Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Not everyone finances their computers. I don't.

I think it's still a valid total cost of ownership calculation. I set myself an offset budget every month for IT expenditure. While I don't finance it, this money gets set aside in the savings pool ready for when I do need to replace something or see something really shiny that makes me go ooooh and aaaaah.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What are some key MacBook Air consumer use cases that call for more than 8GB? Just curious, since mine only gets used as a travel/casual machine.

The only thing that comes to mind is editing videos on Final Cut Pro (and you don’t want a MBP for some reason). Maybe if you like to have a ton of files and browser tabs open?

They probably exist, they are also probably more the exception than the norm, and that’s why Apple is comfortable providing the base model MBA with 8 gb ram. Because they know that’s what suffices for the mass majority of their user base.

Reactions: jchap

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
And there is also the fact that the cost of these upgrades is ridiculously high compared to what Windows users pay. A TB of external storage from Scandisk costs $85. It's $400 from Apple. Plugging external storage wrecks the ergonomics of a laptop, and risks being accidentally unplugged during a write.

Side note: Apple's prices for iCloud are designed to make things difficult. 50 GB is not quite enough to back up your 64 GB iPhone. The 200 GB plan is just small enough that you can't back up your laptop. And the 2 TB plan costs 9.99 a month. You could buy a new 2 TB plater drive every seven months for that! And if you ever NEEDED those backups? How long does it take to download 2 TB?
All of these are valid points (except for the point about external storage wrecking the ergonomics of the laptop… how would storage actually have any effect on the physical accessibility and usability of a laptop, aside from the fact that it has to be “tethered” to the laptop in order to be usable?).

There was actually news here recently about a class action lawsuit against Apple, regarding the fact that Apple limits users to backing up their iOS devices to their own iCloud backup service, rather than using a third-party cloud solution like Dropbox.

Apple wants to have the foothold and corner you in on storage. Aside from being a source of revenue for Apple, there may be good technical reasons for this, such as that Apple can control and monitor how well the data transfer process works when it’s their in-house solution.

Still, like you mentioned, cloud storage can end up costing a lot when you go all the way. The other alternative is to back up locally, which I believe can still be done on iOS/iPadOS devices via iTunes and a USB cable. It’s a more primitive solution, but it doesn’t cost anything extra aside from local or external HDD/SSD storage space.

Of course, we are talking about storage here, not memory, which was the original topic of this thread…

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Lots of people THINK they will have no problem with 8/256, and will be very disappointed six months after purchase. Once they have a new mac, they will discover new use cases, and then discover that their new mac isn't up to the task.
Sometimes that is true. For others, the base works just fine. People on MR need to remember that by and large, they don't represent the average user / buyer. The bulk of Apple sales are stock configs.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Sometimes that is true. For others, the base works just fine. People on MR need to remember that by and large, they don't represent the average user / buyer. The bulk of Apple sales are stock configs.
I’m curious as to what percentage of the users on Macrumors are satisfied with base model configs for their use cases, as opposed to “power users” who go for the mid-level standard stock configs and finally the BTO/CTO models.

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2024
There was actually news here recently about a class action lawsuit against Apple...[...]

Can people let Apple just exist? Can they just leave Apple alone?!? So annoying all the 'mOnOpOlY' lawsuits against Apple. Everyone really wants to turn Apple into another generic DELL or HP.

I like my walled garden thank you very much.

• Angry
Reactions: turbineseaplane

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I get it. I can afford things too. But I don’t like being fleeced. 200 quid for 8gb of ram is being fleeced to the highest degree.
It’s just Apple taking your money and then slapping you in the face with it.
No one is forcing you to buy Apple. I have a maxed out RAM on MBP M1 Max 16 inch. But I have a shared family base MBA M2 with 8GB. As long as Apple keeps the price low enough, I don’t mind 8GB, don‘t need 16 GB.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I’m curious as to what percentage of the users on Macrumors are satisfied with base model configs for their use cases, as opposed to “power users” who go for the mid-level standard stock configs and finally the BTO/CTO models.
I have both extremes, maxed out M1 Max with 64 GB RAM and a shared MBA M2 with 8 GB for family use. I am happy with both, my kids and wife love the MBA M2, and I use it for light dev work. My main workhorse is the M1 Max with 64 GB, along with an AMD/Nvidia Linux workstation. If you want to upgrade RAM cheap, use a AMD/Nvidia combo.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
No one is forcing you to buy Apple. I have a maxed out RAM on MBP M1 Max 16 inch. But I have a shared family base MBA M2 with 8GB. As long as Apple keeps the price low enough, I don’t mind 8GB, not need 16 GB.
What a weird thing to say. I don’t think I mentioned being ‘forced’. I like Apple products. I just said I don’t like being ripped off. If you don’t mind being ripped off then that’s fine. Nothing to do with me though.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
What a weird thing to say. I don’t think I mentioned being ‘forced’. I like Apple products. I just said I don’t like being ripped off. If you don’t mind being ripped off then that’s fine. Nothing to do with me though.
Don’t buy if you think you are being ripped off. I haven’t bought an Apple MacPro or Mac mini well over a decade. I prefer to have ability to upgrade my workstations, mostly GPU. Apple doesn’t offer my option, I buy something else. I never buy something which makes me feel ripped off, Apple or some one else. If I think MBA is a ripoff , I wont buy.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm just happy that one of the stock configurations is 16/512. I don't know if that was the case before, but it means there will be more of them in the wild because a lot of places don't sell any BTO configs (Costco, for example) and that often means only 8GB RAM is available through them.

