Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Touch is definitely far superior for Apple Pay for this reason. I can grab the phone and double tap home and hold and move the phone to the reader DING DONE all in one fluid motion. Much quicker than double hit power look at the phone and then finally move it to the terminal
In that vein, Face ID is superior for Apple Pay because I can authenticate with gloves on about a minute before I need to pay and then in the blink of an eye, BAM, done.

Ken Huang

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
In that vein, Face ID is superior for Apple Pay because I can authenticate with gloves on about a minute before I need to pay and then in the blink of an eye, BAM, done.
Because of the recent corona virus crisis almost 90% of Asians like Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, now wear face mask in public places to avoid getting infected . In some countries, wearing face mask in public transit is mandatory.

Given that now Face ID is useless, and touch id is way better. However, it would be better that both are implemented in the next incoming iphone 12. Otherwise, I think I would prefer going backward to iphone 8 plus for the sake of touch ID.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because of the recent corona virus crisis almost 90% of Asians like Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, now wear face mask in public places to avoid getting infected . In some countries, wearing face mask in public transit is mandatory.

Given that now Face ID is useless, and touch id is way better. However, it would be better that both are implemented in the next incoming iphone 12. Otherwise, I think I would prefer going backward to iphone 8 plus for the sake of touch ID.
Here in the US, people are wearing gloves and face masks, which render both essentially useless. My opinion is, one could come up with any use case to support some type of opinion about either biometric method.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It’s a little less complicated for some users. I wear both gloves and mask, and happily the Apple Watch isn’t impaired by either. No matter what solutions arrive, it’s always simpler with the watch.

We’ll see what Apple comes up with ...

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Here in the US, people are wearing gloves and face masks, which render both essentially useless. My opinion is, one could come up with any use case to support some type of opinion about either biometric method.

my old iPhone 7 Touch ID works with my latex gloves but Face ID on the iPhone 11 doesn't work with the mask so I'm using my iPhone 7 this days… (weeks? months? the next full year??)

Though maybe you can add a second-third face with the mask on, I mean, now you can't but with some software update…

Last edited:

ingambe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2020

My under the screen fingerprint scanner of my android phone works with gloves (needs multiple trials but it works)
[automerge]1585728462[/automerge]
The under the screen fingerprint scanner should be added to the iPad Pro too, sometimes face id is really a pain

Reactions: xpxp2002

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
My under the screen fingerprint scanner of my android phone works with gloves (needs multiple trials but it works)
Wait, what? I‘m thinking if the fingerprint reader on your Android phone works with gloves on, it’ll probably unlock with anyone’s fingerprint - not giving me a lot of confidence.

Reactions: I7guy

ingambe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2020
Wait, what? I‘m thinking if the fingerprint reader on your Android phone works with gloves on, it’ll probably unlock with anyone’s fingerprint - not giving me a lot of confidence.

it works with small thin gloves of course, the throwable one, the one we use nowdays
It is secure, doesn’t work with others finger print

xiaomi mi note 10 for the record

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[automerge]1585728462[/automerge]
The under the screen fingerprint scanner should be added to the iPad Pro too, sometimes face id is really a pain
For multiple attempts I can use my password. Or since I’m not wearing a mask, only gloves, use Face ID.

See how these conversations go with individual use cases?

Reactions: CarlJ

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

Yeah, I spend most of my time at home but when I go out to buy food I'm required to wear a mask in order to enter a store. Entering the pin each time is a pain, I wish I had TouchID under the display for that scenario.
I know people wear a mask and gloves, but only the mask is mandatory at the moment and I usually wear a glove only on one hand (the one I use to open doors etc) so TouchID would be a great option to me.
Even if the pandemic ends before iPhone 12, I do expect people to wear masks in the future, like in winter when the virus could get back or even to avoid the seasonal flu.
Having both sensor is the best alternative, maybe 90% of the time you use FaceID and then TouchID can help you while wearing a mask, or you do a job when sometimes you have to wear gloves and you can use FaceID instead. Just give people more options.

ingambe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2020
For multiple attempts I can use my password. Or since I’m not wearing a mask, only gloves, use Face ID.

See how these conversations go with individual use cases?
Multiple attends = 3 seconds maximum

i use a mask and you should too#mask4all
[automerge]1585735250[/automerge]
Yeah, I spend most of my time at home but when I go out to buy food I'm required to wear a mask in order to enter a store. Entering the pin each time is a pain, I wish I had TouchID under the display for that scenario.
I know people wear a mask and gloves, but only the mask is mandatory at the moment and I usually wear a glove only on one hand (the one I use to open doors etc) so TouchID would be a great option to me.
Even if the pandemic ends before iPhone 12, I do expect people to wear masks in the future, like in winter when the virus could get back or even to avoid the seasonal flu.
Having both sensor is the best alternative, maybe 90% of the time you use FaceID and then TouchID can help you while wearing a mask, or you do a job when sometimes you have to wear gloves and you can use FaceID instead. Just give people more options.
Let me guess ... aren’t you austrian ?

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
Didn’t miss the touchID since the day I received my iPhone XS Max. It hasn’t failed on me once while touchID didn’t work a lot of times. Sweaty fingers and all that
Wash your hands then lol you snotty, dirty man

Reactions: xpxp2002

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
I'm so glad they're not making the SE2 in 4 inch size. It's too small for 2020.

4'7" is just right.

ingambe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2020
#glovesaremoreimportant
No, you can always wash your hands, but if you breath the virus you are screwed
hands are natural gloves
it’s always a plus to wear a glove as it avoids you to wash too much your hands + you tend to less touch your face when you wear gloves

Reactions: V_Man and mag33

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Let me guess ... aren’t you austrian ?

Italian
[automerge]1585748299[/automerge]
hands are natural gloves
it’s always a plus to wear a glove as it avoids you to wash too much your hands + you tend to less touch your face when you wear gloves

Ditto.
Gloves are not mandatory here, and very few people wear them.

Reactions: V_Man

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
hands are natural gloves
You are working with different advice than we are on the east coast of the United States (and this really isn't the place for this), but as I discussed previously one makes a use case to fit a situation.

• Disagree
  • Angry
Reactions: V_Man and tridley68

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019
Apple really messed up with huge failure by not successfully developed an ultrasonic Touch ID before releasing iPhone X. Tim Cook has terrible leadership at Apple.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Apple really messed up with huge failure by not successfully developed an ultrasonic Touch ID before releasing iPhone X. Tim Cook has terrible leadership at Apple.

Recently had a galaxy note 10 plus sold it after one week found the under screen finger print reader to be absolute trash.

Cant fault Face ID on my XS max.

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019
Recently had a galaxy note 10 plus sold it after one week found the under screen finger print reader to be absolute trash.

Cant fault Face ID on my XS max.

Qualcomm technology in most of the hardware is undeniably reliable and it's Samsung software that most likely caused the problems.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Qualcomm technology in most of the hardware is undeniably reliable and it's Samsung software that most likely caused the problems.

also the size of the fingerprint scanner is way to small very hit and mss.

Hopefully apple don't add a under the screen fingerprint reader until it takes up the bottom half of the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.