Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
There is room for both Touch ID and Face ID. I prefer Touch ID but I also want attention-awareness where I can glance and it shows time. To unlock or not, I could probably set it. Now this is luxury.

Necessity is this way where my fingerprints are pretty young and get registered easily, so I can do with Touch ID 99.9% of the times. My father on the other hand, struggles with Touch ID since he is aged. For him, Face ID would probably be best.

So, no one solution will work for everyone. There is always room for another solution that works that much better for someone else.

varsity

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I prefer Face ID. Maybe I’m dull, but I don’t see the advantage to going back for fingerprints?
Moving back to fingerprint sensor to the display like in Samsung phones will allow Apple to lock down screen repairs to only their approved vendors. This will put thousands of independent repair shops out of business. Myself included.

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
I'm just curious, for the people who prefer FaceID over TouchID, would you take a notch-less TouchID screen over the currently implementation of FaceID with notch?

I think I would. And I'm someone who wants both FaceID and TouchID on the same phone, especially with an under the screen implementation of TouchID. Not sure why some people are against having more options of having both FaceID and TouchID, but I tend to use my phone in bed a lot and FaceID never works for me in bed, so I still end up using passcode a lot then but love FaceID in all other circumstances.

Also, if you want more security, I'm sure some banking apps can require both FaceID and TouchID to be used at the same time and that'll make it super hard to spoof.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm just curious, for the people who prefer FaceID over TouchID, would you take a notch-less TouchID screen over the currently implementation of FaceID with notch?
Sounds like a poll question. For me no. For me Face ID works better.

....Not sure why some people are against having more options of having both FaceID and TouchID, but I tend to use my phone in bed a lot and FaceID never works for me in bed, so I still end up using passcode a lot then but love FaceID in all other circumstances.

Also, if you want more security, I'm sure some banking apps can require both FaceID and TouchID to be used at the same time and that'll make it super hard to spoof.
Not sure who is against more options. Maybe people are against half-assed options.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014

I think I would. And I'm someone who wants both FaceID and TouchID on the same phone, especially with an under the screen implementation of TouchID. Not sure why some people are against having more options of having both FaceID and TouchID, but I tend to use my phone in bed a lot and FaceID never works for me in bed, so I still end up using passcode a lot then but love FaceID in all other circumstances.

The notch doesn't contain just the FaceID stuff. It would shrink it down but not eliminate completely.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Face ID is a huge step up from touch. the only time its a problem is when a phone is lying in a desk. unless they find a way for it to scan from an angle it would be nice to have touch in that situation

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Year: 2027: new iPhone announced. the new feature is the iPhone will take a drop of blood everytime you attempt to unlock your phone to match your DNA with the Phone ownership. upon the index finger being detected to unlock the phone on the back, a needle comes out and takes a drop of blood and evaporates it from existence once unlocked.

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
I don't see how face id is a huge step up.... facial regonition is nothing innovative and its annoying that you have to face toward your phone to unlock it

Reactions: xpxp2002

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
My guess is this is for the iPhone SE 2? Note the rumors are saying that it sill uses Touch ID. But Apple might want to put edge to edge screen to make all the iPhone lineup look similar.

Not going to complain. Even optical under-screen-fingerprint scanners are alright.

But if Apple can keep perfecting FaceID, imo that would be a better route going forward.
I hope the SE2 will have Touch ID and no notch, otherwise I'll "upgrade" to the iPhone 8 instead.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
After coming back and reading some more of these comments, it’s starting to sound like the whole debate on 3D Touch vs Haptic Touch (which Haptic Touch is garbage). I feel like people who complain about FaceID and the notch have never used one of those devices for any significant period of time. Touch ID had a much higher rate of failure compared to FaceID, especially if you’re someone like me that tends to get sweaty hands frequently. So much time wasted either entering my passcode, wiping the sensor, or wiping my fingertips...

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Those are the worst examples of delayed apple products. Better examples are:
HomePod:Announced to be released in December 2017, actually shipped n Feb 2018
Mac Pro: Announced to be released fall 2019, still waiting on December 4
AirPlay 2: Announced June 2017, shipped in May 2018
iMessage in the Cloud
iPhone X: Shipped 2 months later than usual
[automerge]1575469403[/automerge]
The 12 inch MacBook shipped in April 2015, just as rumored. The 16 inch MacBook Pro shipped in Q4 2019, just as rumored.
[automerge]1575469542[/automerge]
And the iPad Pro has always been on an eighteen month upgrade cycle.
November 2015
June 2017
November 2018
The next update will be between March and June of 2020, right on schedule

You must be fun at parties. ?

cbass90

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
It's kinda baffling to see so many people with FaceID issues... unless your face is somehow becoming more & more disfigured each day ?‍♂️

And it's even more hilarious to see people demanding "NO NOTCH!" -- yeah, let's scrap the front camera altogether :rolleyes:

I doubt Apple would be willing to incorporate a "pop-out" camera on their iPhones just to achieve a notch-less display...

