Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
@pencils
The other major sports have had a "three-peater". Why not the NFL?

Because the NFL is one and done in the playoffs. You can have a bad game in the NHL or NBA playoffs, and still win it all. In the NFL though, a bad game means you are done. Baseball though is a little different, as it is more prone to upsets, unlike the NHL or NBA.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Baseball though is a little different, as it is more prone to upsets, unlike the NHL or NBA.

Not sure they are actual upsets. We rank teams by how they do in the regular season. So take a team with a 5-man rotation where 4 & 5 suck. This hurts their regular season W-L totals.

But get to the playoffs where they can just pitch 1-3, including #1 maybe 3 times in a 7-game series and they become a different team.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Because the NFL is one and done in the playoffs. You can have a bad game in the NHL or NBA playoffs, and still win it all. In the NFL though, a bad game means you are done. Baseball though is a little different, as it is more prone to upsets, unlike the NHL or NBA.
Pretty much sums up why the NFL is so difficult.

Reactions: pachyderm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So it seems Jimmy G got caught with PEDs in his system and isn't going to contest it. The various news sites are speculating that the Raiders can void his contract. I haven't heard of a team doing that, and to be honest it doesn't sound right.

I'm no Jimmy G fan, and I think his days of being a starter are over but something about teams voiding players contracts doesn't sit well with me.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So it seems Jimmy G got caught with PEDs in his system and isn't going to contest it. The various news sites are speculating that the Raiders can void his contract. I haven't heard of a team doing that, and to be honest it doesn't sound right.

I'm no Jimmy G fan, and I think his days of being a starter are over but something about teams voiding players contracts doesn't sit well with me.

I would think the NFLPA wouldn't/shouldn't have agreed to that in the contract.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would think the NFLPA wouldn't/shouldn't have agreed to that in the contract.
I totally agree, but I keep hearing it from many news outlets. I guess time will tell of that's the case, they need to cut him some time in March or they'll be the hook for some $$

Reactions: Rafterman

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I'd rather them draft every single top rated OL.

If they can block for AO'C he might be decent...

Part of one season isn't enough to judge AO'C, especially when the rest of the team was decidedly mediocre....so yes, they should concentrate on improving other aspects of their team before deciding to move on to another QB.

But since pro football teams tend to be irrational about the QB position, maybe they'll end up with Russell Wilson this Fall

• Haha

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Part of one season isn't enough to judge AO'C, especially when the rest of the team was decidedly mediocre....so yes, they should concentrate on improving other aspects of their team before deciding to move on to another QB.

But since pro football teams tend to be irrational about the QB position, maybe they'll end up with Russell Wilson this Fall
AP has stayed its AOC job to lose this off season and camps so we'll see

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
100%. In a best of seven, the better team normally wins out. In a one and done, one bad game by the wrong player screws everything up.

Reactions: Rafterman

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
True.

But the toll that the game of tackle football takes on the human body prevents them from doing anything more than a one and done system.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So what's up with Caleb Williams, there are red flags abound with him. He refused to have his medical records released, he also denied any requests for a physical. He was reportedly wanting part ownership for any team that drafts him. He only has a small handful of teams he is willing to play for. He seems to be arrogant and not really putting his best foot forward.

In all honesty, I think the bears are better off trading the #1 pick for a mess of other picks and build the team up, instead of selecting one person - particularly Williams.

I think Fields still deserves a chance and he has a better attitude, with a better team around him his numbers would improve imo. Yet I really don't expect the Bears to do the right thing, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.