Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Hum… for all we know, they might be interested in under display fingerprint sensors for, say, the Touch Bar or something else. FACE ID it great on the iPhone!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good. FaceID is one of the biggest steps backwards in terms of UX that's Apple's ever made.
No way. I’d never got back to a Touch ID only phone. Anyway I presume this would be for low end models that would otherwise use Touch ID. That way Apple can create a smaller phone with a larger screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetMage

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There's not going to be both FaceID & TouchID - just TouchID. The whole point of getting a fingerprint reader under the screen is to get rid of the horrible notch. Bye bye to animoji too - and good riddance

Reactions: kironin and cocoua

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
That would be a dream, a full screen iphone without notch!! And fingerprint instant access to the home screen??? ( no more extra steps) now make it 16:9 so we can use it with one hand

the return of the iphone

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I definitely prefer touch ID over Face ID.

My issue with Face ID has nothing to do with accuracy or ease of use. It's pretty accurate and easy to use, but I don't think it's as easy as Touch ID nor is it as intuitive. I just find the way the Touch ID workflows go to be easier to understand. Like, I'm never going to accidentally turn my phone off because I tried to double tap the SLEEP button to CONFIRM that I want to pay with Apple Pay and then get nervous because in my moment of confusion, I pressed the SLEEP button four times already in a short period of time and pressing it a fifth time will trigger an emergency call countdown.

Reactions: cocoua

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Nobody uses Animoji outside USA , as nobody uses iMesseges outside USA
[automerge]1575411181[/automerge]
My issue with Face ID has nothing to do with accuracy or ease of use. It's pretty accurate and easy to use, but I don't think it's as easy as Touch ID nor is it as intuitive. I just find the way the Touch ID workflows go to be easier to understand. Like, I'm never going to accidentally turn my phone off because I tried to double tap the SLEEP button to CONFIRM that I want to pay with Apple Pay and then get nervous because in my moment of confusion, I pressed the SLEEP button four times already in a short period of time and pressing it a fifth time will trigger an emergency call countdown.
Problem with underscreen touch id is there isnt a phisical button so lock button will still doing all this functions...

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I really hope this is not in replacement of Face ID.

No way it’s replacement for Face ID. That would be silly.

It may be a secondary system for those cases where you want to unlock the phone while it’s on the table and for the few people that prefer it.

Personally, I don’t care for it. Touch ID was never reliable for me, and Face ID is so good, it’s like I don’t have a password at all.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Face ID works on my Bike. Face ID works when i'm sweaty. Face ID works at my Desk. Face ID works when i'm lying down in bed. FACE ID WORKS

Touch ID was awful and never worked for me. The amount of people that hate Face ID here is staggering. I don't get it. What are you doing wrong?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Nobody uses Animoji outside USA , as nobody uses iMesseges outside USA

I live outside USA and my entire family and most of my friends from work use iMessage primarily.
[automerge]1575411667[/automerge]
Face ID works on my Bike. Face ID works when i'm sweaty. Face ID works at my Desk. Face ID works when i'm lying down in bed. FACE ID WORKS

Touch ID was awful and never worked for me. The amount of people that hate Face ID here is staggering. I don't get it. What are you doing wrong?

Vocal minority.

Touch ID was very inconsistent for me, and Face ID is literally like magic.
[automerge]1575411843[/automerge]
That would be a dream, a full screen iphone without notch!! And fingerprint instant access to the home screen??? ( no more extra steps) now make it 16:9 so we can use it with one hand

the return of the iphone

It’s going to have a notch because Face ID is not going anywhere, even if they do add Touch ID - and I doubt they found a way to have the depth camera below the glass.

Also what do you mean “the return of the iPhone”? iPhones were never as good as they are now. Apple is nailing it.

Last edited:

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
With Face ID tech. we don't need Touch ID in my opinion but with no notch we need some sort of authentication and I guess Touch ID is as good as Face ID.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Two reasons I would like Touch ID added.

Never been able to get my iPhone 11 Pro to recognize me when wearing sunglasses.

It is dangerous to try to lean over to get Face ID to work when my iPhone is mounted on the center console of my car.

Peza19

Suspended
Nov 9, 2019
If I remember correctly this will open the door to the iPhone containing your passport, although I’m not sure how many countries would accept that at their border controls? It could take a while for the idea to gain traction.
Very good security though.

Reactions: kironin

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
I prefer Face ID. Maybe I’m dull, but I don’t see the advantage to going back for fingerprints?

just was in Walgreens using Apple Pay on my XS, for the umptieth time, the multi-step forth and back and forth required of face ID and tapping the pay box at the register failed and had to start over and repeat the process again to get it to work.

This never happened with my 6S+ using the fingerprint sensor with my thumb, that was ALWAYS a flawless one step tap with my thumb on the sensor.

So yes, the frustration factor and ease of use is pretty obvious if you ever use apple pay at the grocer or other stores.
or when face id fails in the morning because of swelling.

Yes. Bring back a snappy fingerprint sensor!

Reactions: xpxp2002

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
clearly fake news, because apple told us that faceid is much more accurate than a fingerprint scanner.

what's next? they're gonna reintroduce the headphone jack? now that would be brave of them.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
clearly fake news, because apple told us that faceid is much more accurate than a fingerprint scanner.

what's next? they're gonna reintroduce the headphone jack? now that would be brave of them.
They never said it was more accurate. They said it was more secure.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Having both options, as an either/or, or a combined 2-factor for higher security scenarios, isn't the worst idea.

I wouldn't mind having both active, and it being a race-to-authenticate, so that whichever one happens first, unlocks the phone.

It would decrease the security (since fingerprint auth is 50,000 times less secure than Face ID), but I would have no problem with it. The end result user experience would be Touch ID succeeding when Face ID fails, and Face ID succeeding when Touch ID fails.

This might also allow us to get rid of the utterly stupid 'double click side button' to make a purchase. If/when you have both enabled, you 2-factor for a purchase and thats it.

Potential here with both. Lots of potential.
[automerge]1575404378[/automerge]

Because the notch exists solely because of Face ID and couldn't possible have anything to with...you know...the camera? Last I checked the camera was there before and would still be there regardless.

Where do you people come from?
Iphone 8 and 8 plus have face id without the Notch. Got it! Where are you people from?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Face ID is much more smarter and intuitive than Touch ID.

Face ID has notification privacy, attention aware features, and gets to know you over time.

It’s also faster. By the time you look at your iPhone it is unlocked, meaning you aren’t going to blocked by an authentication when you tap on a notification or app, or when you need to authenticate for Siri commands or HomeKit devices.

But it would be nice to have Touch ID too, sometimes I like to cross dress and my face isn’t always getting scanned when I change the shape of my face. It’s also good if you wanna unlock your device without looking at it.

But Face ID is superior, you can unlock the device with gloves on. With Touch ID you can’t, but at least you can unlock your device with a rob mask on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.