Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next-generation iPad Pro models are expected to be announced in a matter of weeks, so what can customers expect from the highly anticipated new machines?

M3-iPad-Feature-3.jpg

The 2022 iPad Pro was a minor update that added the M2 chip, Apple Pencil hover, and specification upgrades like Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 connectivity. The iPad Pro as a whole has generally only seen relatively small updates in recent years, but rumors indicate that the next-generation ‌iPad Pro‌ will be the first major update to the product since 2018, introducing "fundamental changes." Below are some of the most important rumors about the new machines to be aware of as we approach their announcement.

Revamped, Thinner Design

The iPad Pro has retained the same design through four successive generations since 2018. Multiple reports suggest that the biggest design change coming to the new models will be a substantial reduction in thickness, reducing from 5.9 mm to 5.1mm and 6.4mm to 5.0 mm, respectively.

13-inch-ipad-pro-2024.jpg

CAD renders indicate that there will be no other major design changes, but there have been vague reports about the device potentially featuring a landscape front-facing camera like the 10th-generation iPad, a much more natural placement for video calls when using a Magic Keyboard. Rumors dating back to 2021 have suggested that a relocated front-facing camera is headed to the iPad Pro. Such a change would likely also require changes to the location or charging system of the Apple Pencil, since the wireless charging components for the accessory are currently located where the camera would move to.

Earlier rumors suggested that a glass back could come to a future iPad Pro model, which would be a major design change for the device, but it is no longer clear if this is still a possibility.

M3 Chip for Improved Performance

The next-generation iPad Pro is widely expected to feature Apple's M3 chip to deliver improved performance and efficiency.

m3-feature-black.jpg

The M3 is based on the A17 Pro chip, which is manufactured using TSMC's 3nm fabrication process. In benchmark tests, the M3 outperforms the ‌‌M2‌‌ by about 17% in single-core tasks and approximately 21% in multi-core tasks. A tentpole feature of the M3 is a completely redesigned GPU with hardware-accelerated ray-tracing, leading to dramatically improved graphics capabilities. In GPU performance, measured by Metal benchmarks, the M3 exhibits a notable improvement of around 15% over the ‌‌M2‌‌.

4TB Storage Option

Apple will offer next year's OLED iPad Pro models with a 4TB storage option, a rumor coming out of Asia claimed. Since 2021, the iPad Pro has been available with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB of storage.

If Apple increases the maximum storage of its forthcoming OLED iPad Pro models to 4TB, it would likely also increase the base storage to 256GB to maintain five capacity categories, making all seventh-generation models capable of recording ProRes in 4K at 30fps.

It is also worth noting that iPad Pro RAM is variable based on storage capacity, so iPad Pro models with 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB of storage come with 8GB of RAM, while iPad Pro models with 1TB or 2TB of storage feature 16GB of RAM. Whether that means a 4TB iPad Pro would feature 24GB or 32GB of RAM is unknown, but not improbable.

OLED Display Technology

OLED display technology is perhaps the most anticipated upgrade coming to the next-generation iPad Pro models. The current 11-inch model features an LCD display, while the 12.9-inch model has a mini-LED display.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

Apple already uses OLED displays on the Apple Watch and iPhone, but has yet to bring the technology to larger devices. OLED displays use less power, sport greater color accuracy, and provide much better and more consistent contrast than LCD displays. As a significant upgrade, the change will likely be very prominent in the Apple's marketing materials for the next-generation iPad Pro.

Bigger Screens and Slimmer Bezels?

The new iPad Pro models are also rumored to get display size increases from 11- to 11.1-inches and 12.9- to 13-inches, facilitated by slimmer borders around the screen.

ipad-pro-m1-feature.jpg

This would allow the footprint of the devices to remain the same while increasing display size. The slight increases are unlikely to add any meaningful functionality to the device, but they would provide a more modern "all-screen" appearance. However, display analyst Ross Young has since cast doubt on this rumor as it may simply be a misinterpretation of screen size rounding.

