Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Darnold may well turn out to be their starter

He may be OK. You can't count his years in NY given the dysfunction of the Jets. He played well in SF and the Viking's HC is from the McVey coaching tree, so he will have an offensive minded coach.

He has talent and might surprise some people.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So it looks like three teams are over the cap at the start of the 2024 league year.

Will the NFL do anything to them, or just take a blind eye?
View attachment 2358923

According to the real time tracker, it's a different three teams:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 5.50.19 PM.png

The Chargers are seriously hosed. Only 50 players signed, and still almost $7 million over.

EDIT: Chart still not accurate:

The Los Angeles Chargers released wide receiver Mike Williams and restructured the contract of edge rusher Khalil Mack on Wednesday, just hours before the start of the 2024 NFL league year at 4 p.m. ET.

I think all teams are compliant now.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The Bills signed WR Curtis Samuel.

Not bad numbers for Sam Howell as your QB (62-613, 4TD, world class speed). He should be productive with Josh.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Keenan Allen to the Bears. Mike WIlliams cut. Herbert is running out of guys to throw to.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I feel the Darnold signing makes no sense to me. Maybe he'll excel there, but he's just been a draft bust, and while I may not be a Cousin's fan, he did a good job in Minn. Maybe they want to tank for next year's draft, though I don't know if the coach has that latitude at this point

When he gets flustered, he makes mental mistakes and throws picks. Ball handling/security could be better as well.

One thing that a lot of college players have adjusting to is the speed of the pro game. Many never do.

Darnold still has to prove he can.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So what's going on with the cowboys? Jerrry Jones said he was all in for '24 but he hasn't done anything AFAIK. Also Dak's cap number is crushing, and while early, the lack of chatter leads me to believe it may be a protracted negotiation like last time.

So with the league year under way can they do anything (renegotiate) with his contract to lower the cap hit or is it too late?
1710502630268.png

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
With Dak Prescott being charged with sexual assault, all the decisions made by Jerry Jones don't matter any more. Prescott will be suspended, and, if convicted, will probably never play again. But, as we know, these things don't move quickly. However, there's no element of "good timing" to bail them out on this.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Keenan Allen to the Bears. Mike WIlliams cut. Herbert is running out of guys to throw to.
And not to mention that they lost Austin Ekeler too who was their biggest weapon. Seems like the Chargers are going in to rebuild mode and are going to waste Herbert's rookie contract.

Reactions: Rafterman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With Dak Prescott being charged with sexual assault,
Not quite charged yet, I wasn't aware of this, but in googling this, its not good. The NFL plays favorites, so they'll not be suspending him anytime soon but it does change how the cowboys move forward

• Wow

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Didn't even hear about the Dak Drama been watching a lot of March Madness But sadly my team ( Nevada Wolfpack ) got bounced in the first round of the Mountain West, but are projected to get a 7 Seed in the NCAA tournament,

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Didn't even hear about the Dak Drama been watching a lot of March Madness But sadly my team ( Nevada Wolfpack ) got bounced in the first round of the Mountain West, but are projected to get a 7 Seed in the NCAA tournament,

Bracket Days ahead. I both love and dred this time of year.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
And not to mention that they lost Austin Ekeler too who was their biggest weapon. Seems like the Chargers are going in to rebuild mode and are going to waste Herbert's rookie contract.

it seems like the Chargers never really get out of rebuilding mode......but last year Herbert signed a five year $262.5 million extension that runs thru the 2029 season.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
it seems like the Chargers never really get out of rebuilding mode......but last year Herbert signed a five year $262.5 million extension that runs thru the 2029 season.

$50 million and Hebert hasn't really done anything yet. At least Allen and Jackson got to AFC championships. But so is the price now of a franchise QB.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
So the Steeler's traded Kenny Pickett to the Eagles and have now traded a Conditional 6th Rnd pick (can become a 4th Rnd pick if he plays 51% of the snaps) to Chicago for Justin Fields.

So I guess this means the Bears are taking the Bust, I mean Caleb Williams with the #1 pick. And Fields still won't have an offensive minded coach, but will have the Diva Russell Wilson to help him. Right!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’m shocked that the Steelers went for fields after signing Wilson. I guess there will be a QB competition in Pitt

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So the Steeler's traded Kenny Pickett to the Eagles and have now traded a Conditional 6th Rnd pick (can become a 4th Rnd pick if he plays 51% of the snaps) to Chicago for Justin Fields.

So I guess this means the Bears are taking the Bust, I mean Caleb Williams with the #1 pick. And Fields still won't have an offensive minded coach, but will have the Diva Russell Wilson to help him. Right!

The Steelers always wanted Fields, now they got him. I say, what the heck, its worth a try. A 4th round pick, at worst, for a potential starter. Not a huge investment. And if he busts, its a 6th, no huge loss.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Drew Lock to the Giants, Garoppolo to the Rams.....everyone needs additional backup quarterbacks these days

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I’m shocked that the Steelers went for fields after signing Wilson. I guess there will be a QB competition in Pitt

Even if he has a good year, Wilson, who will be 36 in November, isn't going to be a long term QB for Pittsburgh. With Pickett asking to be traded, adding a youngster like Fields makes sense.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Even if he has a good year, Wilson, who will be 36 in November, isn't going to be a long term QB for Pittsburgh. With Pickett asking to be traded, adding a youngster like Fields makes sense.

I think Wilson will be gone after one season. He just wanted a place where he could prove himself and get a another $100M plus contract.

Maybe if Fields gets away from the chaos in Chicago he can be a good QB. Lots of people wanted the Bears to keep him, so there is talent there.

Reactions: maflynn

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
This is a head scratcher for me. Why? WHY?😵 If he had stayed a Steelers, he would have a shot at the starting job again in a year or two.

Getting traded to the Eagles was one of the worse landing spot for him. They have a young top 10 QB in Hurts. The chances of Pickett starting any time soon is practically zero.😩 He's setting himself up as a career back up or at best a well travelled journeyman eg Tyrod Taylor, Fitzmagic/Fitztragic, Josh McCown.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Getting traded to the Eagles was one of the worse landing spot for him. They have a young top 10 QB in Hurts. The chances of Pickett starting any time soon is practically zero.😩 He's setting himself up as a career back up or at best a well travelled journeyman eg Tyrod Taylor, Fitzmagic/Fitztragic, Josh McCown.

Hurts with the way he plays is one good hit from being out multiple games.

I would be happy to have a 10-year career as a backup journeyman. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.