Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
The only thing that's actually safe is a password.

Your face, your fingerprint, whatever else that's your physical body can be used against you by a third party.

Reactions: Phoenix1000

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This new Qualcomm fingerprint sensor looks amazing. You can touch anywhere inside the very large area.

Note that the phone in the video is a demo model. I would imagine the fingerprint sensor in a shipping phone would be placed lower on the screen.

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
This isn’t happening until 2021 at the soonest. Do people honestly think, in 1 year, Apple is going to do all of this for the iPhone?:

5G support
Qualcomm modems
New screen sizes
Additional (4th) model
New OLED screens (Y-Octa)
New metal Frame design
Smaller notch
ToF sensor
120 Hz pro motion displays
USB-C
In screen fingerprint sensor

Do you really think Apple’s doing all of this in 1 year? Even if technically doable, they’re not cramming all of these changes in at once. I mean, if for no other reason it would be in their best interest to space out some of these changes to 2021.

God, imagine the cost of the Pro Max 6.7” with all of these upgrades: base price $1,500.00?

Apple can do a whole lot more than that in one year and it's just peanut stuff compared to the 2007 iPhone.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I prefer Face ID. Maybe I’m dull, but I don’t see the advantage to going back for fingerprints?
All the issues you have trying to unlock your phone on a table or laying around. touch ID worked better in more situations.
the only nice thing about faceid is when you are using your phone straight in front of your face and need to enter a passcode. Other than that touch id was better in those situations I mentioned.

also, the idea of a full screen phone the way Apple rolls the display under the bottom done to the top would make this new phone the best looking out there. tech is available for under screen oled screen camera‘s also. They can turn off the display in the spot around the camera when you want to use it and it would be full screen.
Id gladly give up faceid for that any day.
The notch is too big. Period. It’s dated now. Always was in my eyes. I know people seem to forget about it but still the ui with the top of the screen and notch cut into display size to a huge degree. Just looking at this forum on top there’s time in the top left and battery WiFi in top right. Then in the middle under the notch is the forum/macrumors which cuts into the overal size of the screen. If they can pull that all the way to the top it would be much better user experience by actually using that screen real estate.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The only thing that's actually safe is a password.

Your face, your fingerprint, whatever else that's your physical body can be used against you by a third party.

Nah, multi-factor authentication is safer. Password alone is rather weak.

Reactions: smulji

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I definitely prefer touch ID over Face ID.

I certainly do not.
Face ID makes me forget there is a security unlock. Touch ID not so much. Got to put that finger there every single time. Don't mind it being there as an additional feature as long as it doesn't drain the battery. Face ID should be everywhere. Cars, doors, computers, tablets, basically everything that needs secure unlock.

Reactions: NetMage

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
As long as I do not need to enter a pin code... Both solution seems fine each with their advantages and disadvantages. Both solution in the same phone seem to be an expensive solution to placate the complainers.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Maybe Apple could at least add something like smart unlock. You can add criteria’s to have your phone unlocked when they match.
For example, when I’m in my home wifi AND wearing my unlocked Apple watch, keep my phone unlocked until one criteria fails. So I wouldn’t need to care about FaceId failing at night and no picking up the phone just to glance at the notifications.

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
This will ONLY work if the the finger can be placed ANYWHERE. If not, there is no point of this I wouldn't give up Face ID for a fingerprint sensor that is fixed in a single location on the screen. I don't care if they can reduce the notch its not worth it.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
If they manage to put both TouchID and FaceID I'm fine with that, but I don't want them to ditch FaceID in favour of TouchID.
I think TouchID is great when you have a physical button to rest your finger on, like on the Macbook Pro or on the iPad Air and Mini. In those scenario TouchID is great as you always now where to put your finger on, even without looking at the screen so in can even be better than FaceID for example when you have to use Apple Pay.
Once you got used to the swipe up to unlock on the iPhone is harder to get back though. I'd be ok if they were able to keep the same interaction, like swipe up, and read your fingerprint while you do the gesture. That would be great and I could be ok with them ditching FaceID, especially if the notch goes away.
Otherwise please keep both, TouchID could be great alongside FaceID to avoid having to double tap on the power button to authorise a payment or an app purchase while FaceID could continue to be use to unlock the device.
Maybe TouchID under the display could work better on the iPad since now you can cover the sensor with your hands and you get the arrow on screen asking you to move the hand to unlock, in this case placing the finger could be easier so having both, or even just TouchID could be a good idea

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.