Reactions: techfreak23

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I really hope this doesn’t replace FaceID. I have an 8 Plus but there have been so many times I’ve had trouble unlocking my phone because of wet hands where FaceID would have been perfect.

Reactions: techfreak23

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
I don't know how many posts i have written begging for a new iPhone with under glass touch ID. Could it really be, Apple finally heard my prayers? ;) I would be sooooooooooooo happy! :) A new iPhone at last!
[automerge]1575489911[/automerge]
I really hope this doesn’t replace FaceID. I have an 8 Plus but there have been so many times I’ve had trouble unlocking my phone because of wet hands where FaceID would have been perfect.
Opposite to me. I would deactivate Face-ID right away. Hope, this will be possible ... :rolleyes:

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
Until you find and press the touchid , your iphone is already unlocked thanks to faceid
Yes, and if you're sleeping and somebody holds sun glasses with two white dots before your face, your iPhone is unlocked also - ha ha ...
[automerge]1575491767[/automerge]
Let me guess you also prefer VHS over blue ray?
Oh m god! You still use blue ray??? I'm into streaming already - and I LOVE touch ID :)

Last edited:

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
Let me guess you also prefer VHS over blue ray?
Oh m god! You still use blue ray??? I'm into streaming already - and I LOVE touch ID :)
The only time I would prefer touch ID is while using Apple Pay.
This clearly shows the mistrust of Face ID. If it is too insecure for authorization of payments, it is too insecure for anything.
[automerge]1575492416[/automerge]
Biggest exaggeration you've ever made
Why? Imagine how beautiful an iPhone with a perfect all display Touch-ID without that ugly notch could look like? And if Apple then would also be able to get rid of this ugly camera bump on the backside due to improved cameras requiring less space, a true successor of the iPhone 4 design icon would be born! Steve would have loved it!

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I really hope this is not in replacement of Face ID. I have an S10 for work and I didn’t realize how much better Face ID really is until I had to use fingerprint again. My phone is just open for me - no action required. No trying again. Just works. Please keep Face ID Apple.

Also as a side note it’s hard to hit the scanner on the screen in the “right spot”, even with the icon on the screen as you can’t feel it like you could home button Touch ID.

You still have to swipe up Face ID or am I missing something? whereas touch ID you can just hit the button, and have it unlocked before it's out of your pocket.
[automerge]1575492751[/automerge]
I don't see how face id is a huge step up.... facial regonition is nothing innovative and its annoying that you have to face toward your phone to unlock it

I agree. Also Apple Pay seemed faster/easier with touch id

Last edited:

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
Touch ID and Face ID are not equal. So many people, myself included, have our phones laying flat on a desk and want to unlock it to view something. Face ID requires the phone be picked up to unlock. I know sounds minor, but 20x a day and it becomes an annoyance.
And I still don't like the idea the camera of my Phone is watching me all the time - a no go. If I ride on a train, I see a lot of people having covered the camera of their laptops with a small piece of paper etc. Almost everyone does this. And then buy a Phone with a camera watching all the time - what??
[automerge]1575492955[/automerge]
yes there is. there's the try again button and you can also wave the phone back and forth to retry.
Wave back and forth - how stupid does this look like in front of the cashier in the shop waiting for payment!!!

Reactions: xpxp2002

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
Having both options, as an either/or, or a combined 2-factor for higher security scenarios, isn't the worst idea.

I wouldn't mind having both active, and it being a race-to-authenticate, so that whichever one happens first, unlocks the phone.

It would decrease the security (since fingerprint auth is 50,000 times less secure than Face ID), but I would have no problem with it. The end result user experience would be Touch ID succeeding when Face ID fails, and Face ID succeeding when Touch ID fails.

This might also allow us to get rid of the utterly stupid 'double click side button' to make a purchase. If/when you have both enabled, you 2-factor for a purchase and thats it.

Potential here with both. Lots of potential.
[automerge]1575404378[/automerge]

Because the notch exists solely because of Face ID and couldn't possible have anything to with...you know...the camera? Last I checked the camera was there before and would still be there regardless.

Where do you people come from?
Yeah, camera was there before - but before Face-ID there was no need for the camera to work if you don't shoot a selfie or use FaceTime. And that makes the huge difference. It's called "privacy". Where do you come from?
[automerge]1575494108[/automerge]
Just think, Darth Vader can't use TouchID or FaceID.
Wonderful comment. Still laughing ... Great! :p
[automerge]1575494562[/automerge]
Shock
This! I don’t think I have a problematic face but FaceID fails so often on my XS Max. Too dark? Fails. Too bright? Fails. Hat or beanie? Fails. Scarf? Fails. High jacket? Fails. Wrong angle? fails. I type in my code all the time. My P30 Pro with under display fps rarely ever fails, so I‘m all for it!
Shocking. How could people even survive with a Face-ID iPhone? I don't buy a new high end iPhone unless it comes without Face-ID. But I never thought, that it is that bad with Face-ID. Thanks for your post. Shows me, that I was right ;-)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.