie Whiting has died in Melbourne. He suffered a pulmonary embolism on Thursday morning. :(

RIP CW. A very important man in F1 history.

Absolutely devastating. As long as I’ve watched F1 he was there. When I started he was one of the big three (Max, Bernie being the other) that were the faces of F1. The safety improvements he lead were incredible. I’m not sure LeClerc would be here without the research done by F1.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
For those not happy with just a single first Formula One race of the year to celebrate, you can overdose on motorsport if you want.

FIA WEC has their first race at Sebring since 2012 (which was an odd Frankenstein event) on Friday night. 8pm UK start for 1000 miles or 8 hours, whichever comes first. Saturday night, IMSA will have the 12 Hours of Sebring. Which should finish in time for the F1.

Overdose incoming. :D

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Not long now.... Lewis is going around like some kind of fashion model, when will they learn F1 drivers make rubbish models! That’s why they race cars!!..

Anyway no idea who will be on pole as I don’t think any of them of going full beans so far.

And Red Bull has had no problems with the Honda Engine, but they did with Max’s fuel tank and had to change the chassis monocoque.

Last edited:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I have just seen the results - Lewis pole followed by the usual suspects, but Lando 8th is incredible. Best Renault engined driver in the field, and outqualifying Sainz.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
6tZEBYe.png
PeKadvo.png
nBePpAg.png

Lando 8th !?!?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
THE most impressive thing about this weekends F1? The fact Robert Cubitzer is driving an F1 car.. hats of to this guy.

He smashed a rally car up a few years ago, broke every single bone on the right hand side of his body, 18 operations, his right arm still doesn’t work properly, and he’s in an F1 car again.

Note I’ve probably spelt his name wrong.

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.