Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
This is a head scratcher for me. Why? WHY?😵 If he had stayed a Steelers, he would have a shot at the starting job again in a year or two.

Getting traded to the Eagles was one of the worse landing spot for him. They have a young top 10 QB in Hurts. The chances of Pickett starting any time soon is practically zero.😩 He's setting himself up as a career back up or at best a well travelled journeyman eg Tyrod Taylor, Fitzmagic/Fitztragic, Josh McCown.
i wouldn't be mad at all the free money he gets as a journeyman, lets not act like hes not making millions upon millions to just sit with a clip board , sign me up

Reactions: pachyderm

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
This is a head scratcher for me. Why? WHY?😵 If he had stayed a Steelers, he would have a shot at the starting job again in a year or two.

Getting traded to the Eagles was one of the worse landing spot for him. They have a young top 10 QB in Hurts. The chances of Pickett starting any time soon is practically zero.😩 He's setting himself up as a career back up or at best a well travelled journeyman eg Tyrod Taylor, Fitzmagic/Fitztragic, Josh McCown.

Allegedly, Pickett was causing locker room problems.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

Certainly there was some of Pickett's offended ego involved...but I wonder if the Steelers told him that he would be competing with Fields for the main backup role?

I suspect that Pickett decided that the Steelers management had completely written him off.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I would be happy to have a 10-year career as a backup journeyman. :)
i wouldn't be mad at all the free money he gets as a journeyman, lets not act like hes not making millions upon millions to just sit with a clip board , sign me up
I'm sure most of us would love to get that kind of money for holding a clipboard.😉 The only prerequisite is to be one of the top 60 quarterbacks worldwide.🤨 If you're that good, you would be motivated to breach the top 30.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
NFL owners have voted to ban the hip-drop tackle.

Sort of. I think.

The story I read says for there to be violation, the tackler must land on the runner's lower legs. I have seen many hip-drop tackles where the tackler doesn't land on the lower legs. So not sure if both or just one will be a violation.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
JJ McCarthy keeps climbing the rankings. Not sure why, when I see JJ, I see Mack Jones Part II. He worked in that system, but that doesn't translate to NFL success. Though to be fair to Mack, I think Belichick ruined him.

Reactions: Herdfan

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
JJ McCarthy keeps climbing the rankings. Not sure why, when I see JJ, I see Mack Jones Part II. He worked in that system, but that doesn't translate to NFL success. Though to be fair to Mack, I think Belichick ruined him.

Yeah, last I saw was one of the heads predicted him to go to Washington at #2.

Still think Williams will be a bust though. And Bo Nix will be RoY. Might not have the best career of the '24 Class, but will be the best earlier on.

Reactions: Rafterman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like the owners have voted to change how kick offs are done. They seem overly complex and I'm not sure if it will be good. Time will tell

• Wow

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, last I saw was one of the heads predicted him to go to Washington at #2.

Still think Williams will be a bust though. And Bo Nix will be RoY. Might not have the best career of the '24 Class, but will be the best earlier on.

I'm not sure about Williams either. It seemed like he dropped off a little this past season.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Looks like the owners have voted to change how kick offs are done. They seem overly complex and I'm not sure if it will be good. Time will tell

Looks odd to me... Maybe I just have to get used to it.

But the way I see it.. with all the defenders lined up at the 35, all the kick returner has to do is fine a little hole to get through... If he can do that he is gone, only the kicker will be back there in the open field to try and stop him..... Looks to me like there will be an abnormal number of returns

*edit* here’s an example of what the kickoff will look like. You can see exactly what I mean

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I was surprised they didn't "test" it during the preseason, but I guess there is enough video from the XFL to go ahead and implement it.

The biggest issue I have is that there will no longer be surprise on-side kicks. Loved those when they happened.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, that's a good point, I can't imagine that any sort of onside kicks would work now

If a team wants to do an onside kick, they have to notify the Ref and it will done the traditional way.

Also read that the NFL may do games on Christmas Day again. And while I would love having the games to watch on Christmas Day, I am not sure I am fully in favor. Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL but I don't think having games on a Wednesday is a good idea.

Last year the Christmas games were on Monday, so not a big scheduling issue, but players hate games on Thursday, so they are really going to hate Wednesday.

