Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Hmmmmnnnn, can't see Apple using both in the same phone, not very Apple. So, make the iPhone 8 (SE) update an all screen device with the in screen sensor.....or make the iPhone 11 follow on use an in screen fingerprint scanner instead of FaceID? Which makes more sense?

Since face ID is so entrenched in the newer iPhone's I'd vote for the 8 SE becoming an all screen device and getting this. (although alot of folks just like the old style look and function, physical touchID button, of the iPhone 8 etc.) If the 8SE comes out as an all screen device (LCD retina display resolution) with updated guts at the lower price, Apple would not be able to make enough of them.

The small size of the sensor on the s10, which you couldn't actually see but had to hit with a part of your finger that was mapped, was one of the big criticisms in earlier reviews of the device (supposedly Samsung improved it's performance with updates). This new size (20mm by 30mm) is big enough for full fingerprints and would make it work alot better (nowhere close to full display of course).

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
You don't need to find anything since you can go by feel and fingerprint is faster to unlock coming out of pocket. Also, it doesn't require taking eyes off or turning your head away from whatever you're doing/looking at to unlock.
Feel? Here we are talking under the display and if that area is not at least 30% of the bottom of the display, you cant do it
here we are talking about under the display touchid, not the old home button
and people dont need to unlock the phone without looking at it..they look at it because they need it

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Unless it’s as quick as the current version of Touch ID, I don’t want it. FaceID works much better for me and how I use my phone than Touch ID ever did. Probably the reason they pushed to get rid of 3D Touch. I don’t think it’s worth it... Haptic Touch has been killing me on this 11 Pro.

Reactions: NetMage

CC77

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
Chicago, IL
Didn’t miss the touchID since the day I received my iPhone XS Max. It hasn’t failed on me once while touchID didn’t work a lot of times. Sweaty fingers and all that

FaceID fails at least 30% of the time on my iPhone X. It's really frustrating, especially using Apple Pay. There's also no way to force a "retry" of FaceID, or to stop it from trying to scan my face when I know it's not going to work (usually when I'm wearing sunglasses). Has it really gotten that much better in one generation?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Feel? Here we are talking under the display and if that area is not at least 30% of the bottom of the display, you cant do it
here we are talking about under the display touchid, not the old home button
and people dont need to unlock the phone without looking at it..they look at it because they need it

We don't know how large the area is yet and there were rumors of full screen fingerprint.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Huge move if this is true, but I’m perfectly content with face ID. It’s advanced pretty quickly with iOS 13 improvements and it has some really unique features behind it. What we do know, is Face ID is just getting started for its potential for the future.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Why? Touch ID is like bringing back floppy discs or CD roms.
In the Apple Watch screen, yeah that makes sense.
In iPhones and iPads? No, it makes no sense.
FaceID is more secure, quicker and less prone to failure.
We have had bloat software, this would be bloat hardware.
It would annoy me that I was paying for extra tech in my phone that I didn't use.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
FaceID fails at least 30% of the time on my iPhone X. It's really frustrating, especially using Apple Pay. There's also no way to force a "retry" of FaceID, or to stop it from trying to scan my face when I know it's not going to work (usually when I'm wearing sunglasses). Has it really gotten that much better in one generation?
At least 30% failure was my experience with Touch ID. Probably, at least 50% failure. Worked almost perfectly on the iPad. Not sure why it failed so much on the phone. But, it did for me.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I definitely prefer touch ID over Face ID.

I would like to see Touch ID evolve the point where the phone's outer shell can identify you from the electrical signals passing through your skin. The Apple Watch can do this now with the help of the heart rate monitor. But presently, I prefer Face ID over Touch ID because it's much closer to being "invisible". It just works, but with caveats, such as having to be facing you.

Reactions: NetMage

breather

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Face ID is superior in my mind, the only way Touch ID could be relevant again is if they put it under the whole screen. And it would have to be super-duper fast and secure AF.

Never had major issues with FaceID really, maybe I had foggy glasses in the cold, no biggie really.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why? Touch ID is like bringing back floppy discs or CD roms.
In the Apple Watch screen, yeah that makes sense.
In iPhones and iPads? No, it makes no sense.
FaceID is more secure, quicker and less prone to failure.
We have had bloat software, this would be bloat hardware.
It would annoy me that I was paying for extra tech in my phone that I didn't use.

Touch ID and Face ID are not equal. So many people, myself included, have our phones laying flat on a desk and want to unlock it to view something. Face ID requires the phone be picked up to unlock. I know sounds minor, but 20x a day and it becomes an annoyance.

Peter Abs

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016
Am I the only one who’d do anything for a notch-less iPhone?

If this means a notch-less display I’d take this over Face ID any day of the week! Take my money Apple!!!!

I can’t stand looking at that fcuking notch every time I use my phone and I’m too used to iOS to switch to Android (I’ve tried...) ...counting down the days till it’s gone, also not buying any new iPhones till it’s gone.

Sorry for the first world problems rant, I realise how ridiculous it sounds but we’re tech enthusiasts on an Apple forum! This is the place to discuss these things.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
The reports claim that Apple plans to use Qualcomm's ultrasonic fingerprint sensor technology in at least one iPhone model set to be released in 2020, although the timeframe could be pushed back to 2021.

Whenever someone says there is a risk of something being pushed, it always ends up being pushed... Come to think of it, things end up being pushed even when release dates are certain.

12" MacBook, Skylake MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, 16" MacBook Pro, iPad Pro - all come to mind. Personally I'm not expecting any fingerprint scanners in 2020 iPhones, if at all. ;)

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The only time I would prefer touch ID is while using Apple Pay.

I’d agree with this. I do prefer to touch ID in terms of using it for Apple Pay on my work iPhone 8+. Mainly because some of these terminals require ‘direct placement’ and just easier to have my thumb on the fingerprint sensor. Face ID works fine, but I believe touch ID is more convenient in terms of actually using it for Apple Pay for terminals.

Reactions: DeathChill and CC77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.