Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Why is it that one post that is not in agreement with your view is termed "trolling"? I would never call out anyone's post as trolling.. They have a right to comment, if the moderator/s feel there are issues, delete the offending posts by all means..

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As for McLaren they always have a place in my heart due to Senna. I would love to see Lando win a season, British driver for a British team for once, haven’t had that in a long long time.
Lewis won 6 titles recently in a British car with Mercedes branding . That’s the funny thing about F1, the brands come and go but the teams remain British. Tyrell > BAR > Honda > Brawn > Mercedes.

At least with McLaren they’ve always been British in essence through their branding, even if Bruce all too briefly gifted them his surname.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Lewis won 6 titles recently in a British car with Mercedes branding . That’s the funny thing about F1, the brands come and go but the teams remain British. Tyrell > BAR > Honda > Brawn > Mercedes.

At least with McLaren they’ve always been British in essence through their branding, even if Bruce all too briefly gifted them his surname.
Cool

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

Haha that brand badge needs to be British too. Not that they aren't all foreign owned these days anyway. Still one day we will see a British brand and British driver win, hopefully.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

LOL by those measures as good as all F1 teams are British ;) For the actual race the national anthem being played is the clue as to how they identify.

And yes whilst the industry had a large base in the UK, my daughter works in it ;) But the workforce is very international. My daughter is Dutch and it’s a big multicultural melting pot from all around the world.

Reactions: Glideslope

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Bruce Mclaren was a New Zealand citizen...Not British, but the team was formed in the UK...
I think we are all aware of that, but McLaren is probably one of three British brands still on the grid, the others being Aston Martin and Williams.

It is still pretty cool that British teams with foreign branding are still at the top end of the grid though, we have a rich herritage in motorsport and it is one of the surviving industries here that continues to thrive.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
I think we are all aware of that, but McLaren is probably one of three British brands still on the grid, the others being Aston Martin and Williams.

It is still pretty cool that British teams with foreign branding are still at the top end of the grid though, we have a rich heritage in motorsport and it is one of the surviving industries here that continues to thrive.

Speaking of British racing, I'd love to see a British team, any one of them, use British racing green again. And no not that abomination the Jaguar used... ugh.

This:

lotus-25-1.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Speaking of British racing, I'd love to see a British team, any one of them, use British racing green again. And no not that abomination the Jaguar used... ugh.

This:

lotus-25-1.jpg
Beautiful car. My Dad took a photograph of Jim Clark sat in a similar car at the British GP in the 60's, back in the day when you could walk around and meet the drivers. He has some awesome pictures and stories from his experiences. I will try and find the Jim Clark one and share here at some point. He has photos of Graham Hill, Piers Courage, Bruce McLaren, Dan Gurney, to name a few.

Remember that Malysian company that bought the Lotus brand and launched an F1 team in that livery, only for Lotus, formerly Renault, to decide to also launch a Lotus car but in black and gold? The former was forced to re-brand as Caterham and the whole thing was an absolute abomination of a prestigious British marque. It should never have been allowed.

• Love
Reactions: Don Quixote

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Beautiful car. My Dad took a photograph of Jim Clark sat in a similar car at the British GP in the 60's, back in the day when you could walk around and meet the drivers. He has some awesome pictures and stories from his experiences. I will try and find the Jim Clark one and share here at some point. He has photos of Graham Hill, Piers Courage, Bruce McLaren, Dan Gurney, to name a few.

Remember that Malysian company that bought the Lotus brand and launched an F1 team in that livery, only for Lotus, formerly Renault, to decide to also launch a Lotus car but in black and gold? The former was forced to re-brand as Caterham and the whole thing was an absolute abomination of a prestigious British marque. It should never have been allowed.
I do. Someone I know works for Lotus, but not anything to do with racing.

Trouble with historic cars is the branding is all tied to the sponsors. JPS black and gold. Red and white for Marlboro.

Not really on message these days!

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023

Remember that Malaysian company that bought the Lotus brand and launched an F1 team in that livery, only for Lotus, formerly Renault, to decide to also launch a Lotus car but in black and gold? The former was forced to re-brand as Caterham and the whole thing was an absolute abomination of a prestigious British marque. It should never have been allowed.
Yes I do!

This is where I found that photo... if anyone wants to buy one... lol

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
Ya know I'm more drive based when it coms to "fandom".

But I do have a soft spot McLaren and Williams.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Less so for Williams since the family sold it if I’m honest.
I just can’t stand their team principle now. There is something about that James bloke that I just don’t like at all. Sure he’s got a good cv. He’s just not a team principle for F1 in my opinion. To me James is like a Dave at a car meet. Utterly boring. Not someone I respect or even would like to have a beer with.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I agree that James Vowles comes across as rather dull when interviewed during a race, but as cyb3rdud3 noted, the man has a heck of a CV behind him and his first season saw the team have their best WDC finish and points haul since 2017.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
James Vowels comes across as a Prof I would pay double to attend his lectures, I love listening to what he says, he is not preachy, has a great method, not sure how to explain, but I would listen for 90 minutes, Horner, 9 seconds, Toto, 0 seconds...

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
James Vowels comes across as a Prof I would pay double to attend his lectures, I love listening to what he says, he is not preachy, has a great method, not sure how to explain, but I would listen for 90 minutes, Horner, 9 seconds, Toto, 0 seconds...
Sure, but he is a team principal not a lecturer ;) He's great to go to when TV needs to fill some time...

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’m seeing more and more rumors and arguments that Masi maybe coming back. So far only the British press seems to not so keen. Get prepared for more drama next year and more British “fans” calling it boring and switching off.

And then the cynic in me expect little press darling Lewis to all of a sudden win a few races and everything is right again in the universe.

LOL I’ll “miss” all that in company culture as well wel when we are remigrating next year 🤣

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
And then the cynic in me expect little press darling Lewis to all of a sudden win a few races and everything is right again in the universe.
Personally, I'll be happy when Hamilton retires. The toxic culture he's brought to the sport needs to go. All the silly brand promotion, needless attention seeking, virtue signalling and crying when the rules don't suit him. That toxicity is evident everywhere in F1 now; this thread is no exception. Other drivers seem to enjoy rivalries without all the drama. Let's get back to it being about the sport, not the personalities.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I am sure that Lewis could within 24 hours raise enough funds from the many players in the NBA, NFL, various football leagues to buy out Liberty if he wanted too.. He could form a new league in 1 day, buy tracks for next to nothing, I am sure get LIV golf owners to back him, he could have a new format/season formed.. I am sure hundreds would join him.. I hope he does, F1 needs competition, like what LIV has found.. Why not, what has he to loose? Nothing, F1 titles are meaningless, pointless, prove nothing..

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
I hope he does, F1 needs competition
I hope he doesn't. The last thing F1 needs is a Lewis Hamilton style makeover. Can you imagine?? Ugh. F1 needs to be all about the best drivers in the best cars, not loads of pointless Vegas style distractions. LIV is one of the very worst examples you could possibly have used. It's little more than sportswashing for dirty money.

No; Lewis retires, and we can go back to concentrating on the racing and not the sideshow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.