Leave Christmas Day to college bowl games and the NBA unless on a Sat, Sun or Monday.

In other votes, the league has moved the trade deadline back to Week 9 from Week 8 and expanded the replay assist.

I think the one fix they need to do with replay is add "plays that could have been scores or turnovers" to the automatic replay.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If a team wants to do an onside kick, they have to notify the Ref and it will done the traditional way.

Also read that the NFL may do games on Christmas Day again. And while I would love having the games to watch on Christmas Day, I am not sure I am fully in favor. Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL but I don't think having games on a Wednesday is a good idea.

Last year the Christmas games were on Monday, so not a big scheduling issue, but players hate games on Thursday, so they are really going to hate Wednesday.

Leave Christmas Day to college bowl games and the NBA unless on a Sat, Sun or Monday.

In other votes, the league has moved the trade deadline back to Week 9 from Week 8 and expanded the replay assist.

I think the one fix they need to do with replay is add "plays that could have been scores or turnovers" to the automatic replay.

I am the opposite. I love having games on Christmas day... There is nothing to do... Stores and most businesses/recreational places are closed.... My family usually celebrates and has Christmas dinner on Christmas eve.... Then after the kids open presents on Christmas morning, there is nothing else to do.... Christmas day is usually super boring for me. Having a football game on is great. I stopped watching the NBA years ago, and don't really watch college football at all.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I am the opposite. I love having games on Christmas day... There is nothing to do... Stores and most businesses/recreational places are closed.... My family usually celebrates and has Christmas dinner on Christmas eve.... Then after the kids open presents on Christmas morning, there is nothing else to do.... Christmas day is usually super boring for me. Having a football game on is great. I stopped watching the NBA years ago, and don't really watch college football at all.

Oh, I get it. I hate the NBA and I have a very demanding MIL who insists everyone be at her house and sit and stare at each other for most of the day. Boring as hell. And the one year we hosted, I got in trouble for taking my BIL and his two sons out riding in my SXS. We were only gone for like 5 hours AFTER presents and brunch and before dinner. But she still got all peed off because everyone wasn't in a room together. She has really made me hate Christmas for this and other reasons.

So having football on is a great thing. But football isn't like basketball where players are used to playing every other day. They need time to recover to be able to play their best. A short week is not ideal during the playoff push.

Hence wanting some college bowl games on that day.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Oh, I get it. I hate the NBA and I have a very demanding MIL who insists everyone be at her house and sit and stare at each other for most of the day. Boring as hell. And the one year we hosted, I got in trouble for taking my BIL and his two sons out riding in my SXS. We were only gone for like 5 hours AFTER presents and brunch and before dinner. But she still got all peed off because everyone wasn't in a room together. She has really made me hate Christmas for this and other reasons.

So having football on is a great thing. But football isn't like basketball where players are used to playing every other day. They need time to recover to be able to play their best. A short week is not ideal during the playoff push.

Fortunately, my family is PRO-watching football :)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

hmmp

Sounds like me MIL ... fortunately she lives 13 hours from us...

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

All the surprise element will be gone...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm wondering how the NFL will be, now that the defense cannot hit below the knees, the hip, or the shoulders, and cannot touch the head. I understand there's more nuance and details regarding a hip drop tackle, but you're asking 50+ year old referees to make a snap decision at game speed

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm wondering how the NFL will be, now that the defense cannot hit below the knees, the hip, or the shoulders, and cannot touch the head. I understand there's more nuance and details regarding a hip drop tackle, but you're asking 50+ year old referees to make a snap decision at game speed
Lots of missed calls in crucial moments... and lots of missed tackles which will lead to higher scoring games.... But I think the NFL wants higher scoring games so they're ok with that result.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Lots of missed calls in crucial moments... and lots of missed tackles which will lead to higher scoring games.... But I think the NFL wants higher scoring games so they're ok with that result.
its sad to say but thats true, they don't want games full of defense where nobody's scoring, even tho i enjoy that way better, and its gotta suck to know defense isn't the reason you'll win games, it'll come down to what tackle got you the 15 yard flag to keep the play going etc or even not trying to tackle and missing it on a game winning run

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.