Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
What are everyone's thoughts on Caleb Williams?

I am starting to see some analysts come right out and use the "B" word - Bust.

He has talent no question, but will/can he play up to it is going to be the determining factor.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I'm going with the historical trend. USC isn't fabled as a QB factory. Of the 5 first round QB selected from USC since 1975, only Carson Palmer lived up to the 1st round pedigree. If rumors of Williams' arrogance is true, Chicago would do well to trade out of the #1 spot and/or build around Fields. Confidence is good, arrogance isn't.

Todd Marinovich, selected ahead of Brett Farve, lasted 3 years in the league. Matt Leinart started 18 games in the league; sub .500 record. Mark "the Sanchize" Sanchez is best known for his awesome nickname🥳 and butt fumble😯. Sam Darnold bounced around the league and might be a career back up if the stars align.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I think his dad is hurting him as much as anything. The rumored demands are just off the chart.

It's like we are seeing the whole LaVar Ball thing all over again except this time it is the NFL which is way more stuffy than the NBA.

Going to Chicago certainly won't help his career. Now Washington and Kliff Kingbury might be able to put that talent to good use.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Going to Chicago certainly won't help his career.
Absolutely, and he may try for a eli manning trade me or else demand, which I won't put past him. I still think Chicago is better off trading their #1 pick for a bunch of lower picks and build the team around Fields. They really have nothing to lose by sticking with fields and improving the team.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going with the historical trend. USC isn't fabled as a QB factory. Of the 5 first round QB selected from USC since 1975, only Carson Palmer lived up to the 1st round pedigree. If rumors of Williams' arrogance is true, Chicago would do well to trade out of the #1 spot and/or build around Fields. Confidence is good, arrogance isn't.

Todd Marinovich, selected ahead of Brett Farve, lasted 3 years in the league. Matt Leinart started 18 games in the league; sub .500 record. Mark "the Sanchize" Sanchez is best known for his awesome nickname🥳 and butt fumble😯. Sam Darnold bounced around the league and might be a career back up if the stars align.
The Sanchize - also won 4 road playoff games in his first 2 seasons in the league, beating the likes of peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers... and he went to back to back AFC championship games.... I could see why you left that out though, it didnt really fit your narrative.

Reactions: pachyderm

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

I am starting to see some analysts come right out and use the "B" word - Bust.

He has talent no question, but will/can he play up to it is going to be the determining factor.

I thought he regressed a little from the previous year.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Honestly, Justin Fields might still turn out, if they put a team around him. I can't see Williams being a huge upgrade over Fields.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
The Sanchize - also won 4 road playoff games in his first 2 seasons in the league, beating the likes of peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers... and he went to back to back AFC championship games.... I could see why you left that out though, it didnt really fit your narrative.
If I recall, those wins came on the strength of the running game and a dominant defense. Check out his stat line. Well below average. I found this opinion piece on the Sanchize from his playing days. The author said the Jets was loaded with talent at the time, just not at QB1.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
...Todd Marinovich, selected ahead of Brett Farve, lasted 3 years in the league....
Todd....now that was a sad situation. He may have only lasted 3 years but I think that was more the result of the vast amount of recreational drugs he was using as opposed to any lack of talent.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Could Jayden Daniels (#2 ranked) be the next CJ Stroud? Stroud was the #2 ranked, behind Young, with Young being the consensus #1. But Stroud snuck it at 2, and tore it up. Young...not so much.

I see parallels between Williams and Daniels. Hopefully, Williams will fare better than Young did last year.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Todd....now that was a sad situation. He may have only lasted 3 years but I think that was more the result of the vast amount of recreational drugs he was using as opposed to any lack of talent.
Yeah he went nuts after he got away from his *ssh*le dad.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
If they reach the NFL level, there is no doubting the talent. During the draft, people were saying Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were equally talented. Talent they can measure. It's that quality that couldn't be measured that made a 6th rounder and Mr. Irrelevant the best QB in their draft. Even the NFL GMs say that picking a QB is a 50/50 proposition.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
If they reach the NFL level, there is no doubting the talent. During the draft, people were saying Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were equally talented. Talent they can measure. It's that quality that couldn't be measured that made a 6th rounder and Mr. Irrelevant the best QB in their draft. Even the NFL GMs say that picking a QB is a 50/50 proposition.

Clearly drafting a QB is a gamble and not an exact science. It's never clear as to how a college player will respond to the Pro environment, and when it comes clear, it's too late.

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I seeing rumor reports saying Russell Wilson wants to sign with Pittsburgh but then there are reports saying the Steelers aren't interested in signing him.....or Cousins, or Mayfield, or Justin Fields.

The Raiders were 3-1 against the Broncos while Wilson was with Denver. So, are the Raiders actually interested in him?

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I think Williams carried USC in his first year, and regressed in his second year. The horrible defense also got worse.

There are no guarantees college success translates to the NFL, and what makes it harder for QBs is that they're thrown into situations as saviors on poor teams, which is a challenge that most can't overcome, and effectively kills careers.

One factor that might help Williams is his tutledge under Lincoln Riley, who produced Mayfield, Murray and Hurts.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Rumor: Russell Wilson to Pittsburgh.

Hmmm...

It could be a good spot for Wilson. Pittsburgh had the best record of the teams that get mentioned as possible landing spots for him. At this point in his career, I suspect Wilson needs to go to a team that's already a playoff team.

But would Wilson go there if he doesn't get assurances that he'll be the starter?

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
It could be a good spot for Wilson. Pittsburgh had the best record of the teams that get mentioned as possible landing spots for him. At this point in his career, I suspect Wilson needs to go to a team that's already a playoff team.

But would Wilson go there if he doesn't get assurances that he'll be the starter?

Surely he'd be the starter ...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Rumor: Russell Wilson to Pittsburgh.

Hmmm...
I was about to say that its probably not going to happen, and then on google, I see Wilson is preparing to meet with them. He can play for the league minimum since he doesn't want to help Denver, i.e., salary offset.

Rumors seems to be cooling on the Steelers making a play for Fields, so bringing Wilson in may make sense.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

I was surprised Sean Peyton wasn't able to stop some of Russell's diva nonsense, but maybe it was because Russell was already there.

If he goes to Pittsburgh, there is no way Tomlin will allow it.

And unless the Steeler's find another QB along the way, Russell will be the starter. He could beat the other two out with an eye patch over one eye.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
And unless the Steeler's find another QB along the way, Russell will be the starter. He could beat the other two out with an eye patch over one eye.
He may win the job, but can Russell still play at like he did in Seattle? He was awful the first year in Denver and average his second/last year.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think Russell Wilson is washed up. I wouldn't be surprised if he can't catch on with another team. He's ruined his reputation as a nice guy, now he's just full of himself. Any team that signs him would be taking a big risk, and they know how it worked out in Denver. I wouldn't touch him.

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.