Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’m curious as to what percentage of the users on Macrumors are satisfied with base model configs for their use cases, as opposed to “power users” who go for the mid-level standard stock configs and finally the BTO/CTO models.

My M1 MBA (base model) is still going strong. I have used roughly about half of the 256 gb of storage, and if it’s being ram constrained, I can’t say I have noticed it.

On a side note, I subscribe to 50 gb of iCloud storage, and have used about 40 gb so far, syncing photos and storing other misc stuff. This is with 256 gb iPhones and iPads.

Profession - teacher, so nothing heavy. If I do upgrade, it’s primarily for the larger 15” display.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Year 2004 MacBooks: 8 GB RAM
Year 2024 Macbooks: 8 GB RAM

Thanks Apple, I guess maybe in 40 years you will increase the base RAM to 16 GB.

There were no MacBooks in 2004, the iBook G4 introduced in April 2004 had 32 MB of video ram, 256 MB of slow ram and costed $1,796 in today's dollars.

With $1,499 today ($300 less) you get a Macbook Air with 24 GB of ultrafast unified memory.

What have you tried doing with the base 8GB unified memory that you find slow for the price point?

You might as well pretend the base model doesn't exist and just think the base one now has 24 GB for $300 less than in 2004.

The base 8GB mac mini is an excellent performer for $500, and Apple knows a lot of people get best-in-class performance with those systems (especially graphics) compared to anything else in the market, people certainly appreciate having a cheaper option.

For people needing more RAM, there are options as well, both in Apple line-up and elsewhere. You can have the base Mac come with 24 GB of unified memory and cost $1200 or you can have a lower-based 8GB model for $500, you can also do whatever make sense for your use case.

Truth is there's nothing exactly like it on the market today (for example, Windows laptops perform abysmally unplugged or have awful battery life) and as long as the base Macs perform so well and beat the competition Apple has no reason to pay too much attention to these baseless complains.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Great news! Apple no longer forces you to stick with base configurations!

Sarcasm aside, those upgrade costs remain on the steep side, but they’re available. And I don’t think they need to go past 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD for base systems as yet. Several of the people for whom I choose setups would still be on those minimums if they upgraded today. Two would actually survive just fine on 128GB SSDs. Probably wouldn’t notice 4GB RAM either, to be honest.

And on my Windows PC I could choose those things! But it’s Windows, and it’s giant, and it’s inefficient, and it’s loud. But hey, you do you. Choose Apple and whine that it’s not MS… on an Apple forum. 🤷‍♂️

Asbow

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2020
And what most people missed, due to bad communication, was that at the same wattage, the M chips did outperform Nvidia's comparable cards. They weren't just saying that the M beat the RTX flat out, it was at a ridiculous low wattage that the M was trouncing the RTX.
That’s like saying I am faster than Usain Bolt because I can walk faster than he can.

• Haha
Reactions: Howard2k

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Sure but what is it stopping you from doing?

I am encountering the spinning beach ball of death more often than I should be on an Apple Silicon Mac, yes.

Is swap not working super speedy on the SSD drives?

It is sometimes. Though, the fact that it's speedy to the point of me not noticing it doesn't negate the fact that it's happening at all to begin with. If one has enough RAM, you ought to not need swap unless you're doing something that pushes the machine to its limits. That's what swap is for. I shouldn't be needing to swap on ten browser tabs, Mail, and Messages. The notion that this is acceptable behavior because I'm not "feeling" the slowdown is absurd.

Do you just not want to blast through too many TBWs?

Who does???

If you're actually getting memory notices... Or massive hicups... You might be one of those 'non casual' or 'light users' who needs to permanently forget 8gb and start at 16gb with 512 storage or use alt storage drives.

Again, I'm talking ten browser tabs (a small amount for even casual users), Mail, and Messages. This isn't one of those "you're holding it wrong" scenarios. I'm using the machine for basic purposes, like all of you "8GB of Memory is enough for most user" folks keep saying this machine is for, and I am seldom with green memory pressure.

If that's not "casual computing" use cases, then I challenge someone to give me a more up to date definition. Anyone paying over $1000 for a Mac should forget 8GB and start at 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage.

