Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone who had m1 and now have m3, how’s it all compare?

In real world use of what you use it for, is there a noticeable difference? Benchmarks are great, x% increase over previous are great indicators, but in real world use sometimes is t too noticeable.

I have an m1 iMac, not a power user, I upgraded to 16Gb and am wondering how m3 is.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan

In real world use of what you use it for, is there a noticeable difference? Benchmarks are great, x% increase over previous are great indicators, but in real world use sometimes is t too noticeable.

I have an m1 iMac, not a power user, I upgraded to 16Gb and am wondering how m3 is.
You said it yourself, ”not a power user”. I had my first iMac 20” 2007 for 8 years, I still have a 2018 Mac mini and use it. Don’t chase the upgrades unless you just like throwing money away. These desktops are made to last and be efficient for 5 + years. Wait for M5 ;)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You said it yourself, ”not a power user”. I had my first iMac 20” 2007 for 8 years, I still have a 2018 Mac mini and use it. Don’t chase the upgrades unless you just like throwing money away. These desktops are made to last and be efficient for 5 + years. Wait for M5 ;)

I agree, but just wondering. I wouldn’t anyway as Apple been lazy imo on this “upgrade”.

To not even get all USB-C accessories, or drop the 2 only ports, or not add an SD etc is poor imo. They should have at least done something other than drop m3 in. I know this must still be significant engineering, but they could have done a little more.

I had my last iMac like you for 10 years and was fine. Just was sick of slow HDD, and when Apple silicon came I wanted this for compatibility going forward.

I think I’ll wait maybe even past m5, why they don’t have SD slot for example. I have a nice stand that has SSD and added ports on.

Reactions: IngerMan

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
I did have the 2018 Mac mini but wanted to transition to the Apple Silicon era ... then I got caught up in the iMac M1 to M3 cycle ... not that anything I do would likely see much difference (just iWork applications plus Apple installed applications) ... but it did feel a little quicker from M1 to M3. Don't have numbers to back that up. I want to say my 2018 Mac mini was so cute with my 20" 1080 screen ... but going to my 24" iMac is much better on my eyes. I am happy that Apple is updating the M chips and I'll likely continue to trade up every two generations.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
8 core CPU 10 core GPU. 4 USB ports with two being Thunderbolt. Awesome machine as it takes up so little desk space. Could not stand the Apple mouse so replaced with the Logitech MX anywhere. This Logitech mouse controls my desktop, iPad and Windows laptop.

Reactions: Andrey84

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Mine just arrived. 24GB, 2TB, 8, 10, 4. Trackpad occasionally stalls or stutters. I suspect possible the iMac is busy downloading and updating everything. I can see the cores 4 of them running high. Everything else is smooth, just the trackpad a little pause once in awhile. Coming from a Late 2013 iMac...this is awesome. Added the Satechi slim dock so the desk is clean and my old drives all connect.
Satechi Slim Dock.jpg

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Mine just arrived. 24GB, 2TB, 8, 10, 4. Trackpad occasionally stalls or stutters. I suspect possible the iMac is busy downloading and updating everything. I can see the cores 4 of them running high. Everything else is smooth, just the trackpad a little pause once in awhile. Coming from a Late 2013 iMac...this is awesome. Added the Satechi slim dock so the desk is clean and my old drives all connect.
View attachment 2329576
Strange about the pauses. When I started up my iMac it didn't seem I had any pauses even though I knew it was syncing, etc.. Maybe, it was because I had so little data to sync! Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 9.44.43 AM.png

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Strange about the pauses. When I started up my iMac it didn't seem I had any pauses even though I knew it was syncing, etc.. Maybe, it was because I had so little data to sync! View attachment 2329586
Yeah I got 1TB + of iCloud stuff syncing also. Beside a few TB of Music, videos processing to Apple TV and Music apps. They are not copied but just linked to the 16TB external drive. No wonder my old Late 2013 iMac was struggling. Photos alone are huge. Use to be an Advertising/Marketing field...just can't let go of the old files and work. I like to have them around for easy access. Occasionally someone asks about it and I just bring it up and send it.

Could be my metal table. My old trackpad used to loose connection randomly then reconnects every now and then. The keyboard and mouse is on a shelf below and a big metal bar is in front of it. I forgot about that happening since I got so used to it. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: picpicmac and WC7

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
Anyone upgrade from the M1 8/512 to the M3 15/512/1TB?
Big difference?

Last edited:

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Anyone upraise from the M1 8/512 to the M3 15/512/1TB?
Big difference?
I migrated from the M1 base model to the M3 base model and it seems to feel quicker ... but I don't have any specific numbers. I think the extra memory/storage may help you, especially if you are using the machine for creative stuff ... I just don't think I come close to challenging the M3 by using the basic applications that came with the machine.

Reactions: Surfsalot

Indigovalley

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Minnesota, USA

I had an M1 with 8 GB and 256 SSD. It was the 8 CPU/8GPU model. I just upgraded to an M3 16 GB 512 SSD 8CPU/10GPU model. What I noticed immediately is that the computer is faster. Not that the M1 was excessively slow or anything but there is enough of a difference to notice. I upgraded to have a larger hard drive and more memory for some programs I run-not specifically for speed. I'm transitioning from a Dell desktop to iMac.

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
Around mid January I bought the base M1 8cpu/8gpu model (the base unit with Ethernet), in Blue. Costco had it marked down to $1K. I’ve been using it now for about a month and am very happy with it. I’m a very minor user (emails, surfing, a Word or Excel file once in a while . . .) and the only program I’ve seen with a slow startup is Turbo Tax. I think that has more to do with the program than the computer. Overall, I’m very happy with it. It does the main thing I wanted very well - it syncs with my iPhone and iPad seamlessly. I did get a usb-c hub that integrates very nicely with the base (even comes in the same Blue) and holds an M.s SSD. I put a 1TB SSD in there to hold my data. It’s a nice set up.

Reactions: WC7

signuphere

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
Ordered this from Apple:

Silver iMac​
With the following configuration:
Apple M3 chip with 8‑core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 10‑core GPU, and 16‑core Neural Engine
256GB SSD storage
24GB unified memory
Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
Two USB 3 ports
Gigabit Ethernet
Magic Mouse
Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English
Accessory Kit​
Ready for pick up today, about a week earlier than promised ready date, so a very exciting day ahead for me. Oh. I bought it sight unseen, I just knew I had to have it and it replaces a mid- '11, with a cracked screen which sealed its death (still works though). All I do is email, message boards, banking but I thought it was "cheap insurance" to go far beyond my current needs. I did cheap out on storage figuring I can always add external storage, but I never store much, so for me, a non issue. Sorry Apple, but those goofy colors are an abomination for such a clean minimalist design, so I went with silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.