Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2021
There will always be the "I'll buy it just for aesthetic" tier. Gotta attracts consumers.

It's also keeps this tier's users a reason to upgrade a couple of years.

That was why retail stock has always been 8GB.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
Well actually it works backwards from “obscene margins required always”, then thinks about other things.

Last on the list is always “is this the best product for consumers that we could make at this price point?”
Overly cynical. Their margins are high but not obscene on base products. Where the issue becomes pronounced is when adding RAM and especially storage. That's where Apple's pricing strategy becomes most brazen and unfortunate.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I am borrowing a Macbook Air M1 8gb/512 storage and it is absolutely blowing my mind.

I'm an App developer. I've worked on the same 16gb Mac Mini Late 2012 for 12 years now. Honestly, I'd still be there if Xcode installed on macOS High Sierra. Alas, I finally had to start thinking about upgrading If I want to release & keep my iPhone Apps updated in the Appstore. Dang forced OS upgrades.

That's why I am borrowing this Macbook Air M1 from my wife. It. Is. AMAZING! So dang snappy! Plenty enough speed and memory to make iPhone Apps for me. So I've decided, I'm getting one of those Amazon deals of an M2 Mini (499!) to replace my old Mac Mini. Cheaper and way more powerful.

If I am a programmer why don't I update more often? I'm just happy making apps. I could do that on a rather old device so it's all good!

But I think now my plan will be get one of these Apple Silicon (M2 which will even further blow my mind) for only $499 and then trade it in for a M3 Mac Studio if they are announced at WWDC 2024!

I figure that's a computer I can probably sit on even longer than my old trusty 2012 Mac Mini! :cool:
You just joined the forum and are quite similar to Apple PR, hmmm….🤔

Tuck_

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
These products are still very expensive for many people, especially in third world countries. Apple is still keeping the 8gb/256 version for a reason. Macbook Air is great for watching some content, listening music, using MS Office programs etc. and 8 GB of ram is still more than enough for these daily tasks, and helps Apple to sell more devices, and reach more people with limited financial capabilities.
Only if you take apple at their word that 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage both cost $200.

Which is of course complete and utter nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruftzooi

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Personally, I do think M4 will continue with 8GB RAM, I think it will be M5 before we see 12GB coming as a base spec, but along with that we will likely see a £100 increase in price across the board.

Yep, I'd be quite surprised if the base model M4 MBA gets 12GB of ram "unified memory" as standard...

I think the base model M5 MBA will get 12GB, and it will stay that way for several years (ie up to base model M9 or M10 MBA).

And even more controversial...MBA upgrade paths will be to 18GB ($200/£200/€200 extra) and 24GB ($400/£400/€400 extra).

Apple gives...and apple takes.

Last edited:
Reactions: javisan

onFIRE

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2022
I suspect the base model is good enough for most people, including developers. But most people, including myself, also get worried about going with the base model because we can’t bump the specs if we find that the base is not sufficient.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Rubbish, everyone needs more than 8/256. Everyone.
That is simply not true. Tech nerds like us are not everyone.

My mother doesn’t need more than 8/256. I do, but there is no world in which she does. Why should she be forced to buy a more powerful machine than she needs/wants?

You can buy whatever configuration you want. People feeling the need to claim they know what strangers do and do not need is the height of arrogance.

Prices are a whole other ball of wax, but saying “everyone needs more than 8/256”is simply incorrect.

Edit: @Howard2k pointed out he was being sarcastic, for the record, but leaving this up since unfortunately there are those who actually believe everyone needs more.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
That is simply not true. Tech nerds like us are not everyone.

My mother doesn’t need more than 8/256. I do, but there is no world in which she does. Why should she be forced to buy a more powerful machine than she needs/wants?

You can buy whatever configuration you want. People feeling the need to claim they know what strangers do and do not need is the height of arrogance.

Prices are a whole other ball of wax, but saying “everyone needs more than 8/256”is simply incorrect.

I know. I didn't specifically mark it as sarcasm because I thought it was so incredibly obvious. But yes, sarcasm. :D

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
For a lot of people 8GB is enough if they are only browsing the web, listening to music, taking notes, watching youtube/netflix but for an Apple product (due to how expensive they are) it is criminal to only offer 8GB.

Fortunately, I think Apple will "soon" finally boost the base RAM. If the rumors are true about a cheaper MacBook (chromebook competitor) then they will probably put 8GB in that and increase the Air. Also, MacOS this year will be interesting if they are going to go hard with AI like in iOS. AI needs more RAM and storage. AI will use as much RAM (on the GPU side but since it's unified I said RAM) as you can throw at it.

