Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
He may win the job, but can Russell still play at like he did in Seattle? He was awful the first year in Denver and average his second/last year.
I would give him a pass for the first year because you know.. Hackett... But did he show any signs of the old Russ in his second year? or was he just plain average?

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Mac Jones just traded to the Jags.

Didn't see this one coming. Jones being traded, yes. To the Jags, no.

Guess they worry about Lawrence getting hurt.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I would give him a pass for the first year because you know.. Hackett... But did he show any signs of the old Russ in his second year? or was he just plain average?

Just plain average? Isn't that the definition of a QB that the fans, coaches and management all think isn't really doing what needs to be done and should be replaced??

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A very low pick, almost inconsequential. This doesn't bode well for Field's trade capital, though I understand with Fields, there's more upsides and potential then there was with Jones, but the point remains, the patriots just about gave away Mac jones. I think it would be crazy to expect to see Fields get anything higher then a 3rd, maybe a 2nd

Reactions: Rafterman

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Didn't see this one coming. Jones being traded, yes. To the Jags, no.

Guess they worry about Lawrence getting hurt.

Don't underestimate the value off a decent backup QB. My Bills just resigned Mitch Trubiski. He's not going to tear up the league, but he's got experience and he's decent enough to fill in for a few games and maybe even steal one.

Reactions: Macky-Mac

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yep, looks like Wilson is in fact going to the steelers. Tomlin's a strong coach who is no nonsense, I think this is probably the best move for him

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Baker Mayfield and the Bucs come to terms. 3 year 100 million dollar deal. I was reading something over the weekend, that at one point it seems the buccaneers offered Mayfield 20 million a year and he wanted Daniel Jones money, i.e., 44 million.

I don't consider him a top tier QB and that amount of money seemed like a stretch. His best bet to getting any amount of money was with Tampa, so I'm glad he didn't let his pride get in the way, and he's getting a great deal. Hell, I wish I had a 3 year 100 million dollar contract ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just plain average? Isn't that the definition of a QB that the fans, coaches and management all think isn't really doing what needs to be done and should be replaced??
Yes agreed. That's why I ask how he did.. other than the primetime games I didn't really follow the Broncos much... I know he looked pretty good in that win over the Bills.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Wilson and the Steelers will create another ********* next season. What's he going to do with such a bad offense? They're not going to get close to the playoffs. 35 years and still wants to play, yet the only teams that want him and the ones that completely suck. Would have been the same in NY or Vegas, but the latter would have been the better choice.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Yes agreed. That's why I ask how he did.. other than the primetime games I didn't really follow the Broncos much... I know he looked pretty good in that win over the Bills.

I think Wilson is better than average and when surrounded by a pretty good team, then he'll look "pretty good" too, instead of just better than average.....but he needs a pretty good team, as he had in Seattle, to consistently look "pretty good"

Wilson and the Steelers will create another ********* next season. What's he going to do with such a bad offense? They're not going to get close to the playoffs. 35 years and still wants to play, yet the only teams that want him and the ones that completely suck. Would have been the same in NY or Vegas, but the latter would have been the better choice.

Bad offense? Last season the Steelers were 10-7 and made the playoffs with what everyone seems to say were pretty mediocre quarterbacks.

Reactions: bigjnyc

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Kirk Cousins signs with the Falcons, so that leaves the Vikings without a viable franchise QB. I don't know what they were thinking - there's more teams that need quarterbacks then available QBs. They had a solid QB, that could have taken them to the playoffs but chose to pay him. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Kirk Cousins signs with the Falcons, so that leaves the Vikings without a viable franchise QB. I don't know what they were thinking - there's more teams that need quarterbacks then available QBs. They had a solid QB, that could have taken them to the playoffs but chose to pay him. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, Kirk Cousins was a ecent QB who didn't get enough credit. But he was 35, and maybe the Vikings are thinking not every guy is a freak like Tom Brady and didn't want to pay $40-$50 million for a guy who might be done in a few years. (not sure how much the Falcons paid)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Dang Raiders did nothing today, Lost Jacobs to the Packers and signed a 2rd String QB... looks as of right now same sorry Raiders

I feel your pain. My Bills salary cap problems mean a bunch of restructuring, just to keep the guys we have.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and maybe the Vikings are thinking
The issue is as I see it, who are they going to replace him with? I think they doubted he'd get an offer that exceeded theirs - they played with fire and got burned. They had no succession plan, no backup QB waiting in the wings. I don't think Nick Mullens is going to be the man to move the team forward.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, Hackett wasn’t a good coach. But it was Russell that threw just 16 TDs & 11 INTs.

I think it says a lot about the league’s perception of Russell in that the best he could find was a one year deal at minimum salary.

That said, I wish him well.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
The Vikings are signing Sam Darnold.....the Raiders sign Gardner Minshew.....Broncos rumored to be soliciting interest from local high school quarterbacks

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, Kirk Cousins was a ecent QB who didn't get enough credit. But he was 35, and maybe the Vikings are thinking not every guy is a freak like Tom Brady and didn't want to pay $40-$50 million for a guy who might be done in a few years. (not sure how much the Falcons paid)

$180 with 90 guaranteed. So basically 2 years at $45 per. High, but not horrible.

Reactions: Rafterman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.