Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I wonder if the Apple Store App will open up the setup to preorder the AVP. I also wonder when pricing will be released and what options it might have. I guess they don't want folks taking too long to think about the large price, especially with options.

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I wonder if the Apple Store App will open up the setup to preorder the AVP. I also wonder when pricing will be released and what options it might have. I guess they don't want folks taking too long to think about the large price, especially with options.
I’d hope that the day before it would open up the scanning, but I’m not counting on it. The store app will say the store is getting ready for an amazing experience or something similar right up until it opens for preorders. I’m just hoping it’s not a crapshoot and the servers can handle the people scanning their faces and ordering the device.

• Haha
Reactions: 4sallypat

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I’d hope that the day before it would open up the scanning, but I’m not counting on it. The store app will say the store is getting ready for an amazing experience or something similar right up until it opens for preorders. I’m just hoping it’s not a crapshoot and the servers can handle the people scanning their faces and ordering the device.
Yeah, not counting on it either. The tab is already there on the Apple Store app, just makes sure you are updated to the current app for now.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yes, this is a great idea to scan your face before the pre-order morning.

I was hoping not to use my iPhone for the purchase as I have had issues on launch days not getting my order in at 5am.

iPhone orders I have always done thru my Mac desktop.

Wish Apple would allow using web cams like my Studio display for scanning my face for the order.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Im Worried about paying now. I just tried to use my Apple Card to buy a large Apple gift card and it got rejected. I contacted Apple and they said there’s an overall issue and Apple Pay is down at the moment …

• Wow

BrokenBrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
Yes, this is a great idea to scan your face before the pre-order morning.

I was hoping not to use my iPhone for the purchase as I have had issues on launch days not getting my order in at 5am.

iPhone orders I have always done thru my Mac desktop.

Wish Apple would allow using web cams like my Studio display for scanning my face for the order.
The issue with using a standard webcam like the Studio display's is that it senses no depth information. The FaceID sensor uses the dot-projector for measuring this, which is required to get an accurate face measurement for the light shield.

BrokenBrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
Luckily the scanning should all be happening in-app w/o needing to ping their servers. The scan likely just spits out some light shield SKU that will fit your face (probably with some sizing label for future reference) that it plugs into your order.
Whether or not the Apple Pay servers will be up to the task is always a crapshoot... 😅

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
Ok, what’s the smart move on Friday to ensure I get one before they sell out? Do I just order online as soon as orders open at 8am (I’m on the east coast), or do I try to book a demo at a nearby Apple Store for sometime that day, do the demo, then buy it in store?

Ideally I’d love to get a demo, but not at the cost of the initial allocation selling out before I place my order.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Ok, what’s the smart move on Friday to ensure I get one before they sell out? Do I just order online as soon as orders open at 8am (I’m on the east coast), or do I try to book a demo at a nearby Apple Store for sometime that day, do the demo, then buy it in store?

Ideally I’d love to get a demo, but not at the cost of the initial allocation selling out before I place my order.
If you want to be assured of getting the first batch with a delivery date of 2/2/24, best to make sure your Apple Store app is updated, signed into it, payment ready, and you are connected to a fast WiFi signal at 8am (5 am for west coasters) this Friday.

Hopefully you will get a choice of store pick up or delivery on 2/2/24/

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
If you want to be assured of getting the first batch with a delivery date of 2/2/24, best to make sure your Apple Store app is updated, signed into it, payment ready, and you are connected to a fast WiFi signal at 8am (5 am for west coasters) this Friday.

Hopefully you will get a choice of store pick up or delivery on 2/2/24/
Ok, that sounds like the best plan. I think I’m ready but the only doubt I have is that the card I want to use is a British card (I’m a Brit living temporarily in the US). I’m assuming I can use that card via ApplePay in the Apple Store app, that works for me usually - I bought something small the other day to test that it works. But I have a nagging worry that they might do something to restrict purchases only to people with a US billing address in ApplePay because it’s a US only release. I guess if that does happen I’m screwed.

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
So I’m going to guess ordering using desktop Mac [apple.com] would be a no-go since you need to scan using apple store app which is for iPads,iPhones

BrokenBrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
So I’m going to guess ordering using desktop Mac [apple.com] would be a no-go since you need to scan using apple store app which is for iPads,iPhones
I've heard rumblings (no confirmation yet) that you still might be able to order through a Mac, and it will just connect to your phone for the scan and send the info back to the Mac.

But even if that was possible, I'm guessing that will add even more time for the whole order process so I'm just gonna try iPhone/iPad directly

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I've heard rumblings (no confirmation yet) that you still might be able to order through a Mac, and it will just connect to your phone for the scan and send the info back to the Mac.

But even if that was possible, I'm guessing that will add even more time for the whole order process so I'm just gonna try iPhone/iPad directly
This is good news!

I rely on ordering all my Apple stuff thru a computer (web).

Based on poor past experiences with iPhone ordering on pre-order day has been less than ideal.

I'll have both on hand just in case.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
24 hours and 8 minutes to go.

Are they seriously not going to provide any more information about the AVP before preordering goes live?

(I considered starting a new thread for this, but this seems as good as any place to ask the question.)

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Good luck to everyone putting in a preorder, not an option in my country. Will be interested to hear what people think when their Vision Pro’s finally arrive.
If you have Apple Pay, I believe it is an option.

Apple Pay isn't even available in the country that I live in, but because I have a UK debit card I was able sign up with a fresh UK Apple ID, and add the card to Apple Pay there. Then just change the Apple Store (not "App" Store) location to the US, and supposedly you should be all set.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Well i guess i can’t preorder since my Apple Card flat out wont work on apple.com and none of their advisors can fix it😑

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.