Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.
Why unlock it at all if you’re not going to look at it.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I have no objection to adding under screen TouchID for those who want it, but I personally much prefer FaceID. It may also be something Apple is considering for a lower end SE3.

Reactions: NetMage

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
FaceID works maybe 20% of the time for me, and that's with attention turned off. FaceID just doesn't work in the real world. The range is minimal so you need the phone close to your face to work, it's crappy when your phone is sitting on a desk and you get a notification, you have to pick it up to be able to see them, vs just laying your finger on the the TouchID ring. I've typed my passcode too many times in the last 2 years since I got my iPhoneX. Maybe because I have a beard, wear hats, often sunglasses and goggles (snowboarding), but seriously FaceID is a total failure in my opinion. It's too bad because I love everything else about the X.

If they bring back TouchID and FaceID in one phone, awesome. Because 80% of the time when FaceID fails, now I could just put my finger on the display once, instead of 8 times to type in my passcode.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
So we have a less secure method for keeping our phones locked. Kind of stupid, really.

i suppose a user could set it to require both faceID and touchID in which case, it would probably be more secure than either..

(personally, i’m ok with just faceID.. just sayin)

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
FaceID fails at least 30% of the time on my iPhone X. It's really frustrating, especially using Apple Pay. There's also no way to force a "retry" of FaceID, or to stop it from trying to scan my face when I know it's not going to work (usually when I'm wearing sunglasses). Has it really gotten that much better in one generation?

No it stalls on me all the time on my 11's just like the last two generations. Angles have been better but it still sometimes hangs. I've been able to type in my passcode faster than it would recognize my face. Sometimes it works flawless other times it just is a dud. I would love to have both options in the future for sure as it was such a convenience to be able to unlock remotely by reaching over.

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
If they bring back TouchID and FaceID in one phone, awesome. Because 80% of the time when FaceID fails, now I could just put my finger on the display once, instead of 8 times to type in my passcode.

This! I don’t think I have a problematic face but FaceID fails so often on my XS Max. Too dark? Fails. Too bright? Fails. Hat or beanie? Fails. Scarf? Fails. High jacket? Fails. Wrong angle? fails. I type in my code all the time. My P30 Pro with under display fps rarely ever fails, so I‘m all for it!

Reactions: xpxp2002 and CIA

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I didn’t like Face ID at the start because it was too slow but since ios13 and the speed improvements it’s much better now and better than Touch ID in my opinion.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I know they'll keep the front facing cameras for other, photographic purposes, but I can't wait to see Apple backtrack Face ID. Touch ID for security was a much easier experience.

I have to disagree, Touch ID had many more failed attempts than Face ID for me.
[automerge]1575405888[/automerge]
This! I don’t think I have a problematic face but FaceID fails so often on my XS Max. Too dark? Fails. Too bright? Fails. Hat or beanie? Fails. Scarf? Fails. High jacket? Fails. Wrong angle? fails. I type in my code all the time. My P30 Pro with under display fps rarely ever fails, so I‘m all for it!

it can’t fail because it’s dark. That’s not haw it works.

Reactions: NetMage

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
it would be great if they added it back, but kept it along side face id. in the winter time you can't use touch id because of gloves, but sometimes it's very nice to have.

Reactions: techfreak23

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Just think, Darth Vader can't use TouchID or FaceID.
Darth Vader was a high-level Jedi, on the level of Yoda. S**t he could do with mind is far more powerful than any smartphone. I'd walk around looking like him if I had his powers.

Ronald Reagan

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
I really hope this is one of those rumors that turns out to be false or one that gets scrapped, after using this feature on a Samsung work phone.

It feels like a step backwards. It’s less reliable, less convenient, and doesn’t work with tempered glass (and the Samsung is already much more susceptible to breakage due to their questionable curved-edge screens).

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
I definitely prefer touch ID over Face ID.

Same. TouchID on my SE basically always works and I can usually open the phone before I am even looking at it. On my iPad, there's always a bit of annoying thing where I have to angle it at me before using it, and then sometimes that doesn't work...just a minor annoyance that was already solved by TouchID.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
It would be neat if Apple allowed us to unlock our devices using both Face ID and Touch ID... I'll take this with a smooth *cough* iOS 14 and it'll be perfect! ?
With how buggy iOS13 has been, i wouldn't be surprised if springboard crashed on iOS14 if you tried to unlock the phone with your finger/face at the same time....
[automerge]1575408255[/automerge]
While I prefer face id, I hate having to raise the phone up so the sensors can scan my face... especially if the phone is flat on my wireless charger, or i'm on my bed. Would be nice to have both features, so I don't have to awkwardly position the phone to scan my face, especially in the middle of the night. Lame.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to use FaceID/TouchID to secure certain apps, such as messages/whatsapp apps from prying eyes. Jail-broken iOS devices have had this ability for several years, yet the mainstream OS doesn't....
[automerge]1575408400[/automerge]
Just think, Darth Vader can't use TouchID or FaceID.
Darth is so badass he doesn't need to lock his phone, lol.

Last edited:

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I use Touch ID so I don't mind it and this Under Display is a welcome news for me. As for the cost of having both, we'll see if this does actually comes out and it would appease to both sides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.