Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I was surprised by Saquon going to the Eagles... I had him pegged to the Texans for sure. Now he gets to stick it to the Giants twice a year.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, Hackett wasn’t a good coach. But it was Russell that threw just 16 TDs & 11 INTs.

I think it says a lot about the league’s perception of Russell in that the best he could find was a one year deal at minimum salary.

I wonder if that is more Russell than what was available. Of course he was going to sign for the minimum as the Bronco's are paying him $39M. With offsets, some team would have to pay him over the $39M for him to see a dime more money. So he takes a cap friendly contract and a 1-year deal hoping to prove himself and get another long-term deal for '25 and on.

Reactions: RokinAmerica

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I wonder if that is more Russell than what was available. Of course he was going to sign for the minimum as the Bronco's are paying him $39M. With offsets, some team would have to pay him over the $39M for him to see a dime more money. So he takes a cap friendly contract and a 1-year deal hoping to prove himself and get another long-term deal for '25 and on.
Not surprised about the low salary, I am somewhat surprised by the length of the deal.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Looks like the Broncos are all in for getting a QB in the draft.
Vikings might still be interested in one as well... I don't think Darnold was signed with the intention of having him start.... Broncos and Vikings will probably play a game of cat and mouse seeing who will trade up and where to get a QB.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I’m hoping for another year of football fans to complain. Doubly so if she does the superbowl halftime
Could you imagine if she does the halftime show and the chiefs 3-peat! Some peoples heads might literally explode lol.

jpohio

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
Watson deal might be the worst trade in NFL history - he has looked dismal so far. Now they walk away from Flacco and sign Jameis, who tried to steal crab legs from Publix. Welcome to the factory of sadness...

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Watson deal might be the worst trade in NFL history - he has looked dismal so far. Now they walk away from Flacco and sign Jameis, who tried to steal crab legs from Publix. Welcome to the factory of sadness...
They had to get rid of Flacco, can you imagine if Watson struggles, the fans would be chanting for Flacco. This is a do or die year for watson, he has to stay healthy and he has perform as he used to as a Texan.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The Broncos trade for Russell Wilson is a close second.

Reactions: Herdfan

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Not surprised about the low salary, I am somewhat surprised by the length of the deal.

Would you sign Wilson to more than a 1-year deal?

Or Darnold?

Or probably Garoppolo, who's likely destined for some backup role anyway (and will have to sit out a two game suspension before doing anything else).

All three gotta prove they can (still) play.

Desperation abounds.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Would you sign Wilson to more than a 1-year deal?
Wilson is getting paid by the broncos, so signing anything longer then one year makes little sense to both team and player. Plus given his performance on and off the field with the broncos, its best to play on a single year and showcase his abilities

Or Darnold?
I feel the Darnold signing makes no sense to me. Maybe he'll excel there, but he's just been a draft bust, and while I may not be a Cousin's fan, he did a good job in Minn. Maybe they want to tank for next year's draft, though I don't know if the coach has that latitude at this point

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So it looks like three teams are over the cap at the start of the 2024 league year.

Will the NFL do anything to them, or just take a blind eye?
1710409794744.png

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Wilson is getting paid by the broncos, so signing anything longer then one year makes little sense to both team and player. Plus given his performance on and off the field with the broncos, its best to play on a single year and showcase his abilities

I feel the Darnold signing makes no sense to me. Maybe he'll excel there, but he's just been a draft bust, and while I may not be a Cousin's fan, he did a good job in Minn. Maybe they want to tank for next year's draft, though I don't know if the coach has that latitude at this point

I don't think they brought Darnold in with the intention of making him the starter.. 10Mil is backup QB money... I am pretty sure they are going to try and draft a QB and have Darnold as an experienced backup..... As for losing cousins, I don't think they had a choice there... Many reports a few weeks back already had him making up his mind to go to ATL... His wife is from there and I'm sure unless Minn gave him waaaay more money that's where he was going regardless.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think they brought Darnold in with the intention of making him the starter.. 10MM is backup QB money... I am pretty sure they are going to try and draft a QB and have Darnold as an experienced backup
I would hope not, but their draft prospects (for a QB) are kind poor - unless they try to move up the board, they're picking #11. I'm sure there will be a number of talented QBs available but not one would transform into a franchise QB. I get that Brady, Rogers and others were drafted later in their respective drafts but I think things have changed enough that after the first few rounds you'll not get a QB ready to start.

As for losing cousins, I don't think they had a choice there.
I go back and forth on this, I really don't know what to think. On one hand, I think they made up their mind not to pursue him, but on the other hand they probably didn't want to pay him a lot of money, given his age, and his failure to bring the team into the playoffs.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I don't think they brought Darnold in with the intention of making him the starter.. 10Mil is backup QB money... I am pretty sure they are going to try and draft a QB and have Darnold as an experienced backup.....

I would hope not, but their draft prospects (for a QB) are kind poor - unless they try to move up the board, they're picking #11. I'm sure there will be a number of talented QBs available but not one would transform into a franchise QB...

Last season the Vikings demonstrated how poor their QB situation was (and still is) without Cousins. They're desperate now and given the number of "didn't work out" drafted quarterbacks that exist, the situation doesn't look good for them getting lucky with finding an immediate starter QB in the upcoming draft.

Darnold may well turn out to be their starter

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.