Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Keep in mind that the salary cap went up significantly this season and will continue to do so. As long as the cap continues to increase you will see these crazy QB salaries continue to increase as well. Teams know they can't win without a good QB and a lot of teams are desperate for one.... So if the current team doesn't pay up, another team certainly will.
I agree, the ever increasing salary cap is the culprit.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The state of QBing in the NFL has dropped so much, even slightly above average guys are making bank now.

Which is probably why some teams are going all in on rookie QB's and using the money they aren't paying the QB to pay other positions.

Look at SF as an example.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Which is probably why some teams are going all in on rookie QB's and using the money they aren't paying the QB to pay other positions.
It's a huge gamble going this route. Seldom do you hit the jackpot like with a pro ready rookie like the Texans last year, Dallas with Dak. Most of the time you get the rookie who needs a few years under the belt. Sometimes you whiff. I bet Pittsburgh wants a mulligan on the Kenny Pickett draft and the Browns want redo on the Couch, Weeden, and Johnny Football picks.

I think teams going all in on rookies are doing so because the dearth of quality QB1 available. The Penix draft was a head scratcher though. No one I've talked with could wrap their heads around that pick. If it were a late 1st round pick, yeah, they would understand, but not a top 10 pick.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Look at SF as an example.

This is a great strategy if you can hit lightning in a bottle with a QB on their rookie contract... For example SF as you said and I think Texans have a good shot with Stroud as well, as they are building nicely around him...... But eventually you have to pay the piper and if both of these guys keep playing well you have to give them one of these insane contracts when the time comes.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I read a "power rating" of NFL QBs and Mahomes of course #1. Then #2? CJ Stroud. Ahead of Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

*sigh*

I hate when the media gets enthralled with a player to the point of ridiculousness. Stroud is promising to be a big time guy, but after one year, he's already better than Allen or Lamar? Like when the media was ready to hand the Lombardi to Baker Mayfield after one year.

Good grief.

• Haha
Reactions: Mousse and bigjnyc

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I read a "power rating" of NFL QBs and Mahomes of course #1. Then #2? CJ Stroud. Ahead of Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

*sigh*

I hate when the media gets enthralled with a player to the point of ridiculousness. Stroud is promising to be a big time guy, but after one year, he's already better than Allen or Lamar? Like when the media was ready to hand the Lombardi to Baker Mayfield after one year.

Good grief.

It's like the hype gets to their heads like regular fans..... Media folks have to be able to set that aside and think rationally. Joe Burrow should also be above him, unless this was retroactive to last season where he was hurt.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
i hope the rumors are not true because it has the Raiders Saint last game of the season, but we also have a "black friday" game i guess we shall see

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Broncos play 3 out of their first 4 games away. Our first home game is week 2 against Pittsburgh.

Hopefully our defense gives Wilson a warm welcome back to Denver.

• Haha
Reactions: Don Quixote

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
He he he...

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 10.17.45 PM.png

Reactions: Herdfan and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hopefully our defense gives Wilson a warm welcome back to Denver.
People say that a superstar elevates the players around them, i.e., they seem to make the other players better. In wilson's case I always thought that the team elevated him. He had some remarkable years in seattle, but he also had a one in a lifetime defense, a running back that was so punishing that everyone feared him and not the passing game.

I don't know how many times Wilson put the team on his back and won games, but I suspect its far fewer then other Qbs that are considered top tier.

As long as the Denver's defense is dynamic and mixes up their looks and rushes him, he'll be struggling

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
There is a very real chance that the Mavericks and Stars will join the Rangers holding championship trophies.

That would leave the Cowboys as the only major team in the Metroplex without one. That is going to be a lot of pressure on Dak and 'Boy's.

I don't think there is any more pressure than is already brought by one Jerral Wayne Jones Sr., who is 81 and not gettin' any younger.

I know it's easy to root against the Cowboys, and that I do, but I also can't help but feel for the guy, watching the aftermath of their flameouts, when he tries so hard, and fails.

May not always agree with his decisions, or how the team operates, but he cares, about his team, and the league, which a lot of his fellow owners can't claim.

Last edited:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I don't think there is any more pressure than is already brought by one Jerral Wayne Jones Sr., who is 81 and not gettin' any younger.

What I don't understand as it relates to Jerry is that he had what, 3 SB's in 6/7 years after he bought it and then it went to 💩.

What changed? While he may not have had another Aikman, Romo and Dak aren't exactly bottom feeders. I think he falls in love with certain guys and then overpays them and has no money left to fill up the rest of the roster with quality players.

I will say it now, Dak is not worth $55M/Yr. But I am going to bet he gets it.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
What I don't understand as it relates to Jerry is that he had what, 3 SB's in 6/7 years after he bought it and then it went to 💩.

What changed? While he may not have had another Aikman, Romo and Dak aren't exactly bottom feeders. I think he falls in love with certain guys and then overpays them and has no money left to fill up the rest of the roster with quality players.

I will say it now, Dak is not worth $55M/Yr. But I am going to bet he gets it.

Jimmy Johnson? Who, IIRC, had some friction with Jones caused by the claim for credit for their success, and only recently patched things up.

Granted, Barry Switzer could be used as a counterpoint to that, but he managed to get a ring, albeit probably riding on the coattails of Johnson's teams.

In many ways, the Cowboys are very similar to the Raiders, in their past history of success, and more recent failures, caused by a litany of bad decisions, made by their headstrong owners who should probably ease off and let what good people they have do their jobs. Jones and Davis were buds, and peas in a pod.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Jimmy Johnson? Who, IIRC, had some friction with Jones caused by the claim for credit for their success, and only recently patched things up.

Granted, Barry Switzer could be used as a counterpoint to that, but he managed to get a ring, albeit probably riding on the coattails of Johnson's teams.

In many ways, the Cowboys are very similar to the Raiders, in their past history of success, and more recent failures, caused by a litany of bad decisions, made by their headstrong owners who should probably ease off and let what good people they have do their jobs. Jones and Davis were buds, and peas in a pod.
Well I wouldn't call them failures. They've mostly had winning records and made the playoffs.

The RAIDERS, that is what failure looks like.

Reactions: TheIntruder

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Antonio Brown files for bankruptcy, despite $80m in career earnings.
I saw this video come across my feed last night and it provides context and some details as to why he lost all of his money. The Yter also mentioned that while spotrac shows he made 80m he doesn't see 80m, due to a number of factors, such as taxes

On one hand, its rather sad, but on another its hard to feel sympathetic to a person who had so much promise, so many gifts, and so much money

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Lmfao screw brown, dude had a nice contact with the raiders but went stupid mode. he deserves everything that comes to him..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.