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
During the fall, I wanted to wait for the M3 air thinking it would bring at least 12GB base models. When Apple introduced the base M3 MBP, I knew the M3 air would still have a 8/256 base configuration so I ordered a base M2 air. I don’t regret my choice. The base M2 works great for what I need it to do and I’m sure the M3 will be ok too.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
You are missing that people don't usually know what the future holds, and can no longer adapt after purchase.

Ten years ago I bought an iMac with 8 GB of ram, and within months it was clear that wasn't enough. So I put another 16 GB in, no problem. Today that would certainly be a problem. Web storage is cripplingly slow, intermittent, and can render many applications unusable. And Apple places nonsensical limitations on what can be placed on an external drive. For example you can only backup your iPhone to the internal drive. What happens if your phone and Mac both have 256 GB of storage? Train wreck.
I still don’t get it. If someone is worried about RAM they can configure 16 or 24 GB. No one makes you buy it with only 8 GB.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I would like to downgrade my 16” macbook pro to a 15” air but the lack of ram & gpu cores put a dint in my use.

There is simply no customisation options for the air which sucks. I will just hang onto to my pro max for as long as it’s supported.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
If Apple introduced an base model with 16GB Unified Memory and 512 SSD at starting price of $1499 i bet people like OP would crying about the price....
OP you can configure your Mac you know if you need the extra memory, for those who dont need, why they should pay the price increase?! this is narcissism. We are talking about their Macbook Air and not the Pro
Macbook Air and Mac Mini should always have a good pricing start

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple logic:
8GB of fast RAM is ALL you will ever need. Rest is achieved by 256GB slow RAM. So your machine has 264GB of RAM by default.
:rolleyes:
Who cares? Cloud storage is a thing nowadays. I have 10TB +.
Until the internet is cut.
10tb of ram ? must be nice indeed
Yeah CLOUD RAM also. Must be nice to access it at 5MB/s on the go. :D
Why are people talking about cloud storage?

This is about RAM on device
Yeah but some are just making fun of it while others may not know the difference between RAM and storage devices.

Reactions: jchap

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Do you know a lot of other laptops with 8gb ram for $999-$1600?
There are...i know Dell have around that price point with windows license included, but they all lack in cpu/gpu power compared to M3...so why we fool ourselves ?
But is Apple selling an $1600 base mac with just 8Gb Ram? serious question

xacwhite

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2023
The 2024 MacBook Air was just announced but Apple still offer

8GB Unified Memory​

256GB SSD Storage​

This is crazy just crazy Apple you just crazy​

I am so confused why everyone things this is crazy? The price on this is $1099 for 8/256 ($999 for education and for the M2 Base, $899 for M2 education, that's awesome) if Apple drops this config the starting price for M3 will be $1499 ($1399 education) $300 - $400 more. Thats quite a bit of money especially for a student. Apple isn't going to make the 16/512 $1099. And honestly if you're someone that doesn't know how much ram you need or just want the cheapest Mac laptop, you probably don't need 16 GB of ram. And would happily take the $400 less machine and be happy. There's a lot you can do with 8 GB of ram on these machines, and if you're someone that just does safari internet browsing, note taking, tv watching, music listening, online classes, homework or other lighter tasks. I just don't see what it matters keeping this in the line up. It offers a cheaper entry point for Mac laptops.

concentricity

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
You're not getting OP's and my point:
We are in 2024, 16 GB RAM should be the absolute minimum for laptops.
The mass storage (SSD) in a base model 2024 MacBook is faster (~2.7-2.9GB/s) than the RAM was in a top of the line 2004 PowerBook G4 (2.6GB/s). And that 8GB of RAM you're whining about is almost 40 TIMES FASTER. But sure, let's all pretend the quantity of RAM is all that matters. It's not like Apple engineers are brilliant and provide an insane amount of value in those entry level MacBooks. Does it get tiring being so wrong/such a troll?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
There is simply no customisation options for the air which sucks. I will just hang onto to my pro max for as long as it’s supported.

You’re kidding right? When you buy it through Apple you can choose to customize the configuration. Want an Air with 16GB? You can do that. It’s right there in Apple.com.

IMG_6999.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.