ETA: my 2016 15" MBP that I purchased in 2017 when the prices dropped as the new model came out cost me about $2200. It has 16/512. This MBA, which I can get with the same config and slightly larger screen for $1700, would destroy it in every area except TB ports and running Windows apps. You're getting more for your money than ever, so just keep that in mind.

Also, my actual upgrade was a 2021 M1 Max 14" MBP with 64/2, so I quadrupled both specs and it completely crushes my old MBP. I spent $2600 in 2023 for it with AC+, which is less than the $2,734.76 inflation-adjusted total of my old machine. My Mac laptops tend to last me 6-10 years, so I'm getting great value for a yearly investment of about $325-350. Yes, I build PCs for less than that, but they don't tend to last as long without needing at least some components replaced, either to maintain acceptable performance or keep them working at all. Given I spend 90-95% of my personal computing time on my Mac, I'm getting a much better ROI from them.

Last edited:

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2024
‘Poor Apple’ is what you’re trying to get at here? I think they’ll be alright man. I’m not sure they care as much about you as you do about them though.
No, what I am getting at is I don't want to be in the rando, unreliable PC mess I was in for decades. "Oh but it's so open!". I like the walled garden. I'm an app developer. I dont want to put my Apple apps all over the place on multiple stores like my Android apps I develop. I prefer the walled garden.

Reactions: Timpetus

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023
I don't have that much of a problem with the 8 GB of memory in MBA's base configuration. MBA is an ultra-slim notebook without fans that focuses on extreme portability and light work (web surfing, video streaming, word/powerpoint etc.) while offering a generally smooth experience, noiseless operation, and long battery life. And it achieves that goal 100%. It targets a "general user" demographic, which more often than not is perfectly fine with 8 GB even in 2024, based on its workload. Would 16 GB be helpful? Probably yes, they might improve performance in some cases (e.g. multiple chrome tabs open). Are they needed for all people/workloads? Not necessarily, as described above. (Now, if a user buys the wrong machine for the task of interest - which is more often than you'd think the case -, that's another story; I would not buy a 8 GB MBA for heavy video/graphics related tasks, as I would not buy a M2 Ultra simply for web surfing.)

The problematic issue, IMHO, is that the base MBP model, which, by definition, targets user with more demanding tasks, starts at 8 GB. This is bad product segmentation. The Pro machines should start at 16 GB and the MBAs should start at 8 GB.

Another issue is, of course, the ridiculous cost of memory and storage upgrades. But this is another discussion that we have done many times on this forum and elsewhere.

TL;DR: There is target group for 8 GB memory, and it is the target group of MBA. The problem is when 8 GB of memory is base config for the "Pro" laptop.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
What are some key MacBook Air consumer use cases that call for more than 8GB? Just curious, since mine only gets used as a travel/casual machine.
I'm really enjoying AI art tools. There is a program called Draw Things. Lots of mac ads suggest that video editing is reasonable on 8Gb. But that is only true for short simple things. If you start learning and getting creative, you'd run into problems.

This is why you play long term. I upgraded all my NAS and networking to 25Gb. Got some external 25Gb devices that work over Thunderbolt. I also need access to my now 200+ TB. No external will help.
You shouldn't need to know what any of that means in order to use a mac.

how would storage actually have any effect on the physical accessibility and usability of a laptop, aside from the fact that it has to be “tethered” to the laptop in order to be usable?
That's what I meant by Ergonomics. Imagine yourself on an airplane and having that drive hanging off of a USB port.

Sometimes is enough. The average user can't know what the average user really needs. And everyone starts as "average" anyway before becoming engaged and empowered by their machines. I'm actually using a base Studio right now. My previous mac lasted 8 years.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The 2024 MacBook Air was just announced but Apple still offer

8GB Unified Memory​

256GB SSD Storage​

This is crazy just crazy Apple you just crazy​

Why is anyone surprised that the M3 MacBook Air starts off with 8 GB of memory. The M3 MacBook Pro starts off with 8 GB of memory. The M3 iMac starts off with 8 GB of memory. Of course the MacBook Air will start off with 8 GB of memory. Apple isn’t about to let the entry level M3 MacBook Air entry machine be anyway superior to an entry level M3 MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Timpetus

MazingerZND

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2022
Why is anyone surprised that the M3 MacBook Air starts off with 8 GB of memory. The M3 MacBook Pro starts off with 8 GB of memory. The M3 iMac starts off with 8 GB of memory. Of course the MacBook Air will start off with 8 GB of memory. Apple isn’t about to let the entry level M3 MacBook Air entry machine be anyway superior to an entry level M3 MacBook Pro.
I think everyone's point is that no Mac should come with 8GB standard...the Air is just the latest iteration of the issue

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
What large apps? Did gaming on the Mac suddenly take off?

Never said "large apps". Never spoke of gaming either. Incidentally, any app running over the cloud will not be faster than any app running locally. It's not practical. Also, if I wanted a Mac for the purposes of running apps in the cloud, I'd save money and just buy a Chromebook.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

That is dangerously incorrect. You always want to have overhead. Maxing out your RAM usage on that principle is a fantastic way to wear out your boot drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.