Higher Prices

The more advanced OLED display technology in the next-generation models is expected to drive up the iPad Pro's price, with current estimates starting at $1,500 and $1,800 for the 11-inch and 13-inch models, respectively. Pricing on the current 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799, while the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $1,099. Models with cellular connectivity are available for an additional $200 over the base price for each storage tier.

More recent reports suggest that the price hikes may have been overstated and they may not exceed a $160 increase, but it does look like higher prices are on the way.

Improved Cameras

The iPad Pro has had the same 12-megapixel main rear camera with a ƒ/1.8 aperture since 2017. The 12-megapixel ultra wide camera with an ƒ/2.4 aperture and brighter True Tone flash have also remained the same since its introduction on the 2021 iPad Pro. Camera upgrades are... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: 2024 iPad Pro: Key Rumors to Be Aware of Ahead of Announcement

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
It’s the Higher Prices part that’s getting me. I’m debating between upgrading either my M1 MBP or my 2018 iPad Pro. This would be a nice screen, but I’m still not seeing much of a reason to upgrade either.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
It’s the Higher Prices part that’s getting me. I’m debating between upgrading either my M1 MBP or my 2018 iPad Pro. This would be a nice screen, but I’m still not seeing much of a reason to upgrade either.
iPad Pro 13” is by far my main consumption device and I don’t buy it every year so I’m willing to spend more. But I want top specs and also I worry about 0 day controversies i.e. bend gate etc.

Reactions: Jovijoker

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
[sarcasm]
Please, Apple, PLEASE let this upcoming M3 iPad Pro have either a notch or Dynamic Notchland. And please don't bring back Touch ID. Also, please make sure it still has no headphone jack because, just as you claimed with the iPhone 7, you really need to save space inside 11-inch and 13-inch tablets.

Tim Cook forever!
[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That $1500 starting price prediction for the 11.x" was always ridiculous. That prediction made no sense whatsoever.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm thinking they may delete the 128 GB model and start at 256 GB, for the price of the existing 256 GB model, at US$899, effectively increasing the base price by $100. Or at most to $949, increasing the base price by $150.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
That $1500 starting price prediction for the 11.x" was always ridiculous. That prediction made no sense whatsoever.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm thinking they may delete the 128 GB model and start at 256 GB, for the price of the existing 256 GB model, at US$899, effectively increasing the base price by $100. Or at most to $949, increasing the base price by $150.
They keep regurgitating that dunked rumor.

Reactions: AlexMac89 and EugW

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Soon due to the price hike, the only way to buy the device is signing up multiyear contract and pay in instalments. Or worse, cancel outright purchase option altogether for US customers. Why? I don’t know. Just my gut feeling, but price hike is highly likely imo.
I want M3, but I can’t justify 20% price increase just for M3. Don’t tell me Apple would just uhh double/triple the price every 5 or so years like Australian property markets.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
Tye M3 chip will go to waste again in this. I had the M1 and got rid of it. I now use a 2017 MBA and a 2012 MBP, and I can do a lot more pro things.

The only thing I miss is the great display, but I pretty much only enjoyed that when watching movies. You have to have the keyboard case to stand it up and make it usable anyway, and the durability of that case was shockingly poor.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Does this thing still not come with calculator? Not that it’s the most important thing, but I do use it on my Mac and they’ve never really explained why it shouldn’t have one, especially in a ”laptop experience“, “pro” device.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
The hardware is not the crippling part of the iPad Pro, the software is. Honestly, it’s needs to have a proper desktop mode where you can run desktop apps.
Exactly, only reason they not doing that is worry over cannibalize their laptops. Typical Tim Cook bean counter thinking, screw the product itself…..that m3 is more than capable to handle mac so, or how convenient it will be for users to have a desktop experience on the iPad. But never going to happen under cook.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
The more advanced OLED display technology in the next-generation models is expected to drive up the iPad Pro's price, with current estimates starting at $1,500 and $1,800 for the 11-inch and 13-inch models, respectively. Pricing on the current 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799, while the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $1,099.

Almost double the current price it's insane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.