Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Need this.

If I were to buy an 11 Pro tomorrow, I would use a passcode to unlock it. FaceID is not for me.

I support offering the user an array of unlock options. If I want to be 'less safe,' it's my choice and I'll make that one every time. I'm ready to smash that pre-order button if we see this feature announced.

Reactions: Phoenix1000

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
If they're just starting then it's not for this coming year. There just isn't enough time. It would be for 2021.

cbass90

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Didn’t miss the touchID since the day I received my iPhone XS Max. It hasn’t failed on me once while touchID didn’t work a lot of times. Sweaty fingers and all that
Plus dry winter fingers caused me failures also. I have never missed Touch ID for one second.
☝ This, and this. The only time I ever have any issues with FaceID is in very bright light (shining directly on the iPhone). Works surprisingly well in the dark. Since upgrading to the XR, I've had to use my PIN to unlock my phone substantially less...

If they re-introduce TouchID, they should at least retain FaceID in some, if not all, iPhones.

terandle

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Chock me up to one of the people with major reliability problems with FaceID on both my iPad and iPhone 11, thing is really bad imo. The number of times I just give up and type in my passcode is crazy (yes attention detection is off). Was also expecting FaceID to have it's 2.0 moment by now. Will take TouchID anyday + the reduced bezels that come with it.

Reactions: xpxp2002 and CC77

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If they're just starting then it's not for this coming year. There just isn't enough time. It would be for 2021.

Depends how you look at this. Designs are already finalized for the 2020 iPhone. When Apple announces the 2019 iPhones in September, they already know what the 2020 iPhones will resemble. Mass production for the 2020 iPhone won’t even start until July 2020.

Reactions: smulji

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do miss TouchID. The wider angle of FaceID on my iPad Pro was an improvement, but I still have annoying dead spots where it should be able to pick up my face.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

I doubt they are just starting this. Rumors of Apple working on in-screen fingerprint technology are years old now, and product planning I'm sure is at least 2 years ahead of time.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Under the screen fingerprinting has been rumored for the past 2 years at least.... are they going to keep rumoring it until it becomes fruition and claim "credit"?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I personally prefer FaceID because, for whatever reason, TouchID just never worked well with my fingers whereas FaceID has a nearly 100% success rate.

That said, giving people the option to have both wouldn't bother me.

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
It would be neat if Apple allowed us to unlock our devices using both Face ID and Touch ID... I'll take this with a smooth *cough* iOS 14 and it'll be perfect! ?
If you like paying $2100 for a phone, then by all means...

If they are going to do this, it won't be integrated into one phone. It will probably be an option between low end and high end units.
[automerge]1575403267[/automerge]
Under the screen fingerprinting has been rumored for the past 2 years at least.... are they going to keep rumoring it until it becomes fruition and claim "credit"?
Same rumors that was for the AirPower, this will keep being a rumor until they kill it off.

Reactions: chabig

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'd hate to have to rest my finger on the LCD to unlock it, lift my finger up, then swipe up from the bottom edge to get Home. This is where Face ID excels.

So I'd love both!

Reactions: NetMage

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I'd hate to have to rest my finger on the LCD to unlock it, lift my finger up, then swipe up from the bottom edge to get Home. This is where Face ID excels.

So I'd love both!

I suspect that it will work like on Android phones. Unlock and the screen will come up, no need to swipe up.

Reactions: BulkSlash

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Having both options, as an either/or, or a combined 2-factor for higher security scenarios, isn't the worst idea.

I wouldn't mind having both active, and it being a race-to-authenticate, so that whichever one happens first, unlocks the phone.

It would decrease the security (since fingerprint auth is 50,000 times less secure than Face ID), but I would have no problem with it. The end result user experience would be Touch ID succeeding when Face ID fails, and Face ID succeeding when Touch ID fails.

This might also allow us to get rid of the utterly stupid 'double click side button' to make a purchase. If/when you have both enabled, you 2-factor for a purchase and thats it.

Potential here with both. Lots of potential.
[automerge]1575404378[/automerge]
Dont care if its under or on top of the screen.........Just get rid of that FACE ID which in turn will remove that notch.....
Because the notch exists solely because of Face ID and couldn't possible have anything to with...you know...the camera? Last I checked the camera was there before and would still be there regardless.

Where do you people come from?

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
I prefer Face ID. Maybe I’m dull, but I don’t see the advantage to going back for fingerprints?
I prefer Face ID as well, but Apple's implementation is still not complete enough: it still can't identify me if I'm holding the device in landscape mode. Supposedly ios13 made recognition in different circumstances - e.g. while your head is laying on a pillow - better, but it didn't for me (and my iPhone X). So for times when your whole face isn't available for identification, it would be nice to have a touchid backup - if that backup was just as secure as FaceID.

Reactions: BulkSlash

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
There’s another reason to go to a full screen Touch ID sensor. It would enable the possibility of making a phone that automatically locks when an unauthorized person tries to manipulate it.

This would be a huge leap in the effort to combat anyone forcing someone to provide a biometric unlock to a device, as it could automatically lock and require a passcode as soon as someone not trained with the Touch ID sensor touches the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.