And then, like Sherlock from that episode in Sherlock, you can keep typing or doing whatever you want to do on your phone, without ever looking at it. Yes, for that use case, touch id is a must have.
[automerge]1575456873[/automerge]
Frankly, I was so used to touch id, I had a hard time imagining ditching it for what might be an iffy face id. But then, face id implementation is perfect. The one thing that face ID does mean is that we have to live with the notch because of that. But face id + notch >>> current samsung/one plus in display finger print scanner + hole/pop-up selfie camera

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
This new Qualcomm fingerprint sensor looks amazing. You can touch anywhere inside the very large area.

Note that the phone in the video is a demo model. I would imagine the fingerprint sensor in a shipping phone would be placed lower on the screen.

This sounds nice and all but I still prefer having a physical home button, it just felt nice to push a responsive button

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
There's not going to be both FaceID & TouchID - just TouchID. The whole point of getting a fingerprint reader under the screen is to get rid of the horrible notch. Bye bye to animoji too - and good riddance
No they won’t

Stop assuming...

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
No they won’t

Stop assuming...
that's an assumption in itself...
[automerge]1575462522[/automerge]
This will ONLY work if the the finger can be placed ANYWHERE. If not, there is no point of this I wouldn't give up Face ID for a fingerprint sensor that is fixed in a single location on the screen. I don't care if they can reduce the notch its not worth it.
if they do anywhere in the lower half it will be totally fine. you don't need a touch sensor scanning the upper half of the phone. You can't use Face ID sideways only on iPads..

Last edited:
Reactions: mag33

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
One of the reasons I prefer TouchID is the ability to unlock the phone while picking it up long before it even has to see my face. That is why it seems faster to me and why FaceID seemed so slow. Not sure how having the whole screen active for TouchID would work without the button to feel for as it might cause too many false unlocks when sometimes I just want to look at last notification without unlocking.

Reactions: mag33

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.

How would that work without a button? Remember the article suggests it would be built into the screen.
[automerge]1575465509[/automerge]
I am firmly in camp Face ID. It works well, and isn't anymore inconvenient than Touch ID.

Last edited:

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Bring back TouchID, kill the notch, remove expensive FaceID Sensors. Something like the iP7 would be wonderful. Lightweight, pleasing size, Aluminium back (never used Qi).

Reactions: xpxp2002

Strokee

Suspended
May 13, 2018
Bring back TouchID, kill the notch, remove expensive FaceID Sensors. Something like the iP7 would be wonderful. Lightweight, pleasing size, Aluminium back (never used Qi).
Sounds like you should just buy an iPhone 7, lol.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Whenever someone says there is a risk of something being pushed, it always ends up being pushed... Come to think of it, things end up being pushed even when release dates are certain.

12" MacBook, Skylake MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, 16" MacBook Pro, iPad Pro - all come to mind. Personally I'm not expecting any fingerprint scanners in 2020 iPhones, if at all. ;)
Those are the worst examples of delayed apple products. Better examples are:
HomePod:Announced to be released in December 2017, actually shipped n Feb 2018
Mac Pro: Announced to be released fall 2019, still waiting on December 4
AirPlay 2: Announced June 2017, shipped in May 2018
iMessage in the Cloud
iPhone X: Shipped 2 months later than usual
[automerge]1575469403[/automerge]
The 12 inch MacBook shipped in April 2015, just as rumored. The 16 inch MacBook Pro shipped in Q4 2019, just as rumored.
[automerge]1575469542[/automerge]
And the iPad Pro has always been on an eighteen month upgrade cycle.
November 2015
June 2017
November 2018
The next update will be between March and June of 2020, right on schedule

Reactions: smulji

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
Face ID works fine, almost 100% of the time. Technology is fine, the idea itself is not fine, what bothers me personally;
1) Can't open phone while having part off the cafe covered, for example with a scarf outside or with pillow, while in bed
2) Distracts from surroundings- try unlocking phone, while public skating, or biking, or doing whatever needs your attention
3) More uncomfortable, while using Apple Pay. I could just put my hand in my pocket, 2x click side button, and directly put it on POS teminal.

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
We should just get ahead of the curve and jump right into DNA. SalivaID is where it's at!

Fabulous idea! To prevent others from using your AirPods, they should have EarWax ID, I mean, what are the chances of others having exactly the same ear wax as you? I would guess 1:1 000 000 minimum.

Reactions: Unity451
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.