Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Unless Apple improves ultrasonic fingerprint reader it's far inferior to Face ID. It keeps asking to press harder on Galaxy S10 device.
The reader (sensor) is not made by Apple. They can't improve it. But it is going to be a newer Qualcomm sensor.
[automerge]1575496287[/automerge]
No way. I’d never got back to a Touch ID only phone. Anyway I presume this would be for low end models that would otherwise use Touch ID. That way Apple can create a smaller phone with a larger screen.
You might have to switch to Huawei then if Apple stops producing phones with FaceID.

Last edited:

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.

ok so you’ll unlock it without looking at it. Then what? You’ll look at the phone after unlocking it. Why would you unlock the phone if you aren’t going to look at it. ??

It’s not like the Nokia’s of the 90’s where one could unlock and text away without looking at the phone. God I miss those days.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
ok so you’ll unlock it without looking at it. Then what? You’ll look at the phone after unlocking it. Why would you unlock the phone if you aren’t going to look at it. ??

It’s not like the Nokia’s of the 90’s where one could unlock and text away without looking at the phone. God I miss those days.

sometimes SIRI requires the phone to be unlocked to access personal things such as email. With touch ID , I can reach over, touch the ID button to unlock phone without picking it up off my desk to allow SIRI to read new emails to me

Reactions: xpxp2002

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

So, all this time I've been doing it wrong? Using the phone without looking at it, typing without looking at keyboard, shifting gears without looking at shifter, accelerating/braking without looking at pedals, etc.?

Last edited:

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I'd like both. There are some instances (like when wearing gloves) where I'd prefer touch id over face id and vice versa

Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'd like both. There are some instances (like when wearing gloves) where I'd prefer touch id over face id and vice versa

Same here. Face is more convenient than touch if I only had to pick one but there are so many instances where my face isn’t in view and the fingerprint would be faster. Looking forward to it coming back!

Cleartz

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2019
I'm looking forward to the next 2 years of iPhone. I can't wait for under display to come!

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Apple should offer 2 exact models, same specs but one with real full screen+US touch ID and the other with the notch and Face ID, same price, same oher specs, lets see which one the consumer prefers.

this would be a real surprise for many many of us, (even for those who say face ID but finally would buy the FaceID model again XD)

face ID problem if the extra swipe for access home screen and the notch, the notch is like a permanent black stain in the eyes or eye cataracts

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019

You have to pick it up and hold it against your face or lean over... use your head bro

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So, all this time I've been doing it wrong? Using the phone without looking at it, typing without looking at keyboard, shifting gears without looking at shifter, accelerating/braking without looking at pedals, etc.?
Never seen anybody ever able to type a text message on their iPhone even remotely readable with their eyes closed. Never seen anybody able to drive for extended times with their eyes closed and not wreck the car. I can however type on a keyboard 100% at 80 wpm with my eyes closed.
[automerge]1575546423[/automerge]
Some people aren't used to having options but this is the way except Apple needs to fix the false positive insecurities of Face ID.
Also needs to fix the false positives for the old Touch ID and have a better, not worse solution.

Last edited:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
it’s not though.
it is.

ergonomics remain an issue with Face ID.it simply doesn’t work in certain common situations such as when the device is laid flat on a table,or when user is laid side ways on a bed.or in situations where you can’t stare at it for whatever reason even for few seconds.it’s a pain in the ass.

none of that limitations with Touch ID.just a quick touch,no looking needed,no blind angles,no nothing.

you just can’t argue with that.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
it is.

ergonomics remain an issue with Face ID.it simply doesn’t work in certain common situations such as when the device is laid flat on a table,or when user is laid side ways on a bed.or in situations where you can’t stare at it for whatever reason even for few seconds.it’s a pain in the ass.

none of that limitations with Touch ID.just a quick touch,no looking needed,no blind angles,no nothing.

Except if your hands are cold, wet, dirty or you are wearing gloves. Then Face ID is superior. Limitations of use in common scenarios are the Achilles heel of Touch ID.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Controversial opinion: I like both TouchID AND FaceID *runs and hides* I swap between both daily and it’s never an issue for me :p

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
it is.

my hands are commonly wet at work and I wear gloves a lot.
no way I can argue....

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Nice parody post. Apple invented and still owns the premium smartphone market.

I sincerely doubt you would know. OnePlus for example made it easier, faster and more reliant than FaceID. Even Apple seems to know so, so unless you think you can outsmart them, I think you should reconsider your standpoint.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I sincerely doubt you would know. OnePlus for example made it easier, faster and more reliant than FaceID. Even Apple seems to know so, so unless you think you can outsmart them, I think you should reconsider your standpoint.
What I said is objective.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.
Touch is definitely far superior for Apple Pay for this reason. I can grab the phone and double tap home and hold and move the phone to the reader DING DONE all in one fluid motion. Much quicker than double hit power look at the phone and then finally move it to the terminal.
[automerge]1577805780[/automerge]
The only time I would prefer touch ID is while using Apple Pay.
Yes and for getting new apps. If they don't bring in backup TouchID, at least make a less clunky way than double tap power for those two things with FaceID.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
using the iPad mini 5 has made me miss Touch ID for certain situations....hopefully we do get both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.