When the next redesign happens, with or without M4 chip, I bet they will boost the RAM to 16-18GB minimum with 24-36GB options for BTO.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
For basic tasks, any laptop with an SSD from the last 15 years, be it a MacBook or another brand, is more than sufficient for most users. These can be found at very reasonable prices, eliminating the need to overspend on features that won't be utilized.

However, for those who require more advanced capabilities, investing in a new MacBook with a faster chip can be justified. It's all about matching the technology to the user's needs, which, as you rightly pointed out, haven't significantly changed for the majority of users in the last two decades.

The vast majority does not have any need for a MacBook M3 with any amount of RAM or storage. This is precisely why the choice of buying one with such enormous capabilities and having basic functionality hamstrung by measly storage and RAM or the alternative of overspending by 1000% is so utterly outrageous.

Reactions: Altis

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
Yep, I'd be quite surprised if the base model M4 MBA gets 12GB of ram "unified memory" as standard...

I think the base model M5 MBA will get 12GB, and it will stay that way for several years (ie up to base model M9 or M10 MBA).

And even more controversial...MBA upgrade paths will be to 18GB ($200/£200/€200 extra) and 24GB ($400/£400/€400 extra).

Apple gives...and apple takes.
I think this is right on point. I truly believe these will be the new configurations once they finally find the courage to do so. Although I do think there is at least a 50% chance this will happen with the M4 rather than with the M5.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This may be a hot take, but the fact that Apple is shipping even their Pro laptops starting at 8GB of RAM gives me hope that they will prioritize keeping MacOS and software for it from being bloated and demanding. The last thing they want is Macs having a reputation of being sluggish, so if they are still confident putting out 8GB machines, they must intend for them to be able to run well for some years yet.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I've already said that I owned an iMac with 8GB ten years ago, and it wasn't enough. I upgraded it to 24 GB, and went on to use that iMac for 8 years. Maybe that is why Apple doesn't want people doing post-purchase upgrades anymore. They don't want Macs lasting that long.

Apple advertises video editing as a primary use for Macs. The cloud is unusable for that, because even some hard drives aren't fast enough to keep up with ProRes 422 LT.

In fact, a 256 GB drive can only hold 51 minutes of ProRes 422 LT 4k video. You have to convert all your footage to this in order to edit. Wedding videos typically run over two hours.
What percentage of MBA customers are doing significant video editing on their computers? Who would choose a fanless laptop as their primary device for professional video editing? I can understand doing an occasional simple iMovie or whatever, but if I were in the business of making wedding videos for a living, I would not be using a MBA. I would use a MBP.

This keeps happening, posts that overlay spec requirements on top of a MBA consumer base that does not exist.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
256gb is enough?

Come and have a paddle in my think tank for a couple of minutes…

The current iPhone (15) comes with 128, 256 or 512gb.

The current iCloud SLA doesn’t offer a backup guarantee and recommends your own local backup for critical data (i.e everything on my damn phone these days), and best practice recommends grandparent, parent, child copies.

So…

HOW THE HELL IS THE 256GB ON MY LATEST MODEL MAC ENOUGH TO RELIABLY BACKUP MY LATEST MODEL PHONE?

I need to buy an upgraded or Pro Mac JUST SO I CAN BACKUP😰
Or just buy a PC and do everything on it your Mac can do. Cheaper. That’s the route I’ve gone. My wife’s near $5,000 studio Mac has had its storage replaced twice. And now it’s back at Apple for a motherboard replacement. She’s a software engineer and has had to resort to using a gaming PC I built last year.
She’s selling the Mac Studio and having me build her a computer with the money.

22 years of an old Apple family. Done. And gone forever.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
256gb is enough?

Come and have a paddle in my think tank for a couple of minutes…

The current iPhone (15) comes with 128, 256 or 512gb.

The current iCloud SLA doesn’t offer a backup guarantee and recommends your own local backup for critical data (i.e everything on my damn phone these days), and best practice recommends grandparent, parent, child copies.

So…

HOW THE HELL IS THE 256GB ON MY LATEST MODEL MAC ENOUGH TO RELIABLY BACKUP MY LATEST MODEL PHONE?

I need to buy an upgraded or Pro Mac JUST SO I CAN BACKUP😰

You don't have to buy a 256GB phone, and you don't have to buy a 256GB MacBook. You can change the capacity of both devices at the time of purchase. As long as you make an informed purchasing decision you'll be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.