Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
Face ID works on my Bike. Face ID works when i'm sweaty. Face ID works at my Desk. Face ID works when i'm lying down in bed. FACE ID WORKS

Touch ID was awful and never worked for me. The amount of people that hate Face ID here is staggering. I don't get it. What are you doing wrong?

Facial and fingerprint sensors success rates aren't inconsistent because people are doing things wrong. They are inconsistent because people have different faces and fingerprints. It is just foolish to presume biometric security that works well for one person must absolutely work equally well for all people.

Ideally, future iPhones will have multiple options for biometric identification. Let people use what works best for them. Let people have multiple options active at the same time.

Reactions: redfirebird08

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
With how buggy iOS13 has been, i wouldn't be surprised if springboard crashed on iOS14 if you tried to unlock the phone with your finger/face at the same time....
[automerge]1575408255[/automerge]
While I prefer face id, I hate having to raise the phone up so the sensors can scan my face... especially if the phone is flat on my wireless charger, or i'm on my bed. Would be nice to have both features, so I don't have to awkwardly position the phone to scan my face, especially in the middle of the night. Lame.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to use FaceID/TouchID to secure certain apps, such as messages/whatsapp apps from prying eyes. Jail-broken iOS devices have had this ability for several years, yet the mainstream OS doesn't....
[automerge]1575408400[/automerge]

Darth is so badass he doesn't need to lock his phone, lol.
You know what solves the FLAT wireless charging pad issue? Get one that is at an angle and actually stands your phone upright... I have a samsung wireless charging pad that’s angled perfectly to tap the screen and have it unlock instantly without taking the phone off

Reactions: NetMage

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
They can make it as fancy and hi-tech as they like. But, for all practical purposes, I am one of those who don't have fingerprints.

I mean, I literally have them, but they are so faint as to be useless. Yet to meet a machine that can read mine consistently. Don't even waste my time trying with my iPhone, just use the 6 digit numerical code.

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
So buy a $10 desk stand for your phone. I did.

Shockingly, people who are not you have different lives than you, and thus would prefer different solutions than you. Maybe that person has many desks. Maybe they have a large work area they move back and forth on. Maybe they like the freedom of setting their phone wherever it is convenient, instead of on a stand.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I’m happy with Face ID, but full screen fingerprint scanning is the only way it makes sense. Locating a specific part of the screen is useless as your phone would already be unlocked with Face ID.

Reactions: techfreak23

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Face ID works on my Bike. Face ID works when i'm sweaty. Face ID works at my Desk. Face ID works when i'm lying down in bed. FACE ID WORKS

Face ID also unlocks with other people's faces. Mod won't let me post them but just search YouTube for "faceid fail". Once that's improved then it'll be a viable alternative to fingerprint.

LDN

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.

I can't think of a situation where I want to get my phone out to use it for something, but I can't look at it.

Reactions: NetMage

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Apple has really put their foot in their mouth if they decide to resurrect Touch ID. Since the iPhone X was released they’ve continually affirmed that they’re now fully committed to Face ID and that Touch ID is in the past. If this really happens, it must mean that Face ID was not received as well as they had hoped for. I personally have no issues with it, as I completely skipped over all of Apple’s Touch ID phones when I upgraded from my iPhone 5 to a X. Lol...

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Problem with underscreen touch id is there isnt a phisical button so lock button will still doing all this functions...

I hope they don't do that. I would hope that they'd do it the way they currently do Apple Pay with Touch ID. They could give you a target zone to place your finger to authorize the transaction.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Touch ID > Face ID. One of the things that confuses me most is that people seem to talk as if Face ID requires no touching of the phone. You still have to swipe up. You still need your fingers to interact with the phone, whether your fingers are wet, wintry dry, etc. You still need to take off your gloves (unless you've got those capacitive ones) to unlock the phone.

Touch ID doesn't require you tilt your head and hover over your phone while it lays flat on a table. Touch ID was far superior on Apple Pay as the "sensing" of NFC and authenticating the payment all happened with one gesture. The double tapping the power button is clunky and half the time I take a screen shot as I squeeze the power button and barely squeeze the volume button. Happens all the time.

Touch ID is a much more seamless experience than Face ID. Both require you to touch the screen, why not just let it be the one that doesn't require odd angles and the correct sunlight?

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I wish they’d go back to fingerprint. But I don’t see it coming soon because they just ran an ad that said “Face ID is however much better and more secure than Touch ID.”

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Face ID also unlocks with other people's faces. Mod won't let me post them but just search YouTube for "faceid fail". Once that's improved then it'll be a viable alternative to fingerprint.
And a synthetic fingerprint can unlock a phone with touch id. Pick your poison. I would like to see someone else's face unlock my phone, if it is that easy.
[automerge]1575427426[/automerge]
Touch ID > Face ID. One of the things that confuses me most is that people seem to talk as if Face ID requires no touching of the phone. You still have to swipe up. You still need your fingers to interact with the phone, whether your fingers are wet, wintry dry, etc. You still need to take off your gloves (unless you've got those capacitive ones) to unlock the phone.

Touch ID doesn't require you tilt your head and hover over your phone while it lays flat on a table. Touch ID was far superior on Apple Pay as the "sensing" of NFC and authenticating the payment all happened with one gesture. The double tapping the power button is clunky and half the time I take a screen shot as I squeeze the power button and barely squeeze the volume button. Happens all the time.

Touch ID is a much more seamless experience than Face ID. Both require you to touch the screen, why not just let it be the one that doesn't require odd angles and the correct sunlight?
When I'm working at my desk and the notifications come into the lock screen, I glance at the phone and the phone unlocks, after which I can determine if I need to interact with the phone.

There's all sorts of use cases and one can make up as wide or narrow use case as they want.

As far as apple pay, with face id I authenticate by double clicking the home button prior to checkout and then tap the phone to the terminal. As it becomes muscle memory after a while, I never take a screen shot.

Hyperchaotic

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2005
My guess is this is for the iPhone SE 2? Note the rumors are saying that it sill uses Touch ID. But Apple might want to put edge to edge screen to make all the iPhone lineup look similar.

Not if the SE2 is on the market in Q1, as the design phase would probably have ended half a year ago. Unless ofcourse SE2 will be much later in 2020 than rumored.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Good. FaceID is one of the biggest steps backwards in terms of UX that's Apple's ever made.
I’m completely convinced the only people making this argument are people with iPhones that still have home buttons. Those fine individuals that want to live on the cusp of technology with the latest iPhone, but resist anything that even remotely resembles change. Face ID is just as fast, and once you adjust you’ll see it’s even more seamless than Touch ID, especially when entering passwords. The only time it fails, is when I’m covering the camera with my hand or when I get distracted and look away. But that’s not even the draw. It’s way more secure. Kids may be like who cares, but you’ll change your tune soon enough. These phones hold credit card info, bank accounts, SSN, passwords, medical records, you name it. You could have some real damage done. I‘m honestly really shocked we are still talking about Touch ID. But I’ll be even more shocked if the iPhone ever has touch ID again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
no notch? No forced face scans? Get back the option to cover your devices camera (Like Zuckerberg does)?
Yes please!

i never understood people who were happy with face ID, there are a lot of times when my iDevice is laying beside me or on a table and I unlock it with my finger, how does it work with FaceID? Do I have to pick it up and face it directly to unlock it and